Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
123 registered members (604Rakuda, AndrewJCW, amad23, ArturC, 36251, ando, 8ude, AaronSF, anotherscott, A441, 31 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 3 Different Types of Practice Strategies and geronto-pianism [Re: Nahum] #2854273
05/31/19 02:08 PM
05/31/19 02:08 PM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Nahum,
That is interesting about the hand application.

I had an experience a couple of years back that may be relevant.

I'm primarily a trombone player. One of the things I taught myself during a period overseas when practice time was quite limited was to be familiar with all key signatures. I did this by taking one key a week and working it every day note by note - two notes at a time for my entire range, then three, then four, etc. This built motor memory (I hate that term, it's really in your brain, but we know what I mean) separately for each key. This is good on trombone, because there is often a choice of position for a given note, and a scale in one key signature may use very different choices than in another. The trombone is an asymmetric instrument where some half steps are close and easy, others very hard. The advantage of this exercise was that no key signature became intimidating, and I could sightread music in longer phrases rather than note by note.

Then I injured my right shoulder. No problem, you can put a trombone together left handed just as easily.

Except, the scales were gone. Not from muscle memory, where I expected some impact, but from theoretical memory. I could no longer remember what notes were in a B major scale without stopping to think. Or in an Eb major scale that I've probably played many thousands of times.

gotta go practice
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: 3 Different Types of Practice Strategies and geronto-pianism [Re: Nahum] #2854282
05/31/19 02:32 PM
05/31/19 02:32 PM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
Improving Cognitive Function in Older Adults: Nontraditional Approaches
https://academic.oup.com/psychsocgerontology/article/62/Special_Issue_1/45/2965150

IMPROVING COGNITION THROUGH ACTIVATION OF AUTOMATIC PROCESSES

One area that has received a great deal of attention in improving everyday function of older adults is the area of medical adherence. This is a particularly salient issue for older adults, given that the cognitive declines that accompany normal aging ) may affect adherence by impeding older adults' ability to perform desirable health maintenance behaviors. A substantial literature on medical information processing indicates that older adults may have more difficulty comprehending, remembering, and following physician instructions compared to younger adults . One approach to improving medication adherence has been to train the component processes thought to underlie medication adherence, such as speed of processing, reasoning, and memory. Ball and colleagues demonstrated that although training on component processes improved performance on those component processes, the improvement did not transfer to activities of daily living (e.g., medication adherence). Another major approach has not involved training, but rather has relied on the provision of external cues and reminders ( or the reorganization of medical information to make it more memorable . These nontraining approaches have been relatively successful in facilitating adherence behavior.

Nevertheless, it is not always possible to rely on external cues or restructuring of information, and it would be very desirable to develop effective training or instructional techniques to foster improvement that rely on improving some aspect of cognitive function within the individual. One successful strategy for improving cognition in older adults might be to rely on cognitive processes that remain intact with age in the service of a particular goal, rather than attempting to train declining function.

Re: 3 Different Types of Practice Strategies and geronto-pianism [Re: Nahum] #2854295
05/31/19 03:04 PM
05/31/19 03:04 PM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
Originally Posted by TimR

Then I injured my right shoulder. No problem, you can put a trombone together left handed just as easily.

Of course you need a trombone for left-handers. During the period of military service, I began to play Dixieland on trombone; and it is exactly sewn on my character. But ... you cannot grasp the immensity! laugh

Re: 3 Different Types of Practice Strategies and geronto-pianism [Re: Nahum] #2857271
06/10/19 02:28 PM
06/10/19 02:28 PM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
I think that the readers of this topic will be interested to know how, depending on age, changes the time spent on studying and transferring to the keyboard polyrhythmic construction of West African music - only by ear, without notes.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sFFMJQNsSL8?feature=player_detailpage&autoplay=1

- pattern of 6/4 from 0: 25

In youth, it could take me approx. 40 minutes . At this days , it took me 4 ,5 hours - three times for an hour and a half.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
Remove swirl marks, polish gloss ebony finish?
by TurboMatt. 10/17/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,249
Members94,688
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission