2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kj85 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Found this video while looking for information on the Casio CDP S100.

The guy is testing the following five slab/portable DPs blindfolded.

• Korg Kronos 2
  • Roland RD-2000
  • Yamaha Montage 8
  • Casio CDP-S100
  • Nord Piano 4

TL;DW

His scores based on a combination of the action and the piano sound:

• Korg Kronos 2 - 7.0
  • Roland RD-2000 - 8.0
  • Yamaha Montage 8 - 7.5
  • Casio CDP-S100 - 8.5
  • Nord Piano 4 - 9.5

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Already posted here. IMO, a silly comparison. Fun but silly.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
R
R
This comparsion is stupid for me.

First of all, it should be compared: the top stage pianos only or the top workstations only or budget pianos only. If he wanted to compare stage pianos, he could to use Grandstage instead of Kronos. CP4 or CP88 instead of Montage. Casio could be compared with FP30 or P125 at least.
BTW, where is Kawai MP7SE/11SE, Kurzweil Forte, Dexibell S9?

However, I completely can't understand this guy, who is probably well experienced on stage and he is assessing the cheap budget Casio as a sound on 8.5! Does he already deaf by too much decibels?
The leader himself and his typical clown behaviour, suited to some of stupid TV standups - I hate this! Nice and really funny show I prefer to watch when I want to watch it but not when I'm expecting a substantive test. Look at Tony's comparison tests from Bonners Music and compare to this "boy". 100% sensible presentation of Tony.

Andertons presentations - no thanks!

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
K
kj85 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Already posted here. IMO, a silly comparison. Fun but silly.

It has educational value in that once you close your eyes and are no longer influenced by brand names and pricing, you never know what sounds and feels "good" to you.

That said, the test could have been a bit more ordered as well as comprehensive.

K
kj85 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by RichieBill
100% sensible presentation of Tony.

I agree! I have watched a lot of his videos.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
+1

Tony does a great job.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kj85
100% sensible presentation of Tony.

I agree! I have watched a lot of his videos.

And I met him person. He is just the same as in the videos. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Did me a great deal when I realised after 6 weeks I had bought the wrong keyboard and wanted to upgrade. (to Kawai CA 67).

[Linked Image]

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
This comparsion is stupid for me.

First of all, it should be compared: the top stage pianos only or the top workstations only or budget pianos only. If he wanted to compare stage pianos, he could to use Grandstage instead of Kronos. CP4 or CP88 instead of Montage. Casio could be compared with FP30 or P125 at least.
BTW, where is Kawai MP7SE/11SE, Kurzweil Forte, Dexibell S9?

However, I completely can't understand this guy, who is probably well experienced on stage and he is assessing the cheap budget Casio as a sound on 8.5! Does he already deaf by too much decibels?
The leader himself and his typical clown behaviour, suited to some of stupid TV standups - I hate this! Nice and really funny show I prefer to watch when I want to watch it but not when I'm expecting a substantive test. Look at Tony's comparison tests from Bonners Music and compare to this "boy". 100% sensible presentation of Tony.

Andertons presentations - no thanks!

HI RB,

I think these were being played through monitors and sound/action is a subjective thing anyway. What he prefers is not necessarily meaningful to others just because he can play a bit. Also don't forget that Casio are good value for money and that is their business model: innovation at cost. Maybe the Casio has a nice action and sound. Others have told me that the Casio CDP-S100 sounds rubbish through it's own speakers, so maybe the monitors make it sound a tonne better. Piano Man Chuck also thinks the new Casio sound engine is pretty good, so it is possible that we underestimate the Casio CDP-S100 just because of its price?

Jordan Rudess plays the Kronos despite it's action being less nuanced than other boards---maybe he just likes how the Korg RHIII feels? Does it mean this is the best action just because Rudess might think so? I haven't played the new Casio actions yet. Maybe they are really nice, maybe not.

Totally agree that the instrument set for comparison wasn't ideal. Maybe they didn't have other instruments available lol. I din't think there is anything persay wrong with comparing workstations with stage pianos for sound/action as it's good to hear what's going on in the workstation world and how it compares to the stage piano market. However, I do like to see all competitor boards in the same test.

His style is fun clown whereas Tony is more serious. I guess that's surface in terms of how the instruments sound.
Anyhow, unless you're unable to test the instruments you're interested in, these videos are just trailers for the store test right---a bit of fun!

Kind regards,

Doug

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
M
M
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Jordan Rudess plays the Kronos despite it's action being less nuanced than other boards---maybe he just likes how the Korg RHIII feels? Does it mean this is the best action just because Rudess might think so? I haven't played the new Casio actions yet. Maybe they are really nice, maybe not.

I remember that Jordan Rudess said in an interview that is has a Casio Privia in the backstage to do the warm-up. I never heard him say that Kronos has the best action but he said many times that he choose this model because he can do almost everything with it on stage and does not need to carry a lot of keyboards.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MarioPf
I never heard him say that Kronos has the best action but he said many times that he choose this model because he can do almost everything with it on stage and does not need to carry a lot of keyboards.

I imagine a professional (gigging) stage keyboardist has a very different set of priorities than a focused home/concert pianist? The former needs to get a job done in a variety of conditions/environments with a variety of different voices. The latter may be more focused on the most convincing/nuanced acoustic piano feel/tone. This seems to inform Yamaha's design decisions on their new CP88/73 stage pianos.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission