Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
118 registered members (AaronSF, amad23, ando, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 31 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 46 of 88 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 87 88
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2850052
05/19/19 03:44 PM
05/19/19 03:44 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

All of your talk about Meguiars Wax is making me want to order some and try it when my piano arrives this week. But I've never as much waxed a car and don't know how to do it. Is there a website or something about what to do with the wax once you have it.

I've been real happy with the Meguiars Wax (I use their "Ultimate" liquid synthetic wax) on my cars and therefore, that's what I used on my piano. It smells so nice. smile

Get some good microfiber cloths. Be careful to avoid ones with large boarders around them because that can mar the finish. On the piano I used the microfiber cloths for both application and removal. The normal applicator pad that I use on my cars seemed a little too abrasive for the high polish finish on the N1X. It was probably an unnecessary precaution on my part. There are some nice videos on the Meguiar's website that demonstrate how to use their products.

Dust removal and care has been easier after the wax application. My microfiber dusting cloth glides smoothly over the piano removing the smaller amount of dust that collects. The piano now smells good, looks good, and feels good to the touch.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-39 Completed
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Peter 512] #2850057
05/19/19 03:54 PM
05/19/19 03:54 PM
London, United Kingdom
H
Hecarim Offline
Hecarim  Offline
H

London, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Peter 512

also, is it necessary to leave the instrument 15 cm away from the wall?

Is this true? I assumed 3-4 cm to allow enough space for the plug, but 15?

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Hecarim] #2850059
05/19/19 03:57 PM
05/19/19 03:57 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Hecarim
Originally Posted by Peter 512
also, is it necessary to leave the instrument 15 cm away from the wall?
Is this true? I assumed 3-4 cm to allow enough space for the plug, but 15?

From p.7 of the N1X Owner's Manual:
Place the instrument away from the wall by at least 15 cm to optimize and enhance the sound effect. If you find the instrument shaky or unstable after installing, insert the included felt strips. For details, refer to the instructions supplied with the felt strips.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850060
05/19/19 04:03 PM
05/19/19 04:03 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Mine didn't come with "felt strips."

The only felt that came with mine was the red key felt. confused

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850063
05/19/19 04:15 PM
05/19/19 04:15 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by David B

All of your talk about Meguiars Wax is making me want to order some and try it when my piano arrives this week. But I've never as much waxed a car and don't know how to do it. Is there a website or something about what to do with the wax once you have it.

I've been real happy with the Meguiars Wax (I use their "Ultimate" liquid synthetic wax) on my cars and therefore, that's what I used on my piano. It smells so nice. smile

Get some good microfiber cloths. Be careful to avoid ones with large boarders around them because that can mar the finish. On the piano I used the microfiber cloths for both application and removal. The normal applicator pad that I use on my cars seemed a little too abrasive for the high polish finish on the N1X. It was probably an unnecessary precaution on my part. There are some nice videos on the Meguiar's website that demonstrate how to use their products.

Dust removal and care has been easier after the wax application. My microfiber dusting cloth glides smoothly over the piano removing the smaller amount of dust that collects. The piano now smells good, looks good, and feels good to the touch.

God Bless,
David

Thanks. I ordered the wax and the cloths. Looking forward to my piano not turning into a big dust bunny.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850068
05/19/19 04:36 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Cool!

You might also want to consider this cleaner. It's a water-based, non-abrasive cleaner that will remove surface contaminants and wax. It's good if you decide you want to remove the wax you put on or to clean the surface before applying wax if necessary.

I've also been using this key cleaner. So far it's working good.

Some people probably don't fuss as much over their pianos, but for me it's part of the enjoyment of owning and playing the instrument. I like sitting down to a nice shiny and clean piano. I like driving a shiny and clean car, shooting a clean gun, etc.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/19/19 04:37 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850069
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm surprised that you're using wax.
I've been real happy with the Meguiars Wax (I use their "Ultimate" liquid synthetic wax) on my cars and therefore, that's what I used on my piano.
I thought the N1X has the polished ebony finish. If so ... that finish does not need wax. It shines like a mirror.

And it should! There's 15 pounds of that finish on my Clav. There's probably even more on the bigger N1X.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: MacMacMac] #2850075
05/19/19 04:47 PM
05/19/19 04:47 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I'm surprised that you're using wax.
I've been real happy with the Meguiars Wax (I use their "Ultimate" liquid synthetic wax) on my cars and therefore, that's what I used on my piano.
I thought the N1X has the polished ebony finish. If so ... that finish does not need wax. It shines like a mirror.

And it should! There's 15 pounds of that finish on my Clav. There's probably even more on the bigger N1X.

It's more for protection (especially if your piano is exposed to sunlight) than shine. Although it does enhance the shine. The dust settles on top of the waxed surface and slides off easier with less possibility of scratching the piano. Fingerprints wipe off easier and it seems less dust is collected on the piano. I don't know why that is, but I actually stopped covering my piano at night. I found that general care is easier after I waxed it.

I got the idea of waxing because some common piano marketed cleaning products actually have carnauba wax in them. However, I don't care for these all-in-one products. They clean (detergent), polish (abrasive), and protect (wax), all in one. I'd rather have one product for each of those. Polishing really isn't necessary unless you want to get some fine scratches out.

So I've got a cleaner that cleans and a wax that protects. After that, light dusting is all that's necessary.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/19/19 04:54 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850078
05/19/19 04:51 PM
05/19/19 04:51 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Cool!

You might also want to consider this cleaner. It's a water-based, non-abrasive cleaner that will remove surface contaminants and wax. It's good if you decide you want to remove the wax you put on or to clean the surface before applying wax if necessary.

Some people probably don't fuss as much over their pianos, but for me it's part of the enjoyment of owning and playing the instrument. I like sitting down to a nice shiny and clean piano. I like driving a shiny and clean car, shooting a clean gun, etc.

God Bless,
David

Well, I'm not into cleaning so much as dust prevention. I hate seeing a fine layer of dust on anything and it appears to really show up on the shiny black finish of the N1X. That said, I've ordered these two items you recommended too. This initial quantity should last me the life of the N1X. LOL

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2850087
05/19/19 05:13 PM
05/19/19 05:13 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras

Well, I'm not into cleaning so much as dust prevention. I hate seeing a fine layer of dust on anything and it appears to really show up on the shiny black finish of the N1X. That said, I've ordered these two items you recommended too. This initial quantity should last me the life of the N1X. LOL

I agree. The products will last the life of the piano. The N1X really is a low maintenance instrument. It's hard to imagine the need to wax it more than once or twice a year. I'll probably end up doing it just to keep the smell up. grin

Just remember that you'll have to keep wiping the wax off to get a consistent residual layer on the piano because of the non-porous nature of the high polish N1X finish.

1. Apply a thin layer of wax with your microfiber cloth and let it dry for 3-5 minutes.
2. Then wipe it off with another clean microfiber cloth.
3. Go over it again with yet another clean microfiber cloth until the residual layer looks evenly distributed.
4. Let the residual layer dry for a few minutes and then wipe any individual spots where it appears to not be evenly applied.

The extra wiping (#4) isn't necessary with a car because the clear coat/paint on a car is more porous and easier to apply evenly.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/19/19 05:16 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850089
05/19/19 05:19 PM
05/19/19 05:19 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
The best way to keep the piano dust free is to get married.
My wife is a dust maestro. (It drives me nuts ... but the piano is always clean.)

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: MacMacMac] #2850095
05/19/19 05:26 PM
05/19/19 05:26 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
My wife is a dust maestro. (It drives me nuts ... but the piano is always clean.)

LOL smile Amen!

My wife does most (if not all) the cleaning in our house also. Although she does appreciate it when I help her on occasion. However, sometimes I can be a "control freak" and that's how I am when it comes to piano and car detailing.

God bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850098
05/19/19 05:30 PM
05/19/19 05:30 PM

6000 Post Club Member

LOL smile Amen!

My wife does most (if not all) the cleaning in our house also. Although she does appreciate it when I help her on occasion. However, sometimes I can be a "control freak" and that's how I am when it comes to piano and car detailing.

God bless,
David

I'll be lucky if my wife can find the tel# of the housekeeper. LOL

I'm lucky if I can find the tel# of the housekeeper! ROFL

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850099
05/19/19 05:37 PM
05/19/19 05:37 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Just remember that you'll have to keep wiping the wax off to get a consistent residual layer on the piano because of the non-porous nature of the high polish N1X finish.

1. Apply a thin layer of wax with your microfiber cloth and let it dry for 3-5 minutes.
2. Then wipe it off with another clean microfiber cloth.
3. Go over it again with yet another clean microfiber cloth until the residual layer looks evenly distributed.
4. Let the residual layer dry for a few minutes and then wipe any individual spots where it appears to not be evenly applied.

The extra wiping (#4) isn't necessary with a car because the clear coat/paint on a car is more porous and easier to apply evenly.

OMG. Now I know why I almost failed "Industrial Arts" (shop class) back in school. That seems horribly complicated. But you say that it's documented in their video? Ok I'll watch the video before attempting!

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850785
05/21/19 03:19 PM
05/21/19 03:19 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Cool!

God Bless,
David

Well, the wax and keycleaner arrived today. Piano doesn't show up until Friday however.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850817
05/21/19 04:34 PM
05/21/19 04:34 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Don't wax your piano. Please.

The 1950s was the era of the "greasers".
The 1960s was the era of useless furniture polishes, oils, and waxes.
It wasn't needed then, and it's not needed now.

Despite the movie, grease is NOT the word.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2850818
05/21/19 04:36 PM
05/21/19 04:36 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras

Well, the wax and keycleaner arrived today. Piano doesn't show up until Friday however.

Did you get the Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax? If so, how do you like the way it smells?

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2850836
05/21/19 05:19 PM
05/21/19 05:19 PM
O
oneilt130 Online content

oneilt130  Online Content

O

Cool!

God Bless,
David

I fully expect you to use the Miyagi technique when practicing and polishing your N1X. grin

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: oneilt130] #2850850
05/21/19 06:13 PM
05/21/19 06:13 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by oneilt130
I fully expect you to use the Miyagi technique when practicing and polishing your N1X. grin

Wax on! Wax off! grin

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2850875
05/21/19 07:46 PM
05/21/19 07:46 PM
Long Beach, CA
TomLC Online content
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Long Beach, CA
Gee, I'm glad I have a Novus. You don't have to wax it. cool

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
Page 46 of 88 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 87 88

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing by ear
by KuroMisaka. 10/15/19 02:47 PM
Why I’m convinced a good teacher is ESSENTIAL
by WeakLeftHand. 10/15/19 02:40 PM
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
Disappointed with Roland piano
by Mils. 10/15/19 10:10 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,536
Posts2,879,444
Members94,679
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission