Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
95 registered members (AnnInMiami, achoo42, Chernobieff Piano, anotherscott, 36251, Brendan, Bett, 26 invisible), 1,115 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
parents who don't answer texts, emails #2854218
05/31/19 12:08 PM
05/31/19 12:08 PM
USA
C
chasingrainbows Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
C

USA
This parent doesn't answer any of my texts or emails unless i follow up with another text. Last month, I asked for a better way to communicate, and for that month, she answered within 24 hours. Back to normal again, she doesn't confirm receipt of my messages regarding lesson changes or cancellations, or payment reminders. I would drop them, but I really care for the student. I suspect she will claim she didn't get the message that lessons are rescheduled and ask for a credit.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2854253
05/31/19 01:44 PM
05/31/19 01:44 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
She’s definitely receiving them? We have had similar in reverse with my son’s guitar teacher, the text service is just really unreliable.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2854258
05/31/19 01:47 PM
05/31/19 01:47 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Try a phone call.

Semipro Tech
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: BDB] #2854266
05/31/19 01:59 PM
05/31/19 01:59 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
I’m totally with the OP on preferring (I presume) written communications. That way there is a record so they’re covered in case of payment disputes, plus it’s a pain in the neck trying to catch people on the phone. Personally I avoid phone calls and I don’t like receiving them either!

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2854270
05/31/19 02:06 PM
05/31/19 02:06 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
I text from an iPhone and have SMS texting enabled. Even so, I send texts that are not received by non-iPhone users. I would suggest an email with read receipt notification enabled. I would also consider adding a text:

Failure of notification that this re-scheduled time is not acceptable will not entitle the student to a missed lesson credit’

P.S. I am not a piano teacher

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2854311
05/31/19 04:16 PM
05/31/19 04:16 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I've had this happen, too, but the best you can do is just follow up and ask if they received your previous text and restate the previous text. A lot of people don't check their emails unless they're expecting an email. I'd try all forms of communication if it's a change in schedule, including a note home with the student (if you know a week in advance).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: ShyPianist] #2854340
05/31/19 05:48 PM
05/31/19 05:48 PM
USA
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

USA
Originally Posted by ShyPianist
I’m totally with the OP on preferring (I presume) written communications. That way there is a record so they’re covered in case of payment disputes, plus it’s a pain in the neck trying to catch people on the phone. Personally I avoid phone calls and I don’t like receiving them either!

Most of the time, people are working when it's appropriate to call, or having dinner, etc. I also never answer the phone, unless it's expected. And texting provides a record for me that I did contact my families.. All my families say they prefer texting. This is an absent parent -- never shows up for kid's lessons. Only texts me for the "results." She uses her kid's lesson time to shop.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2854342
05/31/19 05:50 PM
05/31/19 05:50 PM
USA
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

USA
Argh, she NEVER replies to emails.

dogperson, I like that suggestion. I will use it! Thanks.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2857161
06/10/19 04:44 AM
06/10/19 04:44 AM
Australia
M
Mariner Online content
Mariner  Online Content
M

Australia
I find the same with piano teachers. Their phones almost always go unanswered so I leave voice messages, SMS or missed phone calls and half of them never bother responding. They could potentially be teaching my children for the next decade so I’m surprised they don’t bother trying.

I get no feedback or contact from our music school other than for fee payment. When I cancel our account at the end of the term I wonder if they’ll decide to call to try talk us out of it.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: Mariner] #2857189
06/10/19 09:14 AM
06/10/19 09:14 AM
Canada
pianist_lady Offline
pianist_lady  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Mariner
I find the same with piano teachers. Their phones almost always go unanswered so I leave voice messages, SMS or missed phone calls and half of them never bother responding. They could potentially be teaching my children for the next decade so I’m surprised they don’t bother trying.

Not to excuse that behaviour, because it's frustrating, but those teachers probably are probably extremely busy and have full studios. I don't respond to phone calls while I'm teaching, and if I see a voicemail at 8:00 or 8:30pm after my last student or rehearsal, I'm definitely not going to deal with it until the next day or so. If it's a busy performing season and my studio is full anyway, those phone calls are at the bottom of the to-do list. Email is much better because I can use pre-written responses to inquiries and reply when convenient.

Private piano teacher
B. Mus., M.Mus. (piano performance & pedagogy).
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: pianist_lady] #2857196
06/10/19 09:47 AM
06/10/19 09:47 AM
M
mostlystrings Online content
mostlystrings  Online Content
M

By the nature of this forum, we would expect that teacher observation of parent behavior occurs and is reported on more often than parent observation of teacher or school behavior. I interact with 30-40 families on a regular basis but would hope that a student finds a teacher long before having contacted 30-40 teachers.

Originally Posted by pianist_lady
Not to excuse that behaviour, because it's frustrating, but those teachers are probably extremely busy and have full studios. I don't respond to phone calls while I'm teaching, and if I see a voicemail at 8:00 or 8:30pm after my last student or rehearsal, I'm definitely not going to deal with it until the next day or so. If it's a busy performing season and my studio is full anyway, those phone calls are at the bottom of the to-do list. Email is much better because I can use pre-written responses to inquiries and reply when convenient.

Same for me. There is a contact form on my website that asks for (among other info) email and phone, music background if any, the desired class or level or observation schedule, where you found me, and best time to call although in most cases I respond by email. If I get a direct phone call, I just have to make sure I find out all those things, then I will still ask for an email for schedule and logistics.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2857309
06/10/19 04:43 PM
06/10/19 04:43 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
I make it a point to answer phone messages, texts, and e-mails within 24 hours at the absolute latest. I don't take calls or answer texts during lessons, obviously, but I check between students.

Several of my students' parents are very bad at answering texts, so I text the kids directly. I get a much faster response that way.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: pianist_lady] #2857340
06/10/19 06:34 PM
06/10/19 06:34 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by pianist_lady

Not to excuse that behaviour, because it's frustrating, but those teachers probably are probably extremely busy and have full studios. I don't respond to phone calls while I'm teaching, and if I see a voicemail at 8:00 or 8:30pm after my last student or rehearsal, I'm definitely not going to deal with it until the next day or so. If it's a busy performing season and my studio is full anyway, those phone calls are at the bottom of the to-do list. Email is much better because I can use pre-written responses to inquiries and reply when convenient.

Same here. I try to respond within 24 hours, and I prefer text messages so I can respond, rather than email which I do at my computer which I don't see as often. But I do not respond to anything while I'm teaching, which can go well into the evening. If I'm performing, I may not get home until it's too late to respond (I usually don't respond after 9pm).

[Linked Image]
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: AZNpiano] #2857342
06/10/19 06:37 PM
06/10/19 06:37 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I make it a point to answer phone messages, texts, and e-mails within 24 hours at the absolute latest. I don't take calls or answer texts during lessons, obviously, but I check between students.

Several of my students' parents are very bad at answering texts, so I text the kids directly. I get a much faster response that way.

Yes, I'm finding it much easier to text the older students than to text the parents. There are some kids I don't think I've ever met or talked with them - not even at recitals!

[Linked Image]
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: Mariner] #2857877
06/12/19 04:54 PM
06/12/19 04:54 PM
USA
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

USA

I get no feedback or contact from our music school other than for fee payment. When I cancel our account at the end of the term I wonder if they’ll decide to call to try talk us out of it.

I once attended a monthly meeting where the chairperson stated that she never takes phone calls. I prefer to speak directly to parents if it's regarding their child's progress or lack thereof, but for lesson scheduling, makeups, etc. text works best as it serves as my record of what was discussed, and often, time is of the essence, and phone calls/emails aren't always received as quickly as texts.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2857879
06/12/19 04:56 PM
06/12/19 04:56 PM
USA
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

USA
I usually answer all text messages immediately, when possible, or at least by the end of the day.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2858063
06/13/19 08:29 AM
06/13/19 08:29 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
I'm very much an anachronism - I don't send or receive texts at all. I tell all my students that an old-fashioned voice phone call is the most reliable way to reach me. My wife mans the phone while I teach, and in the worst case scenario, they can leave a message on the (equally old-fashioned) answering machine.

I can actually send and receive texts, but I have to get on a computer and log in to Google Voice to do so. I only check it once a week or so.

I do not use one of those fancy new stupid-phones. I've never understood why on earth anyone would want such a leash around their neck!

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2858131
06/13/19 11:03 AM
06/13/19 11:03 AM
USA
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

USA
Dr. Rogers, I teach primarily young students and their parents are very tech-savvy. They rarely answer emails, almost never answer their phones, and I quickly had to adjust and learn that texting works best.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: chasingrainbows] #2858155
06/13/19 11:39 AM
06/13/19 11:39 AM
M
mostlystrings Online content
mostlystrings  Online Content
M

Do schools and other large organizations have mass texting systems now (robo-text, rather than robo-calls)? Surely parents don't expect dance class or sports to text them individually about schedules and things. How else do they manage to get information - is it sent out by email, sent home on a piece of paper, put on a website? I have never once communicated with a doctor or dentist via text either, nor utility companies, very rarely a plumber/electrician/contractor type.

Re: parents who don't answer texts, emails [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2858169
06/13/19 12:18 PM
06/13/19 12:18 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
I'm very much an anachronism - I don't send or receive texts at all. I tell all my students that an old-fashioned voice phone call is the most reliable way to reach me. My wife mans the phone while I teach, and in the worst case scenario, they can leave a message on the (equally old-fashioned) answering machine.

I can actually send and receive texts, but I have to get on a computer and log in to Google Voice to do so. I only check it once a week or so.

I do not use one of those fancy new stupid-phones. I've never understood why on earth anyone would want such a leash around their neck!

Here is why email and text work for me:
Asynchronous: sender can send message at his or her convenience and I can receive the message at my convenience. Same for the reply.
Speed: Reading a written message is considerably faster than listening to a spoken message whether live or recorded. The more messages there are, the more significant the time savings.

Learner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions about Feurich Grands?
by ShiroKuro. 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Hand Discomfort
by Anna123. 06/26/19 02:52 PM
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt
by PHollis. 06/26/19 01:37 PM
Estonia Concert Grand
by LovingPianos. 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Ebony Sharps - how low is too low
by DougD. 06/26/19 12:34 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,726
Posts2,842,343
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission