2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by almo82
If you are thinking about buying from Peregrine’s- i would recommend you ask to see the pianos in the practice rooms.

They have A forester (don’t remember which model) and a Schimmel Konzert in the other. Both rooms are comparable to a typical living room in size.

The difference is that the practice rooms will give you a better feel for what the piano will sound like when at your house than the show room.

As Skalj pointed out , I tried the AF 215 and the K 189 in the practice rooms. .

The hall where it will be used has a height of more than 5 metres .....

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
Originally Posted by awesome10
I noticed something ...none of you recommend me to go for the A228 which is already there with my dealer . In most other cases I will have to place an order ( unable to go to the factories due to time constraints) .

Unless one has consciously played a recent Bechstein and taken a look under the hood, very few people are aware of Bechstein's complete redesign of their concert and academy series with a capo bar and a duplex scale. There is kind of an assumption that the traditional Bechstein sound with its clarity still lacks richness in colours and harmonics in the treble section.

If I had to replace my 1887 Steinway B with a modern instrument, it would either be an A228 or C234. Both pianos have an action that simply blew me away and I found something similarly responsive and precise only in a Yamaha CFX. The Bechsteins, together with the Fazioli 228 are a lot closer to a real, full-size concert grand than a Steinway C or a Yamaha C7 in my opinion.

It looks and plays really well , but I got really vague responses regarding the Bechstein Academy. The action is apparently not a proper Renner , the rim is thinner than the Concert series . There must be some difference when the A228 is around 50% of the C234's price. The Konzert series apparently also has a very wide tail it seems , which I was told has better projection capabilities.

Another thing .... what is this 'Triplex' scaling on the Schimmel's? Should their be both front and rear aliquots for the strings?

A
OP Offline
A
Another thing , after reclaiming the VAT , the piano(Schimmel K230T) will cost less than 45,000 pounds (according to the final quotation , and also including basement delivery and a concert stool)

O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by awesome10

It looks and plays really well , but I got really vague responses regarding the Bechstein Academy. The action is apparently not a proper Renner , the rim is thinner than the Concert series . There must be some difference when the A228 is around 50% of the C234's price. The Konzert series apparently also has a very wide tail it seems , which I was told has better projection capabilities.

Actions of both the concert and academy series are not "proper Renners" by definition. At the German factory site the actions provided by this external supplier will be disassembled and rebuilt according to Bechstein parameters and tolerances. In that regard concert and academy are pretty much identical. Same with Steinway Renner actions, BTW.

Academy models are built to meet every conceivable standard of being pounded on all day in an academy, whereas the concert series is what you are looking for in an instrument that fills a hall and can be recorded for posterity.

S
S
For those of you who are not that familiar with the Bechstein hammer philosophy, you might want to read this article published as a PDF on the Bechstein home page:
OPTIMIZING THE SOUND

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Skjalg
For those of you who are not that familiar with the Bechstein hammer philosophy, you might want to read this article published as a PDF on the Bechstein home page:
OPTIMIZING THE SOUND

Thanks.

Does the Schimmel use Abels?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Awesome10,

It doesn't matter if the piano uses Abel hammers or has a "dodecahedrex" duplex scale. All that matters is if you like the tonal quality and sustain through the various dynamics. Everything else is marketing.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
S
S
Schimmel uses Renner hammers.
The August Förster 215 can be ordered with Renner or Abel hammers. Default is Renner I believe.

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Hi Awesome10,

It doesn't matter if the piano uses Abel hammers or has a "dodecahedrex" duplex scale. All that matters is if you like the tonal quality and sustain through the various dynamics. Everything else is marketing.

Thanks for the reassurance.

S
S
Schimmel uses Renner hammers.
The August Förster 215 can be ordered with Renner or Abel hammers. Default is Renner I believe.

My mistake regarding the AF215. It comes with Abel hammers. The 190 comes with Renner.

Apparently the August Förster has a mineral plastic (Ivolan) on their top model upright, and their concert model; the 134 K and their 275 respectively. It can be ordered at a premium on other models. I have tried the same key top on Steingraeber & Söhne and Phoenix, and found it extremely pleasing. The Schimmel Konzert series has a similar mineral key top that I also enjoyed, as well as the Yamaha CF’s.

If you are genuinely interested in grand pianos in general, I would recommend a trip down to Hurstwood Farm Piano Studios near Sevenoaks in Kent. I am not aware of their current prices, but it should be treat either way.

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by joe80

I don't know much about the C. Bechstein Academy pianos. I know they're built half in the Czech republic or all in the Czech republic, and that doesn't put me off at all. They're very highly regarded, as are the W.Hoffman pianos. I imagine that you're looking at similar quality with a different sound when it comes to Hoffman vs Bechstein Academy.

Please don't spread misinformation.

If it says Bechstein on the fallboard of a modern instrument it was designed and manufactured in Germany. If it has W. Hoffmann on the fallboard, it was built in the Czech Republic, designed in Germany.

oops sorry i made a mistake.

talking of czech pianos there's also Petrof.

YAMAHA Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[quote=joe80]
I don't know much about the C. Bechstein Academy pianos. I know they're built half in the Czech republic or all in the Czech republic, and that doesn't put me off at all. They're very highly regarded, as are the W.Hoffman pianos. I imagine that you're looking at similar quality with a different sound when it comes to Hoffman vs Bechstein Academy.

I'd pass on Petrof - they're not in the same class as others mentioned - better than they used to be, but still not there.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
[quote=joe80]

I'd pass on Petrof - they're not in the same class as others mentioned - better than they used to be, but still not there.

I think their Ant. Petrof models are nice , though way out of my budget.

A
OP Offline
A
Just curious .... if we get the VAT rebate on the pianos (which works out to around 16.7% of the selling price) does it reduce the value of the piano lost by depreciation to some extent?

S
S
As far as I know, VAT in England is 20%.
So if you pay 120£ for a commodity, it would be 120/1.20 =100£ without VAT.

If the original sales price was 150£, but discounted with 30£ to 120£, the price you would pay without VAT would be (150-30)/1.20 = 100£.

By the way, I saw that Hurstwood Farm had a summer sale with 25% off on some models...

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
A
OP Offline
A
As far as I know, VAT in England is 20%.
So if you pay 120£ for a commodity, it would be 120/1.20 =100£ without VAT.

If the original sales price was 150£, but discounted with 30£ to 120£, the price you would pay without VAT would be (150-30)/1.20 = 100£.

By the way, I saw that Hurstwood Farm had a summer sale with 25% off on some models...

5/6 = 83.333 ..... making it a reduction of 16.67%

A
OP Offline
A
Could you please send me a link? The only pianos in stock seem to be 7 feet+ Steingraber's that are way out of my budget.

S
S
It was announced on their Facebook page yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/732819870158079/posts/2150542825052436?s=100012999733024&sfns=mo

If you mail them I am sure they will provide you with a list. You could also state your budget and ask if they have anything including floor models that would fit the bill.

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
A
OP Offline
A
It was announced on their Facebook page yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/732819870158079/posts/2150542825052436?s=100012999733024&sfns=mo

If you mail them I am sure they will provide you with a list. You could also state your budget and ask if they have anything including floor models that would fit the bill.

Thanks Skjalg.

Does anyone over here have an idea of how Phoenix's Carbon fibre soundboard feels like? I might pay them a visit next week ....

Last edited by awesome10; 06/09/19 01:39 PM.
S
S
I wrote a few lines about it on my way home from a family holiday in London a while back.
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...piano-display-in-london.html#Post2716948

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission