Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
97 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, anotherscott, Chopin Acolyte, 36251, Brendan, Bett, achoo42, 26 invisible), 1,128 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic #2857759
06/12/19 11:03 AM
06/12/19 11:03 AM
S
Snicklefritz Offline OP
Snicklefritz  Offline OP
S

I played on several pianos at a showroom recently and like the action of the Avant Grande N2. I liked the action better than that of the silent piano. However, I’m undecided on going with something that is purely digital. That is, if the electronics go bad I’m left with nothing.

I do need to be able to practice with headphones so I don’t disturb family in the late evening or early morning.

The most important thing to be though is a good action. I’d like to have less of a transition when going from a digital or hybrid over to another piano.

Then I heard about the transacoustic pianos where you can choose to switch to the digital sound and turn volume down without having to use headphones.

What have others’ experiences been with these 3 piano types?
I don’t have space for a grand piano so that’s completely out..,

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857763
06/12/19 11:14 AM
06/12/19 11:14 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
That is, if the electronics go bad I’m left with nothing.

You are talking about 11th year and beyond, right? Because my Avantgrand came with a 10 year warranty. I will not be left with nothing during the next 10 years unless I've abused it myself.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2857773
06/12/19 11:41 AM
06/12/19 11:41 AM
S
Snicklefritz Offline OP
Snicklefritz  Offline OP
S

True,

I think what I’m really getting it is do I need an acoustic with an add on to play with headphone later or to turn the volume down

Or would I be better off with the N2

Trying to decide

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857775
06/12/19 11:49 AM
06/12/19 11:49 AM

True,

I think what I’m really getting it is do I need an acoustic with an add on to play with headphone later or to turn the volume down

Or would I be better off with the N2

Trying to decide

OK. That's a valid, but different point then the electronics going bad.

You say you like the action of the N2 better than the acoustical silent piano. The N2 has a Yamaha acoustical grand piano action. Are you comparing this with the action of an acoustical silent upright piano? Because I can imagine these could be different. (Not speaking first hand - I just realized that I have never once even tried an acoustical upright piano in my entire life! shocked laugh )

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2857776
06/12/19 11:56 AM
06/12/19 11:56 AM
S
Snicklefritz Offline OP
Snicklefritz  Offline OP
S

Yes, I am comparing the N2 with acoustic uprights as well as acoustic “silent” hybrids.

Due to space considerations a baby grand would take up too much space

So I have to get something in an upright style cabinet.
Problem is I got spoiled growing up on a Steinway D😂

So I like the grand piano action much better, but can’t decide on the acoustic options available

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857778
06/12/19 12:02 PM
06/12/19 12:02 PM

Problem is I got spoiled growing up on a Steinway D😂

So I like the grand piano action much better, but can’t decide on the acoustic options available

If you grew up on a Steinway D and like grand piano actions much better, I would be surprised if a TA will satisfy you as there is no TA model with a grand piano action.

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2857780
06/12/19 12:19 PM
06/12/19 12:19 PM
Portugal
D
DPAfficionado Offline
DPAfficionado  Offline
D

Portugal

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: DPAfficionado] #2857783
06/12/19 12:35 PM
06/12/19 12:35 PM

Nice! Want! smile (ok, someday when I don't have an upstairs neighbor that pounds on my ceiling (his floor) every time my piano makes a sound! cry )

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857788
06/12/19 12:50 PM
06/12/19 12:50 PM
Varna
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Varna
I don't see many major failures with the Yamaha AvantGrand pianos but you can search the forums. Yamaha has been making the N2 for a very long time so we might assume the newer ones are even better.

Obviously the N3x, N1x, and NU1x "updated" models have been released over the past few years. These look suspiciously similar to the previous AvantGrand N3, N1 and NU1, although there are some changes (e.g. that popular new binaural sound).

The AvantGrands have real piano actions so the mechanics eventually require some regulation/maintenance.

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857791
06/12/19 01:05 PM
06/12/19 01:05 PM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
However, I’m undecided on going with something that is purely digital. That is, if the electronics go bad I’m left with nothing.

I do need to be able to practice with headphones so I don’t disturb family in the late evening or early morning.

Not sure this argument holds, if the electronics go bad on a transacoustic you have the same problem for late evening or early morning playing.

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857796
06/12/19 01:15 PM
06/12/19 01:15 PM
London, United Kingdom
H
Hecarim Offline
Hecarim  Offline
H

London, United Kingdom
I kinda think not buying a DP because of concerns around electrical failure might be an overcautious approach. Like, your whole house might be back in the glorious days of the XVII century if a few wires go wrong, as much as a plane can turn into an equally glorious gliding tin in case of major electrical failure that makes the engines stop doing their thang.

Now, it's true that some homes and some planes do have more redundancies in place than a piano, but equally, the reasoning can apply to anything from a toaster to a 100k Tesla. DP's are not something that tends to randomly go wrong that often as far as I can see. Sure, some people get defective products and then they shout as if the world has ended, but I do believe that can happen if you buy an acoustic, too. So just go with what you really really want.

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2857798
06/12/19 01:19 PM
06/12/19 01:19 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

You are talking about 11th year and beyond, right? Because my Avantgrand came with a 10 year warranty. I will not be left with nothing during the next 10 years unless I've abused it myself.

Did you buy an extended warranty? AdvantGrand's only come with a 5-year warranty.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-38 Completed
Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: David B] #2857817
06/12/19 02:06 PM
06/12/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Did you buy an extended warranty? AdvantGrand's only come with a 5-year warranty.

You're right! I stand corrected.

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857819
06/12/19 02:08 PM
06/12/19 02:08 PM
S
Snicklefritz Offline OP
Snicklefritz  Offline OP
S

Look people! I’m looking for feedback on the quality of the sound and action on the three groups of pianos.

I grew up on a Steinway D
My house is not the size that can handle a grand piano
I need to be able to play at off hours

Who here has compared the N2 with “silent” Yamaha uprights, upright TA Yamahas, OR who has retrofitted an existing upright with an electronic mechanism to have digital capability (forget what it’s called but think it runs 4-6k)

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857823
06/12/19 02:31 PM
06/12/19 02:31 PM
Varna
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Varna
My apologies.

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857830
06/12/19 02:50 PM
06/12/19 02:50 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
I would (and did) get an N1X over an upright. I don't care for upright actions, and we already have an acoustic upright in my house that no longer gets played. And the sound from the N1X is superior to any upright I've played in the same price range. The N2 uses an older sound generation system though, so YMMV.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: DPAfficionado] #2857855
06/12/19 03:49 PM
06/12/19 03:49 PM
Southern California
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Southern California

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857859
06/12/19 04:05 PM
06/12/19 04:05 PM
Southern California
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Southern California
FWIW, I traded in my CA97 for a Kawai K200ATX2. I liked it, but I couldn't play it without head phones. It was too loud and they don't have speakers. (The new Aures does.) I found the sound was inferior to the CA97 even as an acoustic in a small space. I paid to have it regulated and bought $$$ of acoustic foam and rugs. After two months I traded it back for a Kawai CS11. The tone and the touch was much better both with headphones and without.

I would love to have a nice grand piano. However, in a home with other family and the fact that I am practicing more than playing music, I prefer these hybrids to a small upright.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2857870
06/12/19 04:28 PM
06/12/19 04:28 PM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

My opinion is nothing beats acoustic, to me not even an avantgrand beats a decent upright. But avantgrand's are amazing when you need or want a digital for whatever reason, and they do have a better action than an upright piano. (Except for the nu1(x), that's an actual upright action)

Re: Avant Grande N2 vs Yamaha “silent” vs transacoustic [Re: Snicklefritz] #2858068
06/13/19 08:36 AM
06/13/19 08:36 AM
London, United Kingdom
H
Hecarim Offline
Hecarim  Offline
H

London, United Kingdom
Look people! I’m looking for feedback on the quality of the sound and action on the three groups of pianos.

I grew up on a Steinway D
My house is not the size that can handle a grand piano
I need to be able to play at off hours

Who here has compared the N2 with “silent” Yamaha uprights, upright TA Yamahas, OR who has retrofitted an existing upright with an electronic mechanism to have digital capability (forget what it’s called but think it runs 4-6k)

I've played the N1X, a U1 silent and some B-series uprights at Yamaha showroom (together with another plethora of models), among those in my mind the N1X is a clear winner in terms of both action and (aaah blasphemy!!) sound. Action-wise, I am really not a fan of Yamaha uprights, I find them a bit harsh and stiff compared to other brands. Sound-wise, whilst the vibrancy and brightness of Yamaha sound is something I love in high-end grands, I don't really like it in the context of uprights, as in my mind it highlights the limitations of the instruments more than it should.

The only thing that will not make me buy an NV10 (or an N1X if they offer me a silly deal) is a Kawai Aures, which I will try in a few weeks' time. Thing is, I've grown up on uprights and love their flexibility, but it ain't easy to go back to upright when you try stuff like hybrids with actual grand actions. Yes, you don't feel the string vibrating and all of that, but I don't really care about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions about Feurich Grands?
by ShiroKuro. 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Hand Discomfort
by Anna123. 06/26/19 02:52 PM
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt
by PHollis. 06/26/19 01:37 PM
Estonia Concert Grand
by LovingPianos. 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Ebony Sharps - how low is too low
by DougD. 06/26/19 12:34 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,726
Posts2,842,334
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission