2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
opus64 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hello,

It looks like i'm buying a Steinway B form a dealer that is 5 hours away from where I live. it is in Wisconsin and I'm in Indiana. I have been looking at moving options and have been a little thrown off by the time estimates from the big carriers on google, 30 days to pick up 30 days to deliver for what is a 5 hour drive. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives. Ideally I would like to just hire a piano mover for a day or two from either home town and have them do it, even if it is significantly more expensive. I asked a local piano mover but they said they don't do out of state due to insurance costs(?)

I was also thinking I could rent a truck and have the dealer load it and a local piano mover unload it, i'm not sure if that is a real option and was wondering if anyone thinks that is a good idea.

If anyone has any other suggestions, perhaps contacts around this region please let me know.

Thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by opus64
Hello,

It looks like i'm buying a Steinway B form a dealer that is 5 hours away from where I live. it is in Wisconsin and I'm in Indiana. I have been looking at moving options and have been a little thrown off by the time estimates from the big carriers on google, 30 days to pick up 30 days to deliver for what is a 5 hour drive. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives. Ideally I would like to just hire a piano mover for a day or two from either home town and have them do it, even if it is significantly more expensive. I asked a local piano mover but they said they don't do out of state due to insurance costs(?)

I was also thinking I could rent a truck and have the dealer load it and a local piano mover unload it, i'm not sure if that is a real option and was wondering if anyone thinks that is a good idea.

If anyone has any other suggestions, perhaps contacts around this region please let me know.

Thanks.

I don't know your local area, but here, I did enquire about that option many years ago with a humble upright piano, and I couldn't get insurance for even a short DIY shift.

Are there any larger piano removalists which transport cross country - they might be looking for a back-load? Does the piano dealer know of any options?

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Find a mover who will do an "in house" move in your area. Trailer to in the house. Ask to rent a dolly and grand board. Some rental places have them too. Also they are not too hard to make if your a handy person. Then with a trailer and equipment you could either hire a local mover at the pick up location or find other help.
Good Luck,
-chris

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Here are 2 good piano movers here in the chicago area. I know the first one is national, not sure about Cordogan's. Cordogan's is a large piano dealer, it's where I bought my piano.

www.qualitypianomoving.com

Cordogan's Pianoland, Ask for Jeff Dunn or Rick Hansen 630-584-5000

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Have you asked the dealer? What does the dealer suggest?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
B
Dang, that sure is a long time. I recently bought a piano (also a Steinway B) in Honolulu, 225 miles away and on a different island, which required a ocean voyage on the inter-island barge. Yet, for all that, it left the store Tuesday morning and was in my house, ready to play, by Friday afternoon. I would be concerned about what sort of environment your piano would be in during a 30 day voyage. Will it be getting baked, etc?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
What kind of dealer sells pianos and then lets the customer figure out shipping? I would let the dealer know that the sale is contingent on them setting up delivery that you are satisfied with, my guess is that will motivate them to sort this out.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by BigIslandGuy
Dang, that sure is a long time. I recently bought a piano (also a Steinway B) in Honolulu, 225 miles away and on a different island, which required a ocean voyage on the inter-island barge. Yet, for all that, it left the store Tuesday morning and was in my house, ready to play, by Friday afternoon. I would be concerned about what sort of environment your piano would be in during a 30 day voyage. Will it be getting baked, etc?

Actually, it's 60 days... 30 days pick-up and then 30 days delivery. I've gotten a quote or two from the large trucking transport companies when considering a piano long distance. This has been explained here before in the past, but what they do, in order to remain profitable, I guess, is once they take your order for transport to and from they will wait until they have other pick-ups and/or deliveries going in that direction. When you use their trucking service to move your piano you are basically on a waiting list waiting until other pianos near yours (to and from) are on the schedule as well.

In other words, they will not run their tractor-trailer trucks to move one piano hundreds of miles. Also, they only deliver (and pick-up) at a business address with a proper semi-loading dock. It doesn't have to be a piano company; it can be any business with a loading dock where they can unload their cargo ASAP and then be on their way. You have to have the regular piano movers at both ends to assist in getting the piano ready to load on the tractor-trailer, as they only have one driver (usually) there to help.

If you can wait, it is still the most economical long-distance piano movers available.

Personally, I like Chris Chernobieff's suggestion.

Good luck and congratulations on the Steinway B!!! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John305
What kind of dealer sells pianos and then lets the customer figure out shipping? I would let the dealer know that the sale is contingent on them setting up delivery that you are satisfied with, my guess is that will motivate them to sort this out.

+1

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I would find/rent a truck it move it myself with local piano guys putting it in/out truck.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
I would find/rent a truck it move it myself with local piano guys putting it in/out truck.

But ensure you've got it insured specifying you are doing it yourself - or you may not have a Steinway B any longer if the worst happens.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
S
spk Online Happy
Online Happy
S
My technician who also moves pianos said that the standard rent your own moving trucks sometimes don’t have great supporting structures inside to secure your 750lb piano to. It can be a problem if turn too quickly, with an otherwise empty truck.

There are small piano moving companies driving all over the country at any given time. Someone must be around your area at some point. You may just have to wait a month or 2, depending on route, when truck is full, etc.

I’ve had very good luck with Kelly at A sharp piano movers for 2 deliveries. They are based in LA but are all over the place. They recently dropped off my Grotrian in Texas then headed to the East Coast. They were driving around with 6 grands in the truck. Maybe they can swing by your area.

Last edited by spk; 05/19/19 01:30 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't use just any mover. You need to use a professional piano mover. Surely the dealer you bought it from works with a professional mover or can recommend one in his area.

I had my piano delivered from Denver (5 hours away) by my dealer's chosen moving company. They only moves pianos....Extreme Piano Moving. I include a link to their site as they have a photo gallery showing the kinds of "extreme" moving they have done. It cost $800 but was worth it for the peace of mind that these guys knew what they were doing. They were extraordinary. You don't want to trust your Steinway B to just anyone!

August Förster 215
O
opus64 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Apologies for the late reply. Wow this forum is truly invaluable for newbies like myself, thank you for all the responses.

I called and left several messages for piano movers on both ends. I was all ready to order the board/dolly rent a truck and got a call back from one piano mover on the Wisconsin side that will do it. The shop owner was also able to find another piano mover that will do it as well, so I am going with the suggestion from the shop owner. Hopefully it should all happen by next week!

Last edited by opus64; 05/19/19 05:14 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by opus64
Apologies for the late reply. Wow this forum is truly invaluable for newbies like myself, thank you for all the responses.

I called and left several messages for piano movers on both ends. I was all ready to order the board/dolly rent a truck and got a call back from one piano mover on the Wisconsin side that will do it. The shop owner was also able to find another piano mover that will do it as well, so I am going with the suggestion from the shop owner. Hopefully it should all happen by next week!

Congratulations on finding a good solution toward getting your new piano moved! I hope it all works out well for you!

And, congratulations on the Steinway B! Post pictures here when you can!

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So glad your dealer had a local mover who could do the job!

August Förster 215

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission