Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
117 registered members (Alex Hutor, AWilley, anotherscott, Avalanch, Animisha, augustm, 32 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2855458
06/04/19 12:48 PM
06/04/19 12:48 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
My life including my musical journey has a lot of unexpected twists & turns.

At a young age (5) my mother took me to a few piano lessons with my sister (no more than 5). We had an acoustic upright at home. After finding that we don't have the talent for music, the upright was gone in a month and we would not see an acoustic piano at home again.

In my high school years I got into playing violin with my sister. Around 1985 I got a recording of Bach French Suite #3 for our music class presentation. The harpsichord playing sounded wonderful but I couldn't imagine myself playing any movement of the Fr. Suite because it was too hard to coordinate both hands. The violin you have 1 hand pressing the notes and the other hand with the bow which is supposedly easier except the tuning is not easy to perfect.

During my school years, the focus was on building my computer skills for career advancement. I got into programming and then web design. I continued to play violin regularly but piano was not on the list.

A few people in the family had piano lessons at a young age and stopped playing ages ago. Only 2 people in the family circle who continue to play were in the Suzuki Music program and got used to performing in front of an audience. Coming from a non-musical family everybody assumed that if you don't show any talent for music at a young age, it's next to impossible to start as an adult. For many years I held on to that belief and didn't get near a piano / keyboard. Fast forward 2 decades I watched a man doing demo of a few easy songs on piano. There was a bit of hesitation but I decided to get my own keyboard and give it a try. Because I live in a building, it would be hard to keep a piano in my living space. If I need a better sound of a piano, there are places in the city I can access a public piano. Circumstances in life almost caused a nervous breakdown. There are days I'd be on the keyboard for hours to take my mind off my problems.

Yesterday I was playing a few Handel keyboard pieces on a public piano at a YMCA. A man nearby complimented on my playing. Throughout the years, I listened to music on radio but playing is another matter. In my school years I would never imagine myself sitting in front of a piano and play a few movements of a keyboard suite. Definitely not in public with people watching. Once I came across a public piano inside the airport terminal when I was leaving for a vacation. A young lady was playing a simple arrangement of the Mozart Symphony #40 in Gm, mvt. 1 with confidence. Knowing how to play a few pieces is different from doing it in public. I couldn't tell people in the family I was aiming to play at that level because they'd say I started too late and wouldn't get anywhere. At my age I'm very conscious where my level of playing needs to be. I would only play beginner pieces for warm-ups. When I'm playing in front of other people, I tend to play pieces that are at least at an intermediate level.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2855554
06/04/19 07:38 PM
06/04/19 07:38 PM
G
Gotta Play Offline
Gotta Play  Offline
G

I just joined Piano World after several months of “lurking.” I’m happy to be here! My main instrument is actually organ; my masters degree is in church music/organ, and I am employed full time as organist and music director in a church with an amazing pipe organ. The church also has a couple wonderful pianos, including a Steinway grand in the sanctuary, and I have frequent opportunities to play piano solos and accompaniments for my work there.

I’ve loved piano since I was a very young child; took lessons for about ten years as a child/teenager, and have given myself several opportunities to study piano privately even after getting my masters, because I love it so much. According to the RCM syllabus, much of my current piano repertoire in progress is around a level 9 or 10. I have an ever-growing bucket list of piano pieces to learn (and another one for organ pieces).

I’ve recently discovered Schubert’s Impromptus and Klavierstucke and am smitten! It was hard to commit to just one, but I finally chose Opus 90 #3 in G flat Major for my first Impromptu, with the hope of learning several more in the future. The other piano solos I’m currently learning are Debussy’s “Claire de lune” and Beethoven’s “Tempest Sonata.” I expect to feel comfortable performing the Debussy at my church sometime this summer; I may be ready to perform at least part of the Beethoven in a year...or perhaps not; it’s a joy to work on the piece, aside from performing it.

I also play with a two-piano/eight-hands piano ensemble. We’ve been in existence only one year and are looking forward to playing our second full concert this fall.

(I just re-read this and realized that’s a lot of piano time for an organist!) I don’t want to give the idea that I’m lukewarm about organ; I could write several more paragraphs about that part of my life and work. I just really love both organ and piano and, as I chose for my Forum name, I Gotta Play.

One thing that greatly impresses me about the people here on PW is the shared passion for the instrument and the repertoire. It’s really great to come here at the end of the day and read the discussions.

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: Gotta Play] #2855561
06/04/19 08:08 PM
06/04/19 08:08 PM
Ann Arbor, MI
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jazzyprof  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted by Gotta Play

I’ve recently discovered Schubert’s Impromptus and Klavierstucke and am smitten! It was hard to commit to just one, but I finally chose Opus 90 #3 in G flat Major for my first Impromptu,

Welcome, Gotta Play! That Op. 90 no. 3 is on my bucket list too!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2855562
06/04/19 08:20 PM
06/04/19 08:20 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Welcome I Gotta Play to the forums! We are a widely divergent group but with a common passion for music. Two pianos, 8 hands, sounds like wonderful fun, and a full concert . Wow 😮

Bucket list? Mine is over 200– more than enough for several lifetimes including some I may never have the chops to play well. But it’s all good 😊 it’s all a love of music.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2856499
06/07/19 07:15 PM
06/07/19 07:15 PM
Long Island, NY
A
AssociateX Offline
AssociateX  Offline
A

Long Island, NY
I am 43 years old and a practicing attorney in NYC. I come to this forum a few times a week just to stay abreast of current piano topics and insight on particular pieces I may be working on or want to learn, also practice tips, etc. I lurk more often than I post because I rarely have time to write, 90% of my time is spent reading this site on my iPad before bedtime. I work full time 9-6 pm and try to practice 1-2 hrs a day, either in the morning or after work. On weekends, I can do 3-4 hours a day straight but depends on social commitments. I work from home 1 day a week so I can spend more sporadic ‘bursts’ of practice on that day.

I took lessons for years as a child but stopped once I got to college. Career and life, and all that. Got married, bought a house and a piano placed in my living room so I decided to take up lessons again. I started group lessons at Juilliard Evening division last year and plan to keep lessons going as long as its financially feasible. Right now I am working with 2 different teachers on technique and public performance skills. I attend various piano meet up groups in NYC which keeps me motivated to keep practicing and improving my skills, plus I like to meet other pianists who are on the same journey. I have a lot of “dream/stretch” pieces I want to learn now while my fingers have flexibility and my energy level is good. For me it is a fun hobby and I have noticed my mind has gotten a bit sharper at work when dealing with thorny legal issues so its a win win!

I think there was another thread like this on ABF but cant remember if I posted on it...i jump a lot between this forum, piano street and a lot of other music and law related web sites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Completed:
1. Schubert -MM 3 and Impromptu 90/1
2. Bach- Prelude & Fugue (F min - WTC 2)
Working on:
1. Brahms Intermezzo Op 118 #2
2. Beethoven Sonata Op 2 # 1
My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2856521
06/07/19 09:25 PM
06/07/19 09:25 PM
Colorado
O
One Ohm Offline
One Ohm  Offline
O

Colorado
Thanks for sharing your story AssociateX. It is fascinating to hear. Also, enjoying listening to the pieces on your youtube channel.

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: One Ohm] #2857127
06/09/19 11:09 PM
06/09/19 11:09 PM
Long Island, NY
A
AssociateX Offline
AssociateX  Offline
A

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by One Ohm
Thanks for sharing your story AssociateX. It is fascinating to hear. Also, enjoying listening to the pieces on your youtube channel.

Thank you! I am happy that you enjoyed the pieces, I apologize for the errant notes and unevenness in some clips (and sound quality), the channel was started initially as a type of practice progress journal, not sure what other clips to upload, I hate the record button but value the feedback, even harsh as it might come lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Completed:
1. Schubert -MM 3 and Impromptu 90/1
2. Bach- Prelude & Fugue (F min - WTC 2)
Working on:
1. Brahms Intermezzo Op 118 #2
2. Beethoven Sonata Op 2 # 1
My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2857245
06/10/19 12:35 PM
06/10/19 12:35 PM
Virginia
coaster Offline
coaster  Offline

Virginia
I'm nearly 50 and have been playing the piano for 44 years. I have lived in central Virginia (rural) for my entire married life (27 years) but grew up in Columbus, Ohio and northern Virginia (D.C. Metro area).

I started back to serious piano practice 3 years ago when I entered the 2016 Cliburn Amateur (as a bucket list sort of thing). However, I got hooked again on the competitions (just like when I was young) and so I'm still doing them. There's not a lot of opportunity to play around here, so these competitions and the friends I've made all over the world help me stay motivated to practice.

I currently work as a middle school music teacher. I teach 4 classes a day of Music Appreciation to 6th and 7th graders, and I direct the 8th grade Show Choir.

My other main interest is long-distance running, although I haven't done as much with that since I returned to a full-time job and I have the piano competition thing going on. However, I used to love running marathons and ultra-marathons. The longest race I ever ran was the 54-mile Mountain Masochist Trail run (known as MMTR), back in 2009. Now I'm lucky to run 3-4 time a week, maybe 20 miles a week at most.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: coaster] #2857357
06/10/19 07:55 PM
06/10/19 07:55 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by coaster
I'm nearly 50 and have been playing the piano for 44 years. I have lived in central Virginia (rural) for my entire married life (27 years) but grew up in Columbus, Ohio and northern Virginia (D.C. Metro area).

I started back to serious piano practice 3 years ago when I entered the 2016 Cliburn Amateur (as a bucket list sort of thing). However, I got hooked again on the competitions (just like when I was young) and so I'm still doing them. There's not a lot of opportunity to play around here, so these competitions and the friends I've made all over the world help me stay motivated to practice.

I currently work as a middle school music teacher. I teach 4 classes a day of Music Appreciation to 6th and 7th graders, and I direct the 8th grade Show Choir.

My other main interest is long-distance running, although I haven't done as much with that since I returned to a full-time job and I have the piano competition thing going on. However, I used to love running marathons and ultra-marathons. The longest race I ever ran was the 54-mile Mountain Masochist Trail run (known as MMTR), back in 2009. Now I'm lucky to run 3-4 time a week, maybe 20 miles a week at most.

Coaster's students are lucky to have her. Her piano playing is unbeliveably great!

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding chords, please help
by Pippa. 07/17/19 08:46 AM
Yesterday - The Beatles - piano arrangement
by nappy. 07/17/19 03:21 AM
Polished Ebony Finish
by Romar. 07/16/19 07:02 PM
1973 Mason & Hamlin Model A
by vickie1124. 07/16/19 06:12 PM
Digital Piano Headphones
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:53 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,039
Posts2,849,173
Members93,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission