Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
118 registered members (AndrewJCW, Abdol, Arty Movie, Antihero, Animisha, ArturC, Ankee, anotherscott, achoo42, 30 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A440 or less..... #2852624
05/27/19 07:45 AM
05/27/19 07:45 AM
Minto, NB Canada
Duaner Offline OP
Duaner  Offline OP

Minto, NB Canada
I'm curious to read of the circumstances (rusty strings primarily but maybe other points.....) that would cause you to "immediately" start to think (upon inspecting the strings or something else) I better tune this piano a little lower than standard. I think I can say that none of us want to run into a rash of broken strings, SO, what is the clue for you? What is it that would convince you that, well, I will try to level it out at A435 or A437 because.....and as a secondary question (please answer the first one before this one) do you even tell the piano owner??

Last edited by Duaner; 05/27/19 07:47 AM.

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2852630
05/27/19 08:23 AM
05/27/19 08:23 AM
Washington State
AWilley Offline

AWilley  Offline

Washington State
Rusty strings with some of them previously broken. I let the piano owner choose...tune a half step flat or risk paying to repair/replace more broken strings. Also I just jump straight to A415. A piano that is in-tune a half step flat is slightly less annoying to me than a piano that's tuned a quarter-step flat.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2852665
05/27/19 09:44 AM
05/27/19 09:44 AM
KZ, Uralsk
Maximillyan Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maximillyan  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

KZ, Uralsk
Originally Posted by Duaner
I'm curious to read of the circumstances (rusty strings primarily but maybe other points.....) that would cause you to "immediately" start to think (upon inspecting the strings or something else) I better tune this piano a little lower than standard. I think I can say that none of us want to run into a rash of broken strings, SO, what is the clue for you? What is it that would convince you that, well, I will try to level it out at A435 or A437 because.....and as a secondary question (please answer the first one before this one) do you even tell the piano owner??

I'm always try first tuning making near 435 because if we are not know it's piano: who tuninged it's piano 20 that years ago, what it's quality pin, string and ect.

Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2853301
05/28/19 08:51 PM
05/28/19 08:51 PM
Maine, USA
R
Rick_Parks Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rick_Parks  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Maine, USA
Originally Posted by Duaner

I would generalize it (for me at least) to:
Whenever a piano has good bit of rust and corrosion and is about 25 cents flat or more (usually if it is within 25 cents and has no sign of broken strings, you can get away with it- even with rust present)... If broken strings are present- definitely tune where it is. Also, if the customer does not wish to take the chances involved with string breakage...Though I still might test a few strings out here and there after lubing friction points and backing down 1/4 turn before pulling up.
* But, really - if this is the case- it might be better to suggest them getting a better used piano (rather than putting this money into something that cannot be tuned to pitch).

But, ALL requires a fully informed customer- which means you explaining things to them in an understandable way... It might take a little bit of extra time in explaining, but it pays off later to let the informed client decide for themselves. You do not want to be the recipient of a phone call with an upset customer asking, "why was the piano not tuned properly". Or worse yet, no phone call, but your name being spread around town as a bad tuner!
So, rule #1 - ALWAYS inform the customer-- it's their instrument, it's their decision. smile

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2853439
05/29/19 07:53 AM
05/29/19 07:53 AM
Haverhill, MA
G
Gerry Johnston Offline
Gerry Johnston  Offline
G

Haverhill, MA
Sometime in my first few years in business a customer left a key under the doormat so i could let myself in. The piano was an old upright. It had clearly not been tuned in many years and was a semitone flat. During out phone conversation the customer never gave any indication of wanting 440. Being young and inexperienced I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving it flat and saving the customer the added cost of a pitch raise. Turned out that someone in the family played the flute and they were upset that their duet with the piano didn't sound so good. Lesson learned - NEVER assume that leaving the piano flat will be O.K. AS Rick said "ALWAYS" talk to the customer about it.

Gerry Johnston, Registered Piano Technician
Haverhill, MA
(978) 372-2250
www.gjpianotuner.com
Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2853447
05/29/19 08:09 AM
05/29/19 08:09 AM
PA
L
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Loren D  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

PA
I generally strive for 440 (though there are times when floating the pitch is applicable when it's a few cents either way, depending on seasonal projections), but I always inform the customer and let them decide.

In all cases, I warn of the potential for broken strings and the need for a follow-up tuning and let them make the call. If the strings are rusted or there is a visible history of previously broken strings, I usually recommend to not raise the pitch. They usually follow my recommendation.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Loren D] #2853473
05/29/19 09:13 AM
05/29/19 09:13 AM
KZ, Uralsk
Maximillyan Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maximillyan  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

KZ, Uralsk
Originally Posted by Loren D
I generally strive for 440 (though there are times when floating the pitch is applicable when it's a few cents either way, depending on seasonal projections), but I always inform the customer and let them decide.

In all cases, I warn of the potential for broken strings and the need for a follow-up tuning and let them make the call. If the strings are rusted or there is a visible history of previously broken strings, I usually recommend to not raise the pitch. They usually follow my recommendation.

thanks for your clearity, Loren D

Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2853620
05/29/19 03:38 PM
05/29/19 03:38 PM
Lagos, Nigeria, West Africa
I
Israel Bright Offline
Israel Bright  Offline
I

Lagos, Nigeria, West Africa
Those who have contributed so far have mentioned the most important things; taking a position(professionally) and relating such to the piano owner. Most of the times, they need to be told that such rust, breakages etc resulted from a long time of negligence and that it would require 2 or even 3 tunings before it would be stable...most owners would not mind if its not tuned to 440HZ, especially when such explanations have been offered...if no compromise is reached, its better to let the piano be...most piano owners expect technicians to 'perform miracles' by bringing a dead piano back to live!

Last edited by Israel Bright; 05/29/19 03:42 PM.
Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2855025
06/02/19 08:28 PM
06/02/19 08:28 PM
UK
G
Goof Offline
Goof  Offline
G

UK
I tune my own piano a B.Brock upright of about 1945 vintage. When I bought it about ten years back I tuned it to 440 using a little electronic Yamaha tuner. Now as it has slowly dropped I have set the tuner at its lowest = 435 . However, if the note sounds OK to me I leave it as it is.
The most anoying notes are the first six bichords where I've had to do major matching of the hammer to its strings. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that they are the first notes on the base bridge

Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2855063
06/02/19 10:43 PM
06/02/19 10:43 PM
M
michaelopolis Offline
michaelopolis  Offline
M

keep the customer happy, many people are miserable tight wads with money, 80% of these music lovers???? don't want the hassle and small cost of replacing a bass string. That's the world we or at least I live in .

Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2855103
06/03/19 03:33 AM
06/03/19 03:33 AM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Online content
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
D

Scotland
My world too, michaelopolis. I'm very sceptical these days when I hear protestations of sentimentality about a piano - "It means such a lot, it was granny's piano". Actually it means so little, that they have only rarely had it tuned, have allowed it to fall to and remain at a low pitch for decades, and to go unregulated for its entire life.

It's surprising how quickly the wallet snaps shut in front of the sentimental piano when money gets mentioned.

Re: A440 or less..... [Re: Duaner] #2855119
06/03/19 07:35 AM
06/03/19 07:35 AM
P
pianotuner00 Offline
pianotuner00  Offline
P

Yeah I'd talk to the customer. Tell them the risks and let them decide. I feel once I've warned them of the chance of breaking a string and they still ask me to go ahead then I'm covered if it happens. I'd always rather tune to the expected 440 but wouldn't push it without the customer go-ahead in some cases.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lang Lang Video - Bach WTC Prelude
by apianostudent. 10/23/19 12:58 PM
Ignore if not a coffee drinker
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/19 11:51 AM
Your best practices for scoring improvs
by Abdol. 10/23/19 10:15 AM
DIY Grand Piano Action recondition and regulation
by TurboMatt. 10/23/19 10:13 AM
Weird old beginner piano songs
by DutchTea. 10/23/19 09:23 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,692
Posts2,882,589
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission