2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2857117 06/09/19 09:49 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I stumbled across this article about Steinway Victory Verticals. With the remembrance of D-Day 75 years ago, I thought this would of interest.

Victory VERTICALS
During World War II, STEINWAY AND SONS produced specially-built pianos for the American troops. Called the Victory Vertical or G.I. Steinways, the pianos......

https://www.steinway.com/news/features/steinway-sons-victory-vertical.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by daniokeeper
I stumbled across this article about Steinway Victory Verticals. With the remembrance of D-Day 75 years ago, I thought this would of interest.

Victory VERTICALS
During World War II, STEINWAY AND SONS produced specially-built pianos for the American troops. Called the Victory Vertical or G.I. Steinways, the pianos......

https://www.steinway.com/news/features/steinway-sons-victory-vertical.

I have mixed feelings after reading this article. On the one hand, yes, the brand STEINWAY AND SONS rebuilt during World War 2 and did such pianos. On the other hand, I know that many millions of Soviet citizens didn’t have any extra crumbs of ordinary bread in those years and they died ...

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The Russian, (and Soviet) peoples suffered greatly in WW2.

But if you know some of the history, much of this suffering was caused by Joseph Stalin's inept and morally corrupt leadership.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
The Russian, (and Soviet) peoples suffered greatly in WW2.

But if you know some of the history, much of this suffering was caused by Joseph Stalin's inept and morally corrupt leadership.

I know our Russian history very good. Stalin even if He was tiran and creating his morally corrupt action but million people don't coming back and no lives of now

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Max,

I'm sorry if I upset you. I stumbled across this story from Steinway and thought it might be of interest to our fellow piano forum members.

The Soviet citizens suffered very greatly during WW II. So many people suffered.

Joe

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Not to worry, utopia is taking hold here. Saving up my crumbs.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
I know our Russian history very good. Stalin even if He was tiran and creating his morally corrupt action...
Are you in doubt? smile There are not enough Putin losers propagandists! The sixth year is the aggression of the Russian invaders on the territory of Ukraine. Americans are literate people, and they, like the whole world, will do without your instructions.

Last edited by Vlad Ants; 06/11/19 02:36 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Max,

I'm sorry if I upset you. I stumbled across this story from Steinway and thought it might be of interest to our fellow piano forum members.

The Soviet citizens suffered very greatly during WW II. So many people suffered.

Joe

Me was interested its information too.
Don't sorry, Jon. You did right that brought it's theme here. I have my feelings which I'd said about it's.
regards,

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
Not to worry, utopia is taking hold here. Saving up my crumbs.

why you have that ironic about million dead people? It's very bad manner to writes so things "saving up my crumbs"

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The article states that the pianos were dropped with "tuning equipment and instructions.". I would love to see the tuning instructions Steinway provided to the troops.

Edit: I wonder what materials Steinway used in their construction. What design changes, if any, were made. Were they also used in the Pacific? Were the ones used in the Pacific built differently? Do any of these pianos still exist? Maybe in a museum?

Last edited by daniokeeper; 06/11/19 03:56 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vlad Ants
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
I know our Russian history very good. Stalin even if He was tiran and creating his morally corrupt action...
Are you in doubt? smile There are not enough Putin losers propagandists! The sixth year is the aggression of the Russian invaders on the territory of Ukraine. Americans are literate people, and they, like the whole world, will do without your instructions.

and they, like the whole world, will do without your instructions.
Why Putin? I don't write about Putin here. You must have right tact talking here. It's not political club for discissia and ect, I'm think. There are correct talking tuner's zone about tuning things of piano.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Obviously, this thread has brought up some strong feelings about that war itself, but the OP wanted to start a topic about some US piano history related to the time period that very few people are aware of. So can we please keep the personal feelings about World War II out of the thread? Otherwise, I fear it will be shut down.

Back OT - Here's a November 2017 article and podcast by Michigan Radio NPR (National Public Radio - USA) done on them. This may answer some of the additional questions.

Michigan NPR Podcast on Steinway Victory Veritcals

According to this article, there was one in the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad, California at one point.
Victory Vertical @ Museum of Making Music

I also found this old PianoWorld thread about them from back in 2005.
PW thread on Victory Veriticals

And still another article...
More on Victory Verlticals

Last edited by GC13; 06/11/19 08:14 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I agree with Daniokeeper that it would be fun to see the tuning kit and instructions. Have seen pictures of the pianos before, but never one in person.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
*Deleted by moderator*

This thread is headed for closure. Please refrain from posting religious or political replies and stick to pianos.

Last edited by BB Player; 06/11/19 09:21 AM.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I warned you guys. Keep the politics and religious view out!

Originally Posted by Rick_Parks
*Deleted by moderator*

This thread is headed for closure. Please refrain from posting religious or political replies and stick to pianos.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
GC13,

Thank you so much for the additional information! smile

Only 35lbs of metal in these pianos. I wonder if they had 2 or even 1 string unisons.

They were placed inside of submarines while the submarines were still under construction.

Great info! smile

Joe

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
GC13,

Thank you so much for the additional information! smile

Only 35lbs of metal in these pianos. I wonder if they had 2 or even 1 string unisons.

They were placed inside of submarines while the submarines were still under construction.

Great info! smile

Joe

According to this article on Chupps Pianos and another I saw on Living Pianos (Robert Estrin) the Victory Verticals were based on the model 40.
Chupps on S&S Model 40

I had heard about these before, but I'm surprised that there is a lot of information on them on the internet. There are even videos of an artists who went around basing his performance program on the songs (sheet music) included with the Victory Verticals when they were delivered to the troops.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
LOL
I figured my post would touch them off...Don't dare to leave my statement up very long at all, I see. Wouldn't do to let too many people see that! Amazing that some Bible quotes are so fast to be erased, but I do still see the "righteous" political opinions are up still for all to see.
Oh well -- as usual, bring anything to do with God (in a good way) into something and you'll be sure to be the first to get censured.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Rick_Parks
LOL
I figured my post would touch them off...Don't dare to leave my statement up very long at all, I see. Wouldn't do to let too many people see that! Amazing that some Bible quotes are so fast to be erased, but I do still see the "righteous" political opinions are up still for all to see.
Oh well -- as usual, bring anything to do with God (in a good way) into something and you'll be sure to be the first to get censured.

I hear ya on that Rick_Parks! It's sad that in this day and age the idea of God and the Bible are viewed by the mass majority as offensive and antagonistic. I wish I knew what you posted, but it had been deleted by the time I got back to check PW. wink

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission