Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
104 registered members (Carey, BeeZee4, achoo42, Chewbacca, AYS, Bobby Simons, CHAS, 24 invisible), 1,431 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? #2851056
05/22/19 09:59 AM
05/22/19 09:59 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline OP
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline OP

5000 Post Club Member

TL;DR: What has worked for you to maintain a rare streak of spectacular practice days, when that has occurred for you?

KevinM posted a very nice thread called "An off night" about those days when nothing seems to work. We've all had them. But this thread is about the opposite. Those days when everything seems to click and we make astounding progress.

I, myself, am currently in a two-day streak after a rather discouraging slow-down triggered by a pinky injury 5 weeks ago.

Even before this injury, things had started to slow down. The units toward the end of my method book were each taking longer than the last to get done. It seemed like learning repertoire was taking longer. My fingers were feeling a bit dumber day-by-day.

Then on Monday, everything changed. The repertoire piece I was assigned in my morning lesson, which in the past probably would have been good for 2-3 weeks, ended up getting a first draft end-to-end video recording at something like 80% of performance tempo after less than 90 minutes of practice on Monday. cool I blasted through half of the penultimate unit of my method book in single day, making good recordings of all the pieces covered. cool And now, today is day 3.

I'm entering day 3 with some trepidation. I haven't yet practiced today. And I'm a little worried that everything will revert to how it was before. eek And then the streak will be over. cry

So this thread is about how to maintain a practice streak not of practicing every day (I have an unbroken streak of practice days since Christmas 2018 thumb ), but better than normal practices - in fact spectacular practice sessions. I'm not talking about just 'good' - statistically, all of us should have 50% of our practice days be just good. I'm talking about those rarer 98th percentile days - the ones where everything just clicks and you suddenly feel like you know how to play the piano!

What has worked for you to keep up the momentum if and when you've been blessed with this sort of streak of superb practice days occurring for you?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851065
05/22/19 10:33 AM
05/22/19 10:33 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
TL, DR lol jk

I wish I knew.....it's been a while since I've had one of those days! Just make sure you're getting enough sleep, as sleep really helps solidify those gains.

Once in a while things click, and you realize you're better than you were before. You're doing it right though, with your lessons and gradual progression through the early levels. These seeds you're planting will grow strong roots and sturdy trees (like that metaphor?).

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions (in a not quite random order)

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851067
05/22/19 10:38 AM
05/22/19 10:38 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
You can’t keep it up. CMB is right about sleep but I will also add keep stress levels low ( easier said than done)
Otherwise you’re just gonna have to ride the wave Without falling off the surfboard😊

Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851075
05/22/19 10:56 AM
05/22/19 10:56 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Well, my advice would be to try to stop grading your practice sessions and stop measuring your progress.

Just spend your time at the piano enjoying yourself with some practice and some playing or working on repertoire.

You know what to do. Just do it and go on with the rest of your day.

Playing the piano is not something you have to attain a particular level of expertise in given period of time.

Do it as an activity as part of your day or week.

You will get as good as you get and that will have to be good enough.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851169
05/22/19 02:15 PM
05/22/19 02:15 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline

Canada
Quick off the cuff thoughts:
When it clicks .... depending on the click ..... I want to know why it clicked. What did I do? Then I can repeat that thing which made it click, to bring it into long term memory, and also to get those new synapses forming through mindful repetition. You may find that on day 5, and thing is there solidly, because you have now achieved this kind of familiarity. It will not be there on day 2, even though it was there on day 1, because familiarity cannot form that fast. It may not be there on day 3. Knowing this, don't have expectations, or you'll get disturbed or panicked or discouraged --- just trust that a thing will happen, do it, and let go.

I have an impossible workload so can't write more.

Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851180
05/22/19 02:34 PM
05/22/19 02:34 PM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Then on Monday, everything changed. The repertoire piece I was assigned in my morning lesson, which in the past probably would have been good for 2-3 weeks, ended up getting a first draft end-to-end video recording at something like 80% of performance tempo after less than 90 minutes of practice on Monday. cool I blasted through half of the penultimate unit of my method book in single day, making good recordings of all the pieces covered. cool And now, today is day 3.

I'm entering day 3 with some trepidation. I haven't yet practiced today. And I'm a little worried that everything will revert to how it was before. eek And then the streak will be over. cry

So this thread is about how to maintain a practice streak

Such a wonderful experience! But the streak will pass. My advice is just to be happy that you had this experience, and not to bother with what happens next. Otherwise the risk is that a tension will creep in.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851186
05/22/19 02:48 PM
05/22/19 02:48 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Just enjoy the experience. You must be on a piece that reflects your current abilities. Ha, I wouldn’t share it with your teacher quite yet..they may up the ante on the next piece! Well done.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851187
05/22/19 02:51 PM
05/22/19 02:51 PM
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

Don’t click the video if a little adult language will bother you.

Also, coming from a sports background, the number one rule of a streak is that you don’t talk about the streak until it’s over.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851204
05/22/19 03:41 PM
05/22/19 03:41 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
I've never been able to sustain a streak for more than a day or two. There are just too many variables that pinning it down to one or two or three that you can actually control is near impossible. And then there's that niggling voice over your shoulder: was it as good as you thought it was?? Even so, I do savor them when they occur.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: John305] #2851207
05/22/19 03:53 PM
05/22/19 03:53 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by John305
Don’t click the video if a little adult language will bother you.

Also, coming from a sports background, the number one rule of a streak is that you don’t talk about the streak until it’s over.

lol!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: keystring] #2851208
05/22/19 03:55 PM
05/22/19 03:55 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by keystring
Quick off the cuff thoughts:
When it clicks .... depending on the click ..... I want to know why it clicked. What did I do? Then I can repeat that thing which made it click, to bring it into long term memory, and also to get those new synapses forming through mindful repetition. You may find that on day 5, and thing is there solidly, because you have now achieved this kind of familiarity. It will not be there on day 2, even though it was there on day 1, because familiarity cannot form that fast. It may not be there on day 3. Knowing this, don't have expectations, or you'll get disturbed or panicked or discouraged --- just trust that a thing will happen, do it, and let go.

Good point! Speaking to an analytic person, (TS), you can bet he'll perform this multivariate regression analysis to get to the bottom of it.

Originally Posted by keystring
.....I have an impossible workload so can't write more.

Perfect amount! wink

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851257
05/22/19 07:59 PM
05/22/19 07:59 PM
Connecticut, USA
MichaelJK Online content

MichaelJK  Online Content

Connecticut, USA
It's a great feeling when things seem to click. And then it feels awful when they stop clicking.

I've noticed two patterns in my own practicing:

Number 1:

It's worth being aware that feeling great about your practicing doesn't necessarily mean that you are playing better. At the same time, feeling awful about your practicing doesn't necessarily mean that you are playing worse.

Sometimes your feelings have nothing to do with how well things are actually going. Maybe you're just having a bad day. Or a great day.

That's one aspect of it.

Number 2:

Another is that sometimes things really do click. And when you notice that you can do something you never could do before...yay!

But then it gets old. You get used to your new abilities and forget what it used to be like. So, human nature being what it is, you start wanting MORE.

So, the better you get, the less satisfied you are.

Try to just take each day as it comes. Do it for the love of music and the love of practicing. Trust that you are learning at the pace you should be learning at, and that if something really does slip out of your grasp, it means you weren't ready for it yet.

Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851260
05/22/19 08:17 PM
05/22/19 08:17 PM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
I'm just recovering from the downturn after my spring streak. Said streak lasted about a month or six weeks. I'd have to go back to my notes to check exactly. But I love that Bull Durham video above because that same movie has her voice over something like, "For one magical summer the Bulls played like major league-ers." I paraphrase, but it's been that spring for me and when it ended I was a little down, but I'm getting my groove back this week.

What happened? Several weeks of going double speed through my method books, and other materials, everything seemed possible, my fingers were sure and steady, memory coughed up what I needed on demand, practice was a joy, much progress was made...

And then we all know it ends. Why is probably that I caught up to my technical limits.

What brought it on in the first place? It might have been:

I'd recently slowed my practice tempos across the board
I had very clear goals for each piece/lesson/exercise before I sat down to the piano
I liked the music I was playing
I had time to listen to a lot of piano music during the day
There was a lot of piece turn over that kept my motivation high day after day
I found a new way to practice the "middle" of the work, that part between learning the notes and polishing.

We say, "all of the above" in our household. Could be any one or all, but methodically repeating them doesn't bring on a streak, sadly.

Magic touched me for a brief time and now I can only put in the work and diligence that I can so that if magic drifts back through someday I'll be ready.

but think how good I could be in five years...
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851313
05/23/19 02:47 AM
05/23/19 02:47 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
Like others have said, just enjoy it while it lasts grin It can be discouraging when a streak like this passes, but it gets better when you remember that the learning process - of pretty much anything - isn't linear. We don't steadily progress until we're there, it always evolves in leaps and bounds alternating with periods where nothing much seems to improve (or even seems to go the opposite way).

Remembering that I'm not really stalling, that I'm laying the groundwork for the next "leap", helps me get through those phases. And the days when everything just flows and I think, "hey, I'm not all bad after all!" are pure joy.

Last edited by Sibylle; 05/23/19 02:49 AM.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851352
05/23/19 06:49 AM
05/23/19 06:49 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
I have found that is mainly a question of memory. My natural tendency is to remember things that go wrong and forget things that go right. I have no idea if that is general or just me. If I have a serendipitous moment the internal response goes, "Oh thank goodness, I don't need to worry about that any more." If I make a mistake it says, "That's no good, I'd better work on that." And in the latter case, I do think about it and work on it, and it embeds itself into memory. In the former case, on the other hand, memory doesn't get a chance and by the next morning it has gone, completely forgotten, a vague recollection at best.

Fortunately, the answer is simple but requires interrupting the ecstasy, repeating the lucky bit enough times to allow memory to take hold, and preferably leaving a written note about it for the next session. This circumvents the exasperating feeling of realising a discovery had been made somewhere or other but being unable to recollect exactly what it was, a sensation I had regularly when I was of a lazier disposition.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Ted] #2851601
05/23/19 10:19 PM
05/23/19 10:19 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Ted
I have found that is mainly a question of memory. My natural tendency is to remember things that go wrong and forget things that go right. I have no idea if that is general or just me.

I am just like you, but it does not seem to be very common.

Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851614
05/23/19 11:01 PM
05/23/19 11:01 PM
Cali
Terry Michael Online content
Terry Michael  Online Content

Cali
Pardon my ignorance, I don’t know what a TL and DR is (maybe your post is directed at certain people) but I’ll throw in my 2 cents.

What makes nearly ALL of my practice sessions ‘click’ started when I became a very avid “LISTENER “. I’m very surprised at how long this took me. I guess it’s because playing piano occupies a lot of different tasks. We are concerned that we’re not posturing properly. Are we playing at the correct speed? Am I holding that note LONG enough, etc, etc.

But when I started seriously listening to what I just played and zeroed in on something I felt was off, instead of just acknowledging it as being off and continuing on I would STOP and analyze what I’d just heard. Ok, so my pedaling is off just enough that it’s blending those last two chords together. And I seem to be doing that ALL the time. So let’s WORK on JUST that so my muscle memory and my brain will make those distinct chords. And I’ll practice just that. Again and again always LISTENING very closely, almost like (it’s hard to explain) someone else is playing it.

When I got good at that, my practice sessions started clicking ALL the time and I advanced very quickly in learning and playing those pieces in far less time than it normally would take.

TH
[Linked Image]
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851616
05/23/19 11:15 PM
05/23/19 11:15 PM
Maine
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Maine
TL;DR identifies a summary of a long post. It stands for “too long; didn’t read”, which might be the reaction of some erstwhile readers if there wasn’t a summary.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: dmd] #2851665
05/24/19 05:47 AM
05/24/19 05:47 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Originally Posted by dmd
Well, my advice would be to try to stop grading your practice sessions and stop measuring your progress.

Just spend your time at the piano enjoying yourself with some practice and some playing or working on repertoire.

You know what to do. Just do it and go on with the rest of your day.

Playing the piano is not something you have to attain a particular level of expertise in given period of time.

Do it as an activity as part of your day or week.

You will get as good as you get and that will have to be good enough.

Good Luck

+1. Exactly this

Consolation No.2 E maj, F.Liszt
Nocturne C# minor, FChopin
Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: All of a sudden, it 'clicks': Now how to sustain it? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2851686
05/24/19 08:17 AM
05/24/19 08:17 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I think having these moments when things start to "click" are really important and encouraging. I get excited when a difficult passage I've been struggling with for weeks finally starts to come together - but I know it's the result of the previous weeks of concentrated effort. For a beginner, getting to this point can take a long time (a year or two or even longer) for things to begin to settle and things you used to have to focus on start to become automatic.

How to sustain it? I don't think this is something you will lose unless you have a big gap in your practicing. However, the music does get harder, and so new challenges need to be tackled and it may appear as though you "lost it", but really you've jumped to a new level.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A YouTube Channel That Has Really Helped Me
by writebynight. 08/18/19 05:31 PM
Repertoire for Warm Up
by cmb13. 08/18/19 04:11 PM
Fallboard not as slow as it used to be
by doremi. 08/18/19 03:55 PM
A Theoretical MIDI Question (or Two....)
by newbert. 08/18/19 03:28 PM
Best cheapest hydraulic piano bench
by Abdol. 08/18/19 03:00 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,610
Posts2,860,173
Members94,184
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission