2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
41 registered members (EPW, Craig Richards, AYS, ChrisGoesPiano, EssBrace, frankb, Frédéric L, claburo, Beowulf, florhof, 12 invisible), 278 guests, and 464 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? #2314764 08/12/14 11:24 PM
R
RX2Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
R
recently when i pop my grand piano lid open (or close it), it'll make very noisy squeaky noise. my husband said he can add some wd-40 to the hinges, but i'm little bit worried. what do you think?

i just have my piano tuned few months ago so it's not due for tuning for another few months..

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2314780 08/13/14 12:06 AM
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
WD-40 is more solvent than lubricant. It collects dust and doesn't last very long. Teflon spray lubricants are better, but don't spray anywhere near the piano. Close the lid, take the hinge pins out, wipe them clean, then spray them on a sheet of newspaper elsewhere, let them dry a while, and put them back in.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2314794 08/13/14 01:09 AM
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
J.S. is correct. WD-40 will work and in a piano hinge, it will last a long time but it will attract and hold dust which will eventually gunk up. Graphite, Silicone or Teflon "dry" lubricants are better choices. You can find teflon lubes in bottles with dripper, instead of spray, tips at bike shops.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2314815 08/13/14 02:20 AM
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I think WD40 can be dangerous for the finish of your piano (dependent on what finish it has of course).

Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: KurtZ] #2314816 08/13/14 02:21 AM
D
de cajon Offline
D
+1

WD stands for water dispersant. And that's that's the only thing it does well. It certainly does turn to gunk over time if not removed after use. Even some of the "teflon" ("PTFE") preparations you find, e.g., in bicycle shops have a lot of other stuff that turn to gunk as well.

Of the stuff you find in a typical store, silicone is probably the most reliable. Graphite is indeed also good; you can get it from good lock suppliers.

Last edited by de cajon; 08/13/14 02:22 AM. Reason: cross-post

Yamaha C3X SH
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2314862 08/13/14 06:08 AM
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
People like to freak out about WD-40, but if you put a tiny bit on a hinge pin, it will work to silence it, it won't attract all the dust in the room, or gunk up and all that jazz, and it needn't go all over the rest of your piano. All the hysteria makes me think people are very indiscriminate in the way they apply it. Sure there are better products for lubrication, but a little bit on a hinge will work in a pinch and won't lead to disaster.

Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2314886 08/13/14 07:19 AM
E
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
There is absolutely nothing on a piano that WD-40 is the best thing for. If this is the front lid hinge making all the noise, leave it alone, or at least, don't swing it up and down while someone is playing.

If it is the main lid, I suggest that the owner remove the hinge pins, one at a time, and swab some Vaseline on the pin with a Q-tip. It only takes the barest film to do all the work, and when pushed back in, it shouldn't have enough on the pin to scrape off. If concerned, the hinge pins can be pulled almost all the way out, leaving just enough to keep the hinge together. It isn't a high skill chore, it is just a hinge. fold a piece of thick paper over the case before going in with the Vise-grips and hammer, and tapping back in with a 12" piece of wood will keep the hammer from the pianner...

Also, I have heard a lot of new, high-gloss, poly-finished pianos that creak in numerous places, and if this is a finish squeak, oiling the hinges 'til it runs on the floor won't help quieten it. You will need talc or Teflon powder between the surfaces.
REgards,

Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2314899 08/13/14 07:55 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I suggest that you do nothing, and stop worrying about it. It is not a constant sound. It should not get worse as time goes on. It is more likely to get better by itself.

Is this the long piano hinge that folds the front of the top back, or the hinges that hold the lid to the piano? If it is the first, then you really should do nothing. You do not want anything to fall through them onto the strings. If it is the latter, you might try moving the hinge pins if they are L-shaped. Sometimes they will stop making noises if they are in a different position.

Semipro Tech
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2315028 08/13/14 01:21 PM
C
Carbonblob Offline
C
hey RX2,

Long time no see!

I can't remember where exactly where, or what forum I heard this but the caveat was; don't ever spray lubricants near your pin block, for obvious reasons.

I'm gonna go along with everyone else and suggest the teflon. My tech put the spray on my sliding music rack. It's lasted over a year (with a single application) and the rack practically flies off the piano when touch it. I would think a tiny application of teflon would be the solution for squeaky pins. The suggestion of reversing the pin was right on the money too.......blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: BDB] #2315042 08/13/14 02:35 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BDB
I suggest that you do nothing, and stop worrying about it. It is not a constant sound. It should not get worse as time goes on. It is more likely to get better by itself.
[...]

My thought, too, since it in no way interferes with the playing or the sound.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2315143 08/13/14 06:37 PM
S
Steve Ramirez Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by RX2Bunny
my husband said he can add some wd-40 to the hinges, but i'm little bit worried. what do you think?

There's not much I'd use this product for. Removing a rusted nut is about it. The strange thing is some guys love this stuff and will use it on everything. They drench things in it because the flow from the aerosol can is hard to control. It sounds like your hubby is one of those guys.

A dry squeaky hinge on your piano lid won't hurt anything. Nobody but your tech should apply any solvent or lubricant to your piano, and even some techs have been known to use products that cause problems.

Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2315454 08/14/14 10:44 AM
S
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

I would try cleaning it and putting it back in. The squeak is probably from an earlier WD-40 treatment, or do as BDB says, and leave it alone.

Steve

Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2316258 08/16/14 01:11 PM
J
Joe Garfield Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Most lubricants are petroleum based, and petroleum is bad for a lot of materials. A synthetic lubricant would be better. If you can take the hinge apart, something like Super Lube (has teflon) would be great. It's clear and odorless and synthetic. If you can't access the pin or inside the hinge, White Lithium Grease is an amazing lubricant (available in aerosol). You should give some to your hubby and tell him to use it in place of WD40, and watch the smile on his face when he does so smile White lithium grease is not synthetic but it plays nice with more materials than petroleum. It would be best to remove the hinge before spraying anything, otherwise put some towels behind it so you don't spray into the piano.

It would kill me to have a nice beautiful piano that squeaked every time I moved the lid.

Often people spray WD40 on door hinges. You can tell because you eventually see the dark streaks where product dripped out or over sprayed. I wouldn't want that near a piano.

Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2317507 08/19/14 09:12 PM
R
RX2Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
R
thanks all for your helpful suggestion! i was worried that it'd hurt the part if i don't do anything. but if noting will compromise, then i would do nothing and probably just wait for the next tuning :> i'm scared to fix it myself nor let my husband touch my precious piano lol

Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2851624 05/23/19 11:11 PM
V
vara411 Offline
V
What about a RATTLE in the lid hinge? Experiencing this with my new grand, whether the lid is in the fully closed position or down but open (to allow music stand to open). Even applying gentle pressure to the middle of the hinge makes it go away completely. Drives me nuts.

Last edited by vara411; 05/23/19 11:12 PM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: vara411] #2851629 05/24/19 12:17 AM
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vara411
What about a RATTLE in the lid hinge? Experiencing this with my new grand, whether the lid is in the fully closed position or down but open (to allow music stand to open). Even applying gentle pressure to the middle of the hinge makes it go away completely. Drives me nuts.

Is this a Grand Piano - or the N3X?

[If it's the N3X - might be best to ask on the "Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards" FORUM.]

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2851684 05/24/19 07:10 AM
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The best solution for a buzzing long hinge on the lid is Linseed oil, the type used as a natural oil finish on wood.

You apply a bead to the hinge at the gap where the material has been bent around. Be careful which gap - the alternating large gaps in most hinges are just a space between the two parts of the hinge. Look for the small gap where the edge of the hinge was bent around the pin. Apply a bead of Linseed oil to each one, then work the hinge many times to get it to work onto the hinge pin. Wipe off the excess, then lay the cleaning rag outside, spread out flat on the ground somewhere so the oil on the rag can dry. Balled up rags in the trash with linseed oil can start a fire, because linseed oil gets warm as it dries / hardens.

Linseed oil never gets completely hard, so it will stop the hinge buzzes permanently as long as enough works in on the hinge pin. Some people punch the hinge pin out 1/2 way and apply the oil that way, but it's not usually necessary and is a little difficult to do.

By the way, RX Bunny, this will also quiet down the squeak in your hinge. When the squeak is gone, you'll know the oil has made it in and is coating the pin. :-)

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2851716 05/24/19 08:37 AM
Rickster Offline
This is an older thread, but great advice throughout!

I've been told by highly experienced piano technicians that it is not good to spray WD-40 anywhere near an acoustic piano. Of course, that advice may be an over-abundance of caution, perhaps.. or, maybe not. smile

I have used WD-40 on the lower pedal mechanisms and the castor wheels of a piano before. But I would not use WD-40 anywhere near the tuning pins, pin-block or action. There are other lubricants specifically made for piano actions.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Squeaky noise from the lid hinges - WD40? [Re: RX2Bunny] #2852466 05/26/19 04:25 PM
MacMacMac Offline
WD40 is not a lubricant. If you need lubrication then use a lubricant.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,055
Posts2,927,347
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission