Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Alston9981, Animisha, 5150917069, Andrew_G, 5penguins, amad23, Ankee, AndrewJCW, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
The inevitability of learning wrong(?) #2853406
05/29/19 06:07 AM
05/29/19 06:07 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
As a beginner, I cannot see how I could avoid learning wrong. When learning a new piece, I cannot see how it would be possible to play it immediately correctly, both notes, rhythm, technique and dynamics, even if I would play at a very slow tempo. So I don't even try, but I start with the notes. I try to also take the length of notes into account, but if I need two seconds each for four eighth notes, I am not going to sit and wait for eight seconds with my finger on the key for the half note. When I more or less can play the notes, I try to integrate rhythm. Only when I can do this, more or less (still making mistakes though), I can start to think about technique.

So when learning a new piece, I do a lot of repetitions with the wrong rhythm, wrong technique and wrong dynamics, before I am able to play the whole piece more or less correctly - and then usually, way too slow.
I think this is unavoidable for beginners. Or am I mistaken?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853412
05/29/19 06:26 AM
05/29/19 06:26 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Disclaimer: Not a piano teacher.

I think what you describe is correct that the first initial steps with a new piece are like this. But that you need to be fully aware that repeating too often incorrect rhythm and dynamics is going to be hard to unlearn. So you need to transition as quickly as possible to playing correctly and slowly. You also might limit your practise so your teacher can point out clearly where you are going wrong before what you've learnt has become ingrained.

This is my pragmatic approach, or at least I think it is pragmatic.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: KevinM] #2853426
05/29/19 07:11 AM
05/29/19 07:11 AM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
Originally Posted by KevinM
Disclaimer:
I think what you describe is correct that the first initial steps with a new piece are like this. But that you need to be fully aware that repeating too often incorrect rhythm and dynamics is going to be hard to unlearn. .

This is an external, superficial interpretation of what is happening, although, yes - mistakes must occur. In the first stage of work on something that requires a set of new skills, a system of work is needed that aims only at one goal: only the right rhythm, only the right notes, only the right fingering; and what is inextricably linked with this - only the right movements; etc. Consider that while working to achieve most of the goals, it is necessary to initially neglect the correct rhythm; therefore, the study of rhythm is necessary in the initial stage; and if it is a song, you first need to learn the text, which largely determines the rhythm of the melody.
The task of the teacher: to organize your work and show how to work independently. Tutorials and videos in this area are helpless ...

Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853431
05/29/19 07:29 AM
05/29/19 07:29 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
I would hope that you are slightly exaggerating what happens unless you are trying to play something beyond your capabilities. Did you not have a video session with our esteemed Vladimir? How did that go?

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853436
05/29/19 07:50 AM
05/29/19 07:50 AM
India
N
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

India
One thing I have found useful to address this specific issue is to try and read the music and try and imagine what it would sound like before actually playing. It was very hard for me initially, but it has become easier over time.
You don't need to actually get all of it right. You can imagine the same pitch with the correct rhythm, or the correct relative pitch differences without correct rhythm. These small exercises have helped me a great deal. A lot more than I thought they would. This is a lot easier to do with pieces below your level while starting out. You can also try singing/humming if imagining is hard.

Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853443
05/29/19 08:03 AM
05/29/19 08:03 AM
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

Animisha, I think your method is not the most efficient way to go about it. The reason is that you have to re-learn the piece several times several different ways before you finally learn it with all its details included. Please watch this video by Artur Pizarro. It’s long but worth the investment of your time.

Last edited by John305; 05/29/19 08:06 AM.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Nahum] #2853453
05/29/19 08:36 AM
05/29/19 08:36 AM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
But that you need to be fully aware that repeating too often incorrect rhythm and dynamics is going to be hard to unlearn.

Kevin, this is not my experience. But I realise now that when I am fully focused on learning the correct notes, there hardly is any rhythm to speak of. In that way it is different from learning an erroneous rhythm. Also when it comes to dynamics, I hardly ever have a problem unlearning this.

You also might limit your practise so your teacher can point out clearly where you are going wrong before what you've learnt has become ingrained.

Yes, once I got the notes plus rhythm down, I start watching the videos from my teacher.

Originally Posted by Colin Miles
I would hope that you are slightly exaggerating what happens unless you are trying to play something beyond your capabilities.

No, not exaggerating, and also really not playing beyond my capabilities. But the phase with only notes and hardly any rhythm doesn't last very long. But then, even when I have started with some rhythm, my first priority is getting the notes right, so I can have a long break just to make sure I play the next note correctly.

Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Did you not have a video session with our esteemed Vladimir? How did that go?

You have very good memory! He sent me feedback to my video, but unfortunately just then too many things happened in my life and I could not continue our contact.

Originally Posted by Nahum
The task of the teacher: to organize your work and show how to work independently. Tutorials and videos in this area are helpless ...

I respectfully disagree. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853491
05/29/19 09:53 AM
05/29/19 09:53 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
If you are not able to do rhythms and correct pitches with some accuracy at a VERY slow tempo, then it's quite possible these pieces are too hard for you. While I like what Pizarro says, he is talking about pianists at advanced levels. I think it can apply to intermediate levels as well since there is more hands together work. But a beginner will spend a lot of time doing pieces that don't contain a lot of simultaneous hands and thus playing hands separately isn't necessary.

I don't know your level, but I think that if you are doing repertoire that contains simultaneous hands, then starting hands separately and adding everything in there is a really good way to go about it. Just remember: when you put hands together, you will have to slow waaaay down or you will start dropping details.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853521
05/29/19 10:33 AM
05/29/19 10:33 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
Animisha,
I don’t know if it’s similar for you, but for me the rhythm or tension problems in the beginning, are mostly hand independence related. Had to alter my practicing a bit. Now, I don’t practice something for a long time in the beginning phase of learning a piece. Just a few repetitions section wise, spread across multiple sessions. I work on several pieces at a time, so I don’t get restless anymore. Within a couple days and sleep cycles, the co-ordination improves for the section giving me trouble, and then I’m better able to concentrate on whatever’s required. At this point, and if it's a lesson piece, I try to spend more time on it.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853533
05/29/19 10:54 AM
05/29/19 10:54 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
I forgot to add this. I find it helpful to count from the very beginning, even if there are pauses, hesitations, etc. If the counting gets automatic, I find it much easier to maintain the rhythm later on, even without counting. I also do HS work, if the piece is tough for me. Don't know whether this has any basis in reality, or I've misinterpreted it. smile

I don't like to check with the metronome until much later. Though, I used it extensively in the first few months.

Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853546
05/29/19 11:19 AM
05/29/19 11:19 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
One should make a serious attempt to play the notes and rhythm as accurately as possible from the beginning. Basic rhythm should be ingrained and not pose a problem while learning the notes. If the rhythm is complex(relative to whatever skill level one has)than one should stop and figure out the rhythm for that phrase. If one has continually stop to figure out the rhythm than I think the piece is too advanced for one's level.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/29/19 11:28 AM.
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853560
05/29/19 12:05 PM
05/29/19 12:05 PM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
The way that I learn a new piece is to split it into phrases, and then play each phrase very, VERY slowly, concentrating initially on getting the note pitch and duration right. Once I can play the notes I gradually speed it up. I do that for each phrase separately and only when I can play each separately at a reasonable speed do I put them together to form the complete piece. Dynamics come last for me.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853564
05/29/19 12:19 PM
05/29/19 12:19 PM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
Originally Posted by Animisha
[I respectfully disagree. smile
This you say as an educator in both areas?

Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Nahum] #2853567
05/29/19 12:26 PM
05/29/19 12:26 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL

As a teacher, I also disagree that videos and tutorials are useless. Some are, but some are very helpful, like the one posted in this thread.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853582
05/29/19 01:09 PM
05/29/19 01:09 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
I agree that getting everything right from the get-go is just not going to happen for most of us, but a big mistake I made when I started out (self-teaching) was getting the notes down but not paying enough attention, early on, to rhythm and counting. I've had to spend a lot of time and energy fixing my rhythm/counting issues and it's still a struggle at times.

Nowadays, the first thing I do with a new piece is write in the counts (in pencil, so I can erase it later) for the first however many measures and for tricky ones. Then I count either out loud or in my head constantly. If you stood next to me while I practiced you'd hear me counting under my breath (actually more like singing) as I play. Adding in dynamics, pedaling, and interpretation layer-wise after that doesn't seem to present a problem. But it's the notes and the rhythm (count) that everything else is built on.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853583
05/29/19 01:10 PM
05/29/19 01:10 PM
I
Ido Offline
Ido  Offline
I

Animisha,

After observing several teachers do this, I would advise you to hum the rhythm before you start playing. This is the pulse of the music, and you can get the feeling for the piece by doing just that. What I do is hum the rhythm, while also gradually taking phrasing and dynamics into account - and then I try to get some sense of the pitches - phrase by phrase. Try to understand the general line of the piece. The ups and downs.
Only then I would start playing. I found out it really speeded up the process.

Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Tech-key] #2853588
05/29/19 01:19 PM
05/29/19 01:19 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline

Progman  Offline

P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by Tech-key
I forgot to add this. I find it helpful to count from the very beginning, even if there are pauses, hesitations, etc. If the counting gets automatic, I find it much easier to maintain the rhythm later on, even without counting. I also do HS work, if the piece is tough for me. Don't know whether this has any basis in reality, or I've misinterpreted it. smile

I don't like to check with the metronome until much later. Though, I used it extensively in the first few months.

I do what Tech-key does - start counting from the first practice session on a new piece and HS. I include pedal with bass cleft HS. I make an effort to get the dynamics in place HS as speed comes up. Then when I put HT it all slows down but speed comes along with practice. I am learning to do this a phrase or line at a time (or even just a tricky measure).

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Tech-key] #2853593
05/29/19 01:42 PM
05/29/19 01:42 PM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Thank you all for your answers!

Originally Posted by Tech-key
I find it helpful to count from the very beginning,

Originally Posted by Stubbie
If you stood next to me while I practiced you'd hear me counting under my breath (actually more like singing) as I play.

I simply cannot count in the earliest stages of practising. It's just that my whole focus is on playing correct notes with the correct fingers. It must be a lack of my capacity for multitasking. smile
But I will try to see if I can "hear" some of the rhythm before playing the first notes. I always start hands separately, but even then I sometimes need to play with a metronome to hear how I should count. And yes, once I switch to playing hands together, all rhythm usually is gone again.

Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Animisha] #2853600
05/29/19 02:13 PM
05/29/19 02:13 PM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
But I will try to see if I can "hear" some of the rhythm before playing the first notes.
People can do that?! Is it possible to get this power? frown laugh

Animisha, I don't like multitasking either. I've started doing some rhythm drills, where I play both hands with just one finger. Just one key, per hand. One finger, per hand. And with counting. Any random piece from any book, as fast as I can (which is not very fast ATM!). I've only been doing this everyday, for less than a week. Doing this as part of the sight reading drills. Will let you know, if I stick with this, and feel that it actually helped with anything.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: The inevitability of learning wrong(?) [Re: Morodiene] #2853603
05/29/19 02:30 PM
05/29/19 02:30 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Morodiene

As a teacher, I also disagree that videos and tutorials are useless. Some are, but some are very helpful, like the one posted in this thread.

I join Morodiene and Animisha in that. I have worked using various resources. It is the quality of the resource, and the manner of working, which count. By "resource" of an on-line type I am including the interaction that one may have with the teacher, in whatever fashion.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland DP10 pedal - is it actually 'continuous'?
by AlphaBravoCharlie. 10/17/19 06:07 AM
Passacaglia, Spain musical
by Alston9981. 10/17/19 04:14 AM
Piece for piano beginner
by Alston9981. 10/17/19 04:03 AM
Keyboard issues on Kawai CA98
by Spannah. 10/17/19 03:39 AM
Rhodes info
by Ed McMorrow, RPT. 10/16/19 09:52 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,566
Posts2,880,024
Members94,688
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission