2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (aphexdisklavier, clothearednincompo, drumour, dorfmouse, Alex.G, CyberGene, David B, chrisbell, 9 invisible), 464 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
Does anyone know if we could hope getting a Yamaha NU3-X with a full upright cabinet? I'm in love with my Roland LX708, and I was thinking that as an amateur, I might like to settle on an upright action for many years to come, but I don't want to spare brilliant sound. I'm currently used with Roland's setup of 8 speakers and with some nice woofers, so does anyone know some updates about Yamaha releasing something like that?

Sorry if I am offtopic!

You realize that the LX708 has a simulated grand piano action and not an upright action?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
T
Originally Posted by oneilt130
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

I will try to search for one out of curiosity, but I tested the Yamaha CLP 685 and I wasn't that impressed about how the sound was projecting, so I doubt the NU1-X will be better.

I'm looking for a sophisticated setup similar to what Roland is currently offering, so that you get the impression you are enveloped by sound(I think Yamaha N2 was in the same boat). Taken from Roland's speakers specs page:

Cabinet Speakers: 25 cm (9-7/8 inches) x 2 (with Speaker Box)
Near-field Speakers: (12 cm (4-3/4 inches) x 8 cm (3-3/16 inches)) x 2 (with Speaker Box)
Spatial Speakers: (12 cm (4-3/4 inches) x 8 cm (3-3/16 inches)) x 2
Spatial Speakers: 2.5 cm (1 inches) x 2 (Dome type)

Don't fall into the spec trap. Here is a link to a thread I started on that topic regarding the NU1X and others that you are looking at. You really need to try it out for yourself and see what you think. From my perspective the NU1X was the most immersive experience.

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. I hope I will be able to find one NU1X close, and if I will get the chance to play one, I will try to summarize what I felt smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Amazing news!! Now i have something to think about. I initially wanted a nu1x, but i won't spend such an amount of money on any piano with a flaw like that. So instead i bought a nice used U3, and while i love it more and more everyday as i get better at playing it, i still can't play it enough because of neighbours.

The Nu1x is now an option again. It's nice, still not as nice as an acoustic, and i would not like to trade in my U3 if it wasn't for my neighbour problem, but being able to always play it is so important that i might consider it.

So, only the Nu1x gets the update? No love for the older Nu1? That would suck for Nu1 owners.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
It would be good for you to test the NU1X thoroughly at the dealer.
Some members have indicated that it has been completely eradicated -and we all want that to be the case- but this is still a preliminary state. Once the instrument has been played for days (not just hours) by different people with different musical backgrounds we’ll have a more ‘conclusive’ report.
For example, one member indicated that the issue was not as prominent/frequent but to some extent the issue was still there.
Fingers crossed, it’s gone for good.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Oh im definitely in no hurry. I actually really want to keep my acoustic, and i have yet to look into options like sound isolation. Maybe the neighbour problem is (partly) fixable. But it's nice to know now the Nu1x option is there, and i will be testing it more at the dealer.

In my opinion the Nu1x is the best digital piano out there in a somewhat reasonable price range. (I don't care for the looks of all digital grands)

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
It would be good for you to test the NU1X thoroughly at the dealer.
Some members have indicated that it has been completely eradicated -and we all want that to be the case- but this is still a preliminary state. Once the instrument has been played for days (not just hours) by different people with different musical backgrounds we’ll have a more ‘conclusive’ report.
For example, one member indicated that the issue was not as prominent/frequent but to some extent the issue was still there.
Fingers crossed, it’s gone for good.

+1

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
I
I
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Originally Posted by iLogic
Originally Posted by Tyr
As far as i can tell: eradicated.

Originally Posted by oneilt130
ch more than the black?

It depends on the store. Traditionally the white version is always a bit more expensive. On musicstore.de the white version costs 4555 € and the ebony version 4390 €. My local dealer holds a white version for 4595 €, the black one is also at 4390 €.

Thanks for the link but the white version was rather pricey there, over 5000€. I’ve contacted a few retailers and asked for when they have them back in stock, but one already replied something in line with “God only knows when Yamaha supplies it again”

In Denmark, www.digitalpiano.dk claim that expected delivery is 2-3 days longer (but they don't directly say what they compare it to!) However the white version is 13% more expensive than the black version.

EDIT: Kirstein in Germany have it in stock (expensively):

https://www.kirstein.de/Digitalpian...z.html?userInput=nu1x&ignoreForCache[]=userInput&queryFromSuggest=true&ignoreForCache[]=queryFromSuggest

It was these guys that gave me that answer haha

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Maybe the neighbour problem is (partly) fixable.

The neighbor might be thinking of how to fix the "piano" problem next door! wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
grin

Neighbours, a flawed invention. When will an update with a fix be released for this problem...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
grin

Neighbours, a flawed invention. When will an update with a fix be released for this problem...

One way to fix the neighbour problem is of course to bluntly murder them. But I would advise caution before taking this step; murder is illegal in many jurisdictions, and although murdering people unappreciative of piano playing would obviously leave you on the moral high ground, there could be issues. Certainly it would be sensible to cover your tracks, should you pursue this option.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
grin

LOL. I am totally intimidated by the skill level displayed by my neighbor. She was hammering out some Rachmaninoff yesterday, she is an excellent player. Now that the weather is warmer, her windows are open, and our apartments are almost on the same level, but she’s in another building across an open courtyard.

When you live in a neighborhood in New York that’s full of musicians, this is what you get. I hope my classical guitar playing does not reach her ears. As for the piano, I’ll stick to headphones for a few more years.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/23/19 08:14 AM.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
#QuasiUnaFantasia

Of course i have considered this option, but the chance that it might leave me with worse neighbours and no piano at all puts me off.

C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Tyr. Noticed you’ve owned and no longer own th clp 685 and CA98. Clp 685 was on my list as was the cs11 which is basically the same as a CA98. Can you tell me what it was about the 685 and CA98 that did not work for you. Was it the sound through speakers or the action. Could you just give me a quick run down of what you did and didn’t like about them and why you chose the Nu1x ultimately.
Thank you for your time.

P
P
Played for an hour this morning before work, and as much as I tried, I could NOT get the loud note to sound.

So far, so good!

Tyr Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chantel
Hi Tyr. Noticed you’ve owned and no longer own th clp 685 and CA98. Clp 685 was on my list as was the cs11 which is basically the same as a CA98. Can you tell me what it was about the 685 and CA98 that did not work for you. Was it the sound through speakers or the action. Could you just give me a quick run down of what you did and didn’t like about them and why you chose the Nu1x ultimately.
Thank you for your time.

The CA-98 wasn't just for me. The soundboard didn't produced the sound i expected. There was no pressure in bass and the overall sound was boxy like using a tin can phone. Due to the soundboard, it isn't designed to play at low volume. The transducers need some power to get the soundboard swinging. Also the look wasn't very pleasant to me, but that's a minor issue. wink The key action was good. Later, after the purchase of the NV10 i realized, that the Kawai and their sound is simply not for me. There are several other issues like managing favorites etc. that bothered me but essentially , i wasn't happy with the sound production.

The CLP-685 is a different Story. The speaker setup is nice (better than CA98 or Novus imho) but it sounds not like its advertised (marketing blah blah). In comparison with the NU1X it sounds more digital and brighter. The key action is way heavier than the Grand Feel 2 in the CS11/CA98. It feels a little binary and uncomfortable. After a while it gets better when used to it but there is something strange in the feeling that will never go away. As i teased above, i wanted an NV10 and sold the CLP for it. Later i came back to Yamaha and had to choose between the NU1X and the CLP-685 again. I played both side by side and it was a no brainer which one i will buy (even with the loud note issue).

I don't needed a 16 track recorder or an led screen, layering voices or having dozens of voices i'll never use.

So it's up to you which features are a must. wink

Kawai Novus NV5 | Yamaha P-115
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | VI Labs: Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Keysuite Grand | Minigrand
C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
This is great thank you so much. I was feeling the same. Was kinda thinking the 685 was warmer sounding but I think the action will bother me. Kawai gets such great reviews but it just wasn’t for me. It felt and sounded like I was sitting at a digital more Thani was expecting. I’m going to buy the Nu1x.
Thank you so much.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
If we're talking about choosing between a a NU1X and any other non-hybrid digital piano (loud note issue aside), there's simply no contest here. The immediate impression from NU1 and NU1X after playing any Clavinova, or any other digital piano for that matter, was for me a WOW moment.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Before I bought my FP-30 I tried both the 685 and the NU1X. First I played the 685 for a while, feeling like I needed to use a sledge hammer to actually get the keys to move, and then I turned to the NU1X; that felt like being released from prison. What a difference! I seem to concur with others here: these two instruments, despite being priced somewhat similarly, cannot possibly aim at the same people. The NU1X is a joy, the 685 is a punishment.

Last edited by QuasiUnaFantasia; 05/23/19 10:12 AM.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
If we're talking about choosing between a a NU1X and any other non-hybrid digital piano (loud note issue aside), there's simply no contest here. The immediate impression from NU1 and NU1X after playing any Clavinova, or any other digital piano for that matter, was for me a WOW moment.

It seems like you still have feelings for the NU1X; an affair is a risky proposition at this junction because it could lead to a separation from the N1X and a reunion with your first true love: NU1X! wink

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by CyberGene

It seems like you still have feelings for the NU1X; an affair is a risky proposition at this junction because it could lead to a separation from the N1X and a reunion with your first true love: NU1X! wink

Meetings with old flames are always dangerous. This happened to me once when I was invited for a coffee... Only to have my then girlfriend, now wife find out, post facto... shocked shocked shocked

I recommend CyberGene put all thoughts of the NU1X firmly out of his mind for domestic peace of mind!

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
re-felting hammers
by tjazz - 04/18/21 09:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,084,002
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission