Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
89 registered members (AnnInMiami, 36251, accordeur, baudelairepianist, Amy C, Benjamin1, Anjru, Beakybird, 21 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tips for dampers having damping issues? #2848983
05/16/19 07:44 PM
05/16/19 07:44 PM
PA
J
jsilva Online content OP
jsilva  Online Content OP
J

PA
I’ve read several resources in an attempt to find a remedy for dampers which aren’t damping properly. For the piano in question, my guess is that it’s ‘age’ related. It’s the bass strings not damping well enough—which also causes some ringing in the higher notes.

Does anyone has any special tips for improving the damping of older felt without replacing them?

Last edited by jsilva; 05/16/19 07:45 PM.
(ad 800)
PTG Convention 2019
PTG 2019 Convention Tuscon AZ
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: jsilva] #2849000
05/16/19 08:14 PM
05/16/19 08:14 PM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Online content
2000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
One band-aid you can apply is VS-Profelt to the felts (keep them off the strings till dry...24 hrs). That will soften them up a little (maybe alot) and be a start in the process. Then examine each one individually and make sure they are contacting front and back simultaneously (by adjusting the bend in the wire at the head), as well as both strings (in the case of bichords) by tilting the damper head, or by "leveling" strings (or both).

WARNING WARNING...DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

If you do not actually know what you're doing with dampers you can very quickly make a huge mess. Old dampers like to remain ad they are. They have taken a compression set (imprint) against the strings. Changing their positions is dicey. They don't like it and can easily rebel.

Take it from someone who has tried. Your best bet would be the VS-PROFELT treatment. Soak the felt but not enough to affect the glue and make them fall off. WARNING WARNING!

Otherwise have fun. Eventually replace them.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: jsilva] #2849027
05/16/19 10:00 PM
05/16/19 10:00 PM
Maine, USA
R
Rick_Parks Online content
Rick_Parks  Online Content
R

Maine, USA
Originally Posted by jsilva
I’ve read several resources in an attempt to find a remedy for dampers which aren’t damping properly. For the piano in question, my guess is that it’s ‘age’ related. It’s the bass strings not damping well enough—which also causes some ringing in the higher notes.

Actually, you are probably hearing the higher partial sounding in the bass string with the damper issue-- the damper is acting like a termination point while not killing the tone (ie. shortening the vibration length of the string and thus causing the higher partial to sound--- sounds like a high note, but touch the bass string and it goes away)...

Does anyone has any special tips for improving the damping of older felt without replacing them?

The best solution is to replace. Damper felts are not that expensive. But, you can try to use an emery board (or file) on the felts to soften them up a little.
Also- if this is a vertical (don't know what the piano is you are working on) and it is a bichord damper (i.o.w- a wedge damper), you might try moving the two strings closer together at the v-bar/pressure bar- sometimes on old junk you can get by with this to help kill bleeds. Also, attempt to cause the damper to seat bottom first (meaning a slight angle upward as it returns into place), sometimes this can make a difference as well on older dampers.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: jsilva] #2849029
05/16/19 10:04 PM
05/16/19 10:04 PM
PA
J
jsilva Online content OP
J

PA
Thanks! I had placed an order from Pianoteksupply just a few hours ago so I just placed another order for the vs-profelt. Hopefully they’ll see it and not charge me twice for shipping.

I admit dampers are my weakest area, but I can certainly make the typical adjustments without problems. I struggle when I come across older dampers though—I don’t want to do anything lest I make it worse and then it takes a lot of effort to get it back to mediocrity smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: Rick_Parks] #2849033
05/16/19 10:12 PM
05/16/19 10:12 PM
PA
J
jsilva Online content OP
J

PA
Originally Posted by Rick_Parks
Actually, you are probably hearing the higher partial sounding in the bass string with the damper issue--

Yes, sorry, that’s what I was meaning to say.

The best solution is to replace. Damper felts are not that expensive. But, you can try to use an emery board (or file) on the felts to soften them up a little.
Also- if this is a vertical (don't know what the piano is you are working on)...

I’d like to replace but under the circumstances it has to wait, so I’m just trying to find the best solution for right now. This is for a grand and I actually have another older grand which would benefit from better damping, so I’m anxious to try out some other techniques.

Thanks for the tip of the emery board! That’s easy enough and I have them around already. If that doesn’t work well enough I can use the vs-profelt.

Last edited by jsilva; 05/16/19 10:12 PM.
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: jsilva] #2849071
05/17/19 12:42 AM
05/17/19 12:42 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
I prefer to needle felts that have hardened. But there are other issues that you need to check, such as worn damper guides, weak or broken springs, things like that.

Semipro Tech
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: jsilva] #2849158
05/17/19 08:59 AM
05/17/19 08:59 AM
Washington State
A
AWilley Offline
AWilley  Offline
A

Washington State
Just one bit of advice: diagnose the problem before you fix it.

If the problem is regulation (like spoons or damper tray holding the dampers barely on the string) then voicing probably won't help.
If the problem is dampers being on a node, voicing or replacing the felt with another of the same size probably won't fix it. (Bass dampers on old uprights are notoriously underbuilt BTW)

Find the worst damper and try your fix on that before you do the whole set. Good luck :-)

Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: jsilva] #2849443
05/17/19 11:43 PM
05/17/19 11:43 PM
Murphys, Ca
K
Keith Roberts Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Keith Roberts  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K

Murphys, Ca
yes, sometimes the damper pedal is split to create two sections. The bass section felt may have come off and when you adjust the pedal, those dampers are held off the strings. That could be what it is if it's pervasive over the entire section. I have found loose screws and other stuff that affects a whole section but not bad felts. A few might be difficult to get right if you mess with them from the begining

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: AWilley] #2849770
05/18/19 10:43 PM
05/18/19 10:43 PM
Maine, USA
R
Rick_Parks Online content
Rick_Parks  Online Content
R

Maine, USA
Originally Posted by AWilley

If the problem is regulation (like spoons or damper tray holding the dampers barely on the string) then voicing probably won't help.
If the problem is dampers being on a node, voicing or replacing the felt with another of the same size probably won't fix it. (Bass dampers on old uprights are notoriously underbuilt BTW)

Find the worst damper and try your fix on that before you do the whole set. Good luck :-)

Good advice here... Definitely diagnose before you begin voicing or bending the damper wires, etc... Save a lot of time and heart-ache if it is something simple causing it.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
Re: Tips for dampers having damping issues? [Re: Rick_Parks] #2849776
05/18/19 11:43 PM
05/18/19 11:43 PM
PA
J
jsilva Online content OP
J

PA
Originally Posted by AWilley

Good advice here... Definitely diagnose before you begin voicing or bending the damper wires, etc... Save a lot of time and heart-ache if it is something simple causing it.

Thanks for all of the tips everyone! I appreciate it.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best source to download music?
by chasingrainbows. 05/21/19 10:34 PM
Tuning for Celebrities in Hollywood
by TimM_980. 05/21/19 07:45 PM
Tuning duplex scales?
by KylePNW. 05/21/19 05:08 PM
Syllabus, systems, and grades, oh my!
by Sibylle. 05/21/19 05:02 PM
Do you fall in love a lot?
by Sibylle. 05/21/19 04:42 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,094
Posts2,830,189
Members93,381
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission