2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by malkin
As with everything, there's a sweet spot of just enough verbal input and just enough contextual support.

Totally agree.

Of course the sweet spot will vary across individuals, because life is not boring and hardly anything is straightforward.

That, and the sweet spot will vary from day to day or week to week in any one individual, too.

Some of you might remember my old signature quote from Oliver Wilde, "All things in moderation, including moderation."

I like that. smile

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Lostinidlewonder
I have some students who love talking a lot and talking about the music/art experiences they have encountered as well as piano playing experiences (their own or others), we do have to watch out not to talk too much because we might not get any work done!

I've had students like this, too, and yes, deciding how much time to give them to talk about their experiences is a balancing act. For purposes of this post, though, I'm thinking about how I as a teacher can avoid excessive talking to my students. I could have worded the thread title more specifically, I realize now. smile

Originally Posted by Lostinidlewonder
if you talk too much you restrict the flow of the lesson and it can get confusing, it also takes time again to "get the ball rolling" as they say.

These are very good points, LiW.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Perhaps think about it this way~

Talking implies that the kind of learning your student is doing is listening.
How about mix it up a bit, use the other senses? Visual and physical/sensory ..
Taste and Smell prob are out.. keke.
Find ways to make it interactive so you are not just relying on your student's ability to listen well.

~piano teacher in training~
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by hello my name is
Perhaps think about it this way~

Talking implies that the kind of learning your student is doing is listening.
How about mix it up a bit, use the other senses? Visual and physical/sensory ..
Taste and Smell prob are out.. keke.
Find ways to make it interactive so you are not just relying on your student's ability to listen well.

These are great tips. Thanks, hello my name is.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I'm not quite sure how you'd use these visual cues. You could give a piece of paper to the student that says, "play the phrase again", but piano is all about listening. I suppose you could have a music stand at the entrance with the tip, "practice five times per week".

I've been known to move a student's finger but it's not generally effective. So what physical sensory things can you really expect. Only that the teacher plays a phrase first, perhaps.

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Candywoman
I'm not quite sure how you'd use these visual cues. You could give a piece of paper to the student that says, "play the phrase again", but piano is all about listening. I suppose you could have a music stand at the entrance with the tip, "practice five times per week".

I've been known to move a student's finger but it's not generally effective. So what physical sensory things can you really expect. Only that the teacher plays a phrase first, perhaps.

Yes, the teacher playing a phrase and the student echoing it is one example. When used sparingly, it can be effective. (OT, I'm not advocating learning much or all of one's music in this way, though. I'm still cleaning up the mess created by the former teacher of a transfer student of mine, a student who learned almost or entirely fully by rote for six years.) frown

One way I like for building visual skills is to have students do copywork. Some theory books (I know Piano Safari is one of them) have copywork exercises.

Copying could also be done as a wordless, interactive activity during lessons. I draw a note on my staff paper, student draws the same note on his/her staff paper. (Or student alternatively responds by placing a magnet on a magnetic staff if doing written work is a challenge.) It can help me as the teacher understand if a student is experiencing visual challenges in interpreting where notes are positioned on the staff.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission