2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Damien PG, Bill McKaig,RPT, CyberGene, cygnusdei, CharlesXX, clothearednincompo, brdwyguy, 14 invisible), 1,337 guests, and 502 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
This guy is Moscow Conservatory student. The girl's parents hired him for private lessons. He says that she plays terrible, uses abusive words and punches her. The guy is under arrest now.
Moscow, April 2019:

Some of his playing:

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 4
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I haven't thrown the first punch for decades but I could make an exception for this mope.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
OMG unbelievable.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
They should show this video at the prison he will be staying in, inmates like to give child abusers special treatment. His playing also is harsh and ugly which fits his personality.

Last edited by Lostinidlewonder; 05/29/19 10:42 PM.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all"
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Lostinidlewonder
They should show this video at the prison he will be staying in, inmates like to give child abusers special treatment. His playing also is harsh and ugly which fits his personality.

Probably his own teacher taught that way, I have talked to people who had Russian teachers that hit them. Not everyone has the patience to teach but it does not make them monsters. The poor guy just needs to rethink his career plans.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo

Probably his own teacher taught that way, I have talked to people who had Russian teachers that hit them. Not everyone has the patience to teach but it does not make them monsters. The poor guy just needs to rethink his career plans.

My wife's teacher did similar - not by hitting though. There was definitely psychological warfare waged in my wife's case along with some physical abuse of a different kind (mashing her finger tips into the keys to reminder her of the finger curvature, trying to slam the fallboard on her fingers, etc.)

I wonder though why her parent's hired him to come teach her? What happened to music schools? Or is it now considered more elite to hire private teachers who come to your home?

Glad the parents filmed their daughter's lessons and reported him!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Many tyrants and dictators of the past adored beatiful music and arts. Human nature is qiute eclectic.

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 05/30/19 08:06 AM.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 4
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I wonder though why her parent's hired him to come teach her? What happened to music schools? Or is it now considered more elite to hire private teachers who come to your home?

Glad the parents filmed their daughter's lessons and reported him!

Well, may be they wanted piano playing to be just a hobby for her.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 4

I don't think this is a normal practice even in Russia given that he is under arrest. You are right not eveyrone has the patience to teach but if you abuse an innocent child like this you are a monster and if anyone disagrees well then I feel quite sorry for their sense of ethics.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all"
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

I don't think this is a normal practice even in Russia given that he is under arrest. You are right not eveyrone has the patience to teach but if you abuse an innocent child like this you are a monster and if anyone disagrees well then I feel quite sorry for their sense of ethics.

Unfortunately, I saw some comments justifying this teacher, like "He really wanted to teach her. Some private teacher just took omey and do almost nothing, while this guy worried very much about results" etc. Terrible.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 4
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
Unfortunately, I saw some comments justifying this teacher, like "He really wanted to teach her. Some private teacher just took omey and do almost nothing, while this guy worried very much about results" etc. Terrible.

Then there are those instead of criticizing the teacher, criticize the parents for leaving their underaged daughter alone with a "sexually mature guy." Sure, but I'm more worried about the beating the daughter is getting right now from the teacher! Priorities!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
This makes me so sad. Unfortunately, it happens here too. I've had more than one adult student who was turned off from music for decades due to abusive music teachers in their youth.

Last edited by Dr. Rogers; 05/30/19 11:18 AM. Reason: Fix typo

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I couldn't get through the video - it's horrifying. My heart goes out to that little girl. I hope this guy gets a harsh sentence for his crime and never teaches anyone again!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I couldn't get through the video - it's horrifying. My heart goes out to that little girl. I hope this guy gets a harsh sentence for his crime and never teaches anyone again!

That`s exactly how I feel about it...

plus: this guy looks like he can`t even count to three.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pinkiepie
Originally Posted by Morodiene

That`s exactly how I feel about it...

My wife thinks that he might be behaving this way because of how he himself was treated as he grew up and perhaps even what his piano teacher did to him. He's also from the Caucusus and might have been raised differently himself than other Russians.

Originally Posted by Pinkiepie
plus: this guy looks like he can`t even count to three.

My wife says that he mostly speaks with an educated register and in a reasonable and educated way but with a raised voice. He obviously sees himself in the educated class and therefore doesn't use expletives and a vulgar register. His hitting the young girl on the back of the head was actually somewhat common in Russia back in the 80's. For example, my wife said that her piano teacher and also her own mother would hit her on the back of the head when she was inattentive or disobedient. Today, we also know that this sort of thing with children can lead to brain injuries (concussions, contusions, etc) or worse, so it's beyond me how people at that time thought this was any sort of acceptable childrearing practice.

Again, this is not trying normalize such vile behavior. It was awful back in the 80's even if it had been accepted in some circles. Good that society as a whole moved on from that, which as pointed out above, is evidenced by him having been arrested - and this video evidence will be enough for him to be prosecuted and sentenced. If this sort of behavior was tolerated once, it is no longer.

[Linked Image]

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

Things change, it's not normal practice anymore in most western countries, but I am old enough to remember a time when punching kids was not considered abuse unless there was actual physical damage and if we go back a couple of more decades it was considered abuse not to raise your kids with proper dicipline (which those days meant physical punishment). So most of us have grandparents or parents that were monsters. And whatever ethics I have it does not include being part of a lynch mob...

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T

Things change, it's not normal practice anymore in most western countries, but I am old enough to remember a time when punching kids was not considered abuse unless there was actual physical damage and if we go back a couple of more decades it was considered abuse not to raise your kids with proper dicipline (which those days meant physical punishment)..

Yes. Culture tends to drive behavior more than we realize. I was in high school during the late 60s, and corporal punishment was not practiced in that state (Wisconsin) but it was in many (Texas, e.g.). Parochial schools did use physical punishment. The nun with a ruler was not a stereotype and the Lutheran schools in my town were pretty quick to hit also. Times have changed.

I could not play the tape of his playing but the still photos show horrible posture - that curved spine and hanging neck are recipes for a long and painful injury. For that alone he should not be allowed to teach.

gotta go practice
P
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[quote=Pinkiepie]
My wife thinks that he might be behaving this way because of how he himself was treated as he grew up and perhaps even what his piano teacher did to him. He's also from the Caucusus and might have been raised differently himself than other Russians.

There are surely reasons for his behaviour.

But as far as he is not a completely idiot (who indeed cant count to three), he should be able to question and control his impulses.
There is a huge difference between wanting to hit somone or actually doing it.

My wife says that he mostly speaks with an educated register and in a reasonable and educated way but with a raised voice. He obviously sees himself in the educated class and therefore doesn't use expletives and a vulgar register. His hitting the young girl on the back of the head was actually somewhat common in Russia back in the 80's.

Oh lord...this guy was probalby born in the (late) 80ies, and even if he was beaten with a stick to play the piano (it looks a little bit like that) this wouldnt give him a free ride to tortur others.

For example, my wife said that her piano teacher and also her own mother would hit her on the back of the head when she was inattentive or disobedient. Today, we also know that this sort of thing with children can lead to brain injuries (concussions, contusions, etc) or worse, so it's beyond me how people at that time thought this was any sort of acceptable childrearing practice.

I know. But times have changed and the "good hiding" from the year dot is not that good anymore... I would be surprised if he had never heard that before.

Again, this is not trying normalize such vile behavior. It was awful back in the 80's even if it had been accepted in some circles. Good that society as a whole moved on from that, which as pointed out above, is evidenced by him having been arrested - and this video evidence will be enough for him to be prosecuted and sentenced. If this sort of behavior was tolerated once, it is no longer.

Yes, I totally agree with this!

And just to be clear, my words didn`t mean to offend you. I am just upset about cruelty and their justifications...

Last edited by Pinkiepie; 05/30/19 04:48 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I went to high school in Australia in the seventies. Due to my bad dyslexia I was considered to be a slow learner. At the end of my first year I came top of the basic maths group, but I got left in the basic group the following year when two other students were transferred up.

The following year I always finished my set work quickly and of course started chatting with my mate next to me. My teacher kept throwing me out of class and often to get the cain.

In winter he would delight in making you stand with your hands on the metal lockers. It was Sydney so never really cold but cold enough to make your hands more sensitive and then give me six of the best. I still came top of my year. I would not wish this on the most obnoxious of teenagers. I was just bored, not aggressive. I got transferred to the higher level the following year. I did physics at University with almost enough maths to get a second major in maths.

I don’t think this was exceptional for the time and I am glad we have mostly moved on. Let us hope it continues.

M
M
I think back to the most frustrating lessons I've ever taught, and one I almost just got up and walked out. Another, I told her that she didn't practice as I told her and that's why she wasn't able to play the piece correctly. In the latter case, the student cried and realized she didn't like piano enough to work at it. In the former case, we figured out why he couldn't play the easiest pieces in the beginning of the primer level, and he's improved drastically.

As an adult, I recognize when my teachers were not good at what they did. I had my 4th grade teacher put my desk in a closet, and of course, no learning could happen. But I did not resort to how I was taught. I saw what that teacher did was wrong, and I certainly would not perpetuate it. This guy obviously didn't learn how to improve upon his own education.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,243
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission