2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Pripyat - Pianos from the Chernobyl radioactive exclusion zone.

"For seven years our team has made more than 25 trips to the city of Pripyat for detailed collection of audio materials. We’ve found and recorded 20 instruments in various parts of Pripyat that are of different levels of preservation and functionality. This amount of instruments was necessary to create a tool suitable not only for sound design, but also for writing compositions. Our goal was to create a virtual instrument which will show the nature of the degradation of instruments under the effects of harsh weather conditions and radiation, yet which also would have the most pure sound. All the pianos we could find participated in the creation of the final sound."

This is now available at an introductory price of $149 ($199 list).

Developers' rationale for delay is the most reasonable we have seen here in some time:

Sorry for braking the promise frown The main problem is we have to take a brake after each visit because of radiation. Area is contaminated and we have to do it reasonably safe for our lives. But from the other side now have a solid release window - April 2019. We really close to the finish smile

https://strixinstruments.com/pripyat-pianos/

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Wow. What a conversation piece this would be! Uhhh.... I'm tempted!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Agreed TS.

I nearly feel off my chair when I bumped into this VI. This is a great conversation piece and a project well worth supporting.

The webpage is being populated with demos and the current ones sound great (despite the pianos suffering decades of harsh radiation and weather).

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I just saw the HBO series.
The product doesn't attract me, but it's a cool idea.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't see what would attract someone to visit the world's worst radiation zone for **any** reason.
But just to record a decades-old beater piano? That's madness.

I assume this is a VST product, right?
Well, I'm known here for spending far too much money on VST virtual instruments.
But would I spend a note and a half on a VI that sounds like an out-of-tune saloon piano?
Nope. Would you?

Side note: If this were presented on You Tube, how many people would comment that this product might be radioactive? smile frown

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Is it radioactive when you play it through speakers? Do you have to use a lead PC case? Or a graphite one? Or a boron one with graphite tips? Has somebody measured the latency? I guess 3.6 Röntgen/h would be enough, taking in mind the dosimeter can’t measure outside that.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I guess 3.6 Röntgen/h would be enough, taking in mind the dosimeter can’t measure outside that.

It seems you watched the show too! I asked my wife and she said this is exactly how it would happen too. laugh She said the show felt pretty authentic, aside from the British accents everyone was sporting. shocked laugh

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
But would I spend a note and a half on a VI that sounds like an out-of-tune saloon piano?

"Out-of-tune" and "saloon piano" - that's almost a pleonasm! smile

Nope. Would you?

On a day when I will be spending a pretty penny on an professional audio engineer to come over and undo the mess that I did, I should just stop looking at this thread because each time I look, I feel an urge to get my card out.

It's not that it's a honky tonk piano. It's that it's the sound of a honky tonk piano that has suffered hard radiation for 33 years! That makes it a unique honky tonk piano!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Frankly, I’m pi**ed off with that sudden Chernobyl mania. The show was great but people are unnecessarily hyping it to a degree I was already nitpicking it even before I started watching it laugh As a result I’m rather disappointed. And there are some pretty rubbish moments too. It’s total BS that bunch of miners would ruin the minister’s suit, etc, etc. There’s too much Hollywood nonsense but other than that it was a great show that made me read thoroughly about that disaster, how and why it happened, etc.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/08/19 09:58 AM.

It's media mania. Chernobyl was long forgotten until it was resurrected by the media.
The fix? Turn off the media and you'll be free from the mania.
Simple. Did that nearly a quarter century ago.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Frankly, I’m pi**ed off with that sudden Chernobyl mania. The show was great but people are unnecessarily hyping it to a degree I was already nitpicking it even before I started watching it laugh

Haha. I guess you'd be annoyed to find this isn't the first discussion of this show on PW!

And there are some pretty rubbish moments too. It’s total BS that bunch of miners would ruin the minister’s suit, etc, etc.

Ага.

There’s too much Hollywood nonsense but other than that it was a great show that made me read thoroughly about that disaster, how and why it happened, etc.

Yeah, at the time of the accident, my father was a nuclear reactor engineer and a regulator with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. He would tell us kids about the accident as it was happening. So it is probably not a surprise that the things I thought I knew about the accident are not at all like the things that actually happened! (at least according to the mini-series) Those Soviets! crazy

After watching the miniseries, my wife is researching the Russian Internet on Chernobyl and has learned a lot about it. I also have a brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) who has a brother-in-law who was a soldier sent to Chernobyl as liquidator. He's still alive because he wasn't a very obedient soldier! laugh

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
BTW, I have a master degree in engineering physics and took the nuclear physics exam with the top score but since I switched to software engineering I have virtually forgotten everything! I struggled understanding the Wikipedia explanation about what exactly happened at Chernobyl and I couldn’t find any other cleaner explanation. It’s to my great surprise that the explanation given by Legasov in the final episode, the one with the red and blue blocks was shockingly clear and understandable! shocked Kudos to the show consultants for coming up with that “explanation for dummies”. I am yet to see a better explanation on the Internet.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/08/19 10:55 AM.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
BTW, I have a master degree in engineering physics and took the nuclear physics exam with the top score but since I switched to software engineering I have virtually forgotten everything! I struggled understanding the Wikipedia explanation about what exactly happened at Chernobyl and I couldn’t find any other cleaner explanation. It’s to my great surprise that the explanation given by Legasov in the final episode, the one with the red and blue blocks was shockingly clear and understandable! shocked Kudos to the show consultants for coming up with that “explanation for dummies”. I am yet to see a better explanation on the Internet.

Yeah, my father, who now is retired, now knows (or think he knows) everything there is to know about Chernobyl. I told him he might still have a thing or two to learn about it and told him to watch the miniseries! LOL.

Yes, the red and blue block thing is almost as good as this "proof" of the Pythagorean theorem I found for my daughter.

[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Chernobyl was probably the biggest single event in my lifetime. I remember being out in the Chernobyl rain when it made its way over to my half of the continent. I haven't started to glow yet...

It's a fantastic idea.

Tyrone, I'd love to meet your father. I've always been fascinated by all matters nuclear.

M
M
I don't see what would attract someone to visit the world's worst radiation zone for **any** reason.
But just to record a decades-old beater piano? That's madness.

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 06/08/19 05:28 PM. Reason: Removed personal insult and attack. Calling someone "ignorant".
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Why do virtual piano makers have to add in extra instruments in their demos? Makes me think they don't believe their products are good enough to stand (sound) on their own.

Besides, it makes it harder for the potential buyer to figure out how they sound, on their own, again, which is how piano VSTs must be judged.

Last edited by TheodorN; 06/08/19 04:46 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Why do virtual piano makers have to add in extra instruments in their demos? Makes me think they don't believe their products are good enough to stand (sound) on their own.

Besides, it makes it harder for the potential buyer to figure out how they sound, on their own, again, which is how piano VSTs must be judged.

I can imagine that professional pianists (or arrangers) might want to hear how that particular piano sound fits in with an ensemble. I can imagine some pianos fit in better than others due to tone, etc.

[Linked Image]

R
R
I am a downwinder from the Nevada nuclear test site. 66 years old.
I was Exposed to radiation and bio chemical weapons my first 5 years of my life.
You do not want to see.the list of my auto immune diseases.
ALL governments take zero responsibility for what they have done to their citizens.
We really know nothing of what radiation and exposure to toxic chemicals will do to us both short and long term.
Lesson learned make ALL governments accountable to their citizens.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rogerc
I am a downwinder from the Nevada nuclear test site. 66 years old.
I was Exposed to radiation and bio chemical weapons my first 5 years of my life.
You do not want to see.the list of my auto immune diseases.
ALL governments take zero responsibility for what they have done to their citizens.
We really know nothing of what radiation and exposure to toxic chemicals will do to us both short and long term.
Lesson learned make ALL governments accountable to their citizens.

That’s too bad frown I never knew there was a nuclear test site in Nevada. I need to read about that. Is it still a functioning facility or it was a Cold War thing? We’re dreaming about a road trip to the US with my wife (and I’ve actually never been to the US), so I know what to avoid already smile

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I never knew there was a nuclear test site in Nevada. I need to read about that.

Here you go! Also this could be a useful reference.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission