2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Beowulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Hello everyone,

I am currently taking private lessons under the ABRSM syllabus (am currently learning at a grade 2 level although I do not take exams as I have no need for certs yet) using a Yamaha CLP-645 and I am thinking of switching to an upright as my teacher also claims that acoustics will be better for my learning.

I am considering getting a secondhand Yamaha LX-113T as my budget only allows up to that so I wish to ask if that is a good piano to last me till the end of my grades. Furthermore, this model seems similar to be similar to JX-113T in terms of appearance so I would also like to ask if anyone knows what the differences between these two models are.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It appears that the JX is a current model, the LX isn't on YAMAHA's current Australian model range, so might be a previous model. It appears they're both made by YAMAHA in Indonesia. While they're not as good as the Japanese pianos - they'd be good pianos up to diploma level.

Check out the market though, as there is quite a variety in that general price range - KAWAI as well, plus some of the Korean and Chinese pianos.

Play a cross-section of them - buy the one which you enjoy most.

The other possibility is a near new higher grade piano - eg a YAMAHA YUS1, KAWAI K3 etc - similar size, quite a bit dearer new and a nicer piano, but you might find some 10 yr old ones in as-new condition for the same price range as the LX/JX. Spend a bit of time trying out near-new 2nd hand pianos in piano stores as well.

The only thing with a used piano, it's worth getting it checked out by an independent technician, just in case there is something untoward - albeit unlikely in a near new piano.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
On doing a search for this Yamaha I came across this link from 2002 on this website which poses almost the same question.
Yamaha LH
Personally I would have thought the 645 was more than adequate at your level but it sounds as if your teacher might not really like or know much about digitals.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
B
Beowulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
The other possibility is a near new higher grade piano - eg a YAMAHA YUS1, KAWAI K3 etc - similar size, quite a bit dearer new and a nicer piano, but you might find some 10 yr old ones in as-new condition for the same price range as the LX/JX. Spend a bit of time trying out near-new 2nd hand pianos in piano stores as well.

I highly doubt I can get my hands anywhere near the YUS series for the same price as the JX from where I live.

Originally Posted by Colin Miles
On doing a search for this Yamaha I came across this link from 2002 on this website which poses almost the same question.
Yamaha LH
Personally I would have thought the 645 was more than adequate at your level but it sounds as if your teacher might not really like or know much about digitals.

My teacher did say the 645 is enough for my level but I believe it won't hurt to start on acoustics early.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I think, especially coming fron a non-hybrid digital, an acoustic piano is a totally different experience. So if you want to be good at playing acoustic, i agree with your teacher.

I have a yamaha cp33 (older gh action) coupled with a great vst, and a 1985 yamaha U3. I use both daily, the difference in touch and response/sound is like night and day. It took me a while to be able to play the U3 at about the same level as i can play the digital. Now i highly prefer it.

Once you get your acoustic, don't be surprised if you have some trouble with dynamics in the beginning!

J
J
Digital pianos make you sound better than you are. It is far easier to play pp and below on them. Also, the una corda
effect is usually not really at all like an acoustic. I will say this though, there's an inspiration/motivation to practice advantage on digitals that have record functions and tempo alteration functions. For me, I can affect dynamics, phrasing, and line much better at slower tempos. So when you record at a very slow tempo with close listening and then jack up the tempo you can hear what you might sound like if you practice enough - that is to say GLORIOUS.

Piano Technician since 2000 at Hamilton Piano Company, West Palm Beach, FL
I've completed the Little Red School House Program at Yamaha HQ, Buena Park, CA
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Beowulf - you mentioned a second hand LX 113 would be in your price range. How old is the LX 113 you’re looking at? What is your price range? A nice acoustic upright can effectively teach you all the required playing techniques up to mid level piano testing. Many of us have grown up playing our parents console pianos and still placed in recitals. It is possible that a console piano will meet your needs if a piano tech gives it an A-OK. You might want to consider an older bigger upright that would still be in your price range. It might not be as pretty but in comparable uprights, the taller the piano the bigger the soundboard and the longer the strings. It really improves the sound and dynamic range. Also, the piano action improves and gives the player more control over dynamics.
The new hybrid pianos have nice actions but are much more expensive than a good used acoustic upright. Best of Luck! Like your username!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
B
Beowulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by U3piano
I think, especially coming fron a non-hybrid digital, an acoustic piano is a totally different experience. So if you want to be good at playing acoustic, i agree with your teacher.

I have a yamaha cp33 (older gh action) coupled with a great vst, and a 1985 yamaha U3. I use both daily, the difference in touch and response/sound is like night and day. It took me a while to be able to play the U3 at about the same level as i can play the digital. Now i highly prefer it.

Once you get your acoustic, don't be surprised if you have some trouble with dynamics in the beginning!

I totally agree with you on the touch as I find myself tripping too much whenever I get the chance to play on acoustics at the stores where I pass by. Ideally, I would have liked to keep both a digital and acoustic for different obvious reasons, but there's just no more room in my current apartment for me to do so.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Jim Rickson
Digital pianos make you sound better than you are. It is far easier to play pp and below on them.

Judging from my own experience, this is true.

When i first had an acoustic i could not play soft on it at all and i thought the action was heavy. I started blaming the piano, and asking questions on this forum wondering if the piano was ok.

Now after some months im probably still in the adapting process, but i can now play soft(er) and with a pretty good dynamic range, and the action now actually feels light. Strange, but true.

B
Beowulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by j&j
Beowulf - you mentioned a second hand LX 113 would be in your price range. How old is the LX 113 you’re looking at? What is your price range? A nice acoustic upright can effectively teach you all the required playing techniques up to mid level piano testing. Many of us have grown up playing our parents console pianos and still placed in recitals. It is possible that a console piano will meet your needs if a piano tech gives it an A-OK. You might want to consider an older bigger upright that would still be in your price range. It might not be as pretty but in comparable uprights, the taller the piano the bigger the soundboard and the longer the strings. It really improves the sound and dynamic range. Also, the piano action improves and gives the player more control over dynamics.
The new hybrid pianos have nice actions but are much more expensive than a good used acoustic upright. Best of Luck! Like your username!

I am actually going down to a secondhand store to take a look so I can see what else they have to offer. I won't limit myself to just the LX-113. Thanks for liking my username!

Originally Posted by Jim Rickson
Digital pianos make you sound better than you are. It is far easier to play pp and below on them.

Judging from my own experience, this is true.

When i first had an acoustic i could not play soft on it at all and i thought the action was heavy. I started blaming the piano, and asking questions on this forum wondering if the piano was ok.

Now after some months im probably still in the adapting process, but i can now play soft(er) and with a pretty good dynamic range, and the action now actually feels light. Strange, but true.

All the more reason I should start early!

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
If i could give you some advise, it would be this:

Your clp 645 probably has options for the touch curves. Something i did since i realized what it is like to play acoustic, is set that to the softest possible option. (my cp33 has 3 options, soft medium and hard, so i put it on soft. I could adjust more within the vst settings but i haven't looked into that.) This will make it a little harder to play softly, and i think therefore more comparable to an acoustic piano. So i would say this will be better practice to play acoustic.

Also, don't play with the volume too low. Actually, put it as close to "too loud" as possible. I think this will also be better practice, because if the volume is low, you will tend to play harder to compensate that. The volume is never low on an acoustic, and it will require a delicate touch to control it.

These are things i didn't realize when i only played the digital.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Beowulf
. Ideally, I would have liked to keep both a digital and acoustic for different obvious reasons, but there's just no more room in my current apartment for me to do so.

Maybe go with a slab/stage type digital. You could stand it on end in a closet when you're not playing it.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
C
C
I ...
I have a yamaha cp33 (older gh action) coupled with a great vst, and a 1985 yamaha U3. I

may I ask which vst that is?

Thanks

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Chordo24
I ...
I have a yamaha cp33 (older gh action) coupled with a great vst, and a 1985 yamaha U3. I

may I ask which vst that is?

Thanks

Of course! I have the garritan cfx (full version) it's great. Right now im in the process of adding the Ravenscroft 275 to that (buying from a member here) so i can switch back and forth between different sounding piano's. That one should be nice also, but i haven't played it yet.

C
C
Thanks

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.To me there is nothing wrong with a 130 sized U3 piano.If one needs a" pretty" upright there are
plenty around which are not very good.I personally like tall ebony
polished pianos because they remind me of the piano's of a bygone
era.Perception is more complicated than what a couple of guys feel
when they see a tall dark piano.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
LadyBird- I didn’t intend to imply that a bigger upright was less attractive. I was suggesting an older used upright might be better than a new smaller console. In my limited experience the “cosmetic appearance” of an older piano might come with more dings and dents. A bigger older cosmetically flawed upright would be a better value to the OP.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
No one minds,for some a tall dark.,for others a short blond, just like Starbucks Coffee.It is just taste ! Sometimes people fall in love with
someone with a few more " dings and dents" than others.
As for the op I think a good digital is better than a bad accoustic.
Take your time in buying as good an accoustic piano as possible.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
You are correct of course, if I am supersenitive it is because
a few posters have openly expressed repugnance for tall
ebony polished verticals in rather graphic details.Like everyone
else certain things can get under one's skin.
I just wanted to say just as someone may prefer a cherry coloured 115 sized upright another is enamored with something totally different.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/30/19 07:36 PM. Reason: Missing word

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission