2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hey!

New guy here! Greetings from Finland!

Just bought a used Roland FP-30 to our home! I like the piano action, but not that much the sound. I have iPhone 7, so I decided that I will get the Ravenscroft 275 iOS app. So I have few question about connecting my iPhone to FP-30. If I just buy Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, is it enough for:

1. Getting the Ravenscroft app sound out of the FP-30 speakers, headphone jack & line out? Only connecting the usb cable to the iPhone. Basically does it send data back and forth? Or is it so in this scenario that I will hear the sound only from my iPhone speakers?

2. Or do I need a proper audio interface for this?

3. Can you recommend a solution for me? So I want to use the sound of the Ravenscroft app on the FP-30 with its own speakers and also with headphones. I just want to know is there any easy way? I know there is Bluethooth, but I don’t trust the latency in that case, so I will probably rule it out, or am I wrong?

I appreciate if someone would help me out. I’m not very good at tech and this is very new to me.

Cheers,

Jack

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You cannot route any external audio through the FP30’s speakers; it has no AUX Input and the USB connection only transmits MIDI / data.

To listen to the Ravenscroft 275 iOS app, you need to connect speakers or headphones to the iPhone 7.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jack Hubert
If I just buy the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter ...

The USB adapter lets the FP30 control the Ravenscroft 275 iOS app. But there is a technical problem; the iPhone 7 has no headphone jack - the lightning port is used for both USB MIDI and audio.

We are the music makers,
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is one solution:

We are the music makers,
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you for the answer Groove On!

It is a shame that FP-30 own speakers cannot be used with the 275 ios. It is practical to use them, because we have only a little space for the piano in our living room, so external speakers are always taking the space. Your answer clarified some facts, so I will probably get the audio interface and try it that way. The video you posted was helpful! smile

Jack

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you really want a simpler setup (and who doesn’t?), you could try a piano that supports ‘Audio over USB’; it allows a single USB cable to route Audio & MIDI between the Piano and computer/tablet/phone. No need for an extra hub or external audio interface just One Cable To Rule Them All. It’s not a common feature yet, but the Yamaha P125 and P515 have ‘Audio over USB’.

(I’m not giving up my FP30 anytime soon, but it’s a definitely a feature I’m keeping my eye on, if I ever upgrade.)

We are the music makers,
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Groove On
If you really want a simpler setup (and who doesn’t?), you could try a piano that supports ‘Audio over USB’; it allows a single USB cable to route Audio & MIDI between the Piano and computer/tablet/phone. No need for an extra hub or external audio interface just One Cable To Rule Them All. It’s not a common feature yet, but the Yamaha P125 and P515 have ‘Audio over USB’.

(I’m not giving up my FP30 anytime soon, but it’s a definitely a feature I’m keeping my eye on, if I ever upgrade.)

In my experience, this feature is overrated, at least on my P515, Pianoteq sounds lacklustre. First of all is not nearly loud enough (you can boost the volume within PTQ though) but then the sound quality is not nearly half as good as dedicated external monitors (which I prefer even if the sight of the setup makes my better half cringe every time she walks in the room).

I am not faulting the P515, I assume its speakers are suited first and foremost for the built-in CFX which I like very much.

To conclude, if simplicity is what one is after, better try to find the piano that meets both internal sound/speaker/cabinet.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jamiecw
... (Audio over USB) is overrated, at least on my P515, Pianoteq sounds lacklustre.

How does Pianoteq sound through:
a. headphone jack of the P515?
b. line-out of the P515?

Do you think an external audio interface would sound better, worse or the same?

We are the music makers,
D
D
Currently I have a Roland FP30 and a Yamaha P121 (the 73-key version of P125) that has a built-in USB card. I also have a RD700 as a MIDI keyboard for Pianoteq pro in a Intel NUC i5 and a RME Babyface. The first thing I tried on my new P121 was Pianoteq on a Core I7 laptop with the built-in USB board and had the same experience as jamiecw - the sound level is lower and, worse, the latency is noticeable. Not huge, but enough to make me prefer the built-in CF Sample. I believe that the least the latency, the better the connection with the instrument. Anyway, I'm quite happy with either P121 with builtin sounds and also with the FP30. I find myself playing more and advancing more than on my previous setup that, apart the PA action of the RD700 that I'm finding too light, is, in theory better than the other entry-level DP's. Hope this helps.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DPAfficionado
The first thing I tried on my new P121 was Pianoteq on a Core I7 laptop with the built-in USB board and had the same experience as jamiecw - the sound level is lower and, worse, the latency is noticeable.

Was this also the case through the P121’s headphone jack and line-outs?

We are the music makers,
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
... (Audio over USB) is overrated, at least on my P515, Pianoteq sounds lacklustre.

How does Pianoteq sound through:
a. headphone jack of the P515?
b. line-out of the P515?

Do you think an external audio interface would sound better, worse or the same?

Via headphones (Yamaha HPH-MT5s) the volume is a tad better (this is at 100% volume with headphones) but nowhere near as loud if I am using the built-in CFX (which is too loud for me if using anything above 50%).

Line out, if used with a pair of JBL 250s (along with the onboard speakers) at 100% volume is playable but as very tame, lacks bite.

Haven't used the audio interface yet but at this point I rather stick with the CFX and use the SL88 for midi and VSTs which seems to cope a lot better than the Yamaha can.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... Via headphones ... a tad better (this is at 100% volume with headphones) but nowhere near as loud if I am using the built-in CFX ... Line out, if used with a pair of JBL 250s (along with the onboard speakers) at 100% volume is playable but as very tame, lacks bite.
Ahh, okay thank you. So it sounds like both of you are saying that the built-in audio interfaces (like the built-in speakers) are pretty basic, and that we can probably get better performance by running directly from the computer/tablet/phone or using a better external audio interface (just like we can get better audio by adding better external speakers).

We are the music makers,
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
That has certainly been my experience with the P515 - it's actually great when I use the JBLs underneath it (bit more pleasing to the eye to look at and hides the cables) and the outcome with the builtin speakers and sound is thunderous (maybe too loud as my ears start ringing if I prolong playing). But it needs external periphery to get a better outcome...

The alternative is to get a dedicated setup with VSTs like a midi controller (VPC1, SL88 Grand etc.) with the studio monitors, audio interface, Ravenscroft 275, Pianoteq etc. if one wants to beat the internal sound of a DP.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In my experience, this feature (Audio over USB) is overrated, at least on my P515, Pianoteq sounds lacklustre. First of all is not nearly loud enough (you can boost the volume within PTQ though) but then the sound quality is not nearly half as good as dedicated external monitors (which I prefer even if the sight of the setup makes...) me annoyed.

Find this quite gratifying, given that my FP30 refuses me permission to try it. Ah, well.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Hey! Is this the thread for those of us who don't like the native FP30 sound and had to find alternatives? smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No, but it could be perverted to be...grin

J
OP Offline
J

This was something that first came into my mind. If there were just one cable to rule them all and it would work.

... Via headphones ... a tad better (this is at 100% volume with headphones) but nowhere near as loud if I am using the built-in CFX ... Line out, if used with a pair of JBL 250s (along with the onboard speakers) at 100% volume is playable but as very tame, lacks bite.
Ahh, okay thank you. So it sounds like both of you are saying that the built-in audio interfaces (like the built-in speakers) are pretty basic, and that we can probably get better performance by running directly from the computer/tablet/phone or using a better external audio interface (just like we can get better audio by adding better external speakers).

Good to know these things jamiecw pointed out. Thank you! New information is always helpful. So the audio interface is the answer. We bought the FP-30 for my wife, so I won't be playing it that much anyway. Just wanted to know if there was an easy solution to drive 275 ios app through it. I am getting a new audio interface anyway, because I think I will buy Kawai VPC-1 to be my next piano.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission