Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
88 registered members (AndrewJCW, ArturC, 36251, amyram, anotherscott, accordeur, andrea monza, 26 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2853545
05/29/19 11:18 AM
05/29/19 11:18 AM
Los Angeles
L
Leon T Offline
Leon T  Offline
L

Los Angeles
Hi everybody,
A full time musician/pianist/arranger/composer here. I've also worked as an accompanist and sometimes still do. I'm Armenian, originally from Iraq. I started my piano lessons early on. When time came to escape the madness, I continued the lessons with Russian teachers in Syria. Eventually, got a bachelor in Piano and Master in Composition from CSUN in Los Angeles. I've been exposed to a wide variety of music and love it all.

Leon

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2853566
05/29/19 12:21 PM
05/29/19 12:21 PM
Essex, UK
W
WTM Offline
WTM  Offline
W

Essex, UK
I am an adult beginner but seeming as I've posted in this sub forum I'll post here too.

I'm Will from Essex, UK. I work for a Silicon Valley company but in the UK. I'm 26 and have been playing the piano for a year. I've always been a listener and admirer or music of all genres but only really knew 'the hits' of classical. Since I've started learning to play piano, classical is pretty much all I listen to now. I'm not bothered about going through the grades (I don't need a certificate to motivate me), but when I'm good enough and my teacher agrees that I am, I will go for grade 8 piano ABRSM and then a diploma. Just coming to the end of learning a Chopin nocturne, just needs polishing now. And I'm currently working on Bach Invention no.8 in F major and Schubert - Impromptu in G flat major. I've never felt more passionate about anything in my life than playing piano. And I wish I started sooner.

Last edited by WTM; 05/29/19 12:21 PM.

Yamaha CLP685
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: One Ohm] #2853727
05/29/19 11:31 PM
05/29/19 11:31 PM
Connecticut/Cincinnati
C
computerpro3 Offline
500 Post Club Member
computerpro3  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Connecticut/Cincinnati
Originally Posted by One Ohm
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

I find it interesting that so far most of the respondents have been techies...like myself! I have a PhD in electrical engineering. Taught myself to play piano when I was about 10 years old from a book called "Smallwood's Pianoforte Tutor". Finally started serious classical piano lessons in 2004 and continued for about 7 years. I'm part of a group of adult amateur pianists that meets once a month in members' homes to play piano and socialize over wine and munchies.

It is interesting how many technical professionals are on the forum. Even during my many years playing in bands, I find it interesting how many engineers, computer scientists, etc., play a music instrument as a hobby. Like you jazzyprof, I'm also hosting a piano performance group. The first group meeting is this Saturday!

I do not have an engineering degree, but lead a team of engineers (electrical, mechanical, software, and machine learning) to create new products in the digital signal processing realm (radar). It is absolutely amazing to me how much playing piano and being a hobbyist audiophile has prepared me for my position. Essentially everything I do on a daily basis I learned from internet forums I joined for my hobbies, and I often use piano keyboard analogies to easily explain things to my customers. I am absolutely astonished how many highly technical concepts I can explain simply with a piano keyboard.

Just a few:

Explaining what aliasing is caused by sampling below the nyquist theorem: If you hear Rachmaninov and Brahms on the piano with a note-perfect performance, you can easily tell the difference between them and it sounds great (no aliasing). If you miss a few notes (aliasing artifacts), you can still tell the difference between them but it's less enjoyable/useful. If you miss so many notes, eventually you won't be able to tell the difference anymore between random noise and the music (signal of interest).

Explaining CW radar vs. frequency modulated radar: it's like the difference between someone playing the same note over and over (CW radar) and someone sweeping their hands back and forth across the whole keyboard quickly and repeatedly

I could go on and on - explaining what different radar "bands" are, etc. So many concepts like A/D conversion, harmonics, fundamentals, sine waves, quantization, S/N ratio, amplitude, etc, I am familiar with because of music and piano. And even with machine learning, my practice methods have helped me intuitively understand the difference between various types of neural networks and think of novel applications for them.

Long story short, the piano is nothing more than a machine that produces an essentially infinite number of sine waves. What is my technical field based on? Sine waves.

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2854481
06/01/19 04:48 AM
06/01/19 04:48 AM
R
Rania Offline
Rania  Offline
R

Originally Posted by Leon T

A full time musician/pianist/arranger/composer here. I've also worked as an accompanist and sometimes still do. I'm Armenian, originally from Iraq. I started my piano lessons early on. When time came to escape the madness, I continued the lessons with Russian teachers in Syria. Eventually, got a bachelor in Piano and Master in Composition from CSUN in Los Angeles. I've been exposed to a wide variety of music and love it all.

Leon

Nice to know there are other people from the region! I'm enjoying listening to some of the work on your channel.
I am from Jordan. I went to university for Pharmacy alongside a degree in music at the local conservatory, and then I got a masters in piano performance in the US. Came back to Jordan for four years and worked as a teacher. I loved my job so much but kept wanting to study more, since my US experience had exposed me to the many gaps in my education, and last October I finally moved to a small town in Germany for a masters in art song accompaniment. Now that I am here, supposedly fulfilling a dream for which I had to fight, I don't want it anymore and no longer know what I want to do with my life. Practicing and performing all the time is no longer enough fulfillment, I hate the way most things are done, and I constantly feel like a hand is squeezing at my throat. Maybe it's just the wrong program, the wrong teacher, or the wrong environment, but there are times when I would rather quit, move to a Lapland forest, and do nothing but hunt stars and northern lights and write down bird melodies.

I would ultimately like to write music, but I'm too afraid to start or I don't know where to start. It's inspiring to see people here in this forum who are doing it.

“Love has to be the starting point – love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love.”
Arthur Schnabel

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: Rania] #2854642
06/01/19 03:10 PM
06/01/19 03:10 PM
Los Angeles
L
Leon T Offline
Leon T  Offline
L

Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Rania

Nice to know there are other people from the region! I'm enjoying listening to some of the work on your channel.
I am from Jordan. I went to university for Pharmacy alongside a degree in music at the local conservatory, and then I got a masters in piano performance in the US. Came back to Jordan for four years and worked as a teacher. I loved my job so much but kept wanting to study more, since my US experience had exposed me to the many gaps in my education, and last October I finally moved to a small town in Germany for a masters in art song accompaniment. Now that I am here, supposedly fulfilling a dream for which I had to fight, I don't want it anymore and no longer know what I want to do with my life. Practicing and performing all the time is no longer enough fulfillment, I hate the way most things are done, and I constantly feel like a hand is squeezing at my throat. Maybe it's just the wrong program, the wrong teacher, or the wrong environment, but there are times when I would rather quit, move to a Lapland forest, and do nothing but hunt stars and northern lights and write down bird melodies.

I would ultimately like to write music, but I'm too afraid to start or I don't know where to start. It's inspiring to see people here in this forum who are doing it.

Nice to hear from you Rania. Did you ever do something with your Pharma degree? Was that more like a plan B type of thing or you were genuinely interested?

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: Pover] #2854693
06/01/19 05:21 PM
06/01/19 05:21 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Pover
It's really nice to get to know everyone else's background. My turn I guess.

I'm 23 years old, in my final year of med school in Jordan (in the middle east). I started learning piano around 6 years ago, after playing the 1st movement of Moonlight sonata on guitar (lol) and figured I'd try it out on the piano since we had one when my sister was playing back then. I'm self-taught; I tried a couple of lessons with a few teachers but none of them worked for me (either wanted to teach jazz, or follow the ABRSM grades religiously, etc). I did have 1 lesson with an amazing teacher and I was blown away and wanted to take more with her, but she's abroad now unfortunately. I remember only playing Beethoven in my first year of piano, and then discovering Chopin and soon enough, I couldn't get enough of music.

Two years ago I started getting involved in music events such as playing with singers or playing background music for hotels or events. I figured it would be a nice way to discover this different aspect of music and expand my horizons. Looking back I feel like I could have used those 2 years far more efficiently had I stuck to learning classical, which I'm back to now. The feeling of being a 'sell-out' and the general lack of love for music where I live were factors that further encouraged my decision to learn and play what I, and only I, feel like playing, regardless of what effect it has on anyone else.

Next year I'm planning on going to the US to do my medical residency there (I was born there), so for the past few months I've been feeling like this is going to be my last serious piano year for some time, and it's been giving me a certain sense of uneasy urgency. This forum has always been a great place to meet people and learn about music in general and share my passion towards it. I even remember posting something very personal a few years ago (about my father's passing) and it opened my eyes to the idea that this is more than just a piano forum.

Anyway, that's a lot about me for now smile

Congrats on your médica degree, Pover! What field are you planning on studying during your residency? Medicine is a rewarding field, but it is tough on you emotionally and the hours can become long. Piano is a good respite from the daily stress. Btw, I too am in medicine.

I began playing piano more or less 5 years ago, with no intention of playing classical music. I wanted to play pop, like Bruce Hornsby or Adele, but as I learned more and more, classical became much more interesting to me and pop became boring. Now I’m committed to classical music and I have been practicing a ton over the last few years. I take lessons at a small, local university right down the street. I started with a grad student, but now I am with a professor. Piano has consumed my free time for the past couple of years. I’m really looking forward to the day when I can sit down and play anything reasonable (eg Chopin Nocturnes and such) from sheet music or at least without weeks to months of practice. Someday.....! For now, I’m enjoying the process.

In other arenas, I have a wife and 2 kids, 16 and 18. The kids listen to hip-hop and rap (gasp). The older one is going to college, beginning this summer. The wife plays tennis competitively in senior leagues - she was a college athlete. We love sports cars and have a labradoodle smile. We’re going to be in Europe for a family vaca late next week; looking forward to it immensely!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: cmb13] #2854706
06/01/19 06:03 PM
06/01/19 06:03 PM
Jordan
P
Pover Offline
Pover  Offline
P

Jordan
Originally Posted by cmb13

Congrats on your médica degree, Pover! What field are you planning on studying during your residency? Medicine is a rewarding field, but it is tough on you emotionally and the hours can become long. Piano is a good respite from the daily stress. Btw, I too am in medicine.

I began playing piano more or less 5 years ago, with no intention of playing classical music. I wanted to play pop, like Bruce Hornsby or Adele, but as I learned more and more, classical became much more interesting to me and pop became boring. Now I’m committed to classical music and I have been practicing a ton over the last few years. I take lessons at a small, local university right down the street. I started with a grad student, but now I am with a professor. Piano has consumed my free time for the past couple of years. I’m really looking forward to the day when I can sit down and play anything reasonable (eg Chopin Nocturnes and such) from sheet music or at least without weeks to months of practice. Someday.....! For now, I’m enjoying the process.

In other arenas, I have a wife and 2 kids, 16 and 18. The kids listen to hip-hop and rap (gasp). The older one is going to college, beginning this summer. The wife plays tennis competitively in senior leagues - she was a college athlete. We love sports cars and have a labradoodle smile. We’re going to be in Europe for a family vaca late next week; looking forward to it immensely!

Hey cmb, nice to meet a fellow doctor smile My goal is advanced endoscopy, so the plan is to get into IM and then get a GI fellowship and work at it from there. I'm still struggling to get electives as an IMG especially since I'm sitting for my USMLE Step 1 on October/November, so I'm trying to look for programs for Jan/Feb 2020 that don't require step 1, and right now this looks like it's gonna be tougher than getting into residency hahaha. I'll shoot you a PM!

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: cmb13] #2854724
06/01/19 07:12 PM
06/01/19 07:12 PM
Pennsylvania
A
Amy C Offline
Amy C  Offline
A

Pennsylvania
cmb13, you mentioned Bruce Hornsby - did you ever get around to learning any? I don't listen to a lot of pop but Harbor Lights is one of my favorite albums - and the song of the same name has some ROCKING piano. One of these days I need to sit down and learn some of his music, once I get through some of the big classical works I've got going right now!

Last edited by Amy C; 06/01/19 07:12 PM.
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2854730
06/01/19 07:39 PM
06/01/19 07:39 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Music has always been at the centre of my life. My father was a gifted musician, even though he rarely played by the time I came along. I'm 53. I studied music in college. I was four years into my PhD in music theory, but I had to drop out. I can still go back and finish it. More recently I did a degree in physics and astronomy. I want to pursue more education in a couple of years. I've been serious about the piano since my twenties, but I've had long breaks, for both health and other reasons, but it's the centre of my life.

In 2015 I bought a 1911 Bechstein grand for next to nothing, and have spent the last four years, on and off, studying the mechanics of the piano, voicing, and regulation. It's nearly finished, and it already has the most wonderful action and tone. It's like we're good friends. I can't imagine how I ever lived without my piano. I still have my father's old upright, but I went digital in 1993.

I currently do film sound editing and mixing, but I have a background in classical music recording. With my work, I can go from weeks without doing much to eighteen hour days for weeks, However, my life tends to be quite laid back, and I always have plenty of time for myself.

This year I had to take two months away from the piano due to illness, but now I'm ready to return. I really miss it. I'm so fortunate that my health is really good now, and I can devote myself more completely to the piano from now on.

I've been composing since I was a child, and want to devote more time to that in the future. I have plans for some compositions that I started working on years ago, but then I got side tracked.

I am extremely interested in languages, especially those that have been reconstructed in the ancient Middle East. Like the piano, this is something that I could never just shake off.

A rather nerdy passion is clocks and watches. The mechanics, especially in a historical context, fascinates me.

I've always dreamt of being a perfumer.

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2854731
06/01/19 07:41 PM
06/01/19 07:41 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Amy, I did play around with The Way It Is for a while. I just never really completed it. It’s funny I get bored of the rock / pop songs before completing them, maybe because they’re not as varied or interesting musically as classical music. Hopefully as I improve I will be able to play songs like this without much effort so maybe then I’ll get back into the genre. Good reason to keep practicing sight reading! I’ve been way more focused on classical technique.

Anyway I have a MuseScore that I made of The Way It Is - a little abbreviated, but I’d be happy to share it.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: Pover] #2854821
06/02/19 05:44 AM
06/02/19 05:44 AM
R
Rania Offline
Rania  Offline
R

Originally Posted by Leon T

Nice to hear from you Rania. Did you ever do something with your Pharma degree? Was that more like a plan B type of thing or you were genuinely interested?

Thank you. It was actually more of a compromise for family and for society- I come from a family of doctors and engineers, and pursuing music, or any field that is not science, was almost unthinkable. I enjoyed many parts of the study as it progressed but knew I didn't want a career in it (although I sometimes do wish I had retained more).
I actually met not a few people from the Higher Conservatory in Damascus who had done the same- dentistry, pharmacy, engineering, literature or other degrees besides their undergraduate study in music. It seems to be a common expectation and a common struggle in our culture, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Pover

Looking back I feel like I could have used those 2 years far more efficiently had I stuck to learning classical, which I'm back to now. The feeling of being a 'sell-out' and the general lack of love for music where I live were factors that further encouraged my decision to learn and play what I, and only I, feel like playing, regardless of what effect it has on anyone else.

Pover, my own conviction is that if one plays what one feels strongly about, then it will have a profound effect on other people, whatever it is. There are people who "sell out" by playing Beethoven and Chopin, because it's not what they really love, and it cheapens the music in my opinion. Deep down, a part of them is bored, would rather go and play Frank Zappa and Tom Waits, and the audience picks up that lack of enthusiasm and they are bored, too. They are bored without knowing it, without daring to admit it. They think it's their fault, that they are simply not good enough to understand classical music. (The performer can smartly choose repertoire that hides this, repertoire where the audience are too busy watching impressive movements, and the reward one receives from admiration can temporarily offset internal boredom, but this, too, is difficult to sustain in the long run). Piazzolla was so embarrassed to confess to Nadia Boulanger, his composition teacher, that he wrote tangos. He kept showing her symphonies and sonatas, and her judgment was always "well-written, but without any Piazzolla in it". "She began to investigate my private life: what I did, what I did and did not play, if I was single, married or living with someone, she was like an FBI agent! And I was very ashamed to tell her I was a tango musician. She kept asking: “You say you are not a pianist. What instrument do you play then?” And I didn’t want to tell her that I was a bandoneón player. Finally, I confessed and she asked me to play some bars of a tango of my own. I told her she shouldn’t expect a good piano player because I wasn’t. She insisted, ”It doesn’t matter, Astor, play your tango.” And I started out with ”Triunfal”. When I finished, Nadia took my hands in hers and with that English of hers, so sweet, she said, ”Astor, this is beautiful. I like it a lot. Here is the true Piazzolla – do not ever leave him.” It was the great revelation of my musical life."

“Love has to be the starting point – love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love.”
Arthur Schnabel

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: Rania] #2854921
06/02/19 02:21 PM
06/02/19 02:21 PM
Jordan
P
Pover Offline
Pover  Offline
P

Jordan
Originally Posted by Rania
Pover, my own conviction is that if one plays what one feels strongly about, then it will have a profound effect on other people, whatever it is. There are people who "sell out" by playing Beethoven and Chopin, because it's not what they really love, and it cheapens the music in my opinion. Deep down, a part of them is bored, would rather go and play Frank Zappa and Tom Waits, and the audience picks up that lack of enthusiasm and they are bored, too. They are bored without knowing it, without daring to admit it. They think it's their fault, that they are simply not good enough to understand classical music. (The performer can smartly choose repertoire that hides this, repertoire where the audience are too busy watching impressive movements, and the reward one receives from admiration can temporarily offset internal boredom, but this, too, is difficult to sustain in the long run).

I've never thought about it this way, actually. This sort of frees me up from the worry about "entertaining" any listeners. I have come to accept that my enthusiasm will usually go to waste when I try to share my passion and explain things to uninterested listeners, usually exemplified through a piece only to watch them make a phone call in the middle of my performance (lol). This sort of stuff led me to relieve myself from all kinds of desires to please people when it comes to my musical tastes, and instead focus on what I like and play for myself, because at the end of the day the only person who's going to listen to my playing is me (and maybe some members of this forum). And it's not like I perform a lot, so I don't have to worry about it from that aspect, either.

However, I'd be lying if I said I never thought of creating a "concert" repertoire and pretend I'm playing an imaginary concert with a complete program, hahaha.

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2854942
06/02/19 03:11 PM
06/02/19 03:11 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Piazzolla - he's amazing! Milonga Del Angel was one of my first more advanced pieces. Great story....love it.

Funny thing is I feel the opposite right now; my family keeps asking why I can't play popular music, stuff they'll know from the radio, but it just doesn't inspire me. I can't fake it so I don't.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: cmb13] #2854984
06/02/19 05:38 PM
06/02/19 05:38 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by cmb13
Piazzolla - he's amazing! Milonga Del Angel was one of my first more advanced pieces. Great story....love it.

Funny thing is I feel the opposite right now; my family keeps asking why I can't play popular music, stuff they'll know from the radio, but it just doesn't inspire me. I can't fake it so I don't.

I don’t have others asking but I thought I should. I could play a decent collection of popular songs as a kid. These are what I remember off the top of my head.

Piano Man
Stairway to Heaven
The Stranger by Billy Joel
Song for Guy
My Sharona by The Knack.
I Don’t like Monday’s by the boomtown rats.

I have bought a few popular pieces with sheet music recently, like Don’t go breaking my Heart by Kiki di and Elton John, I like you just the way you are by Billy Joel and lastly Smells like Teen Spirit, the cover version by Tori Amos. I suspect it is often the quality of the transcription as it is only the last that is engaging me and is the most complex.

All of the others feel like they miss a lot of the original and are simple enough to learn from the sheet music fairly easily and as a result they’ll never get remembered.

The last music store where you could drop in and browse the sheet music in Sheffield closed a couple of years ago.

I had a few of these music shops in Sydney within easy access where I grew up and I don’t remember having trouble finding quality transcriptions.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2855053
06/02/19 10:06 PM
06/02/19 10:06 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
The Tori Amos version of I Don’t Like Mondays is also excellent! I like her - a lot of character. Strange Little Girls was a great album.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2855061
06/02/19 10:39 PM
06/02/19 10:39 PM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Offline
500 Post Club Member
DFSRN  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Virginia
Pianoloverus, thanks for suggesting this! It is nice to know who you are corresponding with.

I played 5 years piano and 10 years violin as a child. My first masters was a MBA, didn't really like that study too much though I use it in my job today. Then I went to get a masters in nursing leadership, then finished a PhD in nursing education at the age of 54, and started piano. I just turned 59. I worked a lot until about a year and a half ago. I taught online classes and work a one night a week job as an staff RN. Now I just work my full-time job and focus on my family and piano hobby. My full time job is for VHA, I am the coordinator for health professional employee scholarships. I also coordinator a residency program for new RNs, and a paid internship program for senior level nursing student nurses.

I used to be a jogger, did a half marathon years ago, years of running created knee issues and surgery, so now I walk 3-5 miles a day instead.

This July starts my 6th year of piano lessons. My teacher plays drums, when he plays at the nursing home I play 1 to 2 songs and he accompanies me. This next year he said we will do piano-euphonium duets. That adds a new dimension to my lessons.

My husband and I like plays, mainly musicals and flea markets.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: KevinM] #2855163
06/03/19 11:45 AM
06/03/19 11:45 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Originally Posted by KevinM

I have bought a few popular pieces with sheet music recently, like Don’t go breaking my Heart by Kiki di and Elton John, I like you just the way you are by Billy Joel and lastly Smells like Teen Spirit, the cover version by Tori Amos. I suspect it is often the quality of the transcription as it is only the last that is engaging me and is the most complex.

My favourite cover of anything is probably Patti Smith's version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. And Marylin Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams are made of this... grin

Last edited by johnstaf; 06/03/19 11:45 AM.
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2855181
06/03/19 12:49 PM
06/03/19 12:49 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK

All of the others feel like they miss a lot of the original and are simple enough to learn from the sheet music fairly easily and as a result they’ll never get remembered.

You need a decent arranger who goes back to the original. 😉

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: pianoloverus] #2855185
06/03/19 12:58 PM
06/03/19 12:58 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
I promised I would come back and post on this thread and I haven't yet, so here goes.

I'm a pianist and violinist but both badly lapsed for 20 plus years. I completed my first year at one of the London music colleges but performance was way too stressful for me so I ended up going and getting a totally different degree. I did win the first year music history prize that year though, and that's an achievement I'm very proud of. I've been playing piano seriously again since January, and I still dabble in violin occasionally but longstanding injuries cause me problems. Of course now I'm kicking myself for all the wasted years, but during that time I was establishing a career and raising a young family.

My day job is totally unrelated to music but is also deeply unsatisfying to me for many reasons so I am mulling over my options and in the meantime I'm getting back into music in any way I can. Currently that is private practising, teaching my son bits and pieces (he doesn't want to learn formally) and I've now started arranging sheet music (which I see has been mentioned a fair bit on this thread ;-) ). At least, I've arranged music for years to play myself, but I've now started selling my arrangements through an online publisher.

I'm looking into qualifications that I can take to refresh my skills so that I can hopefully expand my music into something properly part time, most likely teaching, and reduce my hours in my current job, but that's a long term project!

Last edited by ShyPianist; 06/03/19 01:00 PM.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: OT, tell us about yourself [Re: Rania] #2855210
06/03/19 02:27 PM
06/03/19 02:27 PM
Los Angeles
L
Leon T Offline
Leon T  Offline
L

Los Angeles
[quote=Rania] It seems to be a common expectation and a common struggle in our culture, isn't it?

[quote=Pover]

It is and I totally understand the situation. I was able to fight it because I left the region as young as 15. It's way easier to make such decisions in the West.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,172
Members94,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission