Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
49 registered members (ando, cagal, dhull100, Dfrankjazz, Charades, Chrispy, AB99, 12 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 622 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 118 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 117 118
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851373 05/23/19 07:08 AM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My youngest daughter and her husband will be in Tokyo this summer. <envy>

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851376 05/23/19 07:12 AM
C
Csillag Offline
C
I was in Tokyo, Hamamatsuchō in April, but only for two days. Interestingly, there was a Roland showroom nearby, but they only had 3D printers, no pianos. I couldn't find anything Kawai or Yamaha nearby...

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851380 05/23/19 07:16 AM
C
Csillag Offline
C
Also, the cost of the hotel was around $60 / night... nowhere near $1000. And it was a decent place. I could even see Tokyo Tower from my window.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Csillag] #2851383 05/23/19 07:36 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
My wife’s standard response these days is that she’d rather spend money on a trip than on material possessions, so I guess that does not bode well for any piano upgrades in the future.

How do we end up with wives like this? A few years ago, my wife ended up with a pair of shoes which cost almost as much as my new piano. cry Her only explanation? She was feeling a bit depressed. BTW, I still think of those as the million dollar shoes right now when I see them. Why? Because she sold a bunch of Bitcoins at $12.50/each to buy them. I don't need to remind you of the current value of those Bitcoins she sold. LOL. (I think this in my head but dare not voice it to her! LOL)

Originally Posted by Csillag
Also, the cost of the hotel was around $60 / night... nowhere near $1000. And it was a decent place. I could even see Tokyo Tower from my window.

That is outrageously cheap. It wasn't one of these?

[Linked Image]

I can't remember the last hotel in a major world city I stayed in which was under $100 per night. Haven't been able to do that in at least 15 years.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851384 05/23/19 07:38 AM
Kawai James Offline
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Yes, business but I bookended the meeting with a couple of vacation days.

My wife likes Tokyo but I think it's an expensive place to visit for a vacation. On a last trip a few years ago, she was trying to explain to me how $1000+ a night is a normal hotel rate there and I wasn't buying it! LOL

I hear Tokyo’s host bars can get pretty pricey...

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851385 05/23/19 07:38 AM
C
Csillag Offline
C

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851386 05/23/19 07:40 AM
C
Csillag Offline
C
And just to clarify: even though I did leave my wife behind for this trip, no host bars were involved.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Kawai James] #2851389 05/23/19 07:46 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Yes, business but I bookended the meeting with a couple of vacation days.

My wife likes Tokyo but I think it's an expensive place to visit for a vacation. On a last trip a few years ago, she was trying to explain to me how $1000+ a night is a normal hotel rate there and I wasn't buying it! LOL

I hear Tokyo’s host bars can get pretty pricey...

Well, since it was my wife's trip, I thought I was on solid ground as I don't think that Japanese have advanced to the stage where there are host bars for female patrons. But as a resident of Japan, perhaps you can tell me I'm wrong! shocked

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851394 05/23/19 07:56 AM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

It's like having an MRI. Given how often patients flee the imaging room when they see the machine, I wonder how many people discover that their latent claustrophobia isn't so latent in this place.

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/23/19 07:57 AM.
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Csillag] #2851397 05/23/19 08:03 AM
A
ando Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Yeah, that's pretty good value. To be honest, you'd have to be a dinosaur booking through a travel agency to be finding only $1000 a night hotels. Well, either that or you are intent on 4 star jobs and luxury with 24/7 room-service. But agencies aren't how you do it these days. It's all online. All of the major hotel booking sites will get you a perfectly respectable room in most cities, and not too far from the action, for <$150. If everybody who went to Tokyo were really paying $1000 a night, they would have a very poor tourism industry.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851399 05/23/19 08:22 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
My wife’s standard response these days is that she’d rather spend money on a trip than on material possessions, so I guess that does not bode well for any piano upgrades in the future.

How do we end up with wives like this? A few years ago, my wife ended up with a pair of shoes which cost almost as much as my new piano. cry Her only explanation? She was feeling a bit depressed. BTW, I still think of those as the million dollar shoes right now when I see them. Why? Because she sold a bunch of Bitcoins at $12.50/each to buy them. I don't need to remind you of the current value of those Bitcoins she sold. LOL. (I think this in my head but dare not voice it to her! LOL

I don’t know, I suppose it could be worse. My wife tends towards funky vintage dresses and shoes that are not cheap but not outrageously expensive, like Arche from France.

I spent the last year or so working on an iPhone app dedicated to women’s fashion. The number of choices in women’s clothing, shoes, and bags is truly staggering. To my dismay, the founder pulled the app out of the store to pursue other business prospects.

At one point, I was trying to call myself a minimalist, after being inspired by the work of the British architect, John Pawson. That was a failure, I found that I cannot live in an empty room. My wife has not let me forget that episode in my life.

I can’t help but laugh at the people who threw out old computers that had bitcoin on them and are undergoing hypnosis to try to remember the passwords.

I just hope I have enough cash to make it to the end and that my last MasterCard bill puts my checking account balance at zero. One of my friends told me that his uncle said to him, son, if there is any money left it means my last MasterCard bill has not cleared.

I believe the Japanese designate the last part of a person’s life as a time to get rid of all possessions and to wander in the mountains, trying to make some sense of it all. Takemitsu wrote an evocative piece for the classical guitar entitled In the Woods, in which he contemplates his impending death.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/23/19 08:24 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851400 05/23/19 08:27 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G

Tokyo is a lot like any major metro in that regard. You have a range of options. You can stay at the Park Hyatt (which is wonderful BTW) or any number of hard to find/unlabeled ryokons, and have an amazing time just a stop or two away on the subway line. I thought the best "reasonable cost with good space/quality accommodations" were probably the Ibis hotels. When we last stayed they opened the roof deck at night for a New Year's celebration and it pretty amazing seeing a sea of people push through the streets (laser pointer beams flashing everywhere and small drones flying around in the sky like it was 2050).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851401 05/23/19 08:33 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
I believe they did a study in the US and found that you’re paying more for lower bacterial counts in more expensive hotel rooms. You’re paying for the level of cleanliness. Not a pleasant thought, but there it is. Perhaps it is better in Japan.

I pay $100/night for a room in some out of the way suburb in the US. I could probably pay $50/night but I am afraid of contracting the plague.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851410 05/23/19 08:57 AM
MacMacMac Offline
Don't kid yourself. Even the top hotels have bed bugs. And don't ever bring a UV lamp with you. You won't want to discover what's on the walls.

Sure, high price brings nicer looks and amenities.
But cleanliness? My associates in the "hospitality" industry suggest otherwise.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851413 05/23/19 08:58 AM
P
Peddler100 Offline
P
Ok... this thread has officially gone completely off the rails.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
Formerly known as oneilt130
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: MacMacMac] #2851419 05/23/19 09:06 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Don't kid yourself. Even the top hotels have bed bugs. And don't ever bring a UV lamp with you. You won't want to discover what's on the walls.

Sure, high price brings nicer looks and amenities.
But cleanliness? My associates in the "hospitality" industry suggest otherwise.

I never mentioned bedbugs. It looks like three star hotels are the best bet, as far as cleanliness but bring along some sanitary wipes to all hotel rooms.

https://www.travelmath.com/feature/hotel-hygiene-exposed/

“A cut above the basic one- and two-star accommodations, three-star hotels tend to offer well-appointed rooms, with limited service offerings. Interestingly, for our study, the three-star hotels appear the least germ-ridden. For instance, the dirtiest surface in a three-star hotel room, the bathroom counter contained an average of only 320,000 CFU/sq. in. – around eight times less than a four-star hotel room and three times fewer than a five-star hotel room.”

And, yes, we’re off the rails. None of the hotels I’ve stayed in had a piano in lobby, not even an N1X. Whew, brought it back to the topic.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/23/19 09:12 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851421 05/23/19 09:09 AM
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
That is not a normal hotel rate for most of us. There are plenty of hotel rooms at $1000, typically in overpriced western branded hotels, that are sometimes inconveniently located. I always see these hotels filled with foreigners travelling on business accounts or holiday via points. $15 for a coffee lol. So IME, not many "guests" are paying $1000 out of their own pockets.

Don't get me wrong, these hotels are impressive but they are terrible value, particularly compared to the culture, art, shopping and cuisine Tokyo has on offer.

I believe they did a study in the US and found that you’re paying more for lower bacterial counts in more expensive hotel rooms. You’re paying for the level of cleanliness. Not a pleasant thought, but there it is. Perhaps it is better in Japan.
Regular Japanese people traveling to Tokyo stay in $100 business hotels that are littered at virtually every street corner. They are very clean and very small. The bathrooms look like they are assembled in an off-site factory and there is usually not enough room for the small sink.

This is where you want to stay as it is only good for showering and sleeping. Just be within the Yamanote circular train so you can get around easily by subway/train. Get out and enjoy the city!

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851440 05/23/19 10:09 AM
MacMacMac Offline
I'd expect a LOT from a $1000 hotel room.
So just what extras do they offer for that price? Or are you suggesting that you don't get much ... except the illusion of prestige?

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: MacMacMac] #2851480 05/23/19 11:40 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I'd expect a LOT from a $1000 hotel room.
So just what extras do they offer for that price? Or are you suggesting that you don't get much ... except the illusion of prestige?

I think what one gets for money is dependent on the location. I don't think my wife got much more than a five star hotel in any other city in the world, which would have gone for half the price.

I happen to know due to a recent transaction cry that for 550 euros/day one gets a two bedroom private villa in Bali that has a private pool and opens out on the best beach in Bali, and comes with breakfast in bed from 24x7 dedicated staff to cater to one's needs. In London, this rack-rate would get me a rather normal, non-suite room in a 5-star hotel with concierge service. Who was it that said "location, location, location?"

[Linked Image]

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2851481 05/23/19 11:42 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
To get back on topic, in the NU1X update thread, CyberGene mentioned the automatic key velocity calibration feature of the N1X. Is that feature written up somewhere? I am wondering how it works. Does it use non-volatile memory to "remember" it's most recent calibration data?

[Linked Image]

Page 48 of 118 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 117 118

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K18
by J20 - 01/24/20 06:04 PM
What pieces do you think I have the abilities for?
by iaintagreatpianist - 01/24/20 04:02 PM
Free Westwood Felt piano VST
by sleutelbos - 01/24/20 02:20 PM
serious problem with Clavinova clp635
by saeedrff - 01/24/20 02:10 PM
Brahms Op. 21 no 1 for audition
by D959 - 01/24/20 11:40 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,491
Posts2,916,767
Members95,719
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission