2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Being extremely new here, I have learned that I am not alone in my pursuits....

[Linked Image]
The best tip I recently learned of is a post mentioning the Taubman technique. I watched a few videos because I wondered if my piano playing was aggravating on old impact injury to my right hand pinky (5). After a weekend of extend practice time, the pinky joint would remain inflamed and made typing on the computer keyboard or using the mouse at work a struggle. So much so that I had began to wear a finger splint at work.

I'm seeing much improvement now. I didn't need the finger splint this week. I'm taking a break from a 2 hour practice this morning and the resulting inflammation is about 50% less than what it might have been 2 weeks ago.

Many thanks to the sharing & thoughtful community here at Piano World! 😀

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That my best chance of success is building a solid foundation without regard for how long it takes.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I have learned so much on Piano world including, technique suggestions, pieces I have now studied because I like them so much, but more than anything else the following post from "twocats," turned out absolutely amazing after my technician raised the pitch on my piano from A440 to A443. Not only do I love how it sounds, but it seems to hold it's tune better than before. My technician was here today and was amazed how close to pitch it stayed even though the seasonal change to summer.

Thank you again Twocats!

Steve

Bösendorfer 170

P.S. If you don't use an umlaut above the o, the correct spelling would be Boesendorfer.

twocats Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
T
Portland, OR
I had mentioned trying out a higher pitch in the thread about my piano. It's been 8 months now, and changing the tuning to A443 has made an enormous difference. Now every time I sit down I'm amazed at how sweet my piano sounds smile

I wanted to share in case other owners of European pianos want to try the higher tuning. You'll risk of decreasing the tuning stability if you want it set back later, but I told my tech that I'm staying at A443!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bosendorfer 225 (meow!) 🐱

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 06/07/18 07:46 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
P
P
Originally Posted by findingnemo2010
The best thing I have learned is to get a teacher.

Lot's of fantastic info here but for this New-bie 'get a teacher' adds such a fabulous dimension.

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
H
H
As a guitarist for 60 years switching to piano at age 72 , I believe it is all of you who play piano that enjoy a greater sense of peace and humility than many of my guitar friends. No one on this forum seems to want to be worshipped or adored.Not so in the guitar world. There are a few that understand,but most guitar people are very competitive and do not get the 3 rings of musicians:
People who play an instrument, instrument players, and instrumentalists. There is a difference.
At my age I would be very happy to play a piano. On guitar, I am a guitar player. Unfortunately guitarists, pianists,the masters,etc.rarely become rich and famous. Kudos to those masters that have done it all. Soooo, the most I get from the forums is a “feel” that it’s ok to extract your joy from music and especially piano.

H
H
Patience, going very slow, piano teachers are often time grumpy, pedal use, and a lot of valuable info for shopping pianos. As a guitarist for 62 years I knew nothing about piano when I started playing, studying and practicing and PW really helped me w the definitions and expectations.
Nearly 74. Goal is to play one set of jazz standards for my 75th birthday.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I have learned that the stuff im proud to be playing so far is considered simplistic and repetitive. smile

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
T
Originally Posted by U3piano
I have learned that the stuff im proud to be playing so far is considered simplistic and repetitive. smile

ANY of us, if we compare ourselves to others, can look like we are playing repetitive and simple music😊 .. you can even find a five year old on YouTube doing the same, or better.

My advice; don’t compare. We will always get THERE at our own pace and time (wherever THERE is). Celebrate what you can do 🎹🎹🎹 which is make music with your own two hands. That is priceless, no matter the level

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
T

ANY of us, if we compare ourselves to others, can look like we are playing repetitive and simple music😊 .. you can even find a five year old on YouTube doing the same, or better.

My advice; don’t compare. We will always get THERE at our own pace and time (wherever THERE is). Celebrate what you can do 🎹🎹🎹 which is make music with your own two hands. That is priceless, no matter the level

Well said and spot on!

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

You must be talking about stuff by Einaudi, Yiruma, Tiersen, Mansell, Krug, etc! wink

OK, I'm joking here. Some of our most loved members here are big fans of some of these artists. smile Play their works and be happy!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... the necessity of a teacher I had finally figured out myself, and I was also familiar with slow practise, but I had never heard of interleaved practise, and when I first heard it, it did not appeal to me. But experimenting with how much time I spend with each section, and finally finding out that three minutes per section is a guideline that works very well for me, is something that would never have happened without PW. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

You must be talking about stuff by Einaudi, Yiruma, Tiersen, Mansell, Krug, etc! wink

OK, I'm joking here. Some of our most loved members here are big fans of some of these artists. smile Play their works and be happy!

Yup!

I play some Yann Tiersen and Einaudi so far.

Of course i was also joking, I learned better things around here than the fact these might be considered simplistic and repetitive. smile

Im just doing it my way and just love to play. So far I haven't seen a teacher or even touched a book. I just learned about 7 pieces by synthesia and YouTube tutorials.

I did try an online piano cursus before but i didn't have the patience to be playing when the saints go marching on or christmas songs at the time, so that didn't help.

I have not come to a point where i got stuck, and everytime i try to learn something that's harder to play/more complex than the last thing i learned, i have been able to tackle by hard practice so far.

I also notice the way i play is really improving and im more motivated than ever. I have really found something that's on my mind the moment i wake up in playing piano. So now i feel it's time for me to quit watching synthesia and YouTube tutorials and I just started learning to read sheet music, and looking into learning scales etc, Ill probably look for a good book to study all these things.

While i am a fan of both Tiersen and Einaudi, and this music got me into playing piano, i am confident my repertoire will expand beyond these. smile

I might even get a teacher after all! grin

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I play some Yann Tiersen and Einaudi so far.

Well, let me introduce you to some more simplistic and repetitive music then! grin

Tiersen:

Yiruma:

Mansell:

Crane:

Richter:

Costlow:

Arnalds:

I know these well - my wife loves simplistic and repetitive too, so our Spotify account is always set on these every time I sign on! wink

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
My composer friend gave me a reference to this book, How Music Plays the Mind by Elizabeth Hellmuth Margulis, on repetition in music:

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/on-repeat-9780199990825

It turns out that we expect repetition, indeed, we crave repetition in music and repetition is satisfying. People on this thread seem to be using the term “simplistic” in a pejorative sense but I don’t think that has to be the case. Simple, repetitive music can be deeply moving.

The author of the book points out that we don’t recall melodies as factual entities, we regenerate them in our brains, perhaps as a set of nested predictions, according to my friend. So, we all become performers.

This is an interesting TEDx talk on repetition in pop music:

https://youtu.be/_tjFwcmHy5M

Repetition is something we expect in music, this repetition is either realized or broken. When it is broken, we form new expectations about what will repeat, and the process continues.

And then there is this talk on an attempt to create “music” that has no repetition in order to create the perfect ping for sonar systems:

https://youtu.be/RENk9PK06AQ

Last edited by LarryK; 05/27/19 09:48 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
This is an interesting TEDx talk on repetition in pop music

Thanks for the link!

Well, there is pop music repetition, and then there is Techno repetition. The latter takes repetition to an entirely different level. My wife was hooked on techno for years. I can't count how many techno nightclubs she's dragged me to. Believe me, it is a complete relief to me she's moved on to Einaudi, Tiersen, Yiruma, Mansell, Crane, et al. grin

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
This is an interesting TEDx talk on repetition in pop music

Thanks for the link!

Well, there is pop music repetition, and then there is Techno repetition. The latter takes repetition to an entirely different level. My wife was hooked on techno for years. I can't count how many techno nightclubs she's dragged me to. Believe me, it is a complete relief to me she's moved on to Einaudi, Tiersen, Yiruma, Mansell, Crane, et al. grin

The thing that bothers me is not repetition, it is repetition at high volumes. Have we forgotten the meaning of dynamic range? I can handle transitory loudness, I cannot accept unending loudness. Does Techno ever go quiet? High volumes are a way to grab the listener’s attention but high volumes quickly fatigue the ear. Yes, I know all about the loudness war, which really should be called the dynamic range war.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/27/19 10:14 AM.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Tyrone thanks for the links! I think (whatever it means), that lag fyrir ommu one is pretty nice.

Right now im working on this:

I like this version alot and i think it's is a step above the pieces i can already play in terms of difficulty, so that's a good thing too. Maybe your wife will like it too!

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
My wife was hooked on techno for years. I can't count how many techno nightclubs she's dragged me to. Believe me, it is a complete relief to me she's moved on to Einaudi, Tiersen, Yiruma, Mansell, Crane, et al. grin

So if i understand this correctly.. your wife dragged you to techno nightclubs, and after that, she gave up and started listening different music.

Since i like to always be positive whenever possible, i will just say, well done! grin

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Does Techno ever go quiet?

I sometimes think subwoofers were first invented for Techno. In fact, can it be called "Techno" if you can't feel it in your gut? Sorry, my ears are not in my abdomen...

So if i understand this correctly.. your wife dragged you to techno nightclubs, and after that, she gave up and started listening different music.

Since i like to always be positive whenever possible, i will just say, well done! grin

Yes! She says she "outgrew it" but I'd like to attribute it to my "moderating" influence thumb grin I'm just glad I don't have to listen to music with my abdomen any more! laugh

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission