2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Dear all,

I am new to the forum. I would like to ask for your expert opinion about my dilemma in choosing C Belchstein Concert 8(upright) vs Belchstein Academy A175? The choice between the two is mainly because of their comparable price. Thank you very much for all your kind advise.

Last edited by ppsam; 06/08/19 07:02 PM. Reason: grammar
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Assume you're talking about Bechsteins (not Belchsteins). This recent thread includes a note from OE1FEU saying "Academy models are built to meet every conceivable standard of being pounded on all day in an academy, whereas the concert series is what you are looking for in an instrument that fills a hall and can be recorded for posterity." This was news to me. I found it interesting. Hope it might help.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Here’s the Piano Buyer brand profile:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/bechstein-c/

How are you intending to use it? Is space a major consideration? The Concert 8 is one of the best sounding verticals I’ve ever played, however the action isn’t going to be as responsive as a high quality grand in proper regulation.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I think you have to decide whether you would a top level
upright or an excellent grand piano.I have played the C Bechstein
Concert 8 upright and yes it is an amazing upright.
In Europe I played a new C Bechstein grand about the size you
mentioned.I am not sure what model it was but as a grand
it was incredible.
I also played the Elegance 124 which was wonderful.
Looking at piano buyer I see the 49 "Academy uprights are a
great deal cheaper than the Concert series .

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Belchstein eructs fine pianos. smile

Semipro Tech
P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for pointing that to me. Yes, I am talking about Bechstein. Thx for sharing this interesting information.

P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for your attached link which is very important. Indeed my story here I have already bought the Concert 8 which was sent to my home. However, there’re some issues which I am allowed to choose another Concert 8 or a grand but from Academy line A175(a bit more expensive only). That’s why I am headache about it. If you were me, what would you choose? Thanks again!

P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for your opinion. Indeed my story here is I have already bought the Concert 8 which was sent to my home. However, there’re some issues which I am allowed to choose another Concert 8 or a grand but from Academy line A175(a bit more expensive only). That’s why I am headache about it. If you were me, what would you choose? Thanks again!

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
The Concert 8 is supposed to be one best of the
upright pianos.Were you experiencing problems with the
instrument ?

S
S
I have tried 2 C Bechstein Concert 8 pianos. Both were almost new, and one of them was in the ownership of a cousin of mine. The C8 has an excellent sound, touch and repetition, not to mention pianissimo playing. For anyone considering an upright one of the top choices. The final choice depends much on more subjective evaluation.

Before the C8, my cousin had a small Steinway grand, if it was an S or M I do not remember, so in some ways he was doing a similar evaluation. After all, the top uprights come at a price. The reason he departed with his Steinway was due to a water damage. He too, obviously, then had a choice between a grand and a piano, and ended with the latter. I remember asking him why he preferred the one over the other. He said he preferred the sound, and the fact that it took less floor space, and that it did not prevent him in any repertoire he played. I would guess that the flat he lives in is approximately 120m2.

Last edited by Skjalg; 06/09/19 03:58 AM.

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Yes, I did some research before getting my concert 8 which I still love it. But somehow there’s an accident during transfer to my home which the dealer agreed either changing to a new Concert 8 to me or I paid a bit more for a Bechstein grand A175. That’s why I am thinking if I should get A174 instead? What is your expert opinion? Thank you.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ppsam
Yes, I did some research before getting my concert 8 which I still love it. But somehow there’s an accident during transfer to my home which the dealer agreed either changing to a new Concert 8 to me or I paid a bit more for a Bechstein grand A175. That’s why I am thinking if I should get A174 instead? What is your expert opinion? Thank you.

Did you play that Bechstein A175 ? Do you have a space for it ? Grand piano has more advantages but upright is good for less space. Personally, as a general rule I would choose grand piano but not before I try both.

P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Yes, I did. I like it too though the sound produced is so different. But i’m not sure if I like it more if we are talking about the quality of sound produced alone.
Space-wise, yes, I can still put a baby grand at home if it’s A175, but nothing bigger.
Everyone said a grand is usually better than an upright in many ways. That’s why I am thinking if I should give it a change since I am being given a chance now.

P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
My dilemma is not only a comparison of an upright vs a baby grand but also a comparison of a concert line of the former vs an academy line of the latter. That’s why I need all your expert opinions in giving me a more thorough analysis in order for me to make my final decision.....

Last edited by ppsam; 06/09/19 07:45 AM. Reason: Grammar
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
If you like both, then what is your background, are you a beginner or advanced classical pianist, or overall just home player who wants to enjoy in music ? How grand piano will incorporate in your style of life and what about upright ? This questions you need to answer before you make decision.

Online Content
Make a list of the pluses and minuses of each. You probably already know what they are and only you can decide. There is no "right" answer.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/09/19 08:52 AM.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Which piano do you enjoy more? Usually a grand is better than an upright, but when you're talking about uprights at the very top level, the upright can out-perform the grand. There will be some differences, but not necessarily limitations.

Once when I was in Steinways I had a conversation about the Model K vs the Boston 193, which were the same price roughly at that time. The salesperson was very frank and said "for you as a professional pianist and teacher, I'd recommend having a grand piano because the action will always be closer to what you play on in concert, and due to the very nature of it being a grand action it will be slightly more reliable than the Model K. That said, the sound quality of any new Steinway is better than that of any new Boston, and so if you want the very best sound for your budget and space, then the Model K is a good choice. To be honest, I'm not sure that you'd feel you were losing out by choosing either of these pianos".

Keep in mind that although the salesperson said that, it's also extremely subjective. Both pianos are excellent in their own way, and both are capable of beautiful sound and touch.

YAMAHA Artist
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
The Concert 8 is no doubt an amazing piano, but it isn't a grand. I tried alongside Bechstein grands, some C Bechstein and some Bechstein Academy. For me, it wasn't close. Did you try grand pianos along with the upright? Buying either one is wonderful. (I am not an expert, just sharing my experience of trying them in Manhattan on a single afternoon. I think you will have to decide.)

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dhull100
The Concert 8 is no doubt an amazing piano, but it isn't a grand. I tried alongside Bechstein grands, some C Bechstein and some Bechstein Academy. For me, it wasn't close. Did you try grand pianos along with the upright? Buying either one is wonderful. (I am not an expert, just sharing my experience of trying them in Manhattan on a single afternoon. I think you will have to decide.)

Which dealers did you visit in Manhattan? What was your experience?

P
ppsam Offline OP
OP Offline
P
This is exactly what I feel about losing out in choosing either one and I was told by the salesperson exactly the same about A175 grand in my scenario. Well, to be honest, I am not a professional player, nor any academic in music. I am just a mature student who is working hard towards my diploma piano examination. (I have attained my grade 8 30 years ago which I have just my interest in piano reignited and resumed my piano lessons few months ago...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission