Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (anotherscott, Chopin Acolyte, 36251, Brendan, Bett, achoo42, 29 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Charles Walter question #2851870
05/24/19 05:13 PM
05/24/19 05:13 PM
C
Chicago-BK Offline OP
Chicago-BK  Offline OP
C

Hello. I am looking at two CW pianos. One is from the dealer: 1982, reregulated, with 5yr warranty for $3k. Another one from a private person: 1993, $2k... any opinions re: which one is a better bet. I am not sure how big of a factor that age difference is... Also, do these prices seem ok? Thank you!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Charles Walter question [Re: Chicago-BK] #2851872
05/24/19 05:22 PM
05/24/19 05:22 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Hello, Chicago-BK, and welcome to Piano World!

Being a Charles Walter, the price seems good on either piano. But condition is usually more important than age alone when it comes to pianos. If I were you, I'd hire a qualified piano tech to inspect the newer private sale piano for $2K. You are only looking at a $100 or so for the inspection, and you might work out a package deal or something similar with the tech on moving and tuning as well (if you go with the private sale).

The older CW at the dealer could also be a nice piano and the price not out of reason if it includes moving and tuning.

Personally, I believe the better value in a pre-owned piano is from private sellers, but then you, the buyer, takes on the responsibility for inspection, moving and tuning. So, you just have to weigh the pros and cons of buying private sale or from a dealer.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Charles Walter question [Re: Chicago-BK] #2851931
05/24/19 09:50 PM
05/24/19 09:50 PM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

San Jose, CA
Rick is right about the inspection(s), and that condition is king... always. In general, it would seem that the much younger piano with the much lower price might be the much better value. As a rule of thumb (and condition is king), for a good piano which has had reasonable care and a moderate amount of play, we think of them as having about 50 years of musically useful life before they begin to require some rather expensive refurbishment. But there is a market segment which prizes aging pianos which can still be plunked (I was one such), for very little money. The fact that you mention only pianos by the rather uncommon maker, Charles Walter, is interesting. It is not well known among piano shoppers--- how did you happen upon two? Guardian angel?

But, it is not a good deal if you don't like the piano once you get it home. And with the Walters, they basically have two flavors of uprights: plain, for less money, and fancy, for more. Same piano inside. I happen to prefer the plain, but no one comes to me for interior design advice. If you were ordering from the factory, there are two different keyboards you might have ordered. Stock is a Chinese-made Langer type action; many find it just suits them. Or, for another 2 grand, a much nicer one (some think) by German maker, Renner.

In your case, that is so many smoke rings up on the ceiling. So, do they play well? look well? Can you find out how much they have been played, how much professional care they have had, and where they have been domiciled? A piano school, a church, or a nightclub auger less well than a private residence, climate-controlled, for a student who tired of lessons, left for college, and never looked back. Perhaps the parents are moving to assisted living; perhaps it will mean something to them that the piano is going to someone who will play it and love it.

CW enjoyed a nearly blemishless reputation for many years. Last time I heard about it, there had been a few problems getting service for recently-made models. For a 20- or 30-something piano, it will hardly matter.

I loved them for their big voice (for that size piano) and the full-piano-width music desk. The design was innovative, and made use of every possible inch to get the longest string length. At the same time, the profile was modest; a friendly size that would not frighten the life out of a child.

If you don't know any piano technicians in your area who are qualified to inspect a piano for condition, estimate the cost of service to put it in tip-top playing shape, and appraise its fair local market value (and, perhaps, refer you to a good piano moving company), you might try http://ptg.org Piano Technicians Guild.

Best of luck to you, Chicago-BK in your search! Write back and let us know how it goes, we love piano search stories.

Clef

PS- Charles Walter also makes two models of grand pianos. If you are looking at stores which carry new CW uprights, seeking to play them in order to give you perspective on how the older models compare, try out the grands. The ones I have seen were lovely pieces of workmanship, aiming for a size and volume of voice which would fit more comfortably into most homes.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 05/24/19 09:57 PM. Reason: forgot CW's two grand models

Clef

Re: Charles Walter question [Re: Chicago-BK] #2852156
05/25/19 03:32 PM
05/25/19 03:32 PM
C
Chicago-BK Offline OP
Chicago-BK  Offline OP
C

Thank you for your responses! I stumbled on Charles Walter accidentally while doing research and to be honest for the $ it has been difficult to find anything else that compares. Also, maybe because we are in Chicago, but major piano dealers/stores carry at least one or two used ones.

We are leaning towards the private sale... I will keep you updated once we seal the deal.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions about Feurich Grands?
by ShiroKuro. 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Hand Discomfort
by Anna123. 06/26/19 02:52 PM
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt
by PHollis. 06/26/19 01:37 PM
Estonia Concert Grand
by LovingPianos. 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Ebony Sharps - how low is too low
by DougD. 06/26/19 12:34 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,726
Posts2,842,334
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission