2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (cygnusdei, ChrisGoesPiano, CraiginNZ, apianostudent, danno858, beginer, David B, astrotoy, 8 invisible), 505 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi,

Does anyone know which digital piano or keyboard will let me record a melody and play that melody back using "One Key Play" (or equivalent) function? (The use of one or two keys and two fingers to tap out the correct rhythm of the melody).

The only keyboard I can find that does this is the 1980s tiny Casio PT-30.

But I need a more professional sound now and I am rubbish at playing in time, so I need to record a tune and play it back using two fingers.

I bought a Casio LK-100 (similar to the newer LK-120) after discovering it had "One Key Play", but the function was no use to me, as the keyboard does not record. The One Key Play can only be used to play back the stored songs already in the keyboard.

Does anyone know a device that has both Record and OKP?

thanks a lot

PS: Ironic that Casio calls it "One Key Play" when A) it uses TWO buttons - on the PT-30 at least.
B) it sounds a lot like "Wonky Play", which is how I already play and why I need it!

I really do play piano like Les Dawson. Sadly not on purpose.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Not what you want to hear: I'm puzzled how you are unable you to play in time normally but can keep the time with one finger. How do you keep to the tempo with one finger - using a metronome, tapping your feet, some other timing aid? Whatever it is you just need to start using that same thing with normal play. I, like many beginners, hated the metronome at first but it is now my love-hate friend when learning pieces.

P
OP Offline
P
Hi,

thanks

But I don't have a problem with the tempo.

My issue is with the rhythm of the melody.

I have ASD and am mildly dyspraxic (poor hand/brain coordination) so using all 10 fingers I make silly mistakes in the rhythm, such as some notes too soon or too late, but the overall tempo being the same.

But using just my two fore-fingers I can tap out the correct rhythm of the melody.

For this I would also use a metronome.

In another post here someone said that the drawback of notation software was that it is too perfect, and very few players will play exactly the correct rhythm - [to within a fraction of a second].

It is for notation purposes that I need both these functions. I realize lots and lots of practice could remedy the situation, but that is not an option for the foreseeable future, as I need to get the notation and audio down for 20 songs as soon as possible.

So are there any keyboards that have both these functions please?

thanks

P
OP Offline
P
OK I might have found one, but I will need to contact them to make sure.

It's a Korg M50 and under the "Sequencing powerhouse" section of this page:
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/m50/ws_m50.asp

it says:

"Record in realtime or enter notes in step time..."

So that sounds like what I want. But it doesn't say you can tap out the rhythm using one or two keys, so I need to check.

I had my suspicions that the term "One Key Play" was just used/invented by Casio, as I've not heard any other keyboard use the term.

But I suspect that the function together with the Record function is probably available on lots of keyboards/pianos. It's just not advertised as a main feature.

The Korg M50 is a grand. And by that I mean £1k GBP.

As I won't need a lot of the advanced features, does anyone know of any other ones?

thanks

P
OP Offline
P
OK I got an email from Yamaha (I asked keyboard manufacturers too, as I'm desperate!) saying they want me to call them. I guess I have not explained it very well.

So I have made a quick video of what I mean.

The humble Casio PT-30 has two little buttons that lets you play back a melody one note at a time. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09uY5oQ8ud0

Other Casio keyboards have One Key Play function that let you use any key to play back a tune, but I have only found keyboards that let you play back pre-programed songs, not ones that let you record your own melodies.

I find it hard to believe there aren't other models that have this function.

Anyone know of any please?

frown

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Like other people here, I would help if I could but the function you are asking for is none-standard, to say the least, and it isn't the sort of thing you'd get on a digital piano, so most people here just wouldn't know.

But it is the sort of function that might be implemented on a 'home keyboard' type instrument. The biggest and best makers of those are Casio and Yamaha - they have huge ranges. So if anyone can help, I think it would be a knowledgeable rep from those companies.

But what I don't understand is why you don't just put the song into the keyboard/ computer in step time mode - that way, your technique and time keeping won't be an issue anyway.

I hope you get a solution quickly, anyway.

Last edited by toddy; 03/13/12 07:08 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Toddy,

Thanks for your help.

I can't find an explanation of "Step time mode" that I understand.

I found this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKEaGNR3Lp0

...on Sibelius "Step Time Entry" but it seemed to indicate that you need to know how long each note lasts and what type of notes to use (crotchets and quavers etc) - which I don't.

I can't read music at all. I'm still at FACE and AGBDF!

I just know what my songs are supposed to sound like as melodies.

I didn't really get what this guy was trying to do. He didn't explain at the beginning of the video what the goal of the video was; only to say how "Step Time Entry" works.

It's either the notation or a different X factor that I'm missing.

thanks

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, the two traditional (or distinct) ways of getting a song, or melody or sequence of notes into a machine (keyboard with recorder, computer, etc) is by playing the music on the keyboard with a metronome to keep time (which you must do fairly strictly).

Or you can put in one note at a time (Step Time mode), without needing to 'play' as such. The problem with this is, you need to have some idea about the length of each note. But you can do it without being able to read music, or knowing much about quavers and semiquavers. You build it up slowly by trial and error if necessary.

That's how it was years ago when 'digital sequencers' (which is what these kinds of recorders are) first came out.

Really, you can get that sort of recorder on many keyboards now, which do not need to be very costly or complicated. But they would sound vastly superior to the old mini Casio you showed on YouTube.

Again, I'd try to get advice direct from Casio or Yamaha. And, yes, notation programs like Sibelius are probably way more complicated than you need for the job you described.

Last edited by toddy; 03/13/12 08:36 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
P
OP Offline
P

Thanks a lot Toddy

thumb

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is this topic here about a keyboard with auto accompaniment?

You play one note in your left hand and the built in software fills in the drums, bass, and whatever?

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Dave,

No it's simpler than that. The playback (of a recorded melody) is demonstrated in this quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09uY5oQ8ud0

(Sorry about the video quality. The mts file is sharp HD, but when I uploaded it to YouTube it reduced the quality. I should have put it through Windows Live Media Maker first then saved as a WMV).

thanks

PS Anyone know how to subscribe to threads, so I get an email when people respond? thanks

R
R
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I know exactly what the OP is talking about!

I like to key in choral music to create practice tapes for myself. What is not available online I have to create for myself.

I have an old Casio keyboard and a Fisher keyboard which both have the one-key play function:

1) go through the tune step-wise just entering the correct note.
2) then re-record the notes, pressing one-key play which re-times each the notes in the recording.

This quickly give even the non-keyboardist an accurate, error-free version of the music, without having to create sheet music or work with a midi-event editor.

My Casio keyboard holds 100 notes, but can't save in any format, just playback (and no analog jack to record to pc). My Fisher has an analog output, but can only save analog, not midi. So my current solution is to use the Fisher, load into Audacity, the save the mp3 for my iPhone. I can't really do anything with the mp3 file. With midi I could re-time, transpose, re-voice, etc.

Once you've seen this one-key-play in action, you'll know how mind-bogglingly useful it is. I'm amazed I haven't seen it in all the software I've tried (and I don't want to shell out big $$$ for a package with all the bells and whistles just for this simple functionality)

B
B
Greetings from the future!!! I just wanted to say YES, I totally get where you were coming from. Back in the late 1980's I had a Casio PT1 with one key play. I was in a lot of choruses singing very difficult music, and although I can read music, I can't play piano. So I would plug in the notes, then read the music and play it back tapping it out in rhythm with the misnamed "one" key play! It was great to learn music because the act of tapping it out help get the muscle memory of the rhythm.

Years later I stumbed across a Casio PT-30 with one key play at a garage sale for $2. I use that too but it's beat up. I notice the PT80 also has it. But now these dirt cheap low level keyboards are going for huge money online because they are like antiques.

I would love if someone could design a very simple computer program that uses one key play...hey...that's a great idea.

M
M
My Kawai CA97 has a 'Concert Magic' feature that sounds like what you're after. I would guess some of the lower end Kawais will also have it.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission