2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bett, Auraltuner, Alexander Acosta, calenadariel, accordeur, 1957, Burkey, anotherscott, 14 invisible), 366 guests, and 403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pianoteq- system requirements
Nordomus #2851573 05/23/19 06:59 PM
I don't think you would have anything problem as long as you pick something recent and reasonably decent.

For reference, I once ran Pianoteq 6 on a budget model Ubuntu laptop from 2015. It comes with AMD FX something CPU. This thing takes forever to boot, but it runs Pianoteq fine without any issue.

Also there are people who runs Pianoteq successfully on Raspberry Pi 3.

Nordomus #2851653 05/24/19 04:34 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hear reports--completely contradicting what I said before, obviously--that some people have had good Pianoteq results with a ZX Spectrum. Don't know how true they are though.
The rubber keys would put me off trying, anyway. Awful.

Nordomus #2934456 01/15/20 11:37 PM
T
T
I currently have pianoteq running on an old 2007 Sony Vaio SZ640 Core 2 Duo with a T7500 processor (2.2ghz), 3gb ram, 32-bit Windows 10, with a spinning hard drive using the built-in audio. Initially it was rock solid with ~8-10ms latency, but after playing around a little bit I can use the best settings without pops (Sample Rate of 48000Hz, Buffer = 64 Samples 1.3ms, Polyphony = Auto Optimistic).

Some tips with *old* PC hardware:
* If you computer can use a graphic chip/card instead of a intel graphics, use it. The Intel graphics shares memory and periodically and unpredictably accesses the hard drive and CPU. I was prone to spikes of activity (which caused red lines in Pianoteq) especially when I was under 5ms. (This Sony gives a choice between NVIDIA GeForce 8400 vs Intel GMA X3100)
* Turn off any unnecessary services when using Pianoteq. I'm basically using this laptop for Pianoteq exclusively (it's basically like a single-purpose Piano sound module for me), so with everything stable and installed, I turn off WiFi and even Windows Defender. Both of these cause intermittent processor spikes, particularly Windows Defender.
* ASIO4All - The default Windows Driver for the sound actually worked quite well (under 5ms reliably), but the free ASIO4All driver allowed me to go all the way down to 1.3ms)

I generally get a score of 39 with this laptop, despite its age. (it's getting close to 13 years old) There are probably a few other services I could shut down for even better efficiency.

My only complaint is that CPU usage while playing is in the 20-30% range and that activates the fan on the laptop. When I get around to it I'll see if I can modify the target temperature or fan speed so it has a slightly higher threshold.

technomaster #2934575 01/16/20 05:36 AM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by technomaster

* If you computer can use a graphic chip/card instead of a intel graphics, use it. The Intel graphics shares memory and periodically and unpredictably accesses the hard drive and CPU. I was prone to spikes of activity (which caused red lines in Pianoteq) especially when I was under 5ms. (This Sony gives a choice between NVIDIA GeForce 8400 vs Intel GMA X3100)

Not disputing it but is it really related to the onboard graphics? It looks more like a virtual memory thing, i.e. the system swapping memory pages to the HD and that must be a high priority task (bad design). I doubt the video graphics is mapped to the virtual memory system, usually a few tens of MB anyway versus several GB for the system memory.

Anyway, the first thing I do in my PCs is totally disabling Windows swap file. With 16GB I rarely experiment problems running my applications and you will not want other applications running anyway when you are using Pteq or any other virtual piano application.

I used to do the same with Linux when I used it natively (not in a virtual machine). In both cases (Win and Lin), for performance reasons.

Last edited by EVC2017; 01/16/20 05:39 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Nordomus #2934739 01/16/20 11:37 AM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
For more modern computers, the nVidia drivers can boost DPC latency, maybe due to bloatware, sloppy programming, etc.

Some of the music engineers at the GS forums completely uninstall nVidia drivers with DDU and prevent their systems from automatically reinstalling. Some claim better audio performance with just intel video drivers.

I used some software for a minimal install of nVidia drivers & also prevented the laptop from searching for auto updates.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,565
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission