2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Quick update I've played my NU1X for about an hour between yesterday and this morning (gotta love those headphones!) and no loud note issue so far though as I have mentioned it didn't occur often for me. I have tried to duplicate it paying two keys next to each other repetitively and using the test CyberGene came up with. So far what I have gotten is a slightly louder note but not the more jarring full volume effect. I can't tell if the slightly louder note is because of the issue or my inability to play rapid notes consistently.

Come on BradleyG and Tyr, I need someone with more experience and ability to test this. smile

On a side note I can't see any other changes this update makes. There was mention of that the Smart Pianist v2.0 app was now supported. I was excited that maybe there was something new there but then I went to update the app and it turns out I was already using v2.x. No new app for me frown

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's promising. Even if the loud note issue is not fully eradicated but only alleviated, that would be already a welcome improvement to an already great instrument smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oneilt130
There was mention of that the Smart Pianist v2.0 app was now supported. I was excited that maybe there was something new there but then I went to update the app and it turns out I was already using v2.x. No new app for me frown

The description in the google playstore says the app will support newer models on june 2019.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
“Newer models”?

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The current android app doesn't support models like NU1X, P-125, P-515, CLP-685 etc. like the iOS version does.

Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are we to interpret this silence as a negative on the loud note?
Or are the parties involved thoroughly testing all systems before posting their findings here at the world of piano?
Still, I’m cautiously optimistic about this. What if Yamaha has already -subliminally- conditioned us into believing that there is an improvement, yet the truth turns out to be more complicated than that: the loud note has now been substituted for a quiet note!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Ayet the truth turns out to be more complicated than that: the loud note has now been substituted for a quiet note!

Not that I have an NU1X, but for me, quiet is so much better than loud!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I think I’d also prefer a quiet note or perhaps -as with the real thing?- no note at all.

I
I
Oh... I'll probably get this instead of the 685 if the loud note issue is eradicated (somewhat at least) since I always liked the sound of the NU1/X more than the 685.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The NU1X has only 4 speakers compared to 7 on the CLP685. The 685 also has much higher wattage, yet many prefer the former (loud note aside).

I
I
The NU1X has only 4 speakers compared to 7 on the CLP685. The 685 also has much higher wattage, yet many prefer the former (loud note aside).

The NU1X has 2 40W as compared to CLP685’s 3 30W or something though, right?

Either way, the salesman said the same to me, but I still liked the NU1X more. Sounded more natural.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by iLogic

The NU1X has 2 40W as compared to CLP685’s 3 30W or something though, right?

Either way, the salesman said the same to me, but I still liked the NU1X more. Sounded more natural.

I faced the same delima, here's a thread I started on this topic. To summarize take the specs with a grain of salt. I felt and still feel the same way you do that the NU1X sounds and plays more like an acoustic.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wattage means nothing. It's the quality of the amp and speakers which make the difference. I can't tell exactly what is different albeit the watts, but the NU1X sounds much richer and balanced than the CLP-685.

I tested the 02.01 Update and can confirm from my plays and tests, that the loud note issue has gone away or the volume level of the specific note has been drastically reduced. I tried it before the update (where it occured two or three times) and after the update.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Another quick update. I decided to take one for the team and play for another half hour at lunch. This time I focused on the rapid repetition parts of Clementi's Sonatina No 1 third movement. This is the most recent piece where this issue has happened. The short answer is that once I had what I would consider a muted loud note occur. This is an area that I can play the repeated notes at a consistent volume and one of the notes was definitely a bit louder than the others. It wasn't the jarring max volume sound that had occurred in the past but it was a bit louder. The issue seems to be happening less often and with less of an increase in volume.

So with my limited testing it appears that they have mitigated the issue but not completely eliminated it. Hopefully BradleyG and Tyr will be reporting in soon. Who knows it may just be the software equivalent of the placebo effect. (Once again curse you CyberGene for abandoning us. smile )

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyr
Wattage means nothing. It's the quality of the amp and speakers which make the difference. I can't tell exactly what is different albeit the watts, but the NU1X sounds much richer and balanced than the CLP-685.

I tested the 02.01 Update and can confirm from my plays and tests, that the loud note issue has gone away or the volume level of the specific note has been drastically reduced. I tried it before the update (where it occured two or three times) and after the update.

Thanks for the update.

I
I
Originally Posted by Tyr

Oh, such wonderful news. Fantastic.

I
I
Just asked the retailer that sold me the CA98 for a deal on the NU1X. If the loud note issue in fact is gone more or less, I’m buying the NU1X.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I just thought of another possible heuristics. The fact is: when you push the hammer, it’s heavy and would limit the maximum velocity you can achieve due to inertia. However when the key has not been released fully, hence the jack hasn't reengaged the hammer, key is light and you can easily accelerate it to produce high, or what’s more important: HIGHER terminal velocity, hence the loud note issue. The software would always produce a MIDI value of 127 if the velocity is higher than some value. But actually you can measure what’s a reasonable max velocity with hammer and then introduce a new check for velocities exceeding that. Previously it would produce 127 but now it would see what was the last value for that key and repeat it. Not very consistent but still better than blasting a full 127 strike. There might be another additional check if that event happened shortly after the same key has been released because that’s when loud note issue happens: on repetition, never on first strike.

There’s a lot of statistical analysis that could be done by Yamaha to determine when the issue happens and then go to use that data to predict it and alleviate it. It’s only odd that they introduced it after so much time.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/21/19 04:43 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I just thought of another possible heuristics. The fact is: when you push the hammer, it’s heavy and would limit the maximum velocity you can achieve due to inertia. However when the key has not been released fully, hence the jack hasn't reengaged the hammer, key is light and you can easily accelerate it to produce high, or what’s more important: HIGHER terminal velocity, hence the loud note issue. The software would always produce a MIDI value of 127 if the velocity is higher than some value. But actually you can measure what’s a reasonable max velocity with hammer and then introduce a new check for velocities exceeding that. Previously it would produce 127 but now it would see what was the last value for that key and repeat it. Not very consistent but still better than blasting a full 127 strike. There might be another additional check if that event happened shortly after the same key has been released because that’s when loud note issue happens: on repetition, never on first strike.

There’s a lot of statistical analysis that could be done by Yamaha to determine when the issue happens and then go to use that data to predict it and alleviate it. It’s only odd that they introduced it after so much time.

My guess is that it took Yamaha some time to decide to fix it then they needed to schedule the resources to the project. Who knows, they team that wrote this update could have been busy working on the N1X before this or some other project. Also while I understand the logic behind dampening sensor input it's a long way from mitigating something like a flow meter to how you handle the sound from a DP. I could see something like this taking awhile to work out and then test the heck out of it.

Regardless the result is very good. It's in the early testing stages but so far I would consider the issue resolved. It seems to happen with much less frequency and when it does it's a more subtle increase in volume, not the full on max volume that it was doing.

Now if they could just add that brightness setting that the N1X folk have been talking about.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Chantel
Greetings members.
I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has done the latest software update as of April 2019 for the Yamaha Nu1x. It’s says on Yamaha software update page that the V2:10 update improves playability. I’m thinking seriously about purchasing the piano but am aware of the “loud note” issue, I’m just wondering if this update fixes or improves the situation?
I’m actually looking at both the Yamaha clp685 and the Nu1x. Both seem to have advantages and disadvantages. I did actually prefer the speaker sound of the 685 but the action of the Nu1x felt better to me. The 685 was not bad though just different.
I should say I’m not a great pianist. I’m a adult learner and just love playing and find it very meditative. I just sold a KAWAk200 which I really enjoyed and was more than enough piano for me, its just that I’m moving into a condo and really need a digital for practice at all hours and keep everyone happy.
I think if someone has done the software update and can confirm the loud note issue has improved I will probable get the Nu1x.
I think I could be happy with the 645 to though it sounded great.
Thank for your time and comments.
Chantel .

Shout out to Chantel for starting this thread. I never would have checked for the update if I hadn't seen this post. The loud note issue was never a big deal for me but it is still nice to have it taken care of.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission