2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Soojin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What is the usual pay arrangement for a piano technician as they help one to look for a piano to purchase? That means expert advice on a number trips (in town, in my case)... My piano tuner offers it as a free service - is this normal? What’s the protocol (in Canada)? Thank you.

Public servant by day, pianist and choir conductor by night
Yamaha C2X (2020) and Yamaha P120 (2019)
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
What you should determine is whose interests the technician is representing. Does the technician sell pianos? (I do). Does the tech work for piano dealer(s)? Do they expect you to hire them to perform any work on the piano you buy?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Ed brings up valid points. Generally, an independent piano technician will charge for their time in examining potential purchases on your behalf.

If they are doing this for free, they still have to eat. What is their expectation? Will they be doing technical work to whatever you find? Will they be moving and tuning the piano for you? Or, as Ed already asked, are they perhaps being paid by a dealer already?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Ed and Rich always give great, professional advice.

If I understand your thread comments correctly, you are asking what technicians usually charge to help a client find a good used piano for sale? It seems to me that would be more of a brokerage or finder's service. Finding a good used piano being offered for sale and physically inspecting/evaluating it would be two different things for which a piano tech would charge for.

Your tech may not charge you just to help located a piano being offered for sale. I would call this a courtesy service being offered by your tech, perhaps in anticipation that you would hire them to inspect, tune and service the piano.

Currently, I'm not in the market for another piano, but it was a lot of fun finding my own prospects... smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
Soojin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
What you should determine is whose interests the technician is representing. Does the technician sell pianos? (I do). Does the tech work for piano dealer(s)? Do they expect you to hire them to perform any work on the piano you buy?

These are excellent questions, thank you. Mine sells piano, but he is a small independent rebuilder who does not have a suitable piano for me at the moment (if he was hopeful for me to buy one of his, he was very professional and didn’t push one direction to another).

I don’t think that he works for another dealer.

I expect to hire him to work for any piano I’d buy. I’m unsure that that prospect is enough to get free expertise. Thank you.

S
Soojin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Ed brings up valid points. Generally, an independent piano technician will charge for their time in examining potential purchases on your behalf.

If they are doing this for free, they still have to eat. What is their expectation? Will they be doing technical work to whatever you find? Will they be moving and tuning the piano for you? Or, as Ed already asked, are they perhaps being paid by a dealer already?

Thanks for confirming that they usually charge for evaluation / assessment. I don’t think he’s paid by a dealer and I do think he takes pleasure in matching people to the right piano. Maybe i should mention that he’s an eclectic septuagenarian. I like him very much and don’t want to abuse of his passion and generosity. Will insist on paying him at next trip. Thank you.

S
Soojin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rickster
Ed and Rich always give great, professional advice.

If I understand your thread comments correctly, you are asking what technicians usually charge to help a client find a good used piano for sale? It seems to me that would be more of a brokerage or finder's service. Finding a good used piano being offered for sale and physically inspecting/evaluating it would be two different things for which a piano tech would charge for.

Your tech may not charge you just to help located a piano being offered for sale. I would call this a courtesy service being offered by your tech, perhaps in anticipation that you would hire them to inspect, tune and service the piano.

Currently, I'm not in the market for another piano, but it was a lot of fun finding my own prospects... smile

Good luck!

Rick

Thanks for the fine distinction. I was thinking of piano assessment, not locating.

It’s both daunting and exciting to be looking for a forever piano. I must have played close to 100 different pianos in my life. My focus until now has been to produce the most beautiful music on whatever piano and acoustics given to me. That sure helped train my ears (and fingers, heart and soul), but I’m finding that it’s quite different when I’m looking for “the one” at a significant price for myself! I’m definitely more interested in the mechanisms that lie behind the music stand and, for the first time, attentive to what sound and action speak to me. It’s wonderful to be able to choose. I’m thoroughly enjoying the journey and this forum has been invaluable. Thank you.

I would say the average piano tech inspection fee in my local area is somewhere between $75 and $100. It may be more (or less) in other locales. However, I'm sure it would also depend on the location/distance, and how far the tech would have to travel.

If your technician has agreed to do an inspection for you for free, that is a great deal, considering, as others have mentioned, there is no conflict of interest involved.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your selection!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I rarely have any vertical pianos for sale for the reason that the extent of work I put into my rebuilt pianos means the resultant sales price would be what most seekers of verticals wouldn't pay. So I too often help for free people who come to me well recommended in search of a quality vertical. I will scan CL and send them likely prospects. My hope is that someday they will want a grand and I will be their first choice.

I do offer a custom high-performance upright action of my own invention that an occasional pianist with limited room space purchases.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I’m definitely more interested in the mechanisms that lie behind the music stand and, for the first time, attentive to what sound and action speak to me...."

It used to be possible, and it may still be, to buy a piano whose case is made from Lucite. A special-order item, for a special taste. I think most people see as much as they care to by removing the music desk from the piano, so the action can be observed. But the best aspect of this is that the sound becomes very direct and fresh. I don't believe a Lucite case offers anything special in this regard.

As for your very accommodating piano guy. Why don't you have this conversation with him? I would imagine that he must have some idea of a minimum of income, below which his business would have to shutter the empty display windows. It seems that you do not feel entirely comfortable accepting his time and knowledge for free, probably anticipating what level of obligation to him you are incurring... possibly your idea of the top dollar for a piano purchase is much lower than his idea.

I wouldn't know which horse to bet on, in that race. But good luck to you anyway, and go ahead and step up to the parimutuel window--- somebody's got to win.

Clef

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
When I flew to Texas to evaluate a group of used pianos in basically one location the tech I hired (who had to drive about 90 mins each way) agreed on a flat fee for his day's advisory services. My local tech did not charge me for several phone consultations, knowing he would be the one regulating, voicing, and tuning the instrument once it arrived.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Ask you're technician. If you can't trust what they tell you then you have the wrong tech.

Steve

Bösendorfer 170
D
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
D
Markarian, I agree it is best to include your tech in the decision process. Your tech already has an understanding of your needs and can communicate these more directly with an out of town tech.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
B
BDB Offline
B
The appropriate fee is what the tech asks for, but you can offer more.

Semipro Tech
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
If you figure that most of us pros normally charge between $50 and $125 per hour (depending on location and certain other factors), once you have acquired the piano of your dreams, just do some mental math and hand him a wad that represents your appreciation for how he has treated you.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
Soojin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you very much for your replis. I was just getting to know him at the time but we are now trusting partners. His rate is $90 per visit in the same town, which seems to be in line with what some of you offered. He’s a great partner on this joint venture to find me a fine piano. Thank you all.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission