Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (ArturC, anotherscott, Beowulf, Bruce In Philly, Animisha, astrotoy, AWilley, 32 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pro tip [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2853318
05/28/19 10:24 PM
05/28/19 10:24 PM
Maine
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Maine
Tyrone Slothrop, when I was in college and graduate school, I wore contacts for several years. It was nice to experience not wearing glasses. The best thing was being able to look up into a snowstorm and see the flakes coming down. Eventually I got tired of fussing with cleaning them (they were traditional soft lenses). So I stopped.

I’ve always been leary about extended-wear lenses, though, so even though I know there are new options, I’m not itching to go back. Even if it would reduce my collection of computer/piano/flute glasses to zero :-) .

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Pro tip [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2853320
05/28/19 10:25 PM
05/28/19 10:25 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
...multifocal contact lenses?

Yes. And my current script is working out well.
In the past I've had varying results.

Since good vision was the norm for most of my life, I still think contacts are kind of a nuisance, but juggling between bifocals and 2 different strengths of readers is a way bigger nuisance.

I was bummed when I did a trial of several brands of daily disposables last year and couldn't get adequate correction.

Learner
Re: Pro tip [Re: malkin] #2853323
05/28/19 10:35 PM
05/28/19 10:35 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by malkin
...multifocal contact lenses?

Yes. And my current script is working out well.

Good for you!

I just feel like I should be a proselytizer about multi-focal contacts. As you and I know, if one doesn't have severe astigmatism, they work great and it certainly beats having to have 2-4 different pairs of glasses.

I doubt multiple pairs of glasses would even work for me, logistically speaking. I'd lose one or more of the pairs in the first two weeks!

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853364
05/29/19 01:25 AM
05/29/19 01:25 AM
Maine
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Maine
It’s interesting how different we are. I’ve worn glasses since I was seven, I’m ecstatic that I adjusted to my bifocals so quickly, and the icing on the cake is that I can get specialized glasses for my specialized glasses needs.

When I was in seventh grade I did a school report on the eye, especially nearsightedness and farsightedness. I found out that people in different professions sometimes have specialty needs for their glasses, with non-standard types of prescriptions or arrangements of multiple prescriptions in one pair, besides just the normal bifocal.

I think I’ve been waiting my whole life to get to have specialty glasses like I learned about then, and my computer/piano/flute glasses scratch that itch nicely :-).

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853368
05/29/19 01:52 AM
05/29/19 01:52 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
I work 3 days a month doing IT work for a laser eye company. This is my only employment which I do for fun rather than for the money (I am 68 and otherwise retired). I had my eyes laser treated three years ago (having not warn glasses until age 40 when my eyesight deteriorated and I had to wear progressively stronger glasses until about age 60 when the prescription stabilized and I had varifocals lenses). With presbyopia it was not possible to perfectly fix my eyes, but I had what is called monovision (each eye has a slightly different treatment) to give me a range from infinity to about 2 feet. I still needed reading glasses for close work.

In the past three years my eyes have started to change a bit more, and I now need reading glasses for my computer work and playing the piano. The good news is that I can buy the multipack cheap reading glasses from Amazon, and I now have about 20 pairs at strategic places around the house and in various bags I use for wallet, or laptop, or just simple notebook for working. About 6 months ago they did another eye test on me and recommended some driving glasses with a low prescription and a slight difference in the axis. These are the only glasses I had to buy but I refused all options for different coatings and the end they cost about £60. They live in the car - but I also wear them into the supermarket when we do our weekly shop so I can read the labels.

Re: Pro tip [Re: akc42] #2853404
05/29/19 05:34 AM
05/29/19 05:34 AM

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by akc42
I work 3 days a month doing IT work for a laser eye company. This is my only employment which I do for fun rather than for the money (I am 68 and otherwise retired). I had my eyes laser treated three years ago (having not warn glasses until age 40 when my eyesight deteriorated and I had to wear progressively stronger glasses until about age 60 when the prescription stabilized and I had varifocals lenses). With presbyopia it was not possible to perfectly fix my eyes, but I had what is called monovision (each eye has a slightly different treatment) to give me a range from infinity to about 2 feet. I still needed reading glasses for close work.

In the past three years my eyes have started to change a bit more, and I now need reading glasses for my computer work and playing the piano. The good news is that I can buy the multipack cheap reading glasses from Amazon, and I now have about 20 pairs at strategic places around the house and in various bags I use for wallet, or laptop, or just simple notebook for working. About 6 months ago they did another eye test on me and recommended some driving glasses with a low prescription and a slight difference in the axis. These are the only glasses I had to buy but I refused all options for different coatings and the end they cost about £60. They live in the car - but I also wear them into the supermarket when we do our weekly shop so I can read the labels.

I am glad this works for you, but having so many pairs of glasses would be my nightmare. I can't imagine how I would do it. Ugh...

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853454
05/29/19 08:36 AM
05/29/19 08:36 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
1000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
1000 Post Club Member

Dublin
I'm a new glasses wearer. I have reading glasses and distance glasses. I can't use my peripheral vision effectilvely at the piano, as different parts of the keyboard seem like they're different distances away. I can still manage fine with no glasses, but I might consider contacts when the time comes.

Re: Pro tip [Re: johnstaf] #2853456
05/29/19 08:39 AM
05/29/19 08:39 AM

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by johnstaf
I'm a new glasses wearer. I have reading glasses and distance glasses. I can't use my peripheral vision effectilvely at the piano, as different parts of the keyboard seem like they're different distances away. I can still manage fine with no glasses, but I might consider contacts when the time comes.

With multifocal contacts, adjustment is below the level of your notice. Your brain just directs your eyes semi-automatically. I might have had issues the first 24 hours I ever used multi-focal contacts, but that was already ages ago.

Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853459
05/29/19 08:46 AM
05/29/19 08:46 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
I already wear glasses, and can't do anything without them. I dread the day I have to switch to bifocals like my father, or separate glasses for near and far. (Contacts are not an option for me, unfortunately.) I hate the thought of getting older, but I guess it's better than the alternative.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Pro tip [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2853460
05/29/19 08:47 AM
05/29/19 08:47 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
1000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
1000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Originally Posted by johnstaf

With multifocal contacts, adjustment is below the level of your notice. Your brain just directs your eyes semi-automatically. I might have had issues the first 24 hours I ever used multi-focal contacts, but that was already ages ago.

Thanks Tyrone. I'll look into that!

Re: Pro tip [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2853468
05/29/19 09:01 AM
05/29/19 09:01 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content OP
KevinM  Online Content OP
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
I already wear glasses, and can't do anything without them. I dread the day I have to switch to bifocals like my father, or separate glasses for near and far. (Contacts are not an option for me, unfortunately.) I hate the thought of getting older, but I guess it's better than the alternative.

I've done the usual going long sighted thing as I've got older but that is layered on top of astigmatism.

I find vari-focals work well for most situations. I should have a reading glasses prescription in the lower part but I have the same prescription as my computer glasses and I can drive with them, do most things around the house, read most of what I need to. The things I can't do is play any sport, read small print like on my medication and then it is awkward to use them on my computer or playing a piano. Sport like table tennis is a disaster, much better actually using my computer glasses, even if the ball and person at the other end is blurry the ball comes into focus when near me but its behaviour is predictable. But the vari-focals make its path unpredictable and I just miss the ball completely.

Learning Mendelssohn Song without Words Op. 19 No. 2, Schumann Bunte Blätter Stücklein Op. 99 No. 1. Jensen Sehnsucht Op. 8 No. 5. Schumann Kinderszenen Op15 No1, Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen.
Digital piano: Casio Celviano AP-470. Headphones: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853476
05/29/19 09:15 AM
05/29/19 09:15 AM

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by KevinM
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers

I've done the usual going long sighted thing as I've got older but that is layered on top of astigmatism.

I find vari-focals work well for most situations. I should have a reading glasses prescription in the lower part but I have the same prescription as my computer glasses and I can drive with them, do most things around the house, read most of what I need to. The things I can't do is play any sport, read small print like on my medication and then it is awkward to use them on my computer or playing a piano. Sport like table tennis is a disaster, much better actually using my computer glasses, even if the ball and person at the other end is blurry the ball comes into focus when near me but its behaviour is predictable. But the vari-focals make its path unpredictable and I just miss the ball completely.

If like WeakLeftHand, you have strong astigmatism, then multifocal contacts won't obviate the need for glasses at altogether, as it does for me, since I only have weak astigmatism. But in my case, I can play any sport at any distance since my brain automatically adjusts my vision to look through the appropriate part of the contact lenses most suitable for the distance that I'm looking. For me, it's better than when I was young, as when I was a kid, I needed glasses and would refuse to wear them since I thought they made me even more geeky than I already was. Now I can see things I couldn't when I was a kid. And playing beach volleyball has not been a problem.

Re: Pro tip [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2853484
05/29/19 09:37 AM
05/29/19 09:37 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

If like WeakLeftHand, you have strong astigmatism, then multifocal contacts won't obviate the need for glasses at altogether, as it does for me, since I only have weak astigmatism. But in my case, I can play any sport at any distance since my brain automatically adjusts my vision to look through the appropriate part of the contact lenses most suitable for the distance that I'm looking. For me, it's better than when I was young, as when I was a kid, I needed glasses and would refuse to wear them since I thought they made me even more geeky than I already was. Now I can see things I couldn't when I was a kid. And playing beach volleyball has not been a problem.

To clarify, I don't think I have "strong" astigmatism, just enough to put me over the edge of "I need to correct for it now". This new prescription to correct for astigmatism was given to me last month. Previous to that, we didn't correct for it. It was previously cylinder (CYL) -0.5 in both eyes, now it's -0.75. That little jump put me over the edge of needing to correct for it. I don't think that's considered "strong", although I really have no idea. smile

Re: Pro tip [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2853490
05/29/19 09:53 AM
05/29/19 09:53 AM

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
To clarify, I don't think I have "strong" astigmatism, just enough to put me over the edge of "I need to correct for it now". This new prescription to correct for astigmatism was given to me last month. Previous to that, we didn't correct for it. It was previously cylinder (CYL) -0.5 in both eyes, now it's -0.75. That little jump put me over the edge of needing to correct for it. I don't think that's considered "strong", although I really have no idea. smile

That's odd. My astigmatism is a bit strong than yours, then. I gave up correcting for it when I went to multifocals. What happens when you don't correct for it and just use normal multifocals? There are certain distances where you just can't see and need glasses? For me, it's not sharp, but I can see well enough to not need glasses. (It will never be sharp unless I can correct the astigmatism, but I just live with it.)

Re: Pro tip [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2853523
05/29/19 10:36 AM
05/29/19 10:36 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

That's odd. My astigmatism is a bit strong than yours, then. I gave up correcting for it when I went to multifocals. What happens when you don't correct for it and just use normal multifocals? There are certain distances where you just can't see and need glasses? For me, it's not sharp, but I can see well enough to not need glasses. (It will never be sharp unless I can correct the astigmatism, but I just live with it.)

The biggest problem is that I cannot drive because I cannot read road signs properly. A big STOP sign I have no problem with, but it's the street name signs, or other instruction signs that I have a problem with.

So currently, I use multifocals in a monovision configuration. The left eye is corrected best for far vision, and the right eye is corrected best for near vision. I have found this configuration offers me the best for near and far, but the very near and very far are still not clear enough.

I think to get perfection for me, I'd have to have a pair of contacts strictly for myopia and astigmatism, and then get one or more pairs of straight reading glasses on top, as I need them, but my optometrist is not very fond of that configuration, because he says I'm too young to let people know I need reading glasses. Hahaha, he's more vain than I am! But yeah, needing reading glasses kind of puts you into the "old age" category. But it is what it is.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/29/19 10:37 AM.
Re: Pro tip [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2853528
05/29/19 10:45 AM
05/29/19 10:45 AM

5000 Post Club Member

So currently, I use multifocals in a monovision configuration. The left eye is corrected best for far vision, and the right eye is corrected best for near vision. I have found this configuration offers me the best for near and far, but the very near and very far is still not clear enough.

Oh. I get it. Now that is very interesting. I didn't even know such a monovision configuration was possible. My multifocal contact lenses each correct for both presbyopia and myopia, but not astigmatism, for each eye. So my corrected vision is the same for each eye, with the exception of astigmatism (my astigmatism is different in each eye). The corrected result for each eye is that I have close to 20/20 in each eye, regardless of distance, with the exception of some blurriness from the astigmatism - more in one eye than the other.

Now, if I were to have lasik surgery, I know I would have to get monovision correction like you have, but with contacts, I can just have each lens correct for both presbyopia and myopia. I've been hesitant to get lasik only because I have a cousin who had monovision correction and never adjusted to it and had to get a second procedure done.

Re: Pro tip [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2853537
05/29/19 11:00 AM
05/29/19 11:00 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

So currently, I use multifocals in a monovision configuration. The left eye is corrected best for far vision, and the right eye is corrected best for near vision. I have found this configuration offers me the best for near and far, but the very near and very far is still not clear enough.

Oh. I get it. Now that is very interesting. I didn't even know such a monovision configuration was possible. My multifocal contact lenses each correct for both presbyopia and myopia, but not astigmatism, for each eye. So my corrected vision is the same for each eye, with the exception of astigmatism (my astigmatism is different in each eye). The corrected result for each eye is that I have close to 20/20 in each eye, regardless of distance, with the exception of some blurriness from the astigmatism - more in one eye than the other.

Now, if I were to have lasik surgery, I know I would have to get monovision correction like you have, but with contacts, I can just have each lens correct for both presbyopia and myopia. I've been hesitant to get lasik only because I have a cousin who had monovision correction and never adjusted to it and had to get a second procedure done.

Yeah, multifocals and monovision are weird things. They don't work the same for everyone. I started with multifocals without monovision like you, and that didn't work for me. So my optometrist suggested monovision. But he also says that different multifocal lenses work differently, so while one brand might work for a person, another might not.

I, too, haven't gotten lasik because I'm afraid of its permanence, especially if it turns out not working like your cousin!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/29/19 11:01 AM.
Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853548
05/29/19 11:28 AM
05/29/19 11:28 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
I too have several glasses that work with both piano and pc. But I need much stronger glasses to watch tv or outside (if I want to see any texts further away). Recently I have noticed I cannot read very small text anymore with my right eye, so I would need reading glasses for that one. The left one is fine with small things, just cannot see further away. So cannot buy a pair of cheap reading glasses...unless I completely remove the other lense smile

Even with my piano glasses I need very good lighting. I have never found contacts that are not uncomfortable, so gave up. Probably the best since my eyes are also very dry (like a sahara desert as my optician says)...

Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853576
05/29/19 12:48 PM
05/29/19 12:48 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I wore monovision contacts for years, right eye far, left eye near. My other hobby is orienteering, which is not well known in the states but is in Scandinavia - running through the woods with a map and a compass. So I used one eye to read the map and one eye to see where I was going...

Did not work well for piano though.

Sam

Re: Pro tip [Re: KevinM] #2853587
05/29/19 01:18 PM
05/29/19 01:18 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

I believe that once you are past fifty, you need an extra pair of reading glasses for each decade you age for all the things you want to do.

So, you need one for general reading, one for your laptop, one for your desk computer, one for upright, one for grand, two for watching inflight movies (depending on whether your - or the seat in front - is inclined).

So, I am about 120 years old.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning scales
by Steve-22. 07/21/19 03:28 PM
Recommendations for me a digital audio mixer?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 07/21/19 03:05 PM
Motivation for adult beginners
by Tom97. 07/21/19 02:43 PM
Help me to choose a compact mixer please.
by Daniel_m. 07/21/19 01:18 PM
Which VST is best to buy NOW?
by Chordo24. 07/21/19 01:03 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,102
Posts2,850,337
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission