Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
73 registered members (ando, baudelairepianist, Charles Cohen, BubbaMc, Brendan, 36251, 22 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Have you been to Vienna? #2850419
05/20/19 12:51 PM
05/20/19 12:51 PM
NYC
R
Roadkill Offline OP
Roadkill  Offline OP
R

NYC
Hi, I hope this is the right place to rave and perhaps ask for recommendation on classical music related things to do in Vienna. If not, hopefully you can direct me to a right forum.

Relevant info:
* I'm going to be in Vienna for only 5 days with my bf who doesn't really share my enthusiasm for classical music... yet smile
* I'm pretty new to classical myself - currently interested in chamber music, solo piano works, liturgical organ or choral works, okay with symphonies and not really into opera.
* We hail from USA and don't speak much Austrian wink

I'm currently checking out Musikverein and Konzerthaus. Any other classical music venues I should check out for concerts? Turns out that there are a lot of "classical shows" with dinner with performers in costumes - I like the costumes bit but music comes first! So whatever venues that doesn't actually list the program, it's ruled out.

Also, any recommendation for churches with organs? I don't know too much about organs except that I love the sound and would love to hear it in person. I hope to read about it more so that I can appreciate it better by the time I'm in Vienna. It seems there are quite a few churches that have "concerts" scheduled (Peterskirche, Annakirche, Votivkirche, to name a few) Have you checked out any of them - musically or architecturally? I'd love to check them out as a visitor since I'm not religious and would hate to disturb others' spiritual time.

Bosendorfer! I'll be checking out but as a beginner I'm afraid I can't play much yet. There's NY Steinway store not too far from my work but I have yet to check it out because I keep chickening out. (Any tips..?) Hopefully I can still appreciate the quality of tone and action.

Finally, any museums or birthplaces you can recommend? I thought about visiting Schubert's Birthplace but I read everything was in German. There's also Arnold Schoenberg center except I don't really get Schoenberg's music.. though I did quite like Schoenberg's orchestral work of Brahms' Piano Quartet No 1. But as a newbie to classical music, the whole 12 tone thing and contemporary music in general are waay over my head.

Of course, there are other non-music places that I'm planning to check out like Belvedere and Schonbrunn palaces. Suggestions of all kinds are welcome! Hoping to do more legwork on what else to check out this week but I figured I'd ask you long time music experts and lovers anyway.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850429
05/20/19 01:08 PM
05/20/19 01:08 PM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Wisconsin, USA
I have been to Vienna several times and consider it my very favorite city in Europe. The Bösendorfer city center showroom is part of the Musikverein. The Mozarthaus near St. Stephen's Cathedral has one of Bösendorfer's music halls. I have attended master piano classes at Bösendorfer and they have used this hall for our recitals. It used to be the wine cellar. Here is a link, including upcoming concerts. https://www.mozarthausvienna.at/en/VISIT/Events

The Musikverein is very interesting and worth touring. They have guided tours in different languages.

If you are flying into Vienna and staying in the city center I would highly recommend using the express CAT train (CAT=City Airport Train) into the city center. The subway in Vienna is among the best I have ever experienced. It is such an easy way to get around.

Have a great trip! Steve

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 05/20/19 01:08 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850449
05/20/19 02:23 PM
05/20/19 02:23 PM
S
Sidokar Offline
Sidokar  Offline
S

The other thing you can consider is to make a trip to Salzbourg. It is only 2,5 hours away and it is a beautiful city to visit and you might also have a concert there. I like Vienna but Salzbourg is really well preserved. It is worth the trip.

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850484
05/20/19 04:14 PM
05/20/19 04:14 PM
Chicago, IL, USA
T
TwelfthRoot2 Offline
TwelfthRoot2  Offline
T

Chicago, IL, USA
Definitely go to the cemetery where Strauss, Schubert, Brahms, and Beethoven are all buried next to each other. It's a pretty incredible feeling. Also, consider going to the (supposed) grave of Mozart.

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850507
05/20/19 06:03 PM
05/20/19 06:03 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
While not a musical adventure, I'd highly recommend visiting the Schönbrunn Palace and Gardens (a UNESCO World Heritage Site). It's a little out of town (but on a streetcar line) but worth it. Schönbrunn was the Habsburg ruler Maria-Theresa's summer palace, but it puts Versaille to shame. Unlike Versaille which was sacked after the French Revolution, Schönbrunn contains most all its original furnishings, and the "gardens" (both formal and English) are beyond description. It is spectacular. One can easily spend a day there, especially if it's a sunny day. By tickets in advance to avoid a long wait to get in.

August Förster 215
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850523
05/20/19 07:18 PM
05/20/19 07:18 PM
Washington
vmishka Offline
vmishka  Offline

Washington
I visit Vienna almost every year and my wife and I will be there for a few days in early June. Besides the things that have been mentioned (you already know the two main concert halls, I agree with visiting the central cemetery and the cemetery with Mozart's grave), the University for Music and Performing Arts has student concerts (mostly free): Piano evenings, some chamber music, vocal recitals, even organ concerts. Of course, the quality of the students varies somewhat, but it can be enjoyable. Schedule (in German, although the rest of the website is also in English) can be found here: https://www.mdw.ac.at/6/.

St. Michael's Church has organ concerts (again, the calendar appears to only be in German): https://www.michaelerkirche.at/kalender/.

The Art History Museum: https://www.khm.at/en/visit/ There are rooms full of massive paintings by Rubens where I can sit for "hours."

There are several parks in the center of Vienna that are worth a stroll.

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850548
05/20/19 09:18 PM
05/20/19 09:18 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Forum member Sibylle used to live in Vienna. You might want to pm her, but she hasn’t been on in a few weeks. I know how to reach her if need be.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850558
05/20/19 10:51 PM
05/20/19 10:51 PM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline

Mountain Brook, AL, USA

Hugh Sung is going to Vienna as well . . .

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850561
05/20/19 11:22 PM
05/20/19 11:22 PM
Cali
Terry Michael Offline
Terry Michael  Offline

Cali
Love Hugh. I hope he has a great time in Vienna. So much to do. Thanks for sharing that interview.

TH
[Linked Image]
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850579
05/21/19 02:00 AM
05/21/19 02:00 AM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P

Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by Roadkill
Turns out that there are a lot of "classical shows" with dinner with performers in costumes - I like the costumes bit but music comes first! So whatever venues that doesn't actually list the program, it's ruled out.

These things are trite affairs for tourists. Harmless, but not worth your time.

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850644
05/21/19 08:17 AM
05/21/19 08:17 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
My wife and I visited Vienna last year as part of a larger tour of Europe. Unfortunately, we only had one and a half days there. We went to St. Marx cemetery to visit Mozart's grave (or at least the monument in the general area), and then Wiener Zentralfriedhof to visit the graves of Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, and Strauss. We then went over to the Haydn Haus, and then the Beethoven Pasqualatihaus. After most of the day visiting musical sites, we finished the day at the beautiful Schloß Schönbrunn.

I would love to go back and spend several days there. I'm not interested in attending concerts (I want to play myself, not sit and listen to other people play), but I'd love to visit the other Beethoven houses and Mozart's house, not to mention the non-musical museums. (Some artifacts from Rogers family history are in one of the museums in Vienna, and I'd love to see paintings by Klimt.)

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850812
05/21/19 04:22 PM
05/21/19 04:22 PM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
Hiiii! Sorry I've been so absent. Yes, PM me with any questions, I get email notifications and will get back to you asap.

You're on the right track with the Musikverein and Konzerthaus. If you're into opera - and honestly, even if you're not - both the Staatsoper (www.staatsoper.at) and the Volksoper (www.volksoper.at) are worth looking at. Bösendorfer have a show room at a side entrance of the Musikverein, and they let you try them out grin

As for music-related sights, you can visit Schubert's birthplace ("Schubert Geburtshaus"), one of the apartments where Mozart used to live ("Mozart-Wohnung") and the house where Beethoven used to live ("Beethoven Haus"), all three very much worth seeing. There's also the Schönberg Centre (www.schoenberg.at) and oh gods, so much more. It's hard to know where to begin! But these are some of the most important ones.

Last edited by Sibylle; 05/21/19 04:22 PM.

Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850815
05/21/19 04:30 PM
05/21/19 04:30 PM
S
snowfox Offline
snowfox  Offline
S

I recommend to visit Haus der Musik, which is a museum about music, instruments, music history and the theory of vocalisation. It's address is: Seilerstätte 30, 1010 Wien, the web-site: https://www.hausdermusik.com/
I found it very interesting, it's very interactive, the labels and comments are in English as well.

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850828
05/21/19 05:00 PM
05/21/19 05:00 PM
S
snowfox Offline
snowfox  Offline
S

Apart from the music-related places my favourite places in Vienna are:
- the Naschmarkt market, where you can buy food and groceries from Turkey to Russia, from French cheeses to seafood.
- the Karlskirche, where you can go up by an elevator (and some stairs) to the top of the church to see and explore the fresco within arm's reach (it's next to the Naschmarkt by the way) (address: Kreuzherrengasse 1, 1040 Wien)
- the main hall of the national library, so called Prunksaal, fulled with old books, sculptures and fresco (address: Josefsplatz 1 , 1010 Wien)
- Schmetterlinghaus, the butterfly house, which is quite small greenhouse full with tropical plants and butterflies. It's not a huge spectacle, but nice to drop by to a green, planty place like this in the middle of a big city. (http://www.schmetterlinghaus.at/)

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2850930
05/22/19 01:20 AM
05/22/19 01:20 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dublin
I'll have to save these. I have never been to Vienna, but I go abroad to one concert a year, and next year is Vienna's turn. Now I just have to decide who I want to see the most.

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: jeffscot] #2851163
05/22/19 01:57 PM
05/22/19 01:57 PM
NYC
R
Roadkill Offline OP
Roadkill  Offline OP
R

NYC
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I have been to Vienna several times and consider it my very favorite city in Europe. The Bösendorfer city center showroom is part of the Musikverein. The Mozarthaus near St. Stephen's Cathedral has one of Bösendorfer's music halls. I have attended master piano classes at Bösendorfer and they have used this hall for our recitals. It used to be the wine cellar. Here is a link, including upcoming concerts. https://www.mozarthausvienna.at/en/VISIT/Events

The Musikverein is very interesting and worth touring. They have guided tours in different languages.

If you are flying into Vienna and staying in the city center I would highly recommend using the express CAT train (CAT=City Airport Train) into the city center. The subway in Vienna is among the best I have ever experienced. It is such an easy way to get around.

Have a great trip! Steve

I didn't realize that Bosendorfer showroom was part of Musikverein. If I cannot attend a concert in Musikverein, I'm going to schedule a tour for sure. And definitely for Staatsoper - it looks gorgeous.

Originally Posted by Sidokar
The other thing you can consider is to make a trip to Salzbourg. It is only 2,5 hours away and it is a beautiful city to visit and you might also have a concert there. I like Vienna but Salzbourg is really well preserved. It is worth the trip.

Sidokar, I did visit Salzburg a couple of years ago for two days. And that was too short. Hopefully I'll return again.

Originally Posted by vmishka
I visit Vienna almost every year and my wife and I will be there for a few days in early June. Besides the things that have been mentioned (you already know the two main concert halls, I agree with visiting the central cemetery and the cemetery with Mozart's grave), the University for Music and Performing Arts has student concerts (mostly free): Piano evenings, some chamber music, vocal recitals, even organ concerts. Of course, the quality of the students varies somewhat, but it can be enjoyable. Schedule (in German, although the rest of the website is also in English) can be found here: https://www.mdw.ac.at/6/.

St. Michael's Church has organ concerts (again, the calendar appears to only be in German): https://www.michaelerkirche.at/kalender/.

The Art History Museum: https://www.khm.at/en/visit/ There are rooms full of massive paintings by Rubens where I can sit for "hours."

There are several parks in the center of Vienna that are worth a stroll.

Thank you vmishka, for the links to MDW and St.Michael's Church! Found a few interesting events I could check out.

Originally Posted by jeffscot

Hugh Sung is going to Vienna as well . . .

If I run into Hugh, I'll be sure to thank him for his wonderful videos. Since he's there to record/perform.. where can I find his concert? Someone spill the beans please smile

Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2851615
05/23/19 11:13 PM
05/23/19 11:13 PM
California
V
Vuong Offline
Vuong  Offline
V

California
Five days and five nights in Vienna. If you are lucky enough to have one evening which is on a weekend,then do not miss the Spanish Riding School as a diversion from the music overload (although classical music is also played during the show). Otherwise you can also attend the rehearsal during the day. Bosendorfer has a factory in Wienerneustadt which is not very far from Vienna. As for Salzburg you need to leave it for another trip to Austria.So many things to see in Vienna, so little time, and since you are young, try to enjoy as much as you can without being exhausted. I have lived in Vienna for 2 months as a student of German language and was not even able to see everything during this time. So I still enjoy to come back regularly to see what I was not able to see and reminisce about these special 2 best months of my live.

VuongMinh Duc
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2851670
05/24/19 06:21 AM
05/24/19 06:21 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2852093
05/25/19 01:00 PM
05/25/19 01:00 PM
Virginia
coaster Offline
coaster  Offline

Virginia
I think this is what my family and I went to in Vienna - it was an All-Mozart concert with the orchestra and soloists dressed in period costumes. It felt like stepping back in time. My kids enjoyed it.

Vienna Mozart Orchestra

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
Re: Have you been to Vienna? [Re: Roadkill] #2852896
05/27/19 08:05 PM
05/27/19 08:05 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

London
The collection of early pianos and other keyboard instruments in the Weltmuseum is simply astonishing. I spent two hours there and could have stayed longer. Also they have portraits of Beethoven, Schubert and piano makers such as Graf and Streicher. Splendidly housed in a building in the former Royal Palace. Highly recommended.

See this link.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Verituner for Android
by Vlad Ants. 07/15/19 10:24 PM
Bass string recommendation for Steinway A?
by l8style. 07/15/19 05:38 PM
<7k Upright piano, advice please
by JoanneD. 07/15/19 05:16 PM
What to look for in a teacher
by ChiralSpiral. 07/15/19 03:49 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,025
Posts2,848,832
Members93,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission