Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
52 registered members (Chopin Acolyte, aphexdisklavier, barbaram, AlphaBravoCharlie, ando, ArturC, 12 invisible), 1,106 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What is the price to create a website? #2849897
05/19/19 09:28 AM
05/19/19 09:28 AM
klevern Offline OP
klevern  Offline OP

tell me what the price of a site? I want to create a website for services for piano owners, as well as an electronic library of notes.

(ad 800)
PTG Convention 2019
PTG 2019 Convention Tuscon AZ
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2849900
05/19/19 09:35 AM
05/19/19 09:35 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
That is the very epitome of how long is a piece of string! There are tools out there, Squarespace or blogging platforms like Wordpress, that you could probably use to create something yourself. If you want someone to build one for you then it depends if they can give you something off the shelf and just re-skin it for you or whether you want something more bespoke. For a bespoke site then from experience I’d expect it to start at around £2,000 for something fairly basic.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2849943
05/19/19 11:10 AM
05/19/19 11:10 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by klevern

tell me what the price of a site? I want to create a website for services for piano owners, as well as an electronic library of notes.

It depends on how technical you are. You can get free website builders which can work very well, or pay a little and still get good software. I use Moonfruit and pay £3 a month or thereabouts. Very easy to use and doesn't require much technical knowledge at all. I would never use WordPress!

See my rather neglected astronomy site - http://www.gardenastronomy.moonfruit.com/

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2849971
05/19/19 12:21 PM
05/19/19 12:21 PM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Ongoing annual subscription cost of the domain and the host server. Different prices for the host depending on various factors such as capacity, shared, inbuilt tools or support. Maybe you could start at a couple of 100 dollars, not sure in the US? Add the cost of creating the site unless you do it yourself with one of the many free tools, some already mentioned.

Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2849982
05/19/19 12:37 PM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Offline
Gold Subscriber
D

Scotland
It's easier than it has ever been, to build and maintain your own website. There are many 'frame-based' website building and hosting services now and they are quite easy to use. The attraction of building your own is that you can easily go in and change things or add to it, whereas if you pay someone to develop a site for you, you might not know how to alter it. Regular changes and updates are things that the search engine "bots" look for in order to rank your website higher in the search engine rankings.

Most of the website builders offer a good variety of attractive ready-made templates, and most have the facility to customise extensively. I made my website using website builder Yola. I was inexperienced when I started it, and it is not as attractive as I'd probably make it now, but it was easy to do, and in the years since I started it in 2011, I have regularly added and updated things. I think it's currently around £80 a year for the level that I've got, but you can get cheaper than that.

Last edited by David Boyce; 05/19/19 12:38 PM.
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: Colin Miles] #2849983
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

It depends on how technical you are. You can get free website builders which can work very well, or pay a little and still get good software. I use Moonfruit and pay £3 a month or thereabouts. Very easy to use and doesn't require much technical knowledge at all. I would never use WordPress!

See my rather neglected astronomy site - http://www.gardenastronomy.moonfruit.com/

Wordpress is definitely not the most elegant tool out there, but it works for some people when they have it properly hosted.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850038
05/19/19 03:07 PM
05/19/19 03:07 PM
PA
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
daniokeeper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PA
Before you search for the availability of a domain name, or register one, do a search on domain name theft.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850044
05/19/19 03:20 PM
05/19/19 03:20 PM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Offline
Gold Subscriber
D

Scotland
That's interesting Joe. I had never looked into that.

Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850051
05/19/19 03:43 PM
05/19/19 03:43 PM
PA
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
daniokeeper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PA
I believe it happened to me while searching the availability of different domain names. My available website names were no longer available a short time later. But, they were offered for sale at ridiculously high prices.

But, I'm not mentioning any particular site... I can't afford a lawsuit. But a little searching online will give you a list of culprits to avoid.

Edit:. 2 popular scams....

You're monitored by the service you are using to check if the website name you want to use is available. The clever name gets gobbled up by someone else who offers to sell your idea back to you at an exhorbitant price.

When you go to renew your registration, you're told there's been a problem with your credit card. So, the reregistration failed. But, someone else gobbled up your domain name and will sell it back to you for an exhorbitant price.

Last edited by daniokeeper; 05/19/19 03:52 PM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: David Boyce] #2850139
05/19/19 08:12 PM
05/19/19 08:12 PM
Lincoln, NE
T
That Guy Offline
Silver Subscriber
That Guy  Offline
Silver Subscriber
T

Lincoln, NE
Originally Posted by David Boyce
It's easier than it has ever been, to build and maintain your own website. There are many 'frame-based' website building and hosting services now and they are quite easy to use. The attraction of building your own is that you can easily go in and change things or add to it, whereas if you pay someone to develop a site for you, you might not know how to alter it. Regular changes and updates are things that the search engine "bots" look for in order to rank your website higher in the search engine rankings.

Most of the website builders offer a good variety of attractive ready-made templates, and most have the facility to customise extensively. I made my website using website builder Yola. I was inexperienced when I started it, and it is not as attractive as I'd probably make it now, but it was easy to do, and in the years since I started it in 2011, I have regularly added and updated things. I think it's currently around £80 a year for the level that I've got, but you can get cheaper than that.

This is basically my experience too. My website is through Vistaprint. Being able to edit things yourself is a big plus for me. The good news is, there's lots of choices. The bad news is, there's lots of choices! laugh

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850169
05/19/19 09:51 PM
05/19/19 09:51 PM
PA
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
daniokeeper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PA
I've been having a good experience with InMotion Hosting. They provide BoldGrid, which is built on WordPress.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850307
05/20/19 08:54 AM
05/20/19 08:54 AM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
It depends on how much you want to do/can do yourself.

Even though, having worked in software development for years, I have the technical chops to do a lot myself, I opted for a "Keep it Simple!" choice with a site from wix.com. My previous site was custom built using Wordpress and hosted by GoDaddy.

I went with Wix.com. Prices vary depending on options you choose. I find them reasonable for what I get.

Wix can be your domain registrar, and I can report that I never had any problems looking up nor registering my domain name with them.

Wix can host your site. They support https which is useful should you ever decide to sell things on your site in the future.

Wix has a built it yourself site builder app that is pretty easy to use.

There is also a choice to "Hire a Wix Expert", or consultant (I'm not on the site now so can't remember the exact wording) where you can buy help in addition to the many FAQs and tutorials they have.

Although I don't generate business with my website, it has worked well for me as a "portfolio" website where people go to check me out, usually after learning about me some other way than an internet search.

https://andrewkraus.com

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850475
05/20/19 03:32 PM
05/20/19 03:32 PM
Washington State
A
AWilley Offline
AWilley  Offline
A

Washington State
The cost:

Free if you have the time and the technical aptitude to learn how to put things together, and if you don't care what the URL is. For example: sites.google.com/a/yourdomain.com

$15ish to $150 per year if you have some technical know-how and want a custom URL. For example: yourdomain.com. The $15-ish per year is for the "domain name registration" (meaning you own the URL yourdomain.com) and the rest is for the "hosting" (your webpage content is "hosted" on some company's server somewhere so people can access it 24/7). I use Bluehost. It's fairly standard to get the first year or 3 at a significant markdown and then have the pricing step-up after that.

Much more if you pay an expert to create a custom website for you.

On choosing a URL, if you do the search with a reputable company like https://www.bluehost.com/domains nobody is going to snatch it out from under you.

Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850528
05/20/19 07:41 PM
05/20/19 07:41 PM
Minto, NB Canada
Duaner Offline
Duaner  Offline

Minto, NB Canada
I went with "SquareSpace" and have not been sorry for doing so. It is user friendly with oodles of self-help videos and articles. It's based in USA as most things are so, of course, I have to pay the exchange rate but purchasing it in USA and living there gives you a very good price range for a super site to manipulate and call your own. Best of luck......

Duane Graves
www.pianotuningfredericton.com

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2850654
05/21/19 08:48 AM
05/21/19 08:48 AM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Offline
Gold Subscriber
D

Scotland
As general thoughts on putting a website together:

It's no good having a website, if it doesn't show up in search engines (Google, Bing etc). Google publish basic guidelines on how to optimise your site to get a high ranking.

Google's number one tip is: Have well-written, relevant content. That's where in my opinion it is best if you put the site together yourself; you know exactly what you want to say, and you have all your own information at your fingertips. Have plenty of content, but make sure it is all relevant. Don't "stuff" pages with keywords hoping it will increase your ranking - the "bots" that crawl web pages recognise that trick, and dislike it. It can cause a lower ranking.

Another tip is to keep content fresh, updating often. The "bots" like it when a website gets regular updates - it shows that the site is active and being maintained. A site that is unaltered for a long time will tend to drop in the rankings.

It can be a good idea to purchase more than one domain name, as long as they're not too expensive. You can configure the additional domains to 'point' to your site, and it prevents anyone else using those domains. I have several domains all pointing to my website.

Register your site and business on Google Maps. It can also be helpful to make sure your website is listed in free online local business directories.

Participating in online forums like this one can also help to generate "backlinks" to your website, increasing its online presence.

Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2853362
05/29/19 01:19 AM
05/29/19 01:19 AM
I
Illikira Offline
Illikira  Offline
I

Sites are different on the internal stuffing and complexity of work. After all, most businesses have transferred their business processes to the Internet. For example, there are three main types of platforms:
Business to customer (B2C);
Business to business (B2B);
Customer to customer (C2C or P2P).
Each platform has its advantage https://light-it.net/blog/10-things-to-consider-before-creating-a-peer-to-peer-marketplace/#1
. It depends on the fact that directly for users will carry your site

Last edited by Illikira; 05/29/19 01:20 AM.
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2853416
05/29/19 06:47 AM
05/29/19 06:47 AM
PA
L
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Loren D  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

PA
I like Wordpress, but hosted on their server instead of self-hosted. They handle security, etc.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2853421
05/29/19 07:04 AM
05/29/19 07:04 AM
PA
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
daniokeeper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PA
Whatever you decide to do, remember:
Backup! Backup! Backup!

Backup even if the service you are using claims they do backup for you. Things do go wrong with the best of intentions.

Do a search on the 321 Backup Rule if you are going to have a very complex site with lots of data.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)
Re: What is the price to create a website? [Re: klevern] #2856914
06/09/19 10:36 AM
06/09/19 10:36 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Thank you, Illikira, for pointing out what had been missing for weeks: the notion that the choice of hosting depends on the purpose of the website!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help Me Decide Between CA78 and VPC1
by xhivo. 06/23/19 08:49 PM
Appreciating William Bolcom
by Qwerty53. 06/23/19 06:41 PM
How Many Old White Spinets Can Fit in an Elevator?
by Retsacnal. 06/23/19 06:39 PM
Questions for Kawai/GF-C/I & II users
by Frappete. 06/23/19 02:01 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,677
Posts2,841,398
Members93,693
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission