2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, EVC2017, 3 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2851402 05/23/19 09:40 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi, I am looking to buy a grand piano (of around 2m). I am a semi-professional classical pianist, living in Berlin. My budget is not so super high, unfortunately, so am looking for a good used one. I think I could use some advise in my search.

The sound I am looking for is difficult to put in words precisely. It should have a singing quality, depth and warmth. I tend to slightly prefer the more introvert-sounding piano's, but that is not to say there should not be clarity and openness in the sound - there definitely should.

First question: should I buy a modern or a restored old one?

Here in Germany, there are litterly loads of restored antique piano's on the market, from the eary 20th century, the 'golden age', as they are advertized. They are often sold for high prices, but I recently saw a Bechstein B from 1926 for around 13k. (Euros.)

The piano makers typically replace almost all of the interior and fill the cracks in the soundboard. But I have big reservations against buying such an old one. What are your opinions on this matter?

As far as modern grands go, Steinway is out of my league (the used ones, also the very old ones, start at around 30k here), but here are a few of the other brands that drew my interest:

-A 'modern' Bechstein B from 1972, still pretty old, and also completely renovated with Abel parts. Costs 18k.
-A Bösendorfer 200 from 1980, in original state, for 25k.
-Yamaha C6 from 2004, for 28k.
.Yamaha C5 from 1988, for 16k.

Any opinion on these brands, which could be a better choice? Would be nice to hear some thoughts on Bechstein vs Bösendorfer vs Yamaha.

Last edited by From Amsterdam; 05/23/19 09:47 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Each piano has to be evaluated on (a) how it appeals to you and (b) its physical condition and quality of any work done on the piano. You probably need to find a good tech to help you with (b). You listed many piano from very high level makers but I think it's almost impossible to make a recommendation until the condition of each piano is ascertained.

F
OP Offline
F
The problem is, all of the ones I mentioned stand in different corners of the country, far away from Berlin... It would take me days of driving to visit them, and I can't find a tech who'd be willing to join me. So I'd thought I first need to decide which could be the most interesting to consider visiting... : )

In Berlin and the East of Germany, the offer of good used modern grands is very limited, I guess because its much poorer than other parts of Germany.

Last edited by From Amsterdam; 05/23/19 09:58 AM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Each piano has to be evaluated on (a) how it appeals to you and (b) its physical condition and quality of any work done on the piano. You probably need to find a good tech to help you with (b). You listed many piano from very high level makers but I think it's almost impossible to make a recommendation until the condition of each piano is ascertained.

thumb +1
Since you have a particular sound you’re looking for in a piano, the very first thing to do is try each fully. Pick some pieces that use most of the full keyboard. Play the same selection of pieces for each. Take notes. Figure out your top two or three. Then have your independent tech do an analysis. Pick your favorite with a clean bill of health from the tech. Your piano will be your closest partner in your musical journey. You will be listening and playing for years to come, so you have to get a piano you love to play and that will be reliable between tunings.
Best of luck in your musical journey!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Maybe you are looking at too big a piece of the of the pie, and not the smaller portion that you could actually eat (strange analogy, I know:-).

If I were you, I believe I'd try to play as many of the pianos you mentioned as possible and then begin to narrow down the options and focus on what you liked best of the ones you tried. I remember when I played an older Yamaha C7 in poor condition at a large piano store in Atlanta, which they were still working on and had tools laying under and around the piano. The salesperson said they had just got the piano in on a trade and their technicians were working on it. They said I could play it, although they were still working on it. When I played it I liked it immediately, despite the fact it was old and the white key-tops were as yellow as daffodils in the early spring, I still liked it, a lot.

I didn't buy that one, even though they did give me a price, but I set my sights on a Yamaha C7. It narrowed down the field greatly of so many contenders. A few months later I found a used one being sold by a large Church. That is the one I bought and I've loved it ever since, and still do. And, I have no desire to upgrade because it would be hard to find one better at a price I could realistically afford. Yea, there are better ones out there, but there always is and always will be.

Focus on the piano/brand you like best and go from there... of course, anything you purchase used, rebuilt or otherwise, needs to be evaluated by a qualified piano tech.

Good luck and enjoy your search! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Why not begin with one of your many local dealers and see what they have in inventory for you to play? A quick search revealed at least a dozen or so of piano dealers in Berlin. Our local Steinway dealer always has a variety of used pianos and have the technicians to voice a piano your serious about to suit your needs. I purchased my Charles Walter at my local Steinway dealer and with the help of a friend who is an incredibly talented pianist, I was able to let their techs understand what I needed prepped before I purchased.
For someone who is a professional such as yourself, I would agree with the previous posts that your should play as many pianos as possible. When you find "the one" it will sing to you.
Good luck,
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
S
S
maybe look up a tech in the city of the piano you are interested in. Call him/her and request he/she inspect the piano. Of the pianos you list, I personally see the Bosendofer as typically the most introverted but in 40 years who knows what has happened to these pianos (maybe nothing, maybe something traumatic).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Maybe you are looking at too big a piece of the of the pie, and not the smaller portion that you could actually eat (strange analogy, I know:-).

If I were you, I believe I'd try to play as many of the pianos you mentioned as possible and then begin to narrow down the options and focus on what you liked best of the ones you tried. I remember when I played an older Yamaha C7 in poor condition at a large piano store in Atlanta, which they were still working on and had tools laying under and around the piano. The salesperson said they had just got the piano in on a trade and their technicians were working on it. They said I could play it, although they were still working on it. When I played it I liked it immediately, despite the fact it was old and the white key-tops were as yellow as daffodils in the early spring, I still liked it, a lot.

I didn't buy that one, even though they did give me a price, but I set my sights on a Yamaha C7. It narrowed down the field greatly of so many contenders. A few months later I found a used one being sold by a large Church. That is the one I bought and I've loved it ever since, and still do. And, I have no desire to upgrade because it would be hard to find one better at a price I could realistically afford. Yea, there are better ones out there, but there always is and always will be.

Focus on the piano/brand you like best and go from there... of course, anything you purchase used, rebuilt or otherwise, needs to be evaluated by a qualified piano tech.

Good luck and enjoy your search! smile

Rick

+1. Sound advice from Rick as usual!

[Linked Image]
Why not call my friend in Berlin: Klavierbaumeister Martin Salmen?
Martin is highly competent, very pleasant and totally honest guy.
He may be helpful to give you advice and even some leads you may appreciate:
https://www.salmen-berlin.de/?alias=
Say Hi from Norbert in Canada! smile
Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 05/23/19 03:21 PM.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission