2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
We didn't tend to use the French doors before getting the piano as the organ partially obstructed them, and whilst we can still get to them with the new piano in its position we have no real need to as we can enter the garden from another room.

I took the precaution of fitting exterior solar excluding film to the outside of the windows. It cuts out light and heat by supposedly about 80% though due to the eye's sensitivity to low light it seems only as dark as a cloudy day from inside. But it does stop the sun's heat dead in its tracks whereas otherwise it would hit the end of the piano.

Kind comments about the organ - two years in the making for me but apart from the pedals, bench, pistons and pipes (from redundant organs) and Fatar keyboards everything else was bought off the shelf from timber shops and electronics stores and put together in my garden shed. I wouldn't contemplate building my own piano though!

J
J
I think the piano should be right at the opposite end near the opening to the other room . There is an open archway and acoustically it would be miles better .The sound will always be heard in the other room when you play anyway . There is a great article about making a Piano Room sound Grand on Piano Buyer . Written by Lewis Lipnick it will show where you ought to place the piano . Acoustics follows scientific laws that need to be considered for best results .
As the sound will travel between rooms the warm air will do likewise . You could just take the radiator away and rely on the heating in the other room .But radiators should be placed near windows and not on internal walls . It saves time for plumbers that way though . Don`t be afraid of plumbing . I`ve just fitted 24 radiators for our next house . With my own hands .
The room shape is too narrow for a grand piano stuck down one end like that . When you redecorate there is an insulating wallpaper that reduces the need for hot radiators . It`s about 1/8th inch thick made of tough fibres . I think it has positive acoustic properties too . That`s just my personal opinion though .
I mentioned the "Solid Laminate" to my wife and she laughed .

D
D
go for option 5

J
J
I had an impression the opening to the other room created an L shaped room . . My mistake . So the two rooms combination is a very long straight room . The acoustic article seemed to recomend a position one third or one fifth along from one end .and not directly aiming at the opposite wall surface. Some kind of angle to sound best . But certainly this does not include being smack up against the window at one end . One good tip was that the lowest note has a wavelength of about 40 feet. He says the piano would normally benefit from the door being left open .
Thankfully after reading about all these pianos in windows I have persuaded my wife to have our upright moved across the room to a perfect spot with no direct sunlight.
Being in a creative mood I imagined the way harpsichords used to have decorative country scenes on the inside of the lids . Moving to the outer piano surface a combination of canvas with pictorial decorations ready for embroidery with an inner layer of quilty padded reflective foil and the part contacting the piano a soft material to prevent friction .Tailor made bespoke piano covers for hot window positions . There must be a market for such a creation . Lace edges for the ladies .

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You can check the date in the upper right of each post.

Learner
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Lace edges are not just for the ladies. l am about as utilitarian and austere in my tastes as you can imagine. l had a plain black cover made for the piano in the music room. I was happy with it but the curatrix was not. She prevailed on me to get some white lace added. lt has made all the difference in the world.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Dang, that is a piano. Very very nice!

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
J
OP Offline
J
OP here again. I think we resolved the positioning when the piano arrived nearly a year ago. Window film cuts out nearly all heat (and around 80% of the light - but even that lets in a fair amount and just makes the French window corner of the room appear a bit overcast in daylight). Temperature in winter at the bottom end of the strings is around 0.5 degree C cooler than the keyboard end and tuning has held pretty well.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission