2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 50 of 237 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 236 237
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Wonderful news Tyrone!
I hope you have many wonderful years together!

J
J
Congrats Tyrone! Lucky man... I have to wait until september for delivery. I hope the dealer was pessimistic!

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Congrats, Tyrone. It is a beautiful instrument.
I hope at some point you let us know how Pianoteq compares to the CFX through the on-board speakers.
My experience with Pianoteq/N2 was not good. The biggest problem being the ‘sound imaging’. Pianoteq sounded distant no matter how much we tweaked. I’ve always assumed this was due to the multi-channel system not working very well with a stereo input (Pianoteq), but I wonder if the new built-in audio interface would make a difference. Or if Yamaha might’ve performed some further ‘tuning’ of the sound system to make it more compatible with incoming stereo signals.

P
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

EDIT: Well, this is assuming I can find the power switch. (Now where's that d@mn user manual? laugh )

I find the power switch very disappointing. Rather than the nice solid push and latch of the old clavinove you give it a rather squiggy push and hope it comes on - not helped by the fact you can't really see the on LED from the piano stool.

Switching off is just as bad - looking across I realised I failed to switch it off last time so it is still on now frown

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@percy64: Tyrone won't have that problem. He can shut off the piano (and everything else) from any one of those power strips.

Or, if he's not careful he can just stand up from the bench and leave the room.
When tripping over the nest of cords he'll inadvertently yank a plug from the wall and shut down everything.
Simple. smile

B
B
Congrats Tyrone, wish you love and happiness with your new partner...
Will feel what you feel in about a month!

Chopin is the only dead man that makes me feel alive.
Bro'
J
J
Congratulations Tyrone on your beautiful new instrument!

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
P
P
Has anyone tried moving their N1X since installation?

My wife tells me I have put it in the wrong room frown

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by percy64
Has anyone tried moving their N1X since installation?

My wife tells me I have put it in the wrong room frown

Funny you mention that, I was just thinking the other day that Yamaha does not put casters on those things, do they? Doesn’t it weight about 260lbs? Oof.

I put those floor protector pads on the feet of my 175lb amplifier so that I can slide it around on the floor. I don’t know if that would work on the N1X or if you’d snap off a leg. Can you find some wheels to put under the legs?

Congratulations, TS.

LOL, I just saw the previous post that showed the felt pads they include for the legs. How kind of them. Those pads are certainly cheaper than wheels!

Last edited by LarryK; 05/25/19 08:51 AM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
So Tyrone, is it glorious?

Betcha it is!

Part of me is eager to hear what Tyrone has to say about this piano. He's been drooling for a better piano. (Haven't we all?)
And his day has come. So come hither, Tyrone, and speak!

The other part of me wants to hear nothing, knowing that he's spending every available moment with his new piano.
PW be damned! Play the thing ... and post later!

It remains to see which scenario will play. But his 15 hour silence suggests the latter.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Part of me is eager to hear what Tyrone has to say about this piano. He's been drooling for a better piano. (Haven't we all?)
And his day has come. So come hither, Tyrone, and speak!

The other part of me wants to hear nothing, knowing that he's spending every available moment with his new piano.
PW be damned! Play the thing ... and post later!

It remains to see which scenario will play. But his 15 hour silence suggests the latter.

Actually, you and some others here and on Reddit have shamed me into taking care of cable he11. I was actually planning on just waiting until the interior designer takes care of figuring where this piano will live on a permanent basis, and in so doing, having some other people take care of cable management and cable raceways for me. But I'm now hanging my head in shame and on "Amazon Prime Now" (the 2-hour delivery version of Amazon.com) ordering velcro cable ties, electrical tape and surge-suppressing power-strips with 12 outlets instead of the dinky ones I have (although I have tower behind the piano with 20 outlets, it isn't enough - crazy as that seems - these days every little thing seems to need power).

Then because I have problems with impulse control, I found myself ordering an iPad Pro from Amazon Prime Now to replace my ancient iPad that Apple doesn't even do iOS releases for any more. (Ugh. Bad Tyrone!) The only thing really N1X related about this iPad Pro I just bought is that I've already gotten tired of the control buttons on the N1X. Although I could probably run the Yamaha Smart Pianist app on my current ancient iPad (or at least some earlier release of this software) my current iPad has a cracked screen which is not aesthetically a nice match for my shiny new piano. blush

So stay tuned later tonight for another pic with just as many cables but with all the cables and power cords neatly coiled and cable-tied. blush No wall-mounted cabling raceways though - that will really await the piano going to live in some other part of the flat!

And sometime in this process, I will find some more time for actually playing this thing! laugh )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
Tyrone,

First thing you need to do is turn it on and play it. smile

Second thing you need to do is order some of these. That's quite a network of cables you've got going on there.

Congrats on the purchase. Now wax that thing up and get to playing. grin

God Bless,
David

David,

I see you have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I just bought from Amazon Prime Now and will have a delivered in 2hrs, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (More poor impulse control! Prime Now didn't have a 2i4 and that's the thing about instant gratification - if I have to wait, I don't want it any more! LOL).

How do you use your Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, since the N1X, I believe, has a built-in external audio interface, doesn't it? How do you hook up your Focusrite Scarlett 2i4?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
LOL, I just saw the previous post that showed the felt pads they include for the legs. How kind of them. Those pads are certainly cheaper than wheels!

And why only three pads, and not four? Yamaha did that on purpose to set OCD people off! mad laugh

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

And why only three pads, and not four? Yamaha did that on purpose to set OCD people off! mad laugh

More cost cutting! Are there four legs? I thought it was kind of like a tripod.

Can one person slide it around without taking a chance of damaging it?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

More cost cutting! Are there four legs? I thought it was kind of like a tripod.

Well, two of it's legs are connected by a horizontal piece at the bottom, close to the ground. I can slide a music book under this horizontal crossbar thing so the piano is not resting on it. I think then it should be counted as 4 legs.

Can one person slide it around without taking a chance of damaging it?

I have been sliding it small distances and will do more today. I don't see any scratches on the wood floor (I slide super slowly) and I hope I'm not doing any damage to the piano. Obviously though, either my floor is uneven or the legs of my N1X are uneven. I'm going to be using at least one of these 3 felt pads.

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The pads are to put ONE of them under a leg when there’s uneven surface leading to ONE leg above the floor. If doesn’t make sense to put under all four legs, or three, or even two smile The pads are actually of three different thicknesses. And you’re supposed to use only one smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/25/19 01:59 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I was actually planning on just waiting until the interior designer takes care of figuring where this piano will live on a permanent basis, and in so doing, having some other people take care of cable management and cable raceways for me. But I'm now hanging my head in shame and on "Amazon Prime Now" (the 2-hour delivery version of Amazon.com) ordering velcro cable ties, electrical tape and surge-suppressing power-strips with 12 outlets instead of the dinky ones I have (although I have tower behind the piano with 20 outlets, it isn't enough - crazy as that seems - these days every little thing seems to need power).

Then because I have problems with impulse control, I found myself ordering an iPad Pro from Amazon Prime Now to replace my ancient iPad that Apple doesn't even do iOS releases for any more. (Ugh. Bad Tyrone!) The only thing really N1X related about this iPad Pro I just bought is that I've already gotten tired of the control buttons on the N1X.

This may be a silly question, but what Velcro cable ties did you order? My stereo is in desperate need of cable management. My audio guru sent me a picture of his system and it is immaculately presented and he claims he hasn’t put in cable management yet. How do I hide the unsightly mess? Cable raceways?

Which iPad Pro did you get? I made the mistake of telling my wife I have $250+ in Apple gift cards. I was going to buy a new iPad but she says I should save them for the next new iPhone. I should know by now to just buy things, my standard operating procedure.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
This may be a silly question, but what Velcro cable ties did you order?

I got two packages of these particular reusable ties. Two is probably overkill since it's 200 ties, but I didn't want to run out tonight as I am coiling and wrapping, and they are only $0.10 each anyways.

My stereo is in desperate need of cable management. My audio guru sent me a picture of his system and it is immaculately presented and he claims he hasn’t put in cable management yet. How do I hide the unsightly mess? Cable raceways?

Yeah, raceways are good. I will want that after my apartment is reorganized by the interior designer. But that is for someone else to do. Raceways are too complicated for a guy with two thumbs and no mechanical aptitude to handle. smile

Which iPad Pro did you get?

The biggest one Prime Now had was this one, so I got it. I see now it was the last one that my local Prime Now distribution center had. I could have ordered a bigger one from the regular Amazon.com but that would get here until Tuesday, and I really wanted to try the Smart Pianist feature... today (waaaah I want now! now! wink )

Though, I stupidly forgot to get the Apple Pencil 2 with it. I'm going to order that now and get by this evening. Trying to think if I've forgotten any other cables or connectors I should also order so I don't keep bouncing back to Prime Now. There's a last-mile delivery charge for every Prime Now order.

I made the mistake of telling my wife I have $250+ in Apple gift cards. I was going to buy a new iPad but she says I should save them for the next new iPhone. I should know by now to just buy things, my standard operating procedure.

Yeah never do that. I made the mistake of telling my wife I have 19.95 bitcoins I mined years ago sitting on an SSD and my wife has mentioned it to me at least 100 times that she wants me to sell them. LOL. How much more peace I would have had if I had never brought this up.

BTW, I used to have 1200 bitcoins until my wife got a hold of them, sold them at $12.50 a few years ago and then use half to buy shoes. sigh...

Don't bother doing the math. It's depressing.

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wife spends on shoes the amount of a N1X?! From your bitcoins?I hope you haven’t had to ask a permission for the N1X laugh

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/25/19 03:19 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 50 of 237 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission