Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
120 registered members (AndrewJCW, Abdol, Antihero, Animisha, Ankee, anotherscott, achoo42, AlphaBravoCharlie, apianostudent, 27 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? #2854099
05/31/19 03:54 AM
05/31/19 03:54 AM
Danmark
M
Morten Olsson Online content OP
Morten Olsson  Online Content OP
M

Danmark
Hi,

I had a K300 (ATX2) acoustic for 6 months as a rental. Loved the thing to bits but sadly I am not in a position to purchase it outright at this time.
As a replacement I got a Kawai ES8. The ES8 is lovely - I really enjoy playing it even if I miss the properties of the acoustic.

On thing I've noticed is that I find it I can achieve quite a bit more nuance / control regarding dynamics on the ES8 than I could on the K300.
Is this a known quality of upright acoustics or simply an expressions of my limited experience as a player (been playing for just over a year).
To put it another way - am I cheating and missing out on learning control by playing the "easy" instrument ?

With a bit of luck I will have an acoustic upright in my life again soonish - keeping my fingers crossed on that count.

Cheers

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854100
05/31/19 04:02 AM
05/31/19 04:02 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
I think you’re right. IMO it’s a common misconception that acoustic pianos have huge dynamic range compared to digital pianos. In my own experience it’s the opposite. Acoustic pianos, upright or grand (well I’ve played only a few concert grands compared to smaller grands), have kind of linear dynamics which is kind of limited in terms of finger force related to sound volume. Maybe they indeed have huge dynamic range but it’s better “mapped” to the keyboard. With Kawai digital pianos it’s been artificially exaggerated for ages and I’ve complained about that a lot. The normal touch is too sensitive and produces loud notes too easily. You can switch to hard touch but then you lose the brighter fortissimo timbres because the fortissimo layers are hard linked to higher velocities. They need to introduce dynamic range control instead, as in software pianos.

Anyway, it’s such a relief to switch to Yamaha digital pianos where all that is spot on.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/31/19 04:04 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854102
05/31/19 04:35 AM
05/31/19 04:35 AM
S
stamkorg Offline
stamkorg  Offline
S

Yes I agree,
Especially the pp or ppp nuance is easier to play on a digital than on an acoustic.
That's why the dynamic range must be reduced on digitals.
For example, I play with Pianoteq and I never set the dynamic range higher than 38-39. This value gives me a realistic sensation. I have read some post from users that set the dynamics to 50 or even more... That gives a better control on the software but it's totally artificial.

So, a good keyboard sensitivity combined with a good dynamic range setting should give the better results and playing experience.

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854107
05/31/19 04:49 AM
05/31/19 04:49 AM
R
RobR Offline
RobR  Offline
R

I agree, especially on uprights. On the C7X which is a grand i often go and play to get my "fix", the dynamic range is much wider, in other words, perfect, but still not as wide as many digitals exaggerate it to be.

That's why i love the Ravenscroft 275 (software) which i think nails 100% the dynamic range on a real grand, better than any library i played, including Garritan CFX and VSL CFX.

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854108
05/31/19 04:51 AM
05/31/19 04:51 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I have a hard time playing pp on a digital. It's quite difficult to get MIDI values lower than around 30.

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: MacMacMac] #2854117
05/31/19 05:52 AM
05/31/19 05:52 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I have a hard time playing pp on a digital. It's quite difficult to get MIDI values lower than around 30.

Aren't you running Bome's MIDI Translator? Can't you just change the MIDI velocity curve to even generate a value of 1 when you are playing the lightest that you can on the keys?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854144
05/31/19 08:25 AM
05/31/19 08:25 AM
U
U3piano Online content
U3piano  Online Content
U

It's an interesting question. I personally believe a digital is easier to sound good on than an acoustic, but that might be because i started out on a digital, and have the most experience with that.

I spoke with another customer at a piano dealer, and i told him the same thing. He told me for him it was the other way around, he was used to playing acoustic.

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2854148
05/31/19 08:36 AM
05/31/19 08:36 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Yes, I use Bomes. But there's a much easier way to accomplish this ... by using the freeware Velocity Curve.
I just wish the piano knew that a very light touch ought to translate to a MIDI value lower than 10, rather than 30 or more! Without outboard fixes.
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Aren't you running Bome's MIDI Translator? Can't you just change the MIDI velocity curve to even generate a value of 1 when you are playing the lightest that you can on the keys?

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854162
05/31/19 09:44 AM
05/31/19 09:44 AM
M
MrKaramba Offline
MrKaramba  Offline
M

If one was not grown on an acoustic, it may be easier to achieve better dynamics. Nevertheless acoustic grand offer much wider dynamics than digital, but it may be hard to achieve if one is not accustomed to.

For a person who was playing only on digital, good acoustic grand is a beast which can be hard to control and get desired effects.

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854171
05/31/19 10:10 AM
05/31/19 10:10 AM
P
Pete14 Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P

I was grown in a spinet. Granted, I required daily watering and just the right amount of sun.

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854174
05/31/19 10:16 AM
05/31/19 10:16 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
Hi,

I had a K300 (ATX2) acoustic for 6 months as a rental. Loved the thing to bits but sadly I am not in a position to purchase it outright at this time.
As a replacement I got a Kawai ES8. The ES8 is lovely - I really enjoy playing it even if I miss the properties of the acoustic.

On thing I've noticed is that I find it I can achieve quite a bit more nuance / control regarding dynamics on the ES8 than I could on the K300.
Is this a known quality of upright acoustics or simply an expressions of my limited experience as a player (been playing for just over a year).
To put it another way - am I cheating and missing out on learning control by playing the "easy" instrument ?

With a bit of luck I will have an acoustic upright in my life again soonish - keeping my fingers crossed on that count.

Cheers

Have you tried a VST with your ES8?
e.g., Pianoteq, Garritan CFX grand, Ivory II, etc?

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Doug M.] #2854177
05/31/19 10:22 AM
05/31/19 10:22 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Hi,

Cheers

Kind regards,

Doug.

He just returned a brand new VPC1 and replaced it with the ES8 because he was underwhelmed by the inability to produce a satisfying result with Pianoteq and Ravenscroft.

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: CyberGene] #2854184
05/31/19 10:55 AM
05/31/19 10:55 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Hi,

Cheers

Kind regards,

Doug.

He just returned a brand new VPC1 and replaced it with the ES8 because he was underwhelmed by the inability to produce a satisfying result with Pianoteq and Ravenscroft.

Would you advise CFX Grand instead?

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854192
05/31/19 11:20 AM
05/31/19 11:20 AM
Danmark
M
Morten Olsson Online content OP
Morten Olsson  Online Content OP
M

Danmark
Oh I’m very happy with how the ES8 performs and plays and I will not be spending any more time with VSTs anytime soon.
It’s just that i was surprised how much easier dynamics are on the ES8 compared to the acoustic upright I had. To be a bit more specific playing Very soft left hand chords was much more challenging on the K300.

Seems my fathers acoustic will not be returned to me after all so I shall continue keeping an eye out for good used deals - however much I enjoy the ES8 an acoustic it ain’t smile

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: stamkorg] #2854202
05/31/19 11:36 AM
05/31/19 11:36 AM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline

Mountain Brook, AL, USA
Originally Posted by stamkorg
Yes I agree,
Especially the pp or ppp nuance is easier to play on a digital than on an acoustic.

Interesting thread . . . i haven’t found this to be true on my Yamaha P515. Has taken a lot of adjustment to get to where i can play softly and still have enough dynamic range.
Played a Steinway model B a couple days ago, and still feel it’s much easier to play softly on an acoustic.

For example, I play with Pianoteq and I never set the dynamic range higher than 38-39. This value gives me a realistic sensation. I have read some post from users that set the dynamics to 50 or even more... That gives a better control on the software but it's totally artificial.

The unrealistic dynamic range control must be the way Pianoteq gets people addicted to their product. laugh

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: stamkorg] #2854205
05/31/19 11:44 AM
05/31/19 11:44 AM

7000 Post Club Member

This is a strong assertion. Pianoteq is trying to accurately model a piano. What leads you to believe that, for example, 100 on Pianoteq is artificial and not like an ffff note would be on the actual acoustical instrument being modeled? Because if the model is inaccurate above 39, then I think this is a huge flaw in Pianoteq.

I believe the Pianoteq engineers, having access to the specific instrument they are creating the model for, tried to create a model that accurately reflected the particular instrument they are modeling whether at a level of 1, 38, 50, or 100. I'd like to hear why you think the model is less accurate above 39, than it is below.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854212
05/31/19 11:56 AM
05/31/19 11:56 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Tyrone what is 1, 38, 50 and 100 on the real grand they are modeling? Where’s the standard specification? smile

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: CyberGene] #2854217
05/31/19 12:07 PM
05/31/19 12:07 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Tyrone what is 1, 38, 50 and 100 on the real grand they are modeling? Where’s the standard specification? smile

I don't know where 38 or 50 is. But I could make an argument that "1" should logically be set to either ppp or pppp on the grand, or about the lowest velocity one can attack the key and have hammer touch a string (barely). I could make a similar argument that 100 should also logically be set to either fff or ffff, or about the highest velocity one can attack the key without breaking the key or breaking the string (1:58 - from a consummate string breaker!).

Don't know about 38 or 50. Haven't thought about those. Linear won't work since all the dynamic levels in between are based on the performance practices of concert musicians past and present. I don't know how to reflect performance practices except to have concert pianists play Pianoteq and give feedback on whether it's right or wrong on its dynamics levels.

On the other hand, I could be off base on those in-between dynamics levels between 1 and 100 as I haven't given it that much thought.

EDIT: OK, I did think of one way one could reverse engineer this. Take a concert recording of a piece with well established "customary" dynamics levels. From this recording, key velocities can be estimated for each of these levels for that particular piano. Then some "approximation" could be done on for the piano being modeled. It wouldn't be very exact since the pianist would certainly adjust their playing for individual pianos, and unless the pianist made the recording on the exact piano being modeled, the best that could be done would be an approximate velocity for each dynamic level on the piano being modeled. (If I thought about this some more, I might have a better idea though.)

Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854223
05/31/19 12:14 PM
05/31/19 12:14 PM
France
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

France
If we are talking of dynamic range, I suppose 1 map 1-127 MIDI levels to mp-mf, 30 : to pp-ff, 60 : ppp-fff, 100 : pppp-ffff or something like this.

It is possible that ffff is extrapoled, then not realistic.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: DP - "too easy" compared to acoustic ? [Re: Morten Olsson] #2854238
05/31/19 01:04 PM
05/31/19 01:04 PM
N
Nordomus Online content
500 Post Club Member
Nordomus  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

127 and 1 should be almost unachievable like they are on grand piano. BTW what is strange is that I can more easily play on acoustic than on digital, I mean ppp wise. So completely other way around some of you say. I was recently playing Novus NV10 and one of the Shigeru Kawais(SK-5 or SK-6) and I definitely could play more quiet on acoustic Kawai.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lang Lang Video - Bach WTC Prelude
by apianostudent. 10/23/19 12:58 PM
Ignore if not a coffee drinker
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/19 11:51 AM
Your best practices for scoring improvs
by Abdol. 10/23/19 10:15 AM
DIY Grand Piano Action recondition and regulation
by TurboMatt. 10/23/19 10:13 AM
Weird old beginner piano songs
by DutchTea. 10/23/19 09:23 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,692
Posts2,882,589
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission