Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
102 registered members (36251, Brendan, Bett, anotherscott, Chopin Acolyte, achoo42, 32 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard #2851696
05/24/19 08:49 AM
05/24/19 08:49 AM
A
applelover Offline OP
applelover  Offline OP
A

I've had a few dozen piano lessons but am learning on my own now. I chronically choose pieces that are too hard for me to play right and in some cases even come close to learning. I choose them just based on how much I like the song.

I'm starting to think I'm holding back my learning by doing it this way. It's not because I get discouraged. I still enjoy it, progress, and put in time playing. But I'm thinking, everything else being equal, if I put in the same amount of time playing moderate pieces as opposed to pieces too hard for me, I will get significantly more out of it. True? Thoughts?

And here is a related question. Lately I've been working on sheet music created by people on YouTube where they take modern songs (soundtracks like Batman, Interstellar, or Metallica, Tool) and do a piano cover. Again, all things being equal, assuming I spend the same amount of time and enjoy doing both the same, would focusing on more traditional classical pieces help me learn and become a better pianist significantly faster?

Thanks!!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851701
05/24/19 08:59 AM
05/24/19 08:59 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Well …. I hope you are ready for a barrage of "opinions" on this one …. lol

And in the end ….. the conclusion may well be …. Maybe !

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851704
05/24/19 09:02 AM
05/24/19 09:02 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by applelover
Again, all things being equal, assuming I spend the same amount of time and enjoy doing both the same, would focusing on more traditional classical pieces help me learn and become a better pianist significantly faster?

Maybe. But even so, it would seem to depend on your goals. If your goal is to have fun playing piano covers (with the emphasis on "fun"), learning classical piano sounds like a detour from that. (Speaking only as another piano student, here!)

Life is too short to spend a lot of time do things either one doesn't like or which are not directly associated with one's goal(s). Reminds me of a niece who took up weight training to help her with competitive sailing. Now you try to figure out the connection there!

Have you considered a piano method focusing on the style of piano you like and the pieces? For example, there is a piano teacher on Reddit whose specialty is gaming music. I bet there a lot of young people who would love to have him as their teacher!

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851712
05/24/19 09:32 AM
05/24/19 09:32 AM
A
applelover Offline OP
applelover  Offline OP
A

"piano method focusing on the style of piano you like and the pieces" - what does piano method mean here? I'm not sure I use any methods or even understand what this means.

Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851728
05/24/19 09:59 AM
05/24/19 09:59 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Do you want to be able to play like a 'proper pianist', using all your fingers well, and developing hand & finger independence?

Then go for classical. A method that requires you to develop both hands equally.

A method book that starts you off with RH melody and LH chords and continues on down the same route is fine if you're just interested in pop etc, but it won't develop your LH properly like Bach et al would.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: bennevis] #2851732
05/24/19 10:08 AM
05/24/19 10:08 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by bennevis
Do you want to be able to play like a 'proper pianist', using all your fingers well, and developing hand & finger independence?

Then go for classical. A method that requires you to develop both hands equally.

A method book that starts you off with RH melody and LH chords and continues on down the same route is fine if you're just interested in pop etc, but it won't develop your LH properly like Bach et al would.

It isn't either-or though. Believe it or not it is possible find arrangements of popular music that are also technically worthwhile to play. I won't say any more because I have a vested interest and I've probably said too much already about this on another thread. But you can do a mixture for sure. There's also things like the Rock School syllabus for example and Trinity Rock & Pop, which I haven't investigated and maybe they do major on melody and chords but I'd suspect there's more to them.

Last edited by ShyPianist; 05/24/19 10:16 AM.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: ShyPianist] #2851735
05/24/19 10:20 AM
05/24/19 10:20 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by ShyPianist

It isn't either-or though. Believe it or not it is possible find arrangements of popular music that are also technically worthwhile to play. I won't say any more because I have a vested interest and I've probably said too much already about this on another thread. But you can do a mixture for sure.

Of course, but it won't sound anything like what you'd hear in the original song.

Any tune can be made complicated and technically difficult (heaven knows, I'd done lots of that when improvising on pop and folk tunes in my time) but that often just makes the song sound like a classical fish out of water.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: bennevis] #2851736
05/24/19 10:21 AM
05/24/19 10:21 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK

It isn't either-or though. Believe it or not it is possible find arrangements of popular music that are also technically worthwhile to play. I won't say any more because I have a vested interest and I've probably said too much already about this on another thread. But you can do a mixture for sure.

Of course, but it won't sound anything like what you'd hear in the original song.

Any tune can be made complicated and technically difficult (heaven knows, I'd done lots of that when improvising on pop and folk tunes in my time) but that often just makes the song sound like a classical fish out of water.......

Not necessarily true actually. The original song is very very rarely just melody and chords, but that's what so many piano arrangements end up as. But if a careful arranger/transcriber seeks to bring out the other parts and uses imagination to boot then you can have an arrangement that is close to the original AND requires good pianism. And by that I don't mean it has to be crazy difficult.

Last edited by ShyPianist; 05/24/19 10:25 AM.

Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: ShyPianist] #2851738
05/24/19 10:24 AM
05/24/19 10:24 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Not necessarily true actually. :-)

Is there a pop song that has an interesting LH part for keyboard?

Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851739
05/24/19 10:25 AM
05/24/19 10:25 AM
Canada
Serge88 Offline

Silver Subscriber
Serge88  Offline

Silver Subscriber

Canada
...would focusing on more traditional classical pieces help me learn and become a better pianist significantly faster?

Thanks!!!

If you want to learn to play modern songs go for it. If you want to learn classical music, learn classical. Imho, there is no short cut for learning the piano, only hard work.
You can learn all the Well-tempered Clavier from Bach but at the end of the day, if you only want to play Metallica or Coldplay, you will have a hard time motivated yourself.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.”
– Maria Cristina

Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: bennevis] #2851741
05/24/19 10:26 AM
05/24/19 10:26 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Not necessarily true actually. :-)

Is there a pop song that has an interesting LH part for keyboard?

I could point you to a couple of arrangements I've done, but that would be breaching the rules I expect. (It would also blow my cover so I'm not going to do that). I edited my post since you replied incidentally.

Last edited by ShyPianist; 05/24/19 10:26 AM.

Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: ShyPianist] #2851745
05/24/19 10:28 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Not necessarily true actually. The original song is very very rarely just melody and chords, but that's what so many piano arrangements end up as. But if a careful arranger/transcriber seeks to bring out the other parts and uses imagination to boot then you can have an arrangement that is close to the original AND requires good pianism.

Hal Leonard's books of arrangements have what you mean in an attempt to make piano music out of simple songs, but to me, his arrangements sound 'classicalied" and contrived, in the manner I described earlier.

A few of Elton John's songs are the closest I've found to be playable as piano solos without sounding that way.

Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: bennevis] #2851746
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK

Not necessarily true actually. The original song is very very rarely just melody and chords, but that's what so many piano arrangements end up as. But if a careful arranger/transcriber seeks to bring out the other parts and uses imagination to boot then you can have an arrangement that is close to the original AND requires good pianism.

Hal Leonard's books of arrangements have what you mean in an attempt to make piano music out of simple songs, but to me, his arrangements sound 'classicallied", and in the manner I described earlier.

Exactly why I, personally, have taken to writing my own. And I go right back to the original recordings and then listen, carefully.

Last edited by ShyPianist; 05/24/19 10:29 AM.

Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851750
05/24/19 10:32 AM
05/24/19 10:32 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
I've had a few dozen piano lessons but am learning on my own now. I chronically choose pieces that are too hard for me to play right and in some cases even come close to learning. I choose them just based on how much I like the song.

I'm starting to think I'm holding back my learning by doing it this way. It's not because I get discouraged. I still enjoy it, progress, and put in time playing. But I'm thinking, everything else being equal, if I put in the same amount of time playing moderate pieces as opposed to pieces too hard for me, I will get significantly more out of it. True? Thoughts?

When playing too difficult pieces without a teacher there is a great risk that you will teach yourself wrong technique, which can be hard to unlearn, and can even lead to injuries, for instance when you overstretch your hands.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851751
05/24/19 10:34 AM
05/24/19 10:34 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
I experienced exactly this. I work with a method book that is mostly focussed on LH chords. And I faced a lot of difficulties with hand independence, till I supplemented with other method books and simple classical pieces. I still think my left hand playing would have been better, if I ditched that method book altogether. But then, I also like chords, so I try to maintain a balance.

applelover, you can look for piano method books. I don’t know of any which includes modern songs though. There are some supplemental books containing popular songs with fairly simple arrangements. I have checked those published by Alfred and Faber so far. Sadly, these don’t contain as much recent music as I’d have liked. However, once you get some coordination, you’ll be in better control with the sheet music you are getting from the YouTube tutorials. There are some "easy piano books" available, but be careful to check the score before buying, as these are not so easy for beginners.

Trinity Rock & Pop syllabus, as mentioned above, was very appealing to me in the beginning. However, I later decided to follow the regular Trinity syllabus. You should definitely check it out for reference, as your interests primarily lie there. The rock-and-pop syllabus insists on playing along with a backing track, as far as I know.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851752
05/24/19 10:35 AM
05/24/19 10:35 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I think having a balance of working on pieces that are at your current playing level, adding a piece at a time that demands a new skill, and then once in a while sprinkling in a challenge piece (that require 2 or more new skills) provides for the best progress.

Playing pieces that are written specifically for piano is very different than cover tunes or transcriptions. Playing stuff idiomatic for piano I think is extremely helpful in not only developing technique that applies to everything you play, but also helps you see what the possibilities are for piano. This you can apply to how you decide to play your covers as well.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851802
05/24/19 01:47 PM
05/24/19 01:47 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Agree...I often choose music that is too hard. The benefit is playing beautiful music, and learning along the way, but it's at the expense of time that could be put to use playing a larger variety of easier pieces, which might help teach piano more efficiently, getting us to a higher level sooner.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851887
05/24/19 06:07 PM
05/24/19 06:07 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
Pianoperformance  Offline
P

When I started I chose scores that were pure torture. After a few years, I pulled back and realized one pager can still teach me a lot. So now, I work on 2 pieces for my lessons. One technically tough like Bach 2-part inventions and second piece that is more at my level [often an intermediate score from the latest pianist magazine]. Sight reading practice will be beginner pieces.

My teacher has to support either of the 2 pieces, so his input is critical. He can see things I cant and it has payed out many times when I am insistent on learning a piece 🤣

I think it s great to try a tough piece, but knowing when to stop and tell oneself that ‘not now, later’ is important.

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 05/24/19 06:08 PM.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Choosing Sheet Music That is Too Hard [Re: applelover] #2851910
05/24/19 07:52 PM
05/24/19 07:52 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia

Thanks!!!

My teachers have always allowed me to pick my pieces so I fell into this trap from the outset. I started so many pieces that were too difficult for me and had to abandon, and those that I sort of got on top off I could never play well, and quickly forgot when I rested them for any time. It was very frustrating and although I loved the challenges and the learning cycle, I never had pieces I could play just for the fun of it. Neither did I ever have the feeling of success, which I think is very important for anyone's well being.

The solution is to learn grade/level appropriate pieces, and not the pieces you like the sound off (which is why after nine months playing I found myself learning grade 6 pieces I never had a chance at finishing). Of course having a stretch piece is important but if at the moment you consider yourself a grade 1 then grade 3 is a stretch piece (not grade 7).

There has been a lot of effort put into categorising classical music (not so sure about other genres), and while there are always pieces that are subject to much debate, there is also much consensus.

This site is very useful as is this

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions about Feurich Grands?
by ShiroKuro. 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Hand Discomfort
by Anna123. 06/26/19 02:52 PM
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt
by PHollis. 06/26/19 01:37 PM
Estonia Concert Grand
by LovingPianos. 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Ebony Sharps - how low is too low
by DougD. 06/26/19 12:34 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,726
Posts2,842,334
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission