Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (7uturu, anotherscott, AaronSF, bananya, 36251, Birdgolf, almo82, 29 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2850687
05/21/19 10:14 AM
05/21/19 10:14 AM
Philadelphia
Bruce In Philly Online content OP
Bruce In Philly  Online Content OP

Philadelphia
Yikes.... that is really odd...... no home circuit is over 20 amps.... goofy. Who would design equipment that technically can't be plugged into a home circuit? Again, these peak ratings are very conservative and should never occur. BTW, I learned all of this stuff years ago configuring data centers.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850690
05/21/19 10:22 AM
05/21/19 10:22 AM
Philadelphia

Philadelphia
Update... these posts shamed me.... I just purchased another Tripp Lite LC2400 from ebay... new unopened... $172 with shipping. I will use this on my keyboard/amp/computer/mixer/et al rig. I don;t expect sound improvements... just protection.

I live in a heavily wooded area and I loose power probably once a month from fallen trees. And, I know I have power fluctuations because the Tripp Lites make a clicking noise as the relays adjust voltage... I can hear this clicking probably once or twice a week. So... I did this simply for protection.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850692
05/21/19 10:27 AM
05/21/19 10:27 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
@BiP: With such high power usage ... you might get a visit from the sheriff ... on suspicion of operating a grow house! smile

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850698
05/21/19 10:40 AM
05/21/19 10:40 AM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yikes.... that is really odd...... no home circuit is over 20 amps.... goofy. Who would design equipment that technically can't be plugged into a home circuit? Again, these peak ratings are very conservative and should never occur. BTW, I learned all of this stuff years ago configuring data centers.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

The manual states that, at a minimum, a 20A circuit is required. I suppose it can be plugged into a a bigger circuit, I don’t know, 220v/30a? Maybe I can arc weld with the amp.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/21/19 10:44 AM.

Yamaha P-515, Pianoteq Standard 6
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850704
05/21/19 10:58 AM
05/21/19 10:58 AM
Philadelphia

Philadelphia
Arc weld!! Funny you should say this... you probably are near my age.... way back when these monster amps started to become popular.... I think Krell was one of the first popular units, then Mark Levinson... I remember some reviewer actually tried to arc weld with it. Launched a huge spark!!!! I think this was back in the late 80s IIRC.

My old VTL 300 Deluxe amps had the biggest capacitors I have ever seen on an amp. Each monoblock had two monster caps the size of drinking glasses. I suspect it could have killed a person.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05/21/19 10:59 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850705
05/21/19 11:03 AM
05/21/19 11:03 AM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Arc weld!! Funny you should say this... you probably are near my age.... way back when these monster amps started to become popular.... I think Krell was one of the first popular units, then Mark Levinson... I remember some reviewer actually tried to arc weld with it. Launched a huge spark!!!! I think this was back in the late 80s IIRC.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

My father had an arc welder and he had a circuit put in the garage for it. I think I might remember that story about someone trying to arc weld with an amplifier. I’m not twenty five years old anymore, lol, we probably are close in age. Some of the people on this thread must be pretty young if they’ve never heard or seen a Class A amp. If you can pick up the amp, it is not Class A.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850708
05/21/19 11:07 AM
05/21/19 11:07 AM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Here is a picture of the internals of my amp.

Look at the size of the capacitors!

[img]https://imgur.com/a/CSdlqMX[/img]

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2850724
05/21/19 12:05 PM
05/21/19 12:05 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Originally Posted by LarryK

[Linked Image]

Sexy!

Don't try to rewire a rented apartment in Germany. If anything happens and you don't have consent or are a certified electrician... you're liable and I doubt any insurance would cover that. laugh

Last edited by Granyala; 05/21/19 12:05 PM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2850730
05/21/19 12:18 PM
05/21/19 12:18 PM
Varna
N
newer player Online content
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N

Varna
Originally Posted by Granyala
Don't try to rewire a rented apartment in Germany.

Or try plumbing in an apartment in NYC.

I had a slow draining shower. Fortunately I called the University to fix it rather than DIY. The University plumber just pushed the clog down a few feet. Next morning downstairs apartment was destroyed and several more below flooded.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2850735
05/21/19 12:31 PM
05/21/19 12:31 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

[Linked Image]

Sexy!

Don't try to rewire a rented apartment in Germany. If anything happens and you don't have consent or are a certified electrician... you're liable and I doubt any insurance would cover that. laugh

I moved out of a rental apartment, where I ran my old 90w Class A Sumo Gold for eight years. It might have been on a 15a circuit, I don’t remember. The wires in the walls were from the 1930s and all the insulation was crumbling and falling off. The panel was fairly new, though.

I own this apartment but I still had to get permission from the cooperative board for the work to be done. There really is no reason for them to refuse, I was paying, and the apartment gets an upgrade. I don’t want to think about how many apartments in the building are still using the old panels from the 1950s.

I lived in an apartment in Stuttgart for a while and I am somewhat aware of all the rules in Germany. I got in trouble for not sweeping five flights of stairs and the courtyard every day for a week when I found a drawing of a broom hung off my door one day. I believe the term is “kehrwoche.” Nobody would say a word to me so I guessed that the sign meant I had to sweep my floor and move the card to the next door knob. In the end, they gave me a pass because I was a stupid American, lol.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/21/19 12:39 PM.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: newer player] #2850738
05/21/19 12:33 PM
05/21/19 12:33 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by newer player
Don't try to rewire a rented apartment in Germany.

Or try plumbing in an apartment in NYC.

I had a slow draining shower. Fortunately I called the University to fix it rather than DIY. The University plumber just pushed the clog down a few feet. Next morning downstairs apartment was destroyed and several more below flooded.

If you live in New York, you become good friends with you superintendent, your super. The old New York joke is that if you don’t tip your super at Christmas, they’ll find you dead in the alley. The super is the institutional memory of a building. He knows what repairs have been done, where the plumbing is dodgy, and what work can and cannot be done.

My building guys are so wonderful that they helped me move my amp out and will help me move it back in. Yes, I tip for that. Money is a hammer which can be used to flatten many problems.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/21/19 12:35 PM.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850739
05/21/19 12:38 PM
05/21/19 12:38 PM
Philadelphia

Philadelphia
Germany: I wired a bunch of switches and lighting in my buddy's new apartment in Mitte Berlin.... a new building put up where a bomb had dropped... he moved in not long after the wall came down. I had no clue of either the laws nor German wiring. Funniest stories are me in a Berlin hardware store trying to communicate wiring components with a non-english speaking helper. Funny as heck. I got it all to work and no fires.

New York.... when I looked at my apt, I asked the super "how is the hot water?".... a question only a New Yorker understands.... he said (another Irish guy). "It all depends on how you treat me at Christmas".

True stories.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850743
05/21/19 12:50 PM
05/21/19 12:50 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Germany: I wired a bunch of switches and lighting in my buddy's new apartment in Mitte Berlin.... a new building put up where a bomb had dropped... he moved in not long after the wall came down. I had no clue of either the laws nor German wiring. Funniest stories are me in a Berlin hardware store trying to communicate wiring components with a non-english speaking helper. Funny as heck. I got it all to work and no fires.

New York.... when I looked at my apt, I asked the super "how is the hot water?".... a question only a New Yorker understands.... he said (another Irish guy). "It all depends on how you treat me at Christmas".

True stories.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

LOL. I could make tea with my hot water, it is blisteringly hot. I yell at friends to watch the hot water when they go to the bathroom but I still hear screams.

My old rental was owned by an Irish guy, a plumbing contractor, who passed away before I moved in. His widow did dodgy work, repairing the leaks with electrical tape. She had learned nothing from her husband. She was British, he was Irish, always a good combination.

When we signed the lease on the last apartment, I told my wife, this will be fine, the old lady lives in the building, we’ll have plenty of heat. Idiot me. The old lady would sneak down into the basement at 2am to shut off the boiler in order to try to save fuel. We’d wake up freezing. We learned that a state of open warfare had existed between the tenants and the landlord, for years.

I’ll never rent again. I get respect as an owner, the repairs are done right, and we all take pride in having a beautiful building. Plus, maintenance charges are per square foot so they’re more fair than the wacky rent laws in New York which often cause buildings to fall into a state of disrepair.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/21/19 12:57 PM.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2850745
05/21/19 12:56 PM
05/21/19 12:56 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
The wires in the walls were from the 1930s and all the insulation was crumbling and falling off.
I don’t want to think about how many apartments in the building are still using the old panels from the 1950s.

I lived in an apartment in Stuttgart for a while and I am somewhat aware of all the rules in Germany. I got in trouble for not sweeping five flights of stairs and the courtyard every day for a week when I found a drawing of a broom hung off my door one day. I believe the term is “kehrwoche.” Nobody would say a word to me so I guessed that the sign meant I had to sweep my floor and move the card to the next door knob. In the end, they gave me a pass because I was a stupid American, lol.

Damn all that ancient wiring is terrifying. I wouldn't dare to hang a 1-2KW device to those either. shocked

Haha, yeah germans are often like that. I didn't bother to do my stairs 80% of the time because if it looks clean, it is clean. Eventually they got the hint and hired a firm to do the menial labor. I rather pay than inhale all that crap. laugh

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Granyala] #2850753
05/21/19 01:22 PM
05/21/19 01:22 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

The wires in the walls were from the 1930s and all the insulation was crumbling and falling off.
I don’t want to think about how many apartments in the building are still using the old panels from the 1950s.

Damn all that ancient wiring is terrifying. I wouldn't dare to hang a 1-2KW device to those either. shocked

Haha, yeah germans are often like that. I didn't bother to do my stairs 80% of the time because if it looks clean, it is clean. Eventually they got the hint and hired a firm to do the menial labor. I rather pay than inhale all that crap. laugh

The Gryphon is hung off of new wire and the wire in the chase is fairly recent, due to a fire in an apartment on a lower floor.

In the old building, every once in a while, people would be running around trying to figure out where the smell of burning wire was coming from, out in the hallway, or in the elevator. I have a hundred stores and may write a book.

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2850755
05/21/19 01:29 PM
05/21/19 01:29 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Guys. Isn't it time you found new homes? Yours seem like fire traps. frown

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: MacMacMac] #2850764
05/21/19 02:12 PM
05/21/19 02:12 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by MacMacMac

When I think of living in a fire trap, my mind immediately jumps to this Oakland example.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2850768
05/21/19 02:21 PM
05/21/19 02:21 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

When I think of living in a fire trap, my mind immediately jumps to this Oakland example.

A word to the wise, if you live in a multi-unit building, spend ~$50 for a smoke hood. Smoke hoods give you 20-30 minutes of oxygen through a chemical reaction. You pull little rubber plugs to start the flow of oxygen. Smoke kills, fire rarely does. In this horrific tragedy, four people were killed eight or nine stories above the fire:

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/24/nyregion/4-killed-fleeing-blaze-in-high-rise.html

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: LarryK] #2850774
05/21/19 02:31 PM
05/21/19 02:31 PM
Varna
N
newer player Online content
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N

Varna
A word to the wise, if you live in a multi-unit building, spend ~$50 for a smoke hood. Smoke hoods give you 20-30 minutes of oxygen through a chemical reaction. You pull little rubber plugs to start the flow of oxygen. Smoke kills, fire rarely does.

Good tip!

Re: Audiophile Stuff! Turn away! Specs and sound. [Re: newer player] #2850846
05/21/19 06:00 PM
05/21/19 06:00 PM
L
LarryK Offline
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by newer player
A word to the wise, if you live in a multi-unit building, spend ~$50 for a smoke hood. Smoke hoods give you 20-30 minutes of oxygen through a chemical reaction. You pull little rubber plugs to start the flow of oxygen. Smoke kills, fire rarely does.

Good tip!

It is. I read about how a guy started importing smoke hoods into the US when he noticed that they had them in every hotel room in Hong Kong but not in a single hotel room in the US.

I texted/talked a friend through what to do when there was a fire in her building, just a week ago. It was a nerve-racking experience because I could not see where the fire was located in her building, and she couldn't tell.

She didn't know things such as to put wet towels under the door in order to block the entry of smoke. I had her do that, and to also feel the door to see if it was hot. She has a fire escape, but there was a ladder from an FDNY truck right next to that window, going up to the roof, so we didn't know if the fire was above her. Nobody else was going down the fire escape, and nobody was issuing instructions of any kind. She could hear people coughing in the hallway.

So, she stayed put in her apartment and tried to figure out what to do. I said that she had to use her best judgement and to go if she felt the room start to fill with smoke. She didn't want to open the window because of the amount of smoke outside.

Her building is only a five minute run from mine so I ran out the door and up a hill to see out what was going on. By the time I got there, the men from FDNY had put out the blaze, which was on the second floor, just two floors down from her apartment, and the next wing over from her apartment. The firemen had smashed out all of the windows from the street side and made quick work of the fire. They had put ladders all over the building, that must be protocol in case the fire starts to spread.

I suppose it was good that she did not go out the fire escape because there is a wooden scaffold/sidewalk bridge on the second floor because they're doing some work on the building. The sidewalk bridge could have been engulfed in flames, it's at the same level as the burning apartment.

Most of the time, nothing happens, but every once in a while, something happens to scare you to death.

P.S. She's put in an order for a smoke hood.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/21/19 06:09 PM.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
USA Edition for CVP Clavinovas Worth Installing ?
by jfinkler. 06/20/19 02:53 PM
Best digital piano in the ~$1000 price range?
by bananya. 06/20/19 02:47 PM
Breakdown of a Practice Session
by Groove On. 06/20/19 01:43 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,625
Posts2,840,214
Members93,664
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission