2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#285758 06/16/08 01:32 PM
T
T
Honestly, I highly doubt that your cats would jump into the piano while you are playing, but one thought I had is that you could just hand a thin bed sheet of some sort off the edge of the piano so that it drapes over the open side. If a cat can't see where he will land, or at least where he can jump into, he won't try to jump. IE, if he doesn't know that there's anything beyond the sheet, then it won't ever come up. Also, the sheet would be easy to remove if you want.

Though if it were me, I probably just wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye out for the cat when you have the lid up. Also who knows, you may even decide that you prefer to not have the lid up most of the time.

#285759 06/16/08 01:37 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
TEHunter1

And here before completing my reading of your post, I though it was about to head towards: "....who knows, you may even decide that you prefer the cat inside the piano." smile

In most likelihood, I might not have it up most of the time. It depends on what state the pieces are in. For learning notes and metronome practice, not necessary. For more advanced refining work, probably necessary at times.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
#285760 06/16/08 01:54 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Prodigal -

I've heard of shake cans, never thought they'd be very effective but your post suggests otherwise, especially for noise-averse kitties, which, alas, Mojo has already demonstrated he is rather noise-philic by his apparent love of the piano noise (oops I mean music).

It's sounding like nobody has heard of such a device as I have envisioned and that most think it will be unnecessary. Having never before had a grand piano - just a spinet that gets walked all over no matter how loud I'm playing - I simply assumed this was going to be a problem. I'll hope for the best, I guess, and it doesn't sound like my idea would have much of a market after all.

SantaFe_Player
#285761 06/16/08 01:56 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ProdigalPianist:
I live with Maine Coons so squirt bottles are only useful as toys.

However, I will share my 'patent pending' Cat Deterrent - The Shakey Can of Doom.

As spoiled and catered to as my cats are, there are things I won't tolerate. This handy-dandy device will not damage cats (or anything else it makes contact with), can be tossed at an errant cat who's giving you the "you gonna get up and MAKE me???" look, and makes an ungodly racket when it lands. As a bonus, it can be left on surfaces you'd like to pretend that the cats stay off when you're not around.

Take a common aluminum soda can. Wash all sticky residue from the inside, rinse and let dry. Put pennies inside (how many depends on personal preference, a half-dozen should do). Tape up the hole. It can be shaken at naughty cats. It can even be tossed at particularly criminal ones, without risk of hurting them or damaging things. Soon even *reaching* for it does the trick.
Great idea. Works with dogs too.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
#285762 06/16/08 02:30 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
You have dogs in your piano?

SantaFe_Player
#285763 06/16/08 02:46 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
No.. but our Sheltie, Mojo (imagine that), loves to lay by me while I play.

The noise can breaks a dog's focus really well, and they come to see it as a cease and desist signal.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
#285764 06/16/08 02:49 PM
W
W
Would draping a net over the lid work? You could stow the net when the piano is closed.

#285765 06/16/08 02:55 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Werner - I thought about a net, but I wonder if he would just consider it to be a fun, new jungle gym.....I'd need a strong one because he's an extremely sizeable cat. Not wide - in fact I call him my "string bean" but big (long and tall) and heavy.

Michael - Mojo! Imagine that. Maybe the name inspires in quadrupeds something to do with music.

SantaFe_Player
#285766 06/16/08 04:34 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Nahh. He just has great taste in humans. laugh

Seriously, though. If i am playing he will come from anywhere in the house to be there and stretch out on the loveseat nearby. If I play 2 hours, he's still there.

Michael

====

#285767 06/16/08 04:40 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by SantaFe_Player:
That would be pretty effective way of keeping cats out of the piano.

#285768 06/16/08 04:52 PM
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Originally posted by SantaFe_Player:
That would be pretty effective way of keeping cats out of the piano.
But then you'd have to put in a lion to keep out the dog, an elephant to keep out the lion, a mouse to keep out the elephant, a cat to keep out the mouse and you're back where you started...

#285769 06/16/08 05:36 PM
K
K
Thanks for the ideas! I too have four cats and have thought about this issue myself, while I wait for my Estonia to complete its leisurely sail across the Atlantic. At least one of the cats liked to sit on top of my old upright while I played and this is the one I suspect may have a keen interest in investigating the interior of a grand! Maybe a few "bad" (but not harmful) experiences may change his mind, if he tries anything!

#285770 06/16/08 05:48 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Get one of those Chinese screens that are several feet high...I've seen some that are done somewhat open in design - so as to not interefere with the music - but would interfere with a cat trying to get to the piano.

[Linked Image]

#285771 06/16/08 06:03 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
The Shakey Can of Doom (SCoD) does not work on my dog. To the contrary - it just spurs her on to new heights of exhuberant naughtiness. And she loves to freak out the cats with it.

A cat's first introduction to the SCoD generally comes along with a liberal dosage of "No! NO! NO!!! MAMA SAID NO!!!", so the cats get the point.

Even a Bengal should figure out that it's a cease and desist order. ;o)

I have only told one person about the SCoD who could not get it to work, she told me. She was the "now, honeyyyyy, don't do that....no, no, no sweetie" type (so am I, generally, but not when I want to correct bad behavior). When I was visiting her house and the aforementioned "impervious" cat jumped up to get inside the box with the freshly delivered pizza, I very quietly picked up the SCoD and snuck up on him and launched a surprise attack...he vaulted several feet in the air and went several directions at once.

One strong correction is worth several hundred feeble attempts. =)

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
#285772 06/16/08 06:41 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Kugelis - you'll have to let me know what issues arise with your inquisitive one smile

Hmmm, a Chinese screen. Kluurs, that gives me a different train of ideas....or maybe one of those Middle Eastern ones with the wood filligree. There's a thought, if I could get it close enough to the piano body to make the logistics difficult for the cat.

The shakey can might be worth a try as well. It (or some variant thereof) has been discussed for years as a standard piece of training equipment, although I can see where a dog might be more pleased than perturbed (new toy! New toy!! Woof!).
Will let you know, Prodigal, if my Bengal 'gets it.' I don't think Bengals as a breed are particularly dense, I just think this one isn't the sharpest knife in the block. Big, sweet, handsome and dumb.

Think I'll do without the whole elephant in the piano thing, Mikewu99. Besides, where would I find a mouse? They seem to avoid my house for some reason. I've never paid attention to whether the elephants stay away.

SantaFe_Player
#285773 06/16/08 06:49 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I might have missed a response, but did you consider Mikhailoh's string cover suggestion? It doesn't stop the cat getting in, but limits the damage if it does.

I'd keep the cat out when playing, but that's not the answer you wanted, is it smile .

Depending on the size of your room, you may find you are not always playing with the lid up. Another thought.

Du holde Kunst...
#285774 06/16/08 11:22 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by cah77388:
I own cats, and would be surprised to see them get into the piano when you are playing.
Well, this has actually happened to me on more than one occasion. Really gets me going, too. The cat, sadly, doesn't seem to care how mad I get. laugh

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

#285775 06/16/08 11:45 PM
What an educational thread! We are already deciding how many SCoD we need at our house. I think they will work rather well.

We have cats who are scared to go outside because I have done the extreme "NO, NO, NO, MOMMA SAYS NOOO!" at an earsplitting level just a few times. They must have good recall.

I was going to suggest a large piano shawl to cover the opening, but then I pictured the ones I have seen, and they usually have fringe. That's nothing but a cat magnet. So scrap that idea.

The SCoD seems the best option, and we will be making several. Ours may be afraid to go outside, but indoors they think they own the place.

#285776 06/17/08 01:27 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Well, I am desperate enough to try the can thing recommended by Mikhailoh. I have a stubborn, obstinate cat that really allows me, as a special favor, to feed and care for her. She doesn't get inside my grand, but does leap on top of it. In order to protect the finish, I have it covered with a --shudder, shudder, shawl. Hate the thing, but it does protect the lid from minute scratches. I rush to get it off the piano when anyone is coming, but really have not come up with anything better to keep her off the lid.
She is very obstinate, and independent and decided to let me know that she is in charge of where she chooses to sit. So, as soon as she found out I considered the piano "off limits," she immediately challenged me.
So,off to the store to get a soda can, and hopefully to establish that it is I who make the rules. Gaby tu

#285777 06/17/08 12:47 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
smile In my house the lid cover will likely be a saddle blanket or serape - a shawl just WOULDN'T go with my pueblo/southwest/rustic decor. Of course neither does a shiny, black grand piano but that's beside the point. Of course I have an actual quilted piano cover that I bought - which arrived what looks like twelve weeks ahead of the piano - but I may only need that on the days the cleaning lady comes, to convince her to leave the piano alone (por favor, no limpia aqui'!). Unfortunately serapes also have fringe - the saddle blanket has a tassel at each corner but it isn't a complete row of cat-attracting fringe.

Currawong, no doubt I will often play with the lid down, as I said in earlier posts, but on occasion will need it up. The cat that is the most obstinate (similar to the one gabytu describes) is not the one who is all over the piano when I'm playing, but the one who IS right in the thick of it is a slow learner and seems to just tune me out most of the time unless I'm ripping up raw meat for him (or trying to play the piano).

All four of mine are indoors-only, but not for lack of trying to get out. Except the fat, arthritic, toofless calico, who does get backyard priviledges because she couldn't get over the wall if she wanted to (nor onto/into the piano). As a five-year veteran of volunteering at my local animal shelter, I'm too aware of how many cats become coyote food around here and I'm not willing to take that chance....although the mountain lions and coyotes need to eat, too. They can eat someone else's cat.

SantaFe_Player
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission