Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (ADWyatt, anotherscott, Boylan, Akaitsuki, Beowulf, 24 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 575 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Roland RD2000 - beginner questions #2850435 05/20/19 12:31 PM
J
Jakers Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Just bought a new RD2000 and been loving all the features it boasts, but there are a few arguably basic things that I couldn't to grips with or find information on -

• I have found a great webpage on the axial.roland site with several downloadable sound expansion kits. Are there any other notable sites that offer sound expansion packs? Preferably with more creative synth lead orientated sounds?
• How do you import new sounds into the RD2000? Do you have to overwrite existing sounds, or is there extra space to allow for expansions?
• Is it possible to export sounds into a DAW to play these sounds with a separate MIDI keyboard? As I have a more lightweight MIDI keyboard on my desk -
• What is the best way to hook up the RD2000 to FL Studio to record MIDI without latency issues? I've hooked it up with a USB cable and messed with the buffer settings in FL Studio but there always seems to be notable lag, even though my PC is relatively good (custom built)
• Same as the above question but in regards to audio recording - this is not something I've done in the past but I do have an audio interface lying around somewhere. Any advice on what cables/settings to use would be most welcomed

Last edited by Jakers; 05/20/19 12:32 PM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Roland RD2000 - beginner questions [Re: Jakers] #2850463 05/20/19 02:00 PM
Bruce In Philly Offline
I own an RD2000.... nice board. Manual is awful. Below is a vid I found very helpful.

- I am unaware of any expansion capabilities/packs other than the Axial site. The RD 2000 has two spaces for for two packs. A pack is a set of sounds... can not add/remove single sounds. If you want to install another pack, you have to delete one.
- I am unaware of any capability to export sounds from your RD 2000. However, I am not sure why you would want to do this as the RD 2000 can play 8 sounds (zones) at the same time if you want, and each can be configured to play a different sound triggered/fed from your DAW. It is pretty darn powerful.
- I use Ableton DAW and have zero latency issues (I use a fairly powerful Asus Windows Laptop)
- You do not need an audio interface at all. One USB cable from your RD 2000 to your laptop can do amazing things. For mine, I have it record analog audio (a wav) to track 1, then MIDI to track 2 both at the exact same time... I then have the best of both worlds. For playback, you can play MIDI back to your RD2000, or play the analog audio (wav) file, or play both back at the same time. All using just one USB cable... and you can play along with all of that going at the same time
- It has another capability, to record a 44.1 wav file directly to a USB stick you plug directly into the back of the RD2000. Then you can play it back directly from the USB stick through your RD 2000. You can also put WAV files on the usb stick of tunes ripped from a CD or whatever, and play those back from the USB stick and then play along ..... The RD 2000 will mix the sounds. It can scroll through a list of tunes on the USB... pretty darn powerful.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

https://youtu.be/aur-eSLiaWs

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05/20/19 02:03 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Roland RD2000 - beginner questions [Re: Jakers] #2850466 05/20/19 02:09 PM
Bruce In Philly Offline
Oh, one other capability with the single USB cable.... you can play back, from your DAW, either a MIDI or WAV track (or both), while playing along and recording that onto another track in the DAW. Wow, a full studio with just one USB cable and no digital audio interface.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Roland RD2000 - beginner questions [Re: Jakers] #2850929 05/22/19 12:15 AM
S
shasderias Offline
S
As a prelude, note that RD-2000 has a built-in 2/2 USB audio interface with a MIDI in/out.

• Is it possible to export sounds into a DAW to play these sounds with a separate MIDI keyboard? As I have a more lightweight MIDI keyboard on my desk -

No. But you can send MIDI to the RD-2000 to "play" those sounds.

I know for a fact that you can send MIDI through said audio interface.

You should also be able to "play" those sounds by sending MIDI through the MIDI ports at the back.

• What is the best way to hook up the RD2000 to FL Studio to record MIDI without latency issues? I've hooked it up with a USB cable and messed with the buffer settings in FL Studio but there always seems to be notable lag, even though my PC is relatively good (custom built)

Your PC is probably a non-factor here (unless it's somehow seriously crippled in some way). You want to make sure that the RD-2000's USB interface is set to vender made (look in the RD-2000's settings) and that you have Roland's drivers installed. Configure FL Studio to use the RD-2000 over ASIO and set the buffer size to 256 samples (you may be able to go lower, but 256 is a decent starting point).

If done correctly, you should be able to hear FL Studio over the RD-2000's outputs.

• Same as the above question but in regards to audio recording - this is not something I've done in the past but I do have an audio interface lying around somewhere. Any advice on what cables/settings to use would be most welcomed

If you are talking about recording the output of the RD-2000, answer's the same as the previous question. The RD-2000 will (in addition to sending it's output to the jacks behind your piano) send it's output to said audio interface. Just a question of telling FL you want to record the signal the RD-2000 is sending.

If you are talking about something else, perhaps you could detail exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Moderated by  Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NU1X or U1 Silent made in Indonesia (1 year used)
by Pianowill - 12/15/19 07:57 PM
Double sharp F in key of G
by FrankCox - 12/15/19 06:58 PM
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,675
Posts2,901,985
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission