2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (auflauf, clothearednincompo, foxy.au, Alex Hutor, 36251, Frédéric L, 10 invisible), 439 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 58 of 176 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 175 176
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On
Tyrone Slothrop #2856166 06/06/19 05:51 PM
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by nax
Did anyone manage to use the Smart Pianist App with the N1X?

Yep.

[Linked Image]

So much stuff on the piano. I freak out if my wife puts anything onto it. laugh

Kawai Novus NV5 | Yamaha P-115
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Minigrand | VI Labs Modern U
(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Tyrone Slothrop #2856174 06/06/19 06:08 PM
V
V
Originally Posted by nax
Did anyone manage to use the Smart Pianist App with the N1X?

Yep.

[Linked Image]

Cool setup! Would love to see a video tour of how you use it all... so much we could learn from it!

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
vara411 #2856215 06/06/19 10:26 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
So much stuff on the piano. I freak out if my wife puts anything onto it. laugh

In the photo, the only things on the piano are my Gizli on the music stand who watches me play, the iPad, music book, and my HD800 headphones. The other things in the photo (monitor, electronic gear) is either wall-mounted or on shelves which are themselves wall-mounted. I also do have a camera mounted on the left side arm of the piano (and there is one out-of-sight on the right side arm too) using a soft, padded mount that doesn't scratch or harm the finish on the piano, and those two plus the wall-mounted camera above that is out of view, are for my twice-a-week piano lessons.

Originally Posted by vara411
Cool setup! Would love to see a video tour of how you use it all... so much we could learn from it!

Ok. I haven't worked them out so they work optimally yet so I am not totally feeling good about everything. When I do have it all worked out in a week or two, I can give a video tour. For now, I'll just say that besides the headphones and iPad (and Gizli) whose use is obvious, the monitor is connected to a mini-PC running Win10Pro and Pianoteq. It also runs Zoom.us hooked up to the 3 cameras, which I use for my piano lessons, as well as Piano Marvel and SRF. The electronic gear to the upper right that is just out of view includes audio mixers, an external interface, the mini-PC itself, and some associated items.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
David B #2856218 06/06/19 10:41 PM
H
H
Hi everyone!

I have a question for all N1X users regarding the sound quality.
Does the N1X sound good regardless of the volume level?

I’m asking this, because my current digital piano (YDP-163) doesn’t sound as good with low volume as it does with high. I don’t know if this is a problem of sound perception, but it’s not just that the volume gets lower, I feel that the quality (the feeling that it sounds like an acoustic piano) also gets worse.

In addition, most video reviews of the N1X are at full volume, so the piano might sound good because of it. So I would like to know if the acoustic-like sound of the N1X gets affected by the volume setting, and if so, how much noticeable is it?

Thanks in advance!

Haruki #2856260 06/07/19 03:19 AM
N
nax Offline
N
Originally Posted by Haruki

In addition, most video reviews of the N1X are at full volume, so the piano might sound good because of it. So I would like to know if the acoustic-like sound of the N1X gets affected by the volume setting, and if so, how much noticeable is it?

I don't think the sound is worse at low volume. If you disable IAC (which increases the bass at low volume) it sounds very similar except that it just feels less like a real piano if it does not produce a similar volume.

nax #2856264 06/07/19 03:46 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by nax
Originally Posted by Haruki

I don't think the sound is worse at low volume. If you disable IAC (which increases the bass at low volume) it sounds very similar except that it just feels less like a real piano if it does not produce a similar volume.

Thanks. Great to know! I wonder if other N1X users feel the same.

David B #2856277 06/07/19 04:47 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
^ Yes, I concur.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
David B #2856278 06/07/19 04:50 AM
N
nax Offline
N
What I noticed is that if you play other music through the N1X speakers (or other VST pianos) it sounds a bit thin/tinny. I guess reason is the way stereo signals are distributed over the 4 channels of the N1X speaker system. There is probably some room for optimization with better firmware, but I don't expect Yamaha to do that. Maybe it is also just personal sound preference.

nax #2856315 06/07/19 08:26 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nax
What I noticed is that if you play other music through the N1X speakers (or other VST pianos) it sounds a bit thin/tinny. I guess reason is the way stereo signals are distributed over the 4 channels of the N1X speaker system. There is probably some room for optimization with better firmware, but I don't expect Yamaha to do that. Maybe it is also just personal sound preference.

I did notice this. But I've used the speakers all of about 1 hour total since getting my N1X - the rest of the time with my headphones. If I cared more about speakers, I might try sending the CFX sound to my mini-PC and process it using a dedicated reverb app like EastWest Spaces II before sending the sound back to the N1X's speakers, to see if anything can be done to improve things there a bit, but as it is, it would get me a near zero return.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
David B #2856477 06/07/19 05:05 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone, that hook down there is to hang your headphones on, please take them off the top ;-P

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
David B #2856483 06/07/19 05:16 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My wife saw that picture. She called it a "hot mess".
Her usual utterance is "Clean it up ... or I'll clean it for you and you won't like it." smile

Chrispy #2856484 06/07/19 05:17 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Tyrone, that hook down there is to hang your headphones on, please take them off the top ;-P

I need an aftermarket hook for the stand of the P-515. Does such a thing exist? I’m tired of putting the headphones on top and worrying I’m going to drop them on the keyboard.

David B #2856500 06/07/19 06:18 PM
Look for the part number for the headphone hook of any console piano. Buy it from the manufacturers parts web site.
(Yamaha's site in the US is easy. Or just call them and they'll look for the part number.)
The hook attaches with a screw or two. Simple.

For my old Clav the part number is V8972600 for the "Headphone Hanger".

MacMacMac #2856505 06/07/19 06:33 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
My wife saw that picture. She called it a "hot mess".
Her usual utterance is "Clean it up ... or I'll clean it for you and you won't like it." smile

Hey hey! I was just complaining to my piano teacher yesterday that I completely blame you (and two others that will remain unnamed) on this forum for my spending almost a day and a half re-cabling my computer and piano.

In fact, this saga is not over. I just hired a professional audio technician to pay me a "house call" tomorrow afternoon to re-cable everything again and configure everything on my PC!

The last straw for me was that this morning, I was following the advice on this thread from another member on why my recording level was so low, and now, as a result of whatever I did, I no longer have any sound whatsoever from my computer! Argh!!!!! mad I'm handing things over to a professional! crazy

[Linked Image]

David B #2856562 06/08/19 02:13 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Over in this thread I posted about doing a penny test and estimated the touch weight of the N1X is 55 grams.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
David B #2856827 06/09/19 01:41 AM
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
There has been some discussion on key weight so I thought I'd perform a basic test on my N1X. I'm not a piano technician so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but perhaps it will contribute to the discussion. I called it static weight (as in how much it takes to get the key moving from a static position), but I've seen it called touch weight and down weight so I'm not sure what the correct term is. I'll compare it with two Kawai acoustic pianos that I have access to when I get a chance.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 06/09/19 01:45 AM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
David B #2856882 06/09/19 07:53 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
There has been some discussion on key weight so I thought I'd perform a basic test on my N1X. I'm not a piano technician so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but perhaps it will contribute to the discussion. I called it static weight (as in how much it takes to get the key moving from a static position), but I've seen it called touch weight and down weight so I'm not sure what the correct term is. I'll compare it with two Kawai acoustic pianos that I have access to when I get a chance.

I am thinking that if there is a difference that could be as much as 10g between two adjacent keys, this piano action might need regulation. Because it will be difficult to play evenly (w/ respect to dynamics). One of the things that is done during regulation is carefully measuring and adding counterweights to each key, for example. Can someone more knowledgeable about acoustical pianos comment? I'm going to ask about this on the Piano Technican forum.

[Linked Image]

David B #2856884 06/09/19 07:56 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Putting friction aside, how would the weight of keys change unless gravity on earth changes? smile Or unless you have wood bugs eating the action? Or the metal weights in the keys evaporated? I guess it’s an interesting question that might generate good material for a sci-fi TV show smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/09/19 07:57 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
David B #2856887 06/09/19 08:00 AM
B
B
I heard the weight must be placed 1 cm from the edge of the key (?)

Chopin is the only dead man that makes me feel alive.
Bro'
Tyrone Slothrop #2856889 06/09/19 08:08 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm going to ask about this on the Piano Technican forum.

Those interested in this question of a 10g difference between adjacent keys can follow and/or add to any discussion on this thread over here in the Piano Technician forum.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Putting friction aside, how would the weight of keys change unless gravity on earth changes? smile Or unless you have wood bugs eating the action? Or the metal weights in the keys evaporated? I guess it’s an interesting question that might generate good material for a sci-fi TV show smile

Sounds like something to ask on my new PT thread that I started smile

Originally Posted by Bro'
I heard the weight must be placed 1 cm from the edge of the key (?)

So it's possible that David B didn't measure each key in the official way, but he did measure the three his video consistently. The weight required to make the key go down would of course go up as you go back toward the pivot.

[Linked Image]

Page 58 of 176 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 175 176

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keep playing no matter what
by Tom97 - 11/29/20 06:14 AM
K. Kawai piano. Best tuning,
by Maximillyan - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,122
Posts3,028,379
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission