2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
65 members (Boboulus, 1957, clothearednincompo, chopinetto, baudelairepianist, anotherscott, Burkey, 36251, 16 invisible), 508 guests, and 483 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Life, Loss, Piano
#2857228 06/10/19 10:44 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
I have been mostly absent from the forums this Spring. I had to drop out of MOYD for the year as well. My life has been upside down visiting and supporting my sister and Brother in law who live in Oklahoma.

I started the year out by visiting to support my sister after a minor shoulder surgery in January. But, the day before I was to return home, my sister had a heart attack. I stayed longer to help with my BIL who had a terminal cancer diagnosis.

I came home for a short break. But returned for my sisters cardiac bypass surgery. During that 7 week visit my BIL was hospitalized twice for unexpected surgeries. Looking back, this was the beginning of his decline.

I returned home again, only to return to Oklahoma to help my sister move into a new house. During this last visit, my BIL took a dramatic turn for the worst. My sister was able to bring her husband home on hospice two days after the move into the new house. It was chaos with boxes everywhere. But, it absolutely was the thing to do as my BIL died five days later.

I have come home to NH again for a week. My husband and I will return in a week for the Memorial Service.

So, this is the “life and loss”. Where is piano?? Well, there has been no piano since January. I suspended Spring lessons to the Summer session, only to suspend them again until Fall. I haven’t played but for one evening since this all started. I hope to get my piano tuned and begin to play when I finally return home after the service.

I miss playing. I need something to ground me. Whether taking lessons or not, that has always been piano. Maybe I can get more involved on the forums too. I miss that as well.

What I have learned through all this is that family is everything. So much so, that we are considering a move to Oklahoma eventually. Cherish your loved ones. Today is all we are promised.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Life, Loss, Piano
dynamobt #2857236 06/10/19 11:14 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I am sorry to hear that it is so awful.

I so understand the idea that playing helps to keep you grounded. Various personal and family life stresses were the precursor to me deciding to start playing again after a 40 year break. It has helped me. One of the last things I do before bed is play, and that playing is the least focussed of my practise sessions on actually practising, but focussed enough that helps move my mind off worrying about so much else. I still have sleep problems but the playing has helped reduce them.

When you have to be there for others and especially when that is ongoing you have to do or have something for yourself. Piano is that thing for me, but try and find something that works for you.

dynamobt #2857237 06/10/19 11:16 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
What an awful story! Too many bad things happening, too close together for any recovery. You have my sympathy.

. . . I miss playing. I need something to ground me. Whether taking lessons or not, that has always been piano. Maybe I can get more involved on the forums too. I miss that as well.

Sometimes, music is a good answer to life. Some people would say it's trivial; many of us, here, would use it as a support in bad times. And sometimes it's the only thing that brings order to the chaos of the world.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
dynamobt #2857239 06/10/19 11:23 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
What I have learned through all this is that family is everything. So much so, that we are considering a move to Oklahoma eventually. Cherish your loved ones. Today is all we are promised.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I've lost immediate family and it is hard and painful.

I'm happy to hear your sister recovered from a heart attack, very possibly she was saved by having such loved ones around to care for her.

Take care.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
dynamobt #2857258 06/10/19 12:52 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Take care dynamobt.
Sending wishes of peace and piano playing your way.

Learner
dynamobt #2857267 06/10/19 01:13 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Sorry for your loss, and speedy recovery to your sister. I totally hear you about family. This is not my thread so I wouldn’t say other than I have had so many losses in past 10 years, terminal cancer too. I started piano because of one loss: reminded that life is short and we make the best. Do take care of yourself too, as I understand that you are needed to support, but your health matters too. I learnt the hard way in not giving back to myself.
Piano is one of my joys, and however hard some days are, I remind myself that there is a place for joy. Even if you can’t take lessons, play and twiddle on the piano when you can, and fit in other joys too. 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 06/10/19 01:14 PM.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
dynamobt #2857277 06/10/19 02:04 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Even if you can’t play, take some time to listen to some wonderful music and maybe be exposed to some wonderful new music 😊. It does soothe the soul even if you don’t have the opportunity to play. Family, of course comes first, but take care of yourself, too!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dynamobt #2857293 06/10/19 02:54 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bless you and your family!

[Linked Image]
dynamobt #2857348 06/10/19 05:51 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Do something you enjoy every day, something exclusively for yourself, even if only for an hour or two.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
dynamobt #2857384 06/10/19 09:05 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'm so sorry for your loss, but I know exactly what you mean about family being important. This is a season without piano, but don't punish yourself. I used piano to help with loss and it helped tremendously through it all. As others have said, just play a little, don't "work" at it, just play things you already learned that speak to you.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dynamobt #2857421 06/11/19 03:25 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
So sorry to hear you have been having such a difficult year and condolences on your loss. I hope that slowly things will begin to pick up for you. Your piano will be waiting for you and will be ready when you are xx

[Linked Image]
dynamobt #2857427 06/11/19 05:07 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
this is so sad, and I can quite understand you not playing. But hope to hear your back on the wagon again soon.

Happy Anniversay BTW- as one of your facebook friends I see you just chalked up quite an innings there. Keep posting the pics of your dog(s).

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dynamobt #2857429 06/11/19 05:51 AM
P
P
So sorry for your loss. I agree with you about how piano grounds me also. Glad you are going to find your way back.

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
dynamobt #2857430 06/11/19 06:24 AM
Really sorry for your loss.

I had a hard time with piano after my teacher died. Eventually I decided that if she was here and knew I wasn't playing she would kick my ass, literally. The day came when it was fun again...

dynamobt #2857445 06/11/19 07:45 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
When I started piano, I had some family issues and almost had a nervous breakdown. For many years, playing music kept me from going insane.

I have ageing parents who live in another city with medical issues. At their advanced age, they still keep a lot of investments and keeping track of their finances is a time-consuming process. At some point the 2 seniors won’t be able to take care of themselves. I hate to look forward to the day I’ll be asked to be the F/T caregiver and give up piano even for a few months. Coming from a non-musical family, everybody around thinks playing music is a waste of time. Nobody seem to be supportive that I spend a lot of time playing music. Precisely the reason I find playing music comforting.

Fortunately I have a portable keyboard at home that can be relocated easily. I took a few lessons as a child but only got into serious playing many years later as an adult. For over 10 years I’ve not got an acoustic piano but an electronic keyboard instead. With a few relocations in recent years my keyboard is always around. I know a few places I can use a public piano for better recordings as a compromise.

I’ve given up owning a real piano for practical reasons. Even practicing on a keyboard once a week when I have a lot of family responsibilities is more than I can ask for.

dynamobt #2857555 06/11/19 03:01 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I’m so sorry for your loss. A little trick to keep the piano in your mind when away from home. I have some music theory workbooks. Even more portable than a keyboard and working on music theory only helps my understanding of piano.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Liszt and Chopin Etudes
by QuasarPiano - 12/03/20 06:45 PM
Learning scales question
by JohnnyIssieBangie - 12/03/20 05:20 PM
Upright Thoughts? (Kawai v Seiler v Boston)
by jmiley97302 - 12/03/20 04:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,242
Posts3,030,168
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission