Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
60 registered members (5150917069, Arty Movie, Chris Vitale, apianostudent, beginer, BeeZee4, AZNpiano, Chrispy, 13 invisible), 10,036 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2849800
05/19/19 03:14 AM
05/19/19 03:14 AM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia
28. snowfox - A minor waltz
After learning to play piano for 2 years I've never played waltz and
I see that it can present quite a challange. You played it well with those tricky notes.

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202
It feels that this piece could be a great soundtrack for
some happy movie. I can see picures already. Loved the piece and
your playing.

31. RogerRL - Etude 9
I loved it from the first notes. It resonates with my feelings. Great playing with subtle dynamics. LOVED it. Will add the piece to my list of "wanna play" things.

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement
Lovely melodious playing. And I am sorry for your loss. Loved
the way you tell about your father in that thankfull manner. Great to feel connected to your parents, kind of connection you never lose.

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth
Welcome to Earth fello piano AB_player. I am really glad we have
new people here. Great playing for the one who has just started. It will be quite a journey for us.

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm
Oh...that's great. Like piano pieces of this style.

36. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Kiss the rain
Well....it's just unfair to have such skills among us "mortals". Just kidding. Great playing with a real feel to the piece and wonderful dynamics. Loved it.

37. JoBert - Adagio (KV 540)
One need a lot of time to get to know this piece and connect with it.
I guess it's like reading a book. Lovely playing.

38. torquenale (Alessandra) - Espana - Prelude
I wish you all the best with LIVE recital. I liked the way you played it.

I just can't live without some music in my life
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2849824
05/19/19 05:23 AM
05/19/19 05:23 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera Arrangements from musicals can be tricky and in ‘Phantom’ you had to manage changes of atmosphere, tempo and key. You handled all of this confidently - well done!

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement Short but very sweet indeed.

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt I’ve always loved ‘Pathetique’ and you did it justice. The video quality was great; including the sheet music was a nice touch for those who (like me) enjoy reading along.

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16) Excellent - you’ve made wonderful progress in only 14 months!

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven Simply stunning! thumb

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LV

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2849825
05/19/19 05:40 AM
05/19/19 05:40 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
I have to say I have really enjoyed the thought and consideration MarieJ has put into each piece of the recital.

Thanks.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: KevinM] #2849834
05/19/19 06:20 AM
05/19/19 06:20 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
Originally Posted by KevinM
I have to say I have really enjoyed the thought and consideration MarieJ has put into each piece of the recital.

Thanks.

Wow - thanks, Kevin!

I had actually been wondering whether my comments were really worth posting. As I’ve said previously, I’m not equipped to give constructive feedback, particularly on performances of the classical compositions which make up the majority of submissions in each Recital.

But I’m painfully aware of the countless hours of concentrated effort that have gone into every piece, no matter what level or type. And I know how much I value comments on my pieces, which show that someone has listened, and motivate me to keep playing. So I’ll continue offering my unashamedly subjective but heartfelt applause - you all deserve it!. thumb

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2849848
05/19/19 07:04 AM
05/19/19 07:04 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by "peterws"
8 KevinM

There's a mature, feelgood about most of Mendellsohn's work. That's why it's so often used in churches. Your piano sounded very well. A very nice listen but could you lift up the light and shade just a bit more?

Perhaps exposing my ignorance. But I'd like to ask what you mean by lifting up the light and shade a bit more. Do you mean greater contrast between the two?

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2849850
05/19/19 07:07 AM
05/19/19 07:07 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain) What a delightful piece - terrific!

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor A privilege to listen to your performance. That was fabulous!

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses If you’d had time to prepare the Clementi, we wouldn’t have been able to enjoy this bright, well-played little Tansman. (And anyway, we don’t lie, we encourage.)

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach I really liked that arrangement, and the fact that you gave it to us ‘warts and all’ rather than miss a Recital. I’d love to hear it again when it is ‘finished’.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight A lovely touch on a delicate little piece - it left me wanting more. (At 5am, maybe it should have been ‘The Song of Dawn’.)

56. Sam S - November Fire I’ve saved this up until the end to hear you playing anything vaguely like Einaudi, Sam. I couldn’t find him in it, but that didn’t stop me enjoying your performance!

And a VERY big thank-you for taking on the extra work involved in the Recitals. I’ve said many times (but I’m going to say it again): they keep me at the piano. Without the discipline of preparing for a Recital each quarter, I really wonder whether I’d still be playing every single day.

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MarieJ] #2849854
05/19/19 07:08 AM
05/19/19 07:08 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by MarieJ

Thanks.

Wow - thanks, Kevin!

I had actually been wondering whether my comments were really worth posting. As I’ve said previously, I’m not equipped to give constructive feedback, particularly on performances of the classical compositions which make up the majority of submissions in each Recital.

I know exactly what you mean. I am in the same position as you and not equipped to provide constructive feedback and as a result my responses were often brief even though I enjoyed the whole recital. Your comments however have resulted in me going back and listening again to a few of the pieces again.

But I’m painfully aware of the countless hours of concentrated effort that have gone into every piece, no matter what level or type. And I know how much I value comments on my pieces, which show that someone has listened, and motivate me to keep playing. So I’ll continue offering my unashamedly subjective but heartfelt applause - you all deserve it!. thumb

So much truth in this.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2849889
05/19/19 09:17 AM
05/19/19 09:17 AM
S
snowfox Offline
snowfox  Offline
S

Thank you everybody for the feedbacks, it meant a lot to me. Also it was interesting to read the comments regarding the other recordings. I found the whole recital very inspiring, the performances have really high quality.

I was very happy to get to know new composers and pieces, and also to have the opportunity to listen to some of my old favourites.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret This piece by Tiersen was new for me, you played it very professional and sensitively!

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy I really loved your choice and play, I haven't heard this Fogg-song yet, but it immediately took me to the past.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) You played it very delicately. The piece reminded me to Grieg's Little bird (op. 43.-4.)

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 I heard this piece for first time in my life one day before the recital, and decided to learn it as soon as I finish my current piece, so I was very happy to find it on the recital list the next day! Now as I'm learning it, I've just realized, how challenging the fingering is in this piece. You played it very nice and soft!

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202 Albeniz is one of my new favourites, I often listen to his pieces in the evenings. I liked your play very much, caught the mood and atmosphere for sure!

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm Loved the original, loved yours!

Last edited by snowfox; 05/19/19 09:18 AM.
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: KevinM] #2849938
05/19/19 11:05 AM
05/19/19 11:05 AM
Maine
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maine
Originally Posted by noobpianist90

[b]04. Peyton - Porz Goret

I liked it a lot. Lot of good things going on there. The music goes very well with the scenery.
One thing I did note was that the accompaniment could have been softer in some places. Especially when the music becomes a bit dissonant and the right hand becomes silent. For example, the part around 2:13. Of course, I could be completely wrong and the sheet music may indicate the opposite, but this is how I might have liked to interpret it smile

It's not really written one way or the other but I like your suggestions. I'm almost totally deaf in my left ear so sometimes I'm not as careful with volume as I should be. If I don't watch my self I will almost always play too loudly.

Originally Posted by cmb13

04. Peyton - Porz Goret Nice playing, and good video production.

Thanks. The only problem I've been having with the video of late is for some reason the video and the audio get out of synch. (I record the audio separate from the vid.) I get it to where I'm sure they are lined up, put it up on youtube and... they get out of synch. but I do really enjoy working on the videos.

Originally Posted by Sam S

I've never heard this - loved it! Your videos are always so artistic - and they match your pieces very well...

Thanks. The shots were from my camp on Arrowsic Island.

Originally Posted by barbaram

04. Peyton - Porz Goret
Lovely. I really enjoy the soothing, mesmeric quality of Tiersen. Love Glass too, but soothing is perhaps not the adjective I’d apply to his work

Thanks. There are a few other pieces from his latest I'm working on as well. but this was my favorite.

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

A lovely piece, very evocative.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by jotur
04. Peyton - Porz Goret Yes, quite lovely and full of charm. Well played with a very nice feel to it.

Thanks.

Wow - Peyton, that was a really special treat for Tiersen fans! Loved the piece, loved the way you played it, loved the video. Thank you!

I'm surprised, considering the amount of Einaudi fans here we don't hear more Tierson.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret

I love that you can hear two different melodies.

For sure. Thanks.

"Nothing moves...where would it go?"
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850032
05/19/19 02:55 PM
05/19/19 02:55 PM
Italy
torquenale Offline
500 Post Club Member
torquenale  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Italy
Thanks a lot to everybody who listened to my submission, and special gratitude to the commenters.

I think the piece is ready for the recital this Saturday, not the same for the other one which is a four-hand Menuet by Debussy (from Petite suite); I always find it difficult play with others, I fear I'm going to spoil everything. Fortunately this time I'm playing with my teacher. grin

cmb13, this is the sound of my piano after my new technician voiced it in November, a great improvement because my upright was unbearably bright before. The only manipulation I used on my recording, if I remember correctly, is that I wanted to use normalize but applied amplify. I'm highly uneducated in these things, and the last time I did it a couple of years ago. crazy

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850035
05/19/19 03:03 PM
05/19/19 03:03 PM
Jason Lenthe Offline
Jason Lenthe  Offline

Well done, I want to play this piece soon and I know it isn't going to be easy. It is quite an awkward piece.

I found it 95% straightforward myself (which just means that I finally selected a piece that is not above my ability for a change). The requisite skills are probably left hand octave arpeggios and scale fragments and the knowing the standard chords and inversions in the keys of A and D major reasonably well for the right hand. The one thing that was surprisingly awkward was playing a fast B major chord in the 2nd inversion followed by an E major chord in the 2nd inversion. I had to work a lot to smooth that out (and I'm not sure I ever quite got it perfect). It's definitely a fun piece to play, though.

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

Wow, does this ever convey its title: it really conjures up An Important Event!

It sure does. Thank you for listening.

That piece is reminiscent of a fanfare - which would be appropriate for an ‘important event’. You handled it very well.

That's a well-fitting comparison which I hadn't thought of before. Thank you!

Originally Posted by barbaram

As I listen to your piece I can really imagine a little boy all dressed up for an important event, perhaps a little suit and short trousers, and taking himself and the event very seriously indeed!

Definitely. That's what I envision as well. I think one of the things that creates this effect is how he takes a very regal sounding theme and repeats it an octave too low. That regal theme ends up going all the way down to the bottom of the keyboard and giving the piece a childish humorousness while still sounding regal.

Originally Posted by jotur

I loved it! So jolly and jaunty, and your touch was perfect.

Thank you, so much.

Originally Posted by Sam S

Outstanding - you played it like you meant it!

Thank you, both for the comment and for administering the recital.

Originally Posted by Riddler

I know nothing about this piece, but it does indeed have a majestic, stately feel to it, which your playing brings out superbly. Well done!

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by cmb13

enjoyed it, Jason, good playing.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by AssociateX

It was refreshing to hear this at this tempo, usually the professional recordings race through this piece at a faster clip. It is nice to hear every articulated note clearly.

It is really great to hear this feedback since I naturally tend to play everything too fast and at an inconsistent tempo. I have really been focusing lately on using the metronome and playing things at a slower tempo with greater precision. My score recommended 120 bpm, but I think the piece sounds energetic enough at 100 bpm. Thank you!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850037
05/19/19 03:07 PM
05/19/19 03:07 PM
Italy
torquenale Offline
500 Post Club Member
torquenale  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Italy
I'm now enjoying the recital, so far I listened to half of the pieces and I found the usual mix of styles, levels and sounds I like so much.
I missed many recitals and now I can appreciate great improvements in many of the "old" performers and many new piano lovers submitting their pieces: love for music is in every note.

Applause to this community! smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850124
05/19/19 07:37 PM
05/19/19 07:37 PM
Canada
Serge88 Offline

Silver Subscriber
Serge88  Offline

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Canada
Another great recital,

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle
I enjoyed listen to your piece. I didn't know this piece.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15)
Nice recording of and good playing. A Digital piano really ?

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin
Well played with good expression.

31. RogerRL - Etude 9
Nice recording of an grand acoustic, good playing.

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden
That was wonderfully played.

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain)
Well played.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.”
– Maria Cristina

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850134
05/19/19 07:52 PM
05/19/19 07:52 PM
Canada
Serge88 Offline

Silver Subscriber
Serge88  Offline

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Canada
Next...

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca
Wonderful piece and good rendition.

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October
Interesting piece. Well done !

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784
Nice playing, keep up the good work!

32. Balezin Dmitry - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
I enjoyed it, very nice.

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4
Wonderful!

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor
Great playing.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.”
– Maria Cristina

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850173
05/19/19 10:19 PM
05/19/19 10:19 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt
Beautiful!! Loved it! Green with envy!

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16)
Well executed, delightful to listen to.

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor
Played with precision and high energy. Very lively and appealing. Well done!

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach
Love this piece. Did you record the flute part separately? Off to a good start, I am hoping to hear the finished version next time.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight
This piece has a quiet sadness to it, very profound. Well played!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850225
05/20/19 03:45 AM
05/20/19 03:45 AM
mr_super-hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member
mr_super-hunky  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle Very nice wouter. I enjoyed the melody and especially the cadence of this piece. I only wish it were a bit longer, possibly a repeat with the second verse an octave higher. Well done.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret This was a very delicate piece that was nicely played. I especially enjoyed the attention you gave to the phrasing throughout the piece like gentle waves flowing in and out. nicely done.

05. MarieJ - Limbo (You certainly captured the essence of this piece Marie with patience and control (something I struggle with!). Very nice to listen to.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) This was a very nice piece which sounded very 'poppy' and delicate and your performance of it was excellent. I only wish it were longer as it left me wanting more.

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Nice job with this Craig. You playing was excellent and I must say that your piano sounds fantastic! Well done all around.

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Wow Peter, I absolutely loved this piece. (I'm a sucker for dreamy chords !). This piece has a sound similar to Jim Chappell's music such as "Living the Northern summer" which I like very much.. One of my recital favorites. You have a lot of creative talent hiding inside ;I can tell!

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) You played this beautifully with incredible attention to emotion and phrasing. It sounded like a professional recording it was so good. Nicely done.

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin This piece was simple & beautiful. 'simply beautiful"! I can hear the emotion coming through as though Einaudi was saying farewell to a friend, or until we meet again. You did a nice job with this Monica.

24. Riddler (Ed) - Maiden Voyage This was beautiful Riddler. The music grabbed me from the very beginning and I loved the dreamy-flowing sounds of the chord progression throughout the piece. Very nice, another one of my

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm[/b ] Wow, and I mean WOW; that's what I call an entrance! Very lively and a pleasure to listen to. I loved the upbeat rhythm you in put into this. Great job.

[b]43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March
This was great Cathy. The variations in volume & phrasing really made the piece stand out. Very well played.

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue You did a great job with this piece, very sultry, even swanky! I enjoyed it very much.

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera Nice playing here Handyman. Excellent timing and rhythm along with all the dramatic chords. I've always loved this piece and you did a nice job with it.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850456
05/20/19 02:39 PM
05/20/19 02:39 PM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia
Everyone is quiet ...guess Monday has come. I have last bunch of comments.

39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version)
I liked the middle part of the piece,well everything after 1st minute.
I can only play from memory, so I envy those people who can actually sight-read music. So, great work.

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden
I love songs and covers. Think this one is played really well. Loved melody and chards that support it. Very fluent playing.

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4
Great dynamics. Very lyrical. Nice flow of melody. Like it.

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons"
I guess there're a lot of pages to learn this one. Hard to get it in memory. Great work.

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue
Great listening. Very soothing and calm. Loved the way you played it.

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera
JUST SO GREAT...that constant pulse of low notes creates such tention...great contral of dynamics. LOVED your performance.
It was a PLEASURE, sir.

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt
I have passion for those low chords...soft and calm. Loved the piece
and the way you played it.

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, -BWV 990, Var 16)

50. zsolpyW - UnforgivenI have no words. I loved the song and your performance did it justice... Oh, yeah. I've heard of Vkgoeswild...some of here performances have such power. I REALLY 100% enjoyed the song.

I need those scores badly!!!

I just can't live without some music in my life
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2850566
05/21/19 12:46 AM
05/21/19 12:46 AM
India
N
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

India
11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15)
That was very nice! A very enthsiastic, lively piece! I totally got the images of little birds. Well played!
The blend of the two pianos was very interesting, but I'm not sure how well suited it is for classical music. It sounds like playing mellow, dark pieces with this tone might be challenging. It sounds a bit like a chorus or tremolo guitar amplifier effect to me. It would sound fantastic for some bright, pop/rock piano music.

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October
Wow! That was an excellent performance, polished to perfection. I absolutely loved it! I listened to it many times The music sounds very wistful and nostalgic to me, and also, in some places evokes feelings of longing and regret.
Your new piano also sounds wonderful. Do you find it a lot easier to play on the Steinway compared to your Boston? I'm not talking about the sound, I mean more about playability and fine-grained control.

13. EdmondRhapsody - Faded
That was nice! I liked it. Well played.
I'm very sure I've heard the melody before. It sounds very similar to some pop song which I can't quite put my finger on. Or maybe I've heard this piece as a background music in some movie or TV show?

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking
That was very nice! I liked it a lot. I always look forward to listening to your compositions.
It does indeed sound wistful at times, but I also felt that some of the chords reminded me of the sun coming out on a cloudy day. It also had a bit of a jazzy feel to it. Was that because of the 7th(9th?) chords?

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6)
That was excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it! A highly polished rendition.
This is one of my favourite Songs Without Words. I tried to learn this a couple of years ago, but I wasn't quite ready for it then. When I try again, I'm definitely going to come back to your recording and listen again.
On an interpretive note, I think I might have liked it with a slightly slower tempo overall. That being said, I love the way you slow down in some places to build the tension. It was very subtly done, but it adds a lot of character IMO. This won't be very effective if played too slow overall.

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event
Well played. It is refreshing to hear it at this tempo. It's played too fast in most recordings.

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation
Your improvisations are a bit challenging for me to listen to grin I generally find it difficult to immediately decide whether I like an unusual (to me) piece of music or not.
I must have listened to your recording about 5 or 6 times. There are some parts that I like a lot, especially the beginning.
While I could enjoy some of the sections in isolation, I couldn't enjoy the piece as a whole. Generally when I improvise, I like it to be around a theme or an idea, and then improvise freely around that theme. I find it a bit challenging to listen to (seemingly) random music. Thanks for sharing though, I like being challenged grin I hope you don't think I was being too negative.

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle)
That was quite nice. You played it well overall.
I'm quite familiar with this piece. I started learning it for the Slavic Themed Recital last year. I just couldn't finish learning all of it in time. I finished the first and third sections, but couldn't finish the second section in time. I've set it aside for now. I plan to re-visit it soon.
There are a few mistakes, yes, but they didn't take away from the performance too much. I listen more to the shape of the performance to get an idea of your interpretive decisions and learn from them.
With respect to interpretation, I think I prefer this piece played at a slower tempo in the first and third sections and a contrasting faster tempo in the second section. Just my opinion smile
I think your recording equipment doesn't do your playing justice. Also, I think I would have preferred a horizontal video.

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3
That was very nice! As you say, it is very beautiful, and you played it very well.
This is a new piece for me. I haven't listened to all that much of Brahms. I liked it a lot. I think I might want to learn this as my first Brahms piece smile
Also, not having looked at the sheet music, and not having head this piece before, I couldn't really make out any wrong note.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: noobpianist90] #2850573
05/21/19 01:24 AM
05/21/19 01:24 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by noobpianist90

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation
Your improvisations are a bit challenging for me to listen to grin I generally find it difficult to immediately decide whether I like an unusual (to me) piece of music or not.
I must have listened to your recording about 5 or 6 times. There are some parts that I like a lot, especially the beginning.
While I could enjoy some of the sections in isolation, I couldn't enjoy the piece as a whole. Generally when I improvise, I like it to be around a theme or an idea, and then improvise freely around that theme. I find it a bit challenging to listen to (seemingly) random music. Thanks for sharing though, I like being challenged grin I hope you don't think I was being too negative.

If you actually bothered to listen to it repeatedly for thirty minutes, that is a wonderful compliment, thank you. Our musical brains and tastes are all different and no use pretending otherwise. Everything is subjective in art because in order to create you have to be no one but yourself; to do otherwise is just following somebody else's dream, which is a sad waste of consciousness. Structure is just an optional musical property like harmony, rhythm, melody and anything else, if you enjoy it use it, if you don't then give it the heave-ho. Either way the piano police are unlikely to arrive on the doorstep. Constant challenge and reaching out every time I improvise are essential to me, else I would prefer to work in the garden. Your comments are most perceptive and not at all negative, thanks again.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MarieJ] #2850576
05/21/19 01:40 AM
05/21/19 01:40 AM
California, United States
T
ThomasPiano Offline
ThomasPiano  Offline
T

California, United States
All I can say is thank you to everyone that watched my performance! I am very grateful and fully appreciate the feedback I have received. I will take it and use it to improve on myself and I am also inspired by all of the talent that is found here. I am grateful to be a part of this 🙂

Last edited by ThomasPiano; 05/21/19 01:43 AM.

thomasn
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
homage to bach
by OscoBosco. 09/18/19 11:53 PM
Kawai CS8 and ES8
by Dkrs60. 09/18/19 08:39 PM
Yamaha Motif XS8
by P W Grey. 09/18/19 08:22 PM
Rhetorical Question about Piano Placement
by Deltajockey. 09/18/19 08:04 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,100
Posts2,870,918
Members94,446
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission