2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2849105 05/17/19 05:15 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Dear all
I began leaning the piano only a year or so ago. I live in a flat with very thin walls so an acoustic piano is out of the question and in fairness I only ever play with headphones on in order to get neighbor friendly volume to practice dynamics. I have an ES110 which I do like but which feels like a toy compared to the piano I receive lessons on. From online reading I see that the MP11SE is most piano like of all the digital keyboards. Is it a ridiculous idea to just replace what I have with essentially a pro keyboard? Would I be better waiting another year or so for a MP12 by which time I'd probably appreciate more of the features? The cost of the instrument isn't really an issue.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello trevnopiano, welcome to the forum.

I'm a strong believer in the notion of "buying the best that you can afford". If you're fortunate enough to be in a position whereby the cost of an instrument is not a major factor, my recommendation would be to purchase the MP11SE, or another similarly-specced DP. Regardless of your level, if you enjoy playing and believe your practise would be enhanced by a higher quality instrument, go for it!

I am obviously a little biased toward the MP11SE, however you may also wish to consider other options. It's important to play-test as many instruments as possible before making your decision.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

ps. Yamaha binaural sampling crew in 3...2...1...

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I'm a strong believer in the notion of "buying the best that you can afford". If you fortunate enough to be in a position ...

+1

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by trevnopiano
Dear all
I began leaning the piano only a year or so ago. I live in a flat with very thin walls so an acoustic piano is out of the question and in fairness I only ever play with headphones on in order to get neighbor friendly volume to practice dynamics. I have an ES110 which I do like but which feels like a toy compared to the piano I receive lessons on. From online reading I see that the MP11SE is most piano like of all the digital keyboards. Is it a ridiculous idea to just replace what I have with essentially a pro keyboard? Would I be better waiting another year or so for a MP12 by which time I'd probably appreciate more of the features? The cost of the instrument isn't really an issue.

Thanks

Hi Trevnopiano,

You might expect Kawai James to advocate buying the most expensive piano being a Kawai rep; however, I would put it another way: you want to get the best action for your budget! This normally applies to when you first buy, with the exception of complete beginners...Why? Well, complete beginners might not last it out. Not much point in spending several 1000's of dollars if the user might give up in 6 months. Why buy the best action? Well, mainly because it's more enjoyable to play on a great action.

If you are sure you are going to take this up for the long-term, then yes, you might want a better action than that on the ES110.

With this in mind, the way to go is to set a budget: one in which you absolutely can't go beyond.
Then consider what's out there upto and including that max amount: both used and new models.

My test list for you would include the following:

Kawai MP11
Kawai VPC1
Kawai ES8
Roland RD2000
Roland FP90
Yamaha P515

Out of those, the RD2000 and the MP11 are my favourites---both have really good actions.
If you prefer a heavier action, the Yamaha P515 gives you that.

Kind regards,,

Doug.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Online reading is misleading. Confusing, distracting, deceiving, contradictory.
Instead, just try the MP11 for yourself and decide.
From online reading I see that the MP11SE is most piano like of all the digital keyboards.

If you've been at it for a year and still feel commitment then it makes perfect sense to get a better piano.
Is it a ridiculous idea to just replace what I have with essentially a pro keyboard?

But there's no need to wait for an MP12 ... or for any other new model.
Would I be better waiting another year or so for a MP12 by which time I'd probably appreciate more of the features?
Very little changes from one piano to its successor. Very little.

And don't be side-tracked by features. The only "features" that matter are touch and sound.

Dear all

Thanks

I'm in the same position, I started learning a couple of months ago and had an MP6 which I purchased back in 2012, but a lot has changed, DP's have improved a lot, and I heard such great things about the MP11SE and decided to buy it. It's so awesome, so delicious to play and a huge upgrade, well worth it!

H
H
Some might disagree, but in my mind better action creates better results. "I can't play La Campanella blindfolded whilst giving a speech on renewable energy, there's no point upgrading my P125" is an argument I do not agree with.

Sure, you can give Listsa and Lang Lang one of those piano toys with each key making an animal noise and they'll find a way to make the mooos and the meooows sound heavenly. I am not nor I want to become either of them. What I found, though, is that if I play the same thing on a PX160, on an FP90 and on an NV10 (and of course on an acoustic), the result is different. Significantly. I'm not talking about audio quality, but rather expressiveness, nuances, details. Are the better actions and engines covering for my average technique, as it's easier to express myself on those than on a PX160? heck yes, and I'm cool with it.

But equally, I can train my technique using an instrument that allows for a wider array of opportunities from the very start, as opposed to a less complete one. You can say it's cheating: if you become a monster on a PX160, imagine on a Steinway D! All good, but I'd rather start maybe not from a D, but on something that doesn't feel miles away from it and gives me the opportunity to absorb the right movements and subtleties since the very beginning. Maybe I have this viewpoint because my teenage studies were on an acoustic and I'm not a native DP guy.

Morale of the story: I'm totally on the "best you can afford" bandwagon.

P.s. Thanks James for making me lol with your binaural brigade thing laugh

Last edited by Hecarim; 05/17/19 07:07 AM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Sure, you can give Listsa and Lang Lang one of those piano toys with each key making an animal noise and they'll find a way to make the mooos and the meooows sound heavenly.

There's a massive difference between making a piece somehow work on a terrible instrument and actually practising on one day in day out. You can 100% guarantee that Lisitsa and Lang Lang would not be where they are today if that's all they had to work with! That's what annoys me so much about those examples that get trotted out time after time when discussing the merits of different instruments. Learn to play La Campanella, by hook or by crook, on a dodgy upright and if you had to play it on a concert grand you'd be stuffed!

Last edited by ShyPianist; 05/17/19 07:14 AM.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks folks. Its also my birthday next week so this does look like a pretty good way to celebrate another lap round the sun.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Out of those, the RD2000 and the MP11 are my favourites---both have really good actions.

I totally agree with Doug M., this couple is the best what you can buy now. Try them both. I would say RD2000 is probably more beginner-friendly, it has lighter action that is absolutely joy to play, both classical music and jazz/pop/rock. MP11's action is significantly heavier, it is a kind of keyboard for professional classical training IMO.

P
P
Happy Birthday Trevnopiano , I have both the RD 2000 and the MP11 , get the Kawai MP11 SE ,it is a lot more piano like than the Roland , the RD 2000 is a keyboard that can do about any thing you want it t to but for a great piano experience the MP11 SE will give you that .

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Why all discussion is just around slabs? Especially, that OP wrote that the cost of the instrument isn't really an issue. I would not recommend a slab for a flat. Had a bad experience with it.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
... I only ever play with headphones ...

If this is true, the MP11SE is absolutely perfect for you.

You get a professional touch and sound now and you can add external speakers if the need arises.

The only issue that I think needs to be mentioned is weight.

The MP11SE is a bit on the heavy side (75lbs) so you will not want to be moving it around a lot.

It certainly can be moved but it takes a bit of effort.

Otherwise I highly recommend it for you.

It is the finest digital piano I have ever owned.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
. . .
And don't be side-tracked by features. The only "features" that matter are touch and sound.

+1.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShyPianist

There's a massive difference between making a piece somehow work on a terrible instrument and actually practising on one day in day out. You can 100% guarantee that Lisitsa and Lang Lang would not be where they are today if that's all they had to work with! That's what annoys me so much about those examples that get trotted out time after time when discussing the merits of different instruments. Learn to play La Campanella, by hook or by crook, on a dodgy upright and if you had to play it on a concert grand you'd be stuffed!

Aaahhh! The heavenly sound of truth.... 3hearts

Exactly. Craftsmen might be able to work wonders with crappy tools. But that doesn't mean that they prefer crappy tools.

H
H
Sure, you can give Listsa and Lang Lang one of those piano toys with each key making an animal noise and they'll find a way to make the mooos and the meooows sound heavenly.

Amen.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z

Although I suspect not many people have a concert standard grand in their personal possession. Many piano teachers around my area, for example, including myself, actually, only have an upright. Not exactly a "dodgy" one, but you get my point. The pianos my teachers owned when I was young were uprights or one teacher that had a very dodgy grand. The uprights were better. Yet these teachers were accomplished pianists. You're talking Lang Lang standard. Ok, that's different. But one would assume Lang Lang has a piano by Kawai or Yamaha or something that he is sponsored by. I remember my violin teacher when I was young had a violin that was worth about £30,000 and the bow was worth £5000. This guy had nothing in his fridge.

The main difference in pianos I find is between uprights and grands. Different mechanism. Stands to reason. All the other differences are quirks, assuming they're not actually broken.

And yes, if you can afford an MP then go for it, the adage of buying the best you can afford is certainly wise when applying to musical instruments. Not least for longevity.

O
O
+1 to Zaphod.

I know professional pianists who played on cheap casio slabs for their whole childhood. Practice and diligence and talent are much more important for attaining skill than the equipment used.

That said, better actions and better sound engines can increase the musical enjoyment and what you are able to extract from the instrument musically. I've spent way too much money om pianos myself for that reason.

Last edited by oivavoi; 05/18/19 06:33 AM.

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
I
I
The Kawai MP11SE was my second digital piano/keyboard. I first bought a Casio Privia PX560. I wasn't thrilled with the action, especially when playing deep into the keys. It was noticeable harder to press the keys closer to the "fall board." I sold it after a few months and bought the MP11SE. It was the best $2800 I ever spent. The action feels and plays like The Yamaha C5 that I have in my possession (I don't own it.) Also, the triple pedal unit (which is optical) is without peer in the digital piano market. I never breaks and it never needs to be calibrated.... unlike pedals that rely upon electromechanical pots.

As to the samples, they are perfectly fine but I rarely use them even when practicing. I have at least a dozen VST piano libraries KeyScape, Ivory II, Addictive Keys, Garritan Abbey Road CFX (which is awful), Ravenscroft 275, True Keys, etc... My go-to is Pianoteq Pro 6.7.1. So, all that matters to me is the action. I'll supply the sounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission