Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
77 registered members (Bruce In Philly, albydooby, Bill McKaig,RPT, Akaitsuki, Apache, 22 invisible), 1,229 guests, and 515 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 58 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 57 58
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: millsj1134] #2848824 05/16/19 12:22 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by millsj1134
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Musescore 2 has really been having no issues that I have found when using it to export songs into PM. You just have to make sure that the tempo/metronome marking is not in the score or else the staves will be out of sync. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Yes, I use Musescore 2.3.2 right now Josh. I was wondering about Musescore 3.0.5 though. It sounds like PM still can't import scores from 3.0.5. Is that right?

I know Musescore 3 had issues a few months ago, however I just uploaded a piece onto PM with musescore 3.0.2 with no issues. 😀😀😀

I’ll update musescore and see if I’m still ok at 3.0.5

The issue was that one of our PW members found that there was no way to take the tempo off of a score with MuseScore 3 like you could do with Musescore 2, and with a mandatory tempo in the score, PM would struggle with it when uploaded.

After the initial report, many of us PM users (such as me) were afraid to upgrade from MuseScore 2 to MuseScore 3, for fear our PM uploads would stop working. It could be that the MuseScore developers have changed things in later dot releases of MuseScore 3 to make the tempo optional again.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: millsj1134] #2848841 05/16/19 12:46 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Hi Josh (or anyone else),

If I have sheet music from a book, and want to upload that into Piano Marvel for learning, how do I go about doing that? From the little research I’ve done, I think it requires manually creating a digital version first? Sounds like a time consuming process?

So, in my experience, transcribing a score from hand is very time consuming - it is always my last choice. My first choice is google searching "Rondo All Turca Musescore" to see if someone already made the musicxml that I can download and add some minor tweaks to and have it uploaded to PM in 5 minutes or so. If I can't find it on Musescore, then I use the $80 program called "Smart Score X2 Piano Edition" which scans scores and puts them into musicxml format. (https://www.musitek.com/smartscore-piano.html) I have used this program a lot and done this with some advanced and more obscure pieces. It can take some time getting used to editing the score in the program, but the 2 hours or so it takes me to use it is always worth it for being able to practice the piece in PM afterwards. (an easier not-so-advanced piece would probably be a super quick process...)

I recently stumbled onto a website this week called "Tunescribers" (https://www.tunescribers.com/) who makes musicxml's. I had one made for myself and it was really good! This is the way I would probably go if I couldn't find the sheet music for a song (like this one that I REALLY want to play one day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5650Ht8U0). I was quoted about $100 to get that song done by the software which I think would be worth it.... Tunescribers are awesome and I think worth the money.

To summarize, Smartscore is a great investment if you think that you will be scanning scores and putting them into PM quite frequently. For me, I only learn a song with PM, so having this software is a must.

If you may only learn a few songs in PM or don't want to learn how to import (or are super rich! lol) than Tunescribers is a great option for you. Tunescribers is also a great option for people that want a song transcribed but can't find sheet music for it anywhere. It took me 2 minutes or so to get my song that tunescribers did ready for PM. I love them and am so glad I got introduced to the company! smile

I find that there is no need to transcribe by reading a score and inputting it all by hand - for me, technology is good enough to get at least 50-60% of the work done (sometime's more) on the more advanced songs. Yes, my skills with Finale and Smartscore make this a better option for me, which I am fully aware of. If I can make a recommendation, I would say to start getting familiar with a notation software; having one will allow you to edit scores for PM. When I first started working for the company I thought editing would be a big and time-consuming process, but it's really not. Having a notation software will allow you to gain familiarity with how these types of softwares work and will make getting used to Smartscore alot easier since they are "somewhat" related.

I really hope this helps! If you all would like me to make a live-stream that discusses the topic of inputting music with Smartscore I would be happy to do it! Please let me know - I am happy to help show how to use PM to its full potential! smile

Best regards,
Josh Mills
josh@pianomarvel.com

Thanks Josh. Lots of useful info. Need time to digest it all, and maybe try some.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2848929 05/16/19 04:23 PM
M
millsj1134 Offline
M
Musescore 2 has really been having no issues that I have found when using it to export songs into PM. You just have to make sure that the tempo/metronome marking is not in the score or else the staves will be out of sync. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Yes, I use Musescore 2.3.2 right now Josh. I was wondering about Musescore 3.0.5 though. It sounds like PM still can't import scores from 3.0.5. Is that right?

I know Musescore 3 had issues a few months ago, however I just uploaded a piece onto PM with musescore 3.0.2 with no issues. 😀😀😀

I’ll update musescore and see if I’m still ok at 3.0.5

The issue was that one of our PW members found that there was no way to take the tempo off of a score with MuseScore 3 like you could do with Musescore 2, and with a mandatory tempo in the score, PM would struggle with it when uploaded.

After the initial report, many of us PM users (such as me) were afraid to upgrade from MuseScore 2 to MuseScore 3, for fear our PM uploads would stop working. It could be that the MuseScore developers have changed things in later dot releases of MuseScore 3 to make the tempo optional again.

I updated to 3.0.5 and was able to delete the tempo marking and make it work! 😀

I did notice, however, that on my PC I had to press the "delete" button (rather than the backspace button) to actually delete the metronome marking.

Feel free to message me if you cannot replicate this on your version of Musescore 3 - I'd be happy to help!

Josh Mills
josh@pianomarvel.com

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2849216 05/17/19 10:24 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Do any of you feel guilty about skipping Technique...because you HATE it? I especially hate the ear training exercises. Maybe that tells me I should not attempt RCM exams? Dang!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/17/19 10:25 AM.
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2849228 05/17/19 10:58 AM
TomInCinci Offline
Do any of you feel guilty about skipping Technique...because you HATE it? I especially hate the ear training exercises. Maybe that tells me I should not attempt RCM exams? Dang!

Yes! And the guilt is because I so often need the things I hate...

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TomInCinci] #2849237 05/17/19 11:13 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by TomInCinci

Yes! And the guilt is because I so often need the things I hate...

Like eating healthy and exercise? Me too. Lol

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/17/19 11:13 AM.
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2849244 05/17/19 11:27 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

I am at the age (65+) that I refuse to do anything I hate. The time I have left, I do the things I like to do, and technique is not part of it, except for some parts that I do like. And I don't feel guilty :p about it. I only wish I had started earlier in my life, so that all those boring exercises still had a purpose.

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2849334 05/17/19 03:21 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Though I won't say I love them, running through the technical exercises has been really helpful for my sight reading. The ear training I don't actually mind, as I don't do it with my teacher, so a it's a useful extra skill I'm gaining (all those interval training songs are now deeply stuck in my head!)

What I do hate though is getting through 99% of a really, really long one and then messing up the last note and having to to it ALL OVER AGAIN FROM THE START to hit my 100% target. Argh. It's especially frustrating with the ear training because it's not the most thrilling to listen to again and again.

Last edited by Chrispy; 05/17/19 03:21 PM.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Chrispy] #2849336 05/17/19 03:30 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
What I do hate though is getting through 99% of a really, really long one and then messing up the last note and having to to it ALL OVER AGAIN FROM THE START to hit my 100% target. Argh. It's especially frustrating with the ear training because it's not the most thrilling to listen to again and again.

That used to happen to me with computer games. Like why do they put the boss fights at the end of a level? LOL

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2849465 05/18/19 01:48 AM
M
Music&Lyrics Offline
M
Originally Posted by Sarah65

I am at the age (65+) that I refuse to do anything I hate. The time I have left, I do the things I like to do, and technique is not part of it, except for some parts that I do like. And I don't feel guilty :p about it. I only wish I had started earlier in my life, so that all those boring exercises still had a purpose.

John Mayall is on his US tour at the moment. He is 85.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozmKmgEQ7k

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Music&Lyrics] #2849477 05/18/19 03:28 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Music&Lyrics
[quote=Sarah65][quote=WeakLeftHand]
John Mayall is on his US tour at the moment. He is 85.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozmKmgEQ7k

Sounds like he does what he likes ... and I don't think he started playing the piano when he was 63 laugh

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2849478 05/18/19 03:35 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Copy of "Piano for beginners" on Facebook

BASIC MUSIC THEORY FOR ADULT BEGINNER-LEVEL PIANO PLAYERS

is now online at Basic music Theory
The INTROUCTION fully explains the scope and target audience for the Syllabus.
Any feedback from beginner-level players will be appreciated.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2849494 05/18/19 05:06 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
A tip to upload a piece faster. No more time-consuming counting of measures and start and end points. I upload, select "create exercise" and make one right hand, left hand and all. I do that in the left-hand column. If I then practice I go to "chopped" and I just select the measure that I want to work on (right, left or all) with the blue areas. wink

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2850176 05/19/19 09:36 PM
B
Bretts Offline
B
Finished level 5! Very happy. Now onto 6.... 1900 mins for the month. The honeymoon period isn't quite over yet.

I have been reading a few posts here, and am interested in trying to upload "Every breath you Take", so will give it a go this week. Fingers crossed.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Bretts] #2850231 05/20/19 03:44 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bretts
Finished level 5! Very happy. Now onto 6.... 1900 mins for the month. The honeymoon period isn't quite over yet.

I have been reading a few posts here, and am interested in trying to upload "Every breath you Take", so will give it a go this week. Fingers crossed.

Congrats!!! When uploading, do not forget to remove the tempo markings from both midi and musicxml. Otherwise in PM you get "unexpected error"

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2850594 05/21/19 02:45 AM
B
Bretts Offline
B
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. Still learning what all the markings mean. It will be a educational exercise.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2850900 05/21/19 08:44 PM
John_C Online Content
Online Content
I have a specific question about the lesson sequences in Level 1-Method. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks but tonight's practicing in PM really threw me for a loop.

I've completed lessons 1A and 1B in both Technique and Method (yeah, me!). Those lessons were really nothing but introductions to some of the white keys and some rhythm / ear-training.

But then I come to lesson 1C-Method. I was expecting introductions to more white keys as what would seem a 'natural' progression to me. Instead, I'm presented with some song named 'Peter Peter', some funky key signature, and playing by rolling your knuckles over the black keys. My mind was immediately thrown into a disarray. I mean, I got totally screwed up. I had to triple check my stats to make sure I didn't accidentally pull up some other lesson out of sequence but it's correct.

What is this knuckle-rolling stuff and why is it coming up now so early in the lesson queue? I really don't get it.

Last edited by John_C; 05/21/19 08:45 PM.

John_C - Colorado Springs
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: John_C] #2850906 05/21/19 09:25 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by John_C
I have a specific question about the lesson sequences in Level 1-Method. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks but tonight's practicing in PM really threw me for a loop.

I've completed lessons 1A and 1B in both Technique and Method (yeah, me!). Those lessons were really nothing but introductions to some of the white keys and some rhythm / ear-training.

But then I come to lesson 1C-Method. I was expecting introductions to more white keys as what would seem a 'natural' progression to me. Instead, I'm presented with some song named 'Peter Peter', some funky key signature, and playing by rolling your knuckles over the black keys. My mind was immediately thrown into a disarray. I mean, I got totally screwed up. I had to triple check my stats to make sure I didn't accidentally pull up some other lesson out of sequence but it's correct.

What is this knuckle-rolling stuff and why is it coming up now so early in the lesson queue? I really don't get it.

Your experience and reaction was the exact same as my experience and reaction when I encountered Peter Peter. I personally think it shouldn’t be there. It’s really out of place. However, if you watch the video and follow along, it’s really not too difficult to learn and once you do learn it, you’ll feel a great sense of accomplishment. It’s a fun song to play. Your knuckles might hurt practicing it though lol. As to why it’s there...maybe Josh can tell us.

I’m only in Method 3-A and Technique 2-B, but I haven’t experienced anything as jolting since Peter Peter. Some of those Technique exercises are tough though, that’s why I’m ahead in Method. One of these days, I’ll try to catch up in Technique.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/21/19 09:31 PM.
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: John_C] #2850956 05/22/19 02:10 AM
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John_C

It is a bit silly. I encountered it when I was playing through and wasn't watching the lesson videos. I pretty quickly realised that it was all black notes, but was trying it with my normal playing style with my fingers. I was doing quite well, but couldn't nail 100%. It was only then I watched the video and realised it was just a fun exercise (like how I learnt "Chopsticks" as a kid). I just did the knuckle rolling thing just because that meant I could move on. That exercise won't be the last difficult one, there are plenty more along the way. I really recommend not leaving technique behind - I still find some of the stuff I learnt in that side of PM useful in my playing and sight reading today.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2850969 05/22/19 03:38 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by akc42
[quote=John_C]

PM is for a wide audience, I think they have added Peter Peter as a nice rewarding thing for the children. And admit it, it's fun for us adults too to have a laugh. laugh

Page 38 of 58 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 57 58

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
dirty soundboard - help!!
by rdon1966 - 12/10/19 07:43 PM
It's "my" waltz!
by Sibylle - 12/10/19 06:18 PM
Couple of Q; Ca58
by peterws - 12/10/19 04:05 PM
Your 2019 Video Christmas Card from Me
by TromboneAl - 12/10/19 12:01 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,598
Posts2,900,446
Members95,204
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission