Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
97 registered members (Bett, Abdol, 36251, anotherscott, AssociateX, amethyst16, 27 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ABRSM-- How long? #2849731
05/18/19 07:16 PM
05/18/19 07:16 PM
C
chongjasmine Offline OP
chongjasmine  Offline OP
C

ABRSM

How long does it take one to move from beginner to grade 8? I mean the practical part of it.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849739
05/18/19 07:33 PM
05/18/19 07:33 PM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
Well I started piano at age 5 and got grade 8 at 14. It’s not a quick process.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: ShyPianist] #2849740
05/18/19 07:38 PM
05/18/19 07:38 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by ShyPianist
Well I started piano at age 5 and got grade 8 at 14. It’s not a quick process.

I read some info either here on PW or over on PianoStreet that suggested that this one grade per year pace is for children, and for adults, often the first grades go faster but the later ones go slower.

EDIT: I've certainly experienced the earlier grades going faster myself. I haven't yet experienced the later grades going slower since I haven't reached those later grades, but I could believe that will happen too.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849754
05/18/19 09:06 PM
05/18/19 09:06 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

EDIT: I've certainly experienced the earlier grades going faster myself. I haven't yet experienced the later grades going slower since I haven't reached those later grades, but I could believe that will happen too.

I have also experienced that the earlier grades go faster, but I was never examined on those. I took eighteen months to get exam ready for grade 5 and I am doing the same sort of time frame for grade 6. At this rate it will take me eleven years to get to grade 8, if I make it. There is no guarantee we can all achieve grade 8 even by working hard. Just recently a few people wrote on ABF that achieving grade 8 was not that difficult and was no measure of success. While I would agree with the latter, the former is easier said than done.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849783
05/19/19 12:43 AM
05/19/19 12:43 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
There was a thread some years ago about someone trying to do it in 1 year...Did we ever hear back?

If actually taking the exams and doing all the extra stuff in addition to only playing pieces it will take much longer than just learning a few pieces from each grade. The latter could probably be done in less that 5 years, if one happens to be a fast learner. Passing the actual exam could also prove impossible if one has a lot of challenges affecting piano learning. I doubt I ever could, even if I have played grade 8 pieces. I have now studied for about 8 years.
So of course there is no reasonable answer besides "it depends" and one should have other goals as well while working on that target to keep the motivation up.

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849794
05/19/19 02:25 AM
05/19/19 02:25 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by chongjasmine
ABRSM

How long does it take one to move from beginner to grade 8? I mean the practical part of it.

Isn't that like asking "How long is a piece of string?" How long it takes really depends on many factors
- your innate musical ability
- your dedication and determination
- how much and how efficiently you practice
- how quickly your advancing technical skills develop
- the quality of the teaching instruction you receive

The rather flippant but somewhat reasonable answer is that it takes as long as it takes. How long one person may take will have little to no bearing on how long anyone else will take to achieve the same goal.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: outo] #2849808
05/19/19 04:27 AM
05/19/19 04:27 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by outo
There was a thread some years ago about someone trying to do it in 1 year...Did we ever hear back?

There was quite an interesting thread in the ABRSM Piano Forum about a boy in his 20s who had made a bet with his roommate about achieving something like that. He managed to make some progress, but then got one of the female members of the forum (who might have been a teacher - I can't quite remember) to help him. At one point in the story they actually met. The end of the story appeared to be an absolute fail at the exam and him being engaged to the teacher.

I did search for any further info on the forum, and the teacher appeared back a couple of years later, single, and no sign of the male ever again.

It was a fascinating read and quite hilarious which kept me engrossed for quite a while. The boy was super confident at the beginning, but slowly realisation dawned

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849813
05/19/19 04:40 AM
05/19/19 04:40 AM
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Chris Offline
Cheshire Chris  Offline

Cheshire, UK
From being an absolute beginner, I'd reckon 8-10 years is probably average but, as has been said, we're all different, and it's dependent upon both your own innate ability and the amount of time you're prepared to devote to the task.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: outo] #2849820
05/19/19 05:10 AM
05/19/19 05:10 AM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia

Here is the thread to which you refer.

Did we ever hear back? .........Yes, those that were keeping an eye on the OP's blog announced that the project had been abandoned due to injury.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: earlofmar] #2849869
05/19/19 08:16 AM
05/19/19 08:16 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Here is the thread to which you refer.

Did we ever hear back? .........Yes, those that were keeping an eye on the OP's blog announced that the project had been abandoned due to injury.

Thanks! I bet he had been warned...

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: earlofmar] #2849886
05/19/19 09:08 AM
05/19/19 09:08 AM

Yes, those that were keeping an eye on the OP's blog announced that the project had been abandoned due to injury.

Well, now that is a surprise! Who would have predicted that? wink

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2849894
05/19/19 09:23 AM
05/19/19 09:23 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Yes, those that were keeping an eye on the OP's blog announced that the project had been abandoned due to injury.

Still, it's too bad that he was injured. I was hoping that he was just too busy practicing to goof off around here.

Learner
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: malkin] #2849909
05/19/19 09:56 AM
05/19/19 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by malkin

Still, it's too bad that he was injured. I was hoping that he was just too busy practicing to goof off around here.

Now I feel a twinge of shame - I was too flippant. I'm just a strong conceptual believer in moderation (although I admit I struggle with this myself, mightily!) and trying to go from ABRSM 0 to 8 in a year is the antithesis of moderation. That fellow was from before my time with piano and on this forum, but if I had seen his post I might have warned that attempting this might lead to the sort of injuries that might have derailed his attempt.

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849916
05/19/19 10:13 AM
05/19/19 10:13 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

I think its quite common to go into piano playing to show off. Its popular on TV to play piano only if it is a gimic. If the person is very young and then they have to play very quickly or blindfolded to gain the interest of the Justin Bieber crowd. Most of reddit play Fantasie impromptu, Rach prelude in c sharp minor / g minor and La Campanella (these are all fast virtuoso show off pieces and rarely played well on reddit). I've heard them so much I have developed a hatred of all the pieces and the people that play them. Fur Elise Syndrome.

I think to play piano you should not worry too much about progressing. As it said a normal time would be one a year. In the higher grades maybe one every couple of years. You normally have breaks between each grade where you explore other music. I think this is the norm. That is if you want to do grades at all. ARBSM is particularly annoying with the scale requirements (Grade 6 all the scales?!), sillies in aural test (e.g. signing requirements - I still remember my teenage thinking why do I need to sing the base, waste of time, and I think this more strongly now) and mandatory requirement to learn theory (and pay for more ARBSM exams!).

Hope I didnt put you off. Much better just to play piano and not do grades and enjoy it x.

Last edited by Moo :); 05/19/19 10:17 AM.
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849925
05/19/19 10:38 AM
05/19/19 10:38 AM
M
Michael P Walsh Offline
Michael P Walsh  Offline
M

ABRSM grade 5. All keys (major and minor) 3 octave scales is a requirement.
Quickest I've heard of anyone going form 0 to grade 8 is 18 months. That is incredibly fast and must be extremely rare.

Last edited by Michael P Walsh; 05/19/19 10:39 AM.
Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849927
05/19/19 10:49 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

I’m very glad they have introduced torture into Grade 5. Remembering all the fingering and notes for all major and minor was painful torture. No wonder so many people give up piano.

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849928
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

I had a student who went from beginner to grade 8 in two years. He wasn't my student by the time he did Grade 8, but I got him to Grade 5. Well. He got himself to Grade 5. I didn't want to do it that way but he pushed himself and pushed himself. I wanted him to have a proper technique set up before touching Grade 5, but his parents pushed and pushed. It was really taken out of my hands when the school I taught at put him in for Grade 5. As soon as he got his Grade 5 his parents took him off me and sent him to the conservatoire, and to be honest it did him the world of good because it firstly showed him that there was a standard, and secondly the teacher at the conservatoire wouldn't even acknowledge his parents unless they addressed her as "Professor"......

He ended up playing incredibly well, but I have no idea what he's doing now. That was years ago, about ten or twelve years ago.

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: Moo :)] #2849931
05/19/19 10:56 AM
05/19/19 10:56 AM
M
Michael P Walsh Offline
Michael P Walsh  Offline
M

Originally Posted by Moo :)
I’m very glad they have introduced torture into Grade 5. Remembering all the fingering and notes for all major and minor was painful torture. No wonder so many people give up piano.

Lol and boy do I struggle with that technical stuff. I think it's a far far harder requirement than learning the 3 pieces.

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: Moo :)] #2849937
05/19/19 11:04 AM
05/19/19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Moo :)

Call me weird, but I love playing scales. So peaceful and restful. Quite entertaining really. Reminds me a bit of some computer games.

(Now playing scales without curling my pinkies into tight balls and without collapsing fingers - well, that's another thing altogether! shocked )

Re: ABRSM-- How long? [Re: chongjasmine] #2849962
05/19/19 12:04 PM
05/19/19 12:04 PM
Toronto, Canada
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

Toronto, Canada
For those who know of people who did it in 18 months or 2 years, or other ridiculously short amount of time, what are their stories? Child prodigy? Did they have to go to school? Homeschooled? Where did they get all the time to practice? I’m guessing these weren’t adult beginners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to find a good teacer?
by Wehhua. 06/19/19 11:21 PM
Name of fingering technique
by spartan928. 06/19/19 10:23 PM
any digital pianos with real piano mechanism
by Mike Mey. 06/19/19 06:32 PM
Edition for Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by Liszt
by Candywoman. 06/19/19 03:50 PM
Layering sampled and modeled piano sounds
by Robhatherton. 06/19/19 12:54 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,609
Posts2,839,863
Members93,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission