Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (Beowulf, albydooby, Boboulus, Animisha, Ankee, Bett, astrotoy, 16 invisible), 720 guests, and 427 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: ando] #2848643 05/16/19 03:28 AM
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by Pete14
There will be no N2X.

Sure there will - if only to make sense of the gap between n1x and n3x. Yamaha just likes to take their time. There's (some) method in their madness.

The problem, at least for me, is the form factor or size of the N1X is too big compared to an upright, so there’s a gap there to be filled in the market, unless Yamaha think it’s plugged with the CLP series.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: spanishbuddha] #2848647 05/16/19 03:47 AM
T
thomscot Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
There will be no N2X.

Sure there will - if only to make sense of the gap between n1x and n3x. Yamaha just likes to take their time. There's (some) method in their madness.

The problem, at least for me, is the form factor or size of the N1X is too big.

Actually that was another factor in favor of N2 vs N1X for me. Size. I live in Japan where houses are generally quite small (especially in central Tokyo), so every inch you can save matters. And in general esthetically speaking I like the N2 better than the N1X.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: Kawai James] #2848651 05/16/19 03:53 AM
T
thomscot Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats!

I expect you may be referring to "TransAcoustic" - which is the name of Yamaha's acoustic instruments with silencing and soundboard amplification features. Kawai "AnytimeX" and "AURES" instrument offer the same functionality.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you.

And yes, I think that was it, although I couldn't swear it. Is it a recent technology? I remember the silecing thing has been there for a while but I don't recall having heard about the TransAcoustic thing before.

But well, I have never been much of a technical person when it comes to pianos. For me they have always been just things with black and white keys that can be source of both great pleasure and great frustration. smile

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2848679 05/16/19 07:00 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by thomscot
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats!

I expect you may be referring to "TransAcoustic" - which is the name of Yamaha's acoustic instruments with silencing and soundboard amplification features. Kawai "AnytimeX" and "AURES" instrument offer the same functionality.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you.

And yes, I think that was it, although I couldn't swear it. Is it a recent technology? I remember the silecing thing has been there for a while but I don't recall having heard about the TransAcoustic thing before.

But well, I have never been much of a technical person when it comes to pianos. For me they have always been just things with black and white keys that can be source of both great pleasure and great frustration. smile

The Yamaha TransAcoustic pianos are cool, and expensive. Basically, two devices, called transducers, are mounted to the piano’s soundboard in order to play back digitally generated sounds. Voilà, no speakers required, the soundboard becomes a speaker! It is a regular acoustic piano, with hammers and strings.

Here is a review:

If my wife is adamant that we should not own both an upright and a keyboard when I decide to get an acoustic piano then a TransAcoustic will be put on my list of alternatives.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/16/19 07:01 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2848699 05/16/19 07:59 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
There will be no N2X.
The problem, at least for me, is the form factor or size of the N1X is too big.
Actually that was another factor in favor of N2 vs N1X for me. Size. I live in Japan where houses are generally quite small (especially in central Tokyo), so every inch you can save matters. And in general esthetically speaking I like the N2 better than the N1X.

I have a Tokyo-size flat in Washington DC! So to fit my new N1X, I will literally be hiring an interior designer to reorganize my space and replace some of my furniture. It will take 4-6 weeks in total. (Part of my piano commitment! grin )

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2848716 05/16/19 08:46 AM
P
Pete14 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
It seems like the N1X is holding up just fine against the NV10 (never mind its lower price).
So let’s say that Yamaha ends up releasing an N2X similarly priced to the NV10; could the N1X and the N2X unite forces to slowly corral the vulnerable NV10 and consequently destroy it?
Unless, of course, the NV20 shows up to save the day.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848717 05/16/19 08:46 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I have a Tokyo-size flat in Washington DC! So to fit my new N1X, I will literally be hiring an interior designer to reorganize my space and replace some of my furniture. It will take 4-6 weeks in total. (Part of my piano commitment! grin )

I live in a relatively small one bedroom in New York City.

To truly figure out what we’re each dealing with in terms of space, we’ll need to mention sizes, lol.

The real estate listing claims my apartment is 800 square feet. I have lived in a 425 sq ft studio. Every inch matters.

In Japan, isn’t the measurement by number of tatami mats?

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2848719 05/16/19 08:50 AM
P
Pete14 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I agree that every inch matters, so yes, “we’ll need to mention sizes!”

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2848725 05/16/19 09:04 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
I love the size of the N2. The N1, N1X is a little bit too big for me.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2848731 05/16/19 09:16 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Not that I'd say no to an N1X, mind you!

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: johnstaf] #2848744 05/16/19 09:52 AM
P
percy64 Offline
P
Originally Posted by johnstaf

I wonder why the N1/N1X is bigger (deeper) than the N2 - I guess it must be something to do with speaker positioning

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: percy64] #2848762 05/16/19 10:33 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by percy64
Originally Posted by johnstaf

I wonder why the N1/N1X is bigger (deeper) than the N2 - I guess it must be something to do with speaker positioning

I was thinking the same. It's a shame they don't make a version with no speakers at all, or at least the smallest the action would allow.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: LarryK] #2850158 05/19/19 08:23 PM
T
thomscot Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by LarryK

Yes it generally is, although nowadays most of the time you find both tatami and square meters. Usually they use tatami for the single rooms and express the area of the whole house in square meters.

Currently I live in a flat that is overall about 475 square feet. The room where the piano will go is about 175. It's the main and only room after all, excluding kitchen and restroom.

The funny part is that this is by far the BIGGEST flat I have ever lived in in Japan. (The smallest being 205 square feet). But I always had a (digital) piano.

Re: Would you buy a Yamaha N2 today? [Re: thomscot] #2858145 06/13/19 10:22 AM
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by LarryK

Yes it generally is, although nowadays most of the time you find both tatami and square meters. Usually they use tatami for the single rooms and express the area of the whole house in square meters.

Currently I live in a flat that is overall about 475 square feet. The room where the piano will go is about 175. It's the main and only room after all, excluding kitchen and restroom.

The funny part is that this is by far the BIGGEST flat I have ever lived in in Japan. (The smallest being 205 square feet). But I always had a (digital) piano.

Most Americans are living in houses that range from 2000 to 5000 square feet. Somehow they still can’t store all their stuff at home so they rent storage units! Crazy.

It’s all I can do to maintain 800 square feet. The 425 square foot studio I lived in was intelligently laid out, in the 1930s, with windows in the kitchen, bathroom, and living room. Back then, I was playing the violin, but there is always room for a small piano, as you know.

One important thing for me is to live in a unit with two exposures, so you get cross ventilation. That means corner apartments. My current place, also built in the 1930s, has two exposures. Every apartment in my building has two exposures, except for some of the studios. They don’t build like that anymore.

I could always use one more room, though. My old Russian violin teacher told me that a farmer with one cow is not jealous of a farmer with one hundred cows, he is jealous of the farmer with two cows.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dampers on a Yamaha upright
by JuanTenorio - 12/06/19 08:44 PM
Another mental health thread: What if....
by malkin - 12/06/19 08:43 PM
Telecom Beethoven Competition
by pianoloverus - 12/06/19 08:36 PM
Note reading: low to high?
by DutchTea - 12/06/19 07:38 PM
Chopin 10/8 —Do I have idiots ffor fingers
by Coda9 - 12/06/19 07:03 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,538
Posts2,899,246
Members95,167
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission