Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Boboulus, aphexdisklavier, Calavera, camperbc, CyberGene, Animisha, Ankee, CianistAndPomposer, Abdol, 14 invisible), 818 guests, and 494 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 419 of 428 1 2 417 418 419 420 421 427 428
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2849094 05/17/19 02:24 AM
Tech-key Offline
Done with The Stranger. I liked this one, but found the repeats a bit annoying. I felt it sounds good with pedal, so spent a couple extra days to add that. It was worth it. My husband now says it's the best one from this book.

Started working on Go Down, Moses and Scarborough Fair. I’m thinking of concentrating more on Alfred’s, till I at least reach the review section. I’m getting a bit tired of this book, tbh, and want to finish this asap now grin

Think Twice, Play Once
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2849300 05/17/19 01:24 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
I liked The Stranger also - that cracks me up you feel the repeats are annoying smile Hey, I think Alfred's is trying to teach us PATIENCE also! I am in the Review section but only 1 song at a time while I have 3 outside songs going....so I'll be here awhile which is OK with me.

Are you planning to do Book 2?

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2849436 05/17/19 10:20 PM
Tech-key Offline
Yes, I’m planning to do Book 2. Perhaps not very meticulously, but yeah, more or less. Would be completely lost without a method book! I like to know exactly what I’ll be learning in the short term. Doesn’t matter much, if I particularly like a song or not. I’ve realised that I like all the sounds that I make on the piano. I only cringe when I listen to my recordings eek grin

How about you? Does your teacher plan to work with the second book? I'm not sure, if mine does. Haven't asked him yet.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2849440 05/17/19 10:32 PM
GidgetKeys Offline
I need some motivation. I should be working on the review section of book 1, and I do want to continue to book 2. I guess I just need to make up my mind to get back at it.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2 🎹
Piano Marvel 4C

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2849448 05/17/19 11:29 PM
Tech-key Offline
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
I need some motivation. I should be working on the review section of book 1, and I do want to continue to book 2. I guess I just need to make up my mind to get back at it.

GidgetKeys, maybe you can start with book 2 without thinking about the review section. Starting a new book may bring the motivation back. I'm actually thinking of doing this to get some motivation, hence the suggestion. The first couple pieces in book 2 look simpler to me than the review section of book 1. And if we feel like, we can always work on the review section later, along with book 2.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Tech-key] #2849594 05/18/19 10:49 AM
P
Progman Offline
P
Originally Posted by Tech-key

How about you? Does your teacher plan to work with the second book? I'm not sure, if mine does. Haven't asked him yet.

I talked to my teacher and she recommended book 2, and after that there are different paths depending on what I want to be.

I expect we all have peaks and valleys on motivation level. I have just come out of a low motivation time - I think it was because I ventured most of my effort away from the method book, and the outside songs are much harder so it's a trade-off between short term satisfaction (method book) and long term satisfaction (outside songs). I will say that my Teacher invited me to her Spring Recital she has every year for her students (watching, not playing for me!), and it was very inspiring - so that helps the motivation.

Progman
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2850926 05/21/19 11:13 PM
owenj Offline
I'm back, yet again! Sorry for those also in the Faber Graduates thread as some of this will be a cross-post.
I played reluctantly as a child, never making it past elementary level. Got back into music in my late 20s with the violin taking lessons with a teacher. I tried for about four months to play both violin and piano in 2017, but violin was my primary instrument and piano practice suffered. I also had a negative experience with a piano teacher (our styles didn't mesh well) and dropped the piano completely in winter 2017. I've decided to take a break from violin lessons and go back to the piano, which really is my first love despite the childhood reluctance to play. I'm going self-taught for now, though I'll probably look at teachers again one day.

I'm supplementing the Alfred Adult AIO with the Faber Adult PA AIO book, and am enjoying using Playground Sessions.

Since I started from the very beginning of the rookie tour with Playground Sessions, and it's covering a lot of material I already know, I'm skimming a bit through the Alfred book to get back to where I was before I stopped. I was at Little Brown Jug, but am thinking I'll rein it back to the chord intros once the pieces get a little more interesting.

~Jaime
Roland HP603

Currently Working In: Alfred's Adult AIO- Level One, Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO- Book One, and Playground Sessions: Rookie Tour
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2851233 05/22/19 04:58 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
Welcome back owenj - persistence is a key skill to being successful - glad to see you have that! Good Luck!

Progman
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2851949 05/24/19 10:17 PM
D
Domestic Engineer Offline
D
Well, I finished Book 1 in March, although of course I’m still reviewing many of the songs occasionally. The only piece I cared to learn from the performance pieces in the back was Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I’m trying to memorize Amazing Grace. I’m about 90% there. I’ve memorized The Entertainer too. I was reading something about the importance of memorization in all areas of learning. I guess I should give my more recent updates in the book two thread, maybe. So book 1 took about 6 months in total.

On the discussion a while ago about Blow the Man Down - for me it was the syncopation! I think that was the first song with that rhythm used significantly.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2851974 05/25/19 02:35 AM
Tech-key Offline
Congratulations on completing book 1, Domestic Engineer! smile Looking forward to your updates on book 2 thumb

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2852181 05/25/19 04:20 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
Congratulations Domestic Engineer!

Progman
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2856514 06/07/19 07:21 PM
BatyaGeee Offline
Brand new to Alfred's over here.

I've gotten all the way to Aura Lee over the past two days. The biggest challenge so far is pressing equally as hard on all the keys. The fourth and fifth fingers sound a little sad sometimes. Also, I'm having trouble not turning my left hand into a claw.

Currently trying to control my 4th fingers.

Alfred's AAIO Level 1
Mikrokosmos Volume 1
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2856522 06/07/19 08:29 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
Welcome! Good luck - are you doing by yourself or with teacher? There are videos of each piece on youtube so you can hear what it is supposed to sound like. If you are judging if you completed a piece acceptably, you should record it and listen to it (while not playing it) to determine if you have it right. Turns out, you can't really tell while you're playing and listening at the same time (if you are a beginner). Just passing along lessons learned by others, including me (but for sure my teacher tells me if I got it or not). Lot's of good info on this site.

Progman
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2857463 06/11/19 09:07 AM
BatyaGeee Offline
I've been plugging away and made it all the way to the melodic intervals. (Tisket, A Tasket, dudes!) It's a little trippy when you tell your brain to move your fourth finger and it moves some other finger instead.

I'm not sure this is normal: the side of my thumbs where I strike to keys is sore. Am I hitting way too hard, or is this the piano player version of DOMS?

@Progman: My son is taking music lessons already and I really can't afford for us both to at the moment. Maybe in the new school year? I definitely want a teacher and plan to have one eventually.

Currently trying to control my 4th fingers.

Alfred's AAIO Level 1
Mikrokosmos Volume 1
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2857495 06/11/19 10:23 AM
Tech-key Offline
Originally Posted by BatyaGeee
I’m not sure this is normal: the side of my thumbs where I strike to keys is sore. Am I hitting way too hard, or is this the piano player version of DOMS?

If it hurts, you should not continue the same way. I had done that, and it only got worse. Time to change something. smile Perhaps try watching a few videos from the playlist of Faber Adult Piano Adventures. I’m linking that below. They focus on some technique basics. The pieces are different, but the concepts are pretty much the same. Hope this helps. Good luck thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrS7vTZFBs&list=PLROQq1cZUMn_XJFiAh1KHMTpwTc1jX_Qz&index=2

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BatyaGeee] #2857514 06/11/19 11:30 AM
P
Progman Offline
P
Originally Posted by BatyaGeee

@Progman: My son is taking music lessons already and I really can't afford for us both to at the moment. Maybe in the new school year? I definitely want a teacher and plan to have one eventually.

There are several on this forum that started as self learners and later got a teacher. The common point I have read from them is this approach slowed down their progress because when they first learned they either had a technique error to correct later or some other problem that did not get addressed until a teacher pointed it out and they spent time to fix this.

It sounds to me from your writing that you are proud of how much material you are covering in a short period of time. This is not a race. Learning piano is VERY difficult and takes a lot of time. I would urge you to record each piece (use the memo recorder on your phone), then listen to it while not playing, and see if it sounds like the youtube version. Good Luck - I am still learning to have patience!

Progman
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2857865 06/12/19 03:14 PM
GidgetKeys Offline
I just had my first lesson with an instructor. I think it went okay. I have worked through most of the book over the last year and a half to 2 years. It's quite different playing on an acoustic piano. He pulled 3 pieces from the first 100 pages or so for me to work on. It's mostly the expressionism and dynamics that I have to work on. I'm hoping to really up my game with these lessons. Looking forward to showing good improvement by next week.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2 🎹
Piano Marvel 4C

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2857974 06/12/19 11:50 PM
Tech-key Offline
That’s great news GidgetKeys! 😊

As for my update, I finished Raisins and Almonds. Working on He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands. They have bunched all these keys together in this one, and it’s tripping me out.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2857978 06/13/19 12:05 AM
D
Domestic Engineer Offline
D
I started lessons a few months ago as I was finishing up book 1 and I don’t think it put me at any disadvantage to wait. The only thing I was doing wrong per se was my overlapping pedal technique, but it only took a couple weeks of practice for the correct way to be second nature. The teacher is trying to help me move from playing all the right notes to playing them with more expression and musicality, but I’m afraid the artistic side comes much less naturally to me than the more objective, mechanical side!

Batya, do you feel like it’s your muscles, joints or skin hurting? I think the skin on the side of my thumb would hurt a little after longer practices at first, and I’m guessing that skin is a little thicker than it used to be now. I’ve generally taken my fingers or wrists getting sore or stiff as a sign it’s time to stop for the day, since it only happens if I play longer than usual, and over time I’ve been able to play longer comfortably. And I’ve only been working at it for 9 months!

My ring finger on my left hand is my weakest finger. I never noticed it until I started playing scales and those notes are just a little quieter than the more peppy fingers.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2857983 06/13/19 12:31 AM
Tech-key Offline
Originally Posted by Domestic Engineer
The teacher is trying to help me move from playing all the right notes to playing them with more expression and musicality, but I’m afraid the artistic side comes much less naturally to me than the more objective, mechanical side!

It’s the same with me. And if there is anything distracting me, my playing gets even more mechanical. Most times, I can get the notes and rhythm right by concentrating. It sounds kinda robotic though. I’m fine with this, but thankfully my teacher is not. For the last couple months, he is constantly insisting on musicality and such things. Without him guiding me in this, I’d be totally lost, as I barely have a musical bone in my body.

Think Twice, Play Once
Page 419 of 428 1 2 417 418 419 420 421 427 428

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garittan CFX questions
by idfpiano - 12/10/19 01:11 AM
Bass Bridge Replacement- Can't find supplier for wood
by Rick_Parks - 12/09/19 09:22 PM
Steinway grands and Yamaha uprights
by WeakLeftHand - 12/09/19 03:32 PM
Garritan CFX dropouts when used as VST
by stamkorg - 12/09/19 12:57 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,587
Posts2,900,205
Members95,196
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission