2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (anotherscott, Carey, c++, beeboss, 1957, Bellicapelli, 19 invisible), 478 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2856493 06/07/19 06:51 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Two small dogs this year bit me on my leg while coming into people’s homes. One broke through my skin today a little bit. I asked the owner if the dog had his rabies vaccine and he said it did. I’m taking him by his word. There is some chance of bacterial infection, but it seems pretty low risk. It stings a little, but not that bad. Doesn’t seem worth the effort of getting checked out right now.

I always ask owners if their dogs bite. Three were honest and said they did. They kept the dogs away in other rooms. Now I’m getting concerned since I have two bites already and only just started this line of work. I’m thinking of asking owners to put their dogs away since I have been bitten a couple times. It’s unfortunate because I like dogs.

The one that bit me today was barking and going nuts when I walked in the door.

The other one that bit me a couple months ago snuck up quietly behind me and got me on the back of my leg.

Last edited by TimM_980; 06/07/19 06:53 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
TimM_980 #2856504 06/07/19 07:33 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Tim
I am a dog lover, as you can tell by my forum name, but I would have no problem with my technician asking me to put my dog in another room when he is here; you could just explain that you are now a little uncomfortable around other people’s Pets. .

I agree with the assumption that a dog has had vaccinations. Really, even without the vaccine, the dog would have had to be in contact with a rabid animal for there to be an issue. Please clean the wound thoroughly, apply antibiotic ointment and Watch for signs of infection: i.e. red streaks from the wound, drainage that looks like pus or fever. Do not dismiss the risk, even though it is low. Just watch and you should be fine 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
TimM_980 #2856512 06/07/19 08:16 PM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I like dogs, but I am sorry, I think it is outrageous for an owner to have a dog that bites, and yet not to keep it away when someone comes into the home.

David Boyce #2856570 06/08/19 03:50 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by David Boyce
I like dogs, but I am sorry, I think it is outrageous for an owner to have a dog that bites, and yet not to keep it away when someone comes into the home.

I agree.

TimM_980 #2856583 06/08/19 05:47 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have a dog and I think the smell of him on me helps assure my client's dogs that I am OK. I have gotten nipped once or twice and the owners were VERY apologetic and put the dog in another room, but I looked at it as the dogs doing what dogs do: being protective or playful. Many times the owner keeps the dog locked up. I kinda like the ones that howl when I tune. They have a good sense of pitch! smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
TimM_980 #2856594 06/08/19 06:59 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Dealing with children and pets is one of the constants in our profession. You have to figure out individual strategies to deal with both. When I was in the Guild, I was always surprised that there were no instruction, or preparation, classes on the subject.

A request that pets be isolated, and children be sold into slavery in a far country might work, although, the last request might need some nuancing. I usually suggest that owners let isolated dogs out to see me. The mystery is dispelled. The tuner turns out to be boring, and the dogs either go to sleep, or wander off into the nether-recesses of the home.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
TimM_980 #2856595 06/08/19 07:21 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've also been bitten by dogs.

Because of the lethality of rabies, I politely insisted on the identity of the vet so I could verify the vaccination myself. If the owners had refused the information, I absolutely would have contacted the police, who probably would not have been amused at the owners refusal.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
TimM_980 #2856606 06/08/19 08:54 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
We are fortunate in not having rabies in the UK. But on principle I feel that an owner who allows an animal to harm a human is irresponsible and ought not to have the animal. They would be quick enough to sue if the human bit the dog.....

TimM_980 #2856765 06/08/19 08:16 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I do not wish to worry you, but you should perhaps read * this story * which is currently in the news in the UK.

TimM_980 #2856775 06/08/19 09:25 PM
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I love dogs, and they can sense it. I greet the dogs and make them feel at ease. I'd rather have a dog underfoot, than listen to one locked up who just wants to see who is here. A cat bit me once, but cats will bite to communicate as a last resort when other attempts at communication fails.

My daughter, who is a vet technician, has taken preventative rabies shots, but she rarely has problems either. Animals trust her.

I have rabies tags for each of my three cats, if there was ever a need to prove a vaccination - so should any dog or cat owner.

David-G #2856830 06/09/19 03:32 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by David-G
I do not wish to worry you, but you should perhaps read * this story * which is currently in the news in the UK.

The women died some time after being bitten on the hand and neck as she intervened in a fight where a dog attacked her own dog. It seems that she probably died from sepsis.

The story shows that while we are fortunate in not having rabies in the UK, dog bites are still dangerous - all sorts of bacteria could enter the wound. The women consulted a vet about the bites to her dog, but did not get medical help for her own wounds.

David Boyce #2856836 06/09/19 03:55 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Originally Posted by David-G

The women died some time after being bitten on the hand and neck as she intervened in a fight where a dog attacked her own dog. It seems that she probably died from sepsis.

The story shows that while we are fortunate in not having rabies in the UK, dog bites are still dangerous - all sorts of bacteria could enter the wound. The women consulted a vet about the bites to her dog, but did not get medical help for her own wounds.

While the USA does have reported human rabies, the incidence level is quite low: 1-3 cases per year. The source of rabies exposure is not from domesticated pets but from wild animal exposure.

Sepsis can occur from any wound and bacterial infection, but there is no need to be alarmist. As per my initial post, watch for and treat any sign of infection just like you should with any wound. Really just normal care and caution are warranted.. not alarm.

TimM_980 #2856838 06/09/19 04:19 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Different areas have different exposure levels. Here in Allegheny County, we've had 12 known rabid animals so far this year. It seems it's mostly racoons. I live in a small town, and I often see racoons at night.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/05/23/rabid-animals-allegheny-county-2019/amp/

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180819/rabies-remains-health-issue-in-pennsylvania-karen-tobin

Last edited by daniokeeper; 06/09/19 04:23 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
daniokeeper #2856839 06/09/19 04:37 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by daniokeeper
Different areas have different exposure levels. Here in Allegheny County, we've had 12 known rabid animals so far this year. It seems it's mostly racoons. I live in a small town, and I often see racoons at night.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/05/23/rabid-animals-allegheny-county-2019/amp/

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180819/rabies-remains-health-issue-in-pennsylvania-karen-tobin

Of course there are regional differences in rabies. But the focus for a piano technician ( or any of us) should be not on wild animals. but exposure risk from a domesticated animal’s bite, yes, raccoons and bats are carriers. What is important is the number of human cases per year and the number that come from domesticated animals, not wildlife. That is, of course, assuming that no one will attempt to pet a wild raccoon or rescue a bat.

HUMAN incidence is almost non-existent

Last edited by dogperson; 06/09/19 04:40 AM.
TimM_980 #2856857 06/09/19 06:29 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What was interesting is that they found zero dogs with rabies. But here in PA, they found 63 cats with rabies. Only racoons had a higher incidence of rabies.

Presumably, these are either feral cats, or abandoned cats. Cats require a booster rabies vaccine every year. If abandoned, they will be tame, but not necessarily safe.

So, you could get out of your car, a cat comes to you that you think is the customer's......

Last edited by daniokeeper; 06/09/19 06:37 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

TimM_980 #2856860 06/09/19 06:41 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Correction:. Cats should be vaccinated every 3 years.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

TimM_980 #2856962 06/09/19 12:34 PM
L
L
I was not going to enter this conversation, but feel I should. In one of my other lives I was a court accredited expert witness in the subject of dog behaviour and assessing dangerous dogs.
Further, I am not a medical expert, but am well acquainted with the vaccinating of dogs, and the reasons for the protocols.

1. Why does a tuner need to meet the animals and children in the household? Forget bites - they can accidentally damage the tuner, the equipment for tuning, and the innards of the piano. Put them away. A dog should be trained to be quiet when shut away elsewhere in a home. As for children ??? I have no answer.

2. Anyone bitten should follow dogperson's advice: clean a minor wound with soap and water (or I preferchlorhexidine 4% if on hand) and keep it protected, watching that it does not infect.

If the wound is more than slight, or a puncture, see a doctor. It is possible that a tetanus booster may be required, as for any "dirty" puncture wound in the garden or workshop. A strong bite can be very crushing and painful on the hands.

All dogs should be vaccinated for rabies. While state requirements may vary wildly according to politicians' ideas, it is generally accepted that one vaccination protects a dog against rabies infection for life. (Apparently because rabies is slow to develop, an exposure to infection boosts and reinforces the original immunity.)

Do not fool with tetanus or rabies. We are fortunate in North America that rabies is not a huge problem in domestic animals, as it can be elsewhere in the world, especially in stray dogs.
Rabies does not even require an actual bite for transmission. The virus can be present in the saliva of an infected animal for several days before it shows symptoms. Worse, it can be transmitted through saliva contact with any slight abrasion or scratch, or mucous membranes. I personally know of a 4 month old puppy, unvaccinated, that contracted rabies merely by an infected fox sniffing noses with it through a chain link fence. The adult dog, vaccinated, did not.

In my experience, the biggest risk of a bite occurs when one first meets a dog. And a few of the worst real attacks occur when someone is leaving the house.

Do consider training your own dogs to meet at least the standards of the American Kennel Club Canine Good Neighbour Test, or equivalent Canadian Kennel Club Canine Good Neighbour Test.

TimM_980 #2856976 06/09/19 01:10 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Tim,

Dogs have a huge odor detection capability. It is is possible that you just happen to be one of those who unconsciously gives off the fear scent and the dogs are reacting as dogs do. Bummer but...

I suggest that on your website (if you have one) you include prominently that you require any pets to be completely restrained and preferably in another area of the property. No harm in explaining why.

Additionally, remind the client on the phone or email or text about the matter prior to your arrival. A simple sentence such as: "I have an unusual phobia about dogs and they can sense it, therefore I ask that..." Most pet owners can/will understand this and comply.

I have met a few people that unfortunately don't "get" how rude it is to let their dog just jump all over you and bark incessantly. Fortunately I know how to deal with it, but not everyone does. You'll need to be proactive on this.

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 06/09/19 01:11 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
TimM_980 #2857139 06/10/19 01:37 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The anti-vaccine movement is affecting some pet owners' decisions on whether to vaccinate :

https://time.com/5538926/dogs-vaccines-antivaxxers/?amp=true

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

TimM_980 #2857199 06/10/19 10:10 AM
J
J
I usually have no problem with dogs. They all bark at you at first, that's their job. After letting them smell my hand most are very friendly. I find the only problem dogs are when the owner dose'nt allow them to meet me and they bark throughout the tuning. Very annoying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Classical Style Lead Sheets
by Qazsedcft - 04/23/21 10:42 AM
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,487
Posts3,085,721
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission