2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianomadam:

---so, then, I guess this proves nothing until you are able to get both figures from both companies. Also, isn't comparing two different years statistically unreliable?
Oh... I didn't mean to imply that it proves anything. I was simply disappointed that I couldn't get Yamaha's marketing numbers and Steinway's R&D numbers. I am quite willing to believe that Steinway had appreciable R&D expenditures recently, given their recent tweaks for Model B and resurrections of Models A and Model O in their NY factory. smile

If you have Steinway's R&D numbers, though, do share. Same for any one who might have Yamaha's marketing numbers for musical instruments.

Comparing different years are actually OK, in this case, because Yamaha's financial year and Steinway's financial year starts in different quarters (six months overlap, I think), and I only meant to compare marketing and R&D expenses as percentages of sales, not comparing absolute numbers. smile

"I have to say that nothing says sales weasel more than putting down Yamaha pianos not based on what is missing from a particular model, but because another division of their company makes an unrelated product"

---Hi Keith, good to hear from you. Sales "weasel"..ouch! As I have stated before, this (focus of a company) IS a huge issue. To minimize it is beyond me. On one hand you have a Steinway-designed Boston piano, designed by THE NAME in pianos, and on the other hand you have a Yamaha C-series. I'm sorry, but serious musicians are going for the Boston much more often than for the Yamaha C-series. If your experience shows you otherwise, so be it. I can only speak for my store.

"Every post you make, PianoMadam, sets a new standard in worthlessness. And, I know your answer will be " give me an example of my worthless posts"

---Yikes! Someone really is having a bad day. The stronger the statement the more it needs to be backed up with specific evidence. In the scientific community statements like yours would be thrown out and completely discredited without clear examples. This is especially the case for someone such as yourself whom is obviously biased, never supporting my statements (when they are deemed to be worthy by yourself) but, instead, criticizing unconstructively due to the knowledge that I sell a different product.

"Well, we are all waiting for you to give an example of a thoughtful post that isn't some rehashed nonsense out of the Steinway/Boston/Essex sales training or from a brochure"

---examples please! You are coming dangerously close to being, in the scientific world, an outcast!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You are a real piece of work there PianoMadam.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
(predictably) from Pianomadam]
On one hand you have a Steinway-designed Boston piano, designed by THE NAME in pianos, and on the other hand you have a Yamaha C-series. I'm sorry, but serious musicians are going for the Boston much more often than for the Yamaha C-series.
Congratulations, Pianomadam!

You have saved others the bother of giving examples of a perfectly worthless post by providing yet another sterling example on your own. 'THE NAME' in pianos is right up there with the 'bragging rights', the 'Ooooh, you have a Steinway factor', and the 'doctors prefer Steinway' line.

'Serious musicians going for Boston' is laughable as well. What is a serious musician? Is it anyone who goes for a Boston? Does buying a Boston prove one's seriousness? Are musicians who buy a Yamaha C series frivolous pretenders who don't know from diddly about the Steinway mystique? Is that your role in life, to pass judgment on who is a serious musician and who is not?

You have the rare talent to offend and insult everyone on all sides of a question. To non-Steinway owners, you are no doubt highly irritating, but to Steinway owners you are more like a plague on their house.

And then to put a bow on the package, you have the gall to spout this gibberish and simultaneously talk about standards of proof in the scientific community.

Steinway doesn't need this drivel. Steinway doesn't need you. You should button your lips and let Steinway pianos speak for themselves.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You have saved others the bother of giving examples of a perfectly worthless post by providing yet another sterling example on your own.
[Linked Image]

Thanks William, that made my morning!

PianoMadam,

You might want to examine the posting history of a number of people here. Rich Galassini is one, as is Keith, who is not shy about expressing his irritation above laugh . No one expects you to throw rocks at the line of products you represent. On the other hand, the best examples of sales representatives who post here rarely tout their own wares. And when say anything about a model they carry or a change in one of their products, they are usually very circumspect about it. These posters also rarely, if ever, engage in hyperbole, and they have too much respect for the industry and the instrument to say anything negative about other makers absent very strong evidence or very strong provocation.

Iamgoobie,

I forget whether you have actually played the Petrof V, or just the IV. I have not played the V. For my tastes, the model IV's that I have played have varied quite a lot in tone and touch, and that scared me. Also, for my personal taste a 5'3" size is too small to appeal to me. I find that grand piano scale designs lose their appeal at much under 6'. The Mason AA may be one of the only exceptions. I'm also wondering if the Yamaha that you played was not in really good condition. The Yamaha action is usually very consistent. I would not describe it as stiff or sticky. That has been more my experience on the Petrofs, actually. The new Yamaha C series pianos that I have played have had very responsive actions, even the C2 size which is not my favorite.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
turandot:
You have the rare talent to offend and insult everyone on all sides of a question. To non-Steinway owners, you are no doubt highly irritating, but to Steinway owners you are more like a plague on their house.

Well said.

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
S
S
PianoMadam,

Go to the bottom of this post and click on the word "Posts". It will show you my last 50 posts. In my stores I carry Samick products along with Petrof, and Kawai digitals.

I think you will see that what I carry has little effect on how I respond to posters questions. That isn't to say that I haven't tauted our lines, after all, I choose to carry them because I felt they were "best buys" in their price range. But, I consistantly support considering other brands as well.

You, on the other hand, focus strictly on Steinway, Boston and Essex. And, you do that poorly!

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

"'THE NAME' in pianos is right up there with the 'bragging rights', the 'Ooooh, you have a Steinway factor', and the 'doctors prefer Steinway' line."

---In my experience, these are the reactions I do get from most customers and, just people in general. I am not sure if you are in the piano business, Turandot, but if you are I'm shocked that this has not been the experience of many, if not most, of your customers. From the concert stage, which piano do you see up there being played by the concert pianists more than any other? The STATISTICS show: 98%, as of 2006. Yah...I think that qualifies as THE NAME.

"You have the rare talent to offend and insult everyone on all sides of a question"

---Statistically-speaking, there are just a few that repeatedly attack or nit-pick my comments on this forum. Most do not. I would not consider that "everyone". Others will sometimes jump on the bandwagon of the "finger-waggers" for whatever motivation they have. Sometimes, I admit, I have deserved some of the criticism. When I make a mistake I'll admit it. Let's not go overboard, however, Turandot.

"You should button your lips and let Steinway pianos speak for themselves"

---Sorry, no can do. Few others are really sticking up for the product on this forum. I don't know if others have attempted and left or what the deal is. I wouldn't blame them. This forum gives me a chance to inform others of the "not rated highly in Larry Fine" and "priced highly because of the Steinway name" Essex and Boston pianos that oh, so many, are ready to downplay as simply "marketing tools of Steinway".

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
---Sorry, no can do. Few others are really sticking up for the product on this forum.
That is too funny! How can you not see that you just made Steinways sound like pianos which are unable to stand on their own merits?

The reasons so many Steinways are used on concert stages is as much a product of their marketing as it is of their quality. They make a great piano, true, but they also do everything they can to prevent pianists from performing on anything other than a Steinway. Despite Steinways predatory actions, several of the greatest who can make choices despite Steinways's behavior, have still chosen to perform on Fazioli or Bosendorfers. It's also interesting that when they have the money, they are also buying them. And while Steinway dominates the stage in the US because of the ready supply of D's available to any performing pianist who becomes a "Steinway Artist", the variety is much greater in Europe and elsewhere where Steinway can't withhold the only available piano in so many places.

from the NYTimes:

"''It was enormously vindictive,'' Mr. Ohlsson said recently about the aftermath of his comment, on the eve of a 1972 Alice Tully Hall concert, that Bösendorfer was ''the Rolls-Royce of pianos.''

Steinway swiftly retaliated by trucking away the concert grand Mr. Ohlsson was about to play. Mr. Ohlsson ended up performing on a Bösendorfer borrowed at the 11th hour, but Steinway barred him from using its instruments for some time.
"
So if Steinway provides the only adequate piano to 98% of the venues around the US, how many pianists can afford not to play them?

"According to Steinway, some 1,300 performing concert pianists in the world, more than 90 percent, are now formally associated with the company, including Mr. Ashkenazy, Emanuel Ax, Murray Perahia and Mitsuko Uchida.They all own Steinways and are expected to perform exclusively on the company's instruments. Affiliation as a Steinway artist ensures performers access to an array of instruments for recitals and recordings.

more examples?

Angela Hewitt, a leading interpreter of Bach, was removed from the Steinway roster two years ago after she purchased and performed on a Fazioli, even though her recordings to that point had all been made on Steinways. ''It's a shame that it gets a bit dirty,'' she said. ''A lot of people don't know there are wonderful alternatives out there. The Steinway is beautiful, but it doesn't give you the subtlety or the finesse that you get from a Fazioli.''

Nikolai Demidenko, who was also dropped from the Steinway roster, asked, ''Did anybody ever complain to Paganini that he used a Guarneri and not the Stradivari violin?''

Complain is just what Steinway did when another of its artists, Louis Lortie, performed on a Fazioli -- to rave reviews -- at Carnegie Hall last November. ''I was shocked to see him playing the Fazioli,'' said Mr. Goodrich, of Steinway. The firm gives leeway to artists when a Steinway is unavailable or when the one at hand is in poor condition. But this was certainly not the case at Carnegie Hall. Mr. Lortie could have had his pick from a bank of superlative concert grands at Steinway's flagship showroom, just across the street. ''I don't want anyone on our roster,'' Mr. Goodrich said, ''who doesn't want to play the Steinway exclusively.''

??? exclusively ??? Seems like Steinway is doing everything they can to prevent their "Steinway Artists" from having the freedom of choice to play the piano they want.

This is the last blurb I'll quote, because I like the last line of it:

While concert artists say they are pleased that competition drives up standards, some still feel that Steinway's hegemony has left them with too little choice, since they believe that certain repertory sounds better on another instrument. ''It is brainwashing,'' said Andras Schiff of Steinway's market strategy. He went on several European stages last winter playing both a Bösendorfer and a Steinway in the same concert, changing with the piece. He added, ''It's as if the car industry were such that everybody was obligated to drive a Mercedes.''

Valentina Lisitsa, a Ukrainian-born pianist who prefers Bösendorfers, said she had encountered roadblocks to playing one at some of her American concerts. ''They created all kinds of difficulties,'' Ms. Lisitsa said of the response to her insistence on playing a Bösendorfer with the Atlanta Symphony in October. ''Steinway tried everything to get me to play Steinway, including some Steinway representative waiting for me in my dressing room right before the concert and asking me in not a very polite way why would I choose to play another piano.''

Steinway's Southeast district sales manager, Victor Geiger, confirmed that he spoke to Ms. Lisitsa in Atlanta. ''Whenever an artist is in the vicinity, I always introduce myself and ask whether we can do anything,'' he said. ''We believe an artist has the right to play the instrument that best suits their needs.'' The administration of the Atlanta Symphony, which owns two Steinway recital instruments, denied that there was any difficulty.

Bösendorfer established a new foothold last June when it became the official piano of the Blue Note, the famous jazz club in Greenwich Village. A news release announcing the Blue Note's decision included an endorsement from the pianist Billy Taylor, a Steinway artist who had played a Bösendorfer at the club.

''Steinway went ballistic,'' said Steven Bensusan, the club's owner, and another release was issued without Mr. Taylor's name.

''I liked that particular piano,'' Mr. Taylor said after the switch. ''But I prefer the Steinway.''

I don't know if Mr. Taylor was presured to say that, but I do know there will be many artists who really do prefer the Steinway to the Bosendorfer. Of course, given equal access to Steinway, Fazioli, Steingraeber, Bosendorfer, and others, we all know it wouldn't be close to 90%.

Previously: M&H AA (2006)
Currently: Phoenix C212 (2016)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
"You should button your lips and let Steinway pianos speak for themselves"

---Sorry, no can do. Few others are really sticking up for the product on this forum. I don't know if others have attempted and left or what the deal is. I wouldn't blame them. This forum gives me a chance to inform others of the "not rated highly in Larry Fine" and "priced highly because of the Steinway name" Essex and Boston pianos that oh, so many, are ready to downplay as simply "marketing tools of Steinway".
Pianomadam,

Do you really feel that Steinway products need someone to stick up for them here? If so, you should by all means do that. But I think it would benefit Steinway if you chose a different tack. Members here are more apt to be persuaded by fact than by such statements as "Serious pianists are going for Boston, and not for Yamaha".

If you defend Steinway with hype and image, objective readers will begin to wonder if Steinway is more image than substance at this point, and if it has abandoned product quality for marketing hype. Surely that is the last thing you want.

To answer your question, I do not sell pianos. I respond to your posts as a consumer. When you constantly talk about company image, I suspect that the image is hiding some deficiencies.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Iamgoobie,

I came back to see if PM had answered the critism, and realized we completely hijacked your thread. I am VERY VERY SORRY.

I hope you didn't rule out the Boston piano because of our bickering. It's a good piano, made by Kawai, and sold by Steinway dealers. Another poster just bought a Boston over a Kawai. He felt it was a coin toss between the two, but paid a lower price for the Boston and it had the finish he preferred. Satin over gloss.

If your Boston dealer's pianos aren't well prepped, maybe you can find a Kawai to look at. Who knows, their actions might tolerate humidity changes better than the Bostons or the Yamahas.

I also note that few of us mentioned that you could also look at some high end uprights. If the sound of a small grand doesn't work for you, you might prefer a large upright, and they are easier to fit in small places!

Anyway, best of luck,
Todd

Toddler2: Do you realize that you have to buy a Steinway & Sons piano to even be considered a candidate as a Steinway artist? The other half is that you have to promote the instrument. Contracts are signed so that they will not be broken. Why is this hard to stomach?

"...but they also do everything they can to prevent pianists from performing on anything other than a Steinway"

---the venues did not sign the contract. They can buy whatever piano they so choose. The fact that they have a Steinway there should tell you something about the instrument.

"So if Steinway provides the only adequate piano to 98% of the venues around the US, how many pianists can afford not to play them"

---I have a hard time believing that, if a concert artist believed that a Bosendorfer/Fazioli was the only piano for him/her, that the local Bosendorfer/Fazioli dealer would not do everything they could to assure that Bosendorfer/Fazioli is available for the artist to perform on, likely not charging anything because of the exposure.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You are being naive.

Have you looked at the venues the steinway artists are playing? I tried, looking at some of the P's for you and the T's for me. (Granted I couldn't find half the artists on the Steinway Artists List, even with a google search) In addition to several large venues, they listed the Anchorage Symphony, the Key West Symphony, The Salt Palace Convention Center in Utah, The Sioux City Community Theater, The First Community Church in Rapid City SD, and smile several coffee houses . . .

I think it's fantastic that Steinway has the ability and is willing to provide these musicians with a piano to play a small venue in any major city in the US, just for contracting to play Steinway exclusively. But let's not lose sight of the fact that it provides a pretty good incentive for those pianists to sign up! If buying a decent Steinway upright is the price of admission, I'm sure I'd be game.

And if I ever made it big enough that I didn't absolutely need Steinway . . .
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

Anyway, this remains off topic and you're arguing with Andras Schiff, Garrick Ohlsson, Angela Hewitt, Louis Lortie, and the NYTimes, so I'll let your reply to this be the last word. If you want to debate the topic further, I think we should start a new thread.
Regards
Todd

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission